• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabal me excited - Destiny 2 Gameplay today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokkX

Surely this game will have space combat with your ship?

I expected that from D1, just felt so wierd getting new ships

If it still has no space flight - no thanks

I mean there's a Cabal attack on the Tower. How the hell do you expect Earth *not* to be a prominent setting?

I don't think that's not believable. We all assume quite a bit will happen on Earth.

The main worrying point is how extensive are these moons and why aren't we going to have access to places like Venus, Mars, Mercury, etc.

Bry0

More info from Reddit guy:

- He's saying that it's similar to D1 in that 90% of the leveling will be done through story stuff and then you'll have to move on to endgame content
I really wouldn't put it past bungie to make the story a bit more linear this time around. I wouldn't put it past them to lock the sparrow until you finish. I'm not saying I think it's a good choice. I'm just saying that that piece of info isn't enough to make me think it's all fake.
To condense the story into a leveling phase and then throw you a sparrow after you are 20 to explore more makes sense.

The most encouraging bit from the leaker so far:

Remember how TTK was a pretty short story with lots of end game? This is like a 10-15 hour story with lots more end game. I mean, some players might take 20 hours, but streamers will hit 20 by the end of the first day and start light leveling.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean there's a Cabal attack on the Tower. How the hell do you expect Earth *not* to be a prominent setting?

Because the rumored story is supposed to be about needing to go into deep space to find a way to take your home back.

Yes, I know some of it will take place on Earth. Perhaps the beginning and/or taking the Tower back. But no one was expecting the main play space to be on Earth or even one of the main play spaces.

This is a full fledged sequel to Destiny. We should be getting entirely new worlds to explore, not another place on Earth. I mean, the guy on Reddit even says it's the European Dead Zone, which we have already played in on a PvP map.

Foxxsoxx

Hey guys its ya boi destiny2leaker123 here I've got so much info about Destiny 2, PVP is comin back and it'll be better than before. Same for PVE, trust me when I say that it'll be bigger than D1 and you'll be goin different places too.

There will also be new weapons and even new armor and some classes will see some changes.

Until next time guys its ya boi destiny2leaker123. Peace.

Milennia

Hey guys its ya boi destiny2leaker123 here I've got so much info about Destiny 2, PVP is comin back and it'll be better than before. Same for PVE, trust me when I say that it'll be bigger than D1 and you'll be goin different places too.

There will also be new weapons and even new armor and some classes will see some changes.

Until next time guys its ya boi destiny2leaker123. Peace.

will it look better, i hope it looks better

gatti-man

Surely this game will have space combat with your ship?

I expected that from D1, just felt so wierd getting new ships

If it still has no space flight - no thanks

Why do you expect an FPS to have meaningful ship combat? At best it would be a side gimmick.

Foxxsoxx

will it look better, i hope it looks better

I can indeed confirm it looks better. I won't say how much better though I want that to be a surprise.

Trust me when I say that it is a pretty game ya know? You know how Destiny 1 was pretty? Well this is pretty like that but even better.

Bry0

Because the rumored story is supposed to be about needing to go into deep space to find a way to take your home back.

Yes, I know some of it will take place on Earth. Perhaps the beginning and/or taking the Tower back. But no one was expecting the main play space to be on Earth or even one of the main play spaces.

This is a full fledged sequel to Destiny. We should be getting entirely new worlds to explore, not another place on Earth. I mean, the guy on Reddit even says it's the European Dead Zone, which we have already played in on a PvP map.
What ever happened to Chicago? And I recall hearing about the European deadzone In a visor way before the game launched, and it was nowhere in the final product until the pvp map came with a dlc. Seriously, no franchise's development woes have ever enthralled me the way destiny's has. I'd love a massive post mortem from some bungie people one day.

LiK

A full-fledged story campaign ain't so surprising. That was one of the biggest complaints about D1 and Bungie knows.

The leaker on Reddit compares it to Horizon.

I mean, one of the first things I heard about D2 was about the leap in graphical fidelity. I dunno if its on Horizon's level - I haven't seen the game myself (D2) - but its visual fidelity & strong art direction has been iterated to me for years now.

Bold One

The leaker on Reddit compares it to Horizon.

I don't believe that

Zkp2sJO.gif

ocean

Banned

If by "no one" you mean yourself, sure. Other areas we've already seen I'll accept as wild cards but I doubt many players ever seriously considered Earth would be left behind as a major destination. It, uh, happens to be where all the people we're supposed to protect actually live. And where the attack on our leadership takes place.

At any rate, whether a playable area is interesting or not will depend on a lot of stuff - how large it is, what activities there are to do, whether exploration is rewarding, whether enemy encounters are static and stale and predictable (like current Patrol spawn rotations) or dynamic, whether Public events or their equivalent are fun... if they nail all of this on the European Dead Zone, or Guatemala or Venus or a Neptunian moon shouldn't be too big a deal.

Keep in mind D2 has over 1,000 people developing it and likely one of the biggest budgets in the entire history of this industry.

Who knows if it will look anywhere near Horizon but it's gonna look damn good regardless

SpokkX

Why do you expect an FPS to have meaningful ship combat? At best it would be a side gimmick.

There is precedence in Halo Reach

Destiny is supposed to be this big sci fi epic.. yet

- you cant fly ships
- you cant really explore planets (since they are more more like big halo levels)
- cant explore or even play is space - just a few levels with space background. No anti gravity gameplay
- cant interact with anything but some buttons

But yeah perhaps Destiny should be seen as just another FPS instead

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The original Destiny looked pretty good just needed big environments tbh.

Also if they can put in some Halo Reach style space combat then bring it on! It was only a level but Bungie can absolutely do space combat.

Well, I don't know if what he's saying is true. I'm just listing it here so people know what the buzz is.

But there is a guy here who is vouching for him, so idk.

I'm gonna say this - I ain't vouching for him. The only thing I know he's gotten right with certainty are class abilities & locations.

gatti-man

uhhh you know you're talking about Bungie right?

What does that even mean?

You know they did Sparrow racing like a year into the original game, right?

Yes and? Ship combat would be a tacked on gimmick if they even did it and people would just complain about a lack of updates and content for that part of the game. Sparrow racing is exactly the type of space combat we would get and it would be mediocre. Why even bother. Focus on making a good FPS.

LiK

The original Destiny looked pretty good just needed big environments tbh.

It was fantastic looking. People seem pretty cynical about what D2 will look like but let's remember this time it will be without the legacy ports holding it back.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
A full-fledged story campaign ain't so surprising. That was one of the biggest complaints about D1 and Bungie knows.

I hope they know. Because I'm not buying this game for a year after release unless I overwhelmingly hear otherwise. Even then, I'm not sure. For me, Bungie burnt all their Halo goodwill on Destiny 1.

LiK

I hope they know. Because I'm not buying this game for a year after release unless I overwhelmingly hear otherwise. Even then, I'm not sure. For me, Bungie burnt all their Halo goodwill on Destiny 1.

TTK was when they really tried to incorporate a story campaign of some sort. Here's hoping D2 complete blows it away.

More bits

- He says Crucible is changing to 4v4 because Bungie "tested it and found it more fun"

- Hints at the new heavy weapon type being grenade launchers

everyer

The crucible numbers alone are impressive as fuck. It's bigger than BF1 combined on all platforms.
And people say Destiny 2 won't be a big launch lol

TAT sorry, it's not the number that be counted at the same time, it's just how many players login and play the content in the past 24 hours.

The counting way is different.

But Destiny is still the NO.1 game that my PSN online friends playing with. On last september the percentage is over 90%, now it's among 20%~30% everyday.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What does that even mean?

Yes and? Ship combat would be a tacked on gimmick if they even did it and people would just complain about a lack of updates and content for that part of the game. Sparrow racing is exactly the type of space combat we would get and it would be mediocre. Why even bother. Focus on making a good FPS.

You acted as if it was weird that someone would expect a sequel to space game, in which you get a ship and use it to travel from planet to planet, would then give you the ability to control said ship, making it more than just a cosmetic item.

There's absolutely nothing strange about that. Fans have talked about the potential of space combat since Destiny 1 launched. This isn't some unheard of thing.

Edit: Shinobi's original leak even said Bungie has talked about ship gameplay.

gatti-man

More bits

- He says Crucible is changing to 4v4 because Bungie "tested it and found it more fun"

Casuals will hate 4v4 pvp because that leaves less room for dead weight. I always preferred trials pvp but I'm not sure I like this direction for just casual pvp.

You acted as if it was weird that someone would expect a sequel to space game, in which you get a ship and use it to travel from planet to planet, would then give you the ability to control said ship, making it more than just a cosmetic item.

There's absolutely nothing strange about that. Fans have talked about the potential of space combat since Destiny 1 launched. This isn't some unheard of thing.

It's not an unheard of request just a bizarre one. I think people that expect it are being a tad ridiculous. The game is an FPS with a sci-fi/space back drop. So yeah it's not a space shooter it's an FPS. Why do you want some tacked on garbage space combat in your FPS? Why wouldn't you want Bungie making the best game they can as opposed to wasting time developing a mini game inside an FPS? Just makes no sense at all when you actually think about it. Halos air/space combat was always garbage too. Do you really think it would be better than that?

Foxxsoxx

I really don't think space combat or flying ships would work well in Destiny honestly.

I think it would be really cool at first and then get old. Quick, real quick when you are constantly doing it.

As for PVP, if anything I really do hope they lower the player count to something less than 6v6, it's such a flustercluck.

ocean

Banned
More bits

Competitive PvP shifted to 4v4 the minute private games came out. It's the best fit for their map sizes and layouts. As for grenade launchers, that's been rumored since the "Mic" was data mined.

Destiny_Dubious_Waffe-buffed_b2article_artwork.jpg

BLCKATK

IIRC Shinobi's initial leak talked about new locations being front and center at launch and the return of old areas being post-launch support or DLC. That links up with the info this guy is bringing out now.

Large Earth zones (and a story about defending the remnants of the last city and reclaiming Earth) and other zones that may have familiar things but mostly new experiences. Then you bring back the old areas, shiny and new in the new engine with new shit, and you play into that nostalgia factor that players have already developed.

I dunno guys, this is sounding kinda plausible.

I'm gonna say this - I ain't vouching for him. The only thing I know he's gotten right with certainty are class abilities & locations.

I mean the locations and abilities have been leaked or rumored for quite some time. You can see the abilities in the fake but real character artwork that leaked out months ago and those locations have been rumored a lot too. Hell, there is concept art that exists for some of the locations from Destiny 1 pre-production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom