• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cafe Bich Nga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsayer

phokimlongfront.jpg

Awesome name, amazing food. They knew exactly what they are doing.

I took a few when I was in Saigon. Vietnamese seems like a constant source of fun for us English-speakers!

4y0rwNu.jpg

Everyone's favorite restaurant, Hang Dong.

IZvJ1ox.jpg

Oh, and the best cafe in town, Phuc Long.

Enjoy, gentlemen.
Saigon is a totally awesome city

S-Wind

I took a few when I was in Saigon. Vietnamese seems like a constant source of fun for us English-speakers!

4y0rwNu.jpg

No.

Read it again.

It says: Hang Duong, and that "D" is pronounced the same as the "y" in yam.

IZvJ1ox.jpg

Enjoy, gentlemen.

Man, these are really mundane for those of us who know Vietnamese. I'm like, "What's so interesting about a store that sells seafood???"

Near where I grew up there is a restaurant/cafe called Blancks

Outside there is a sign pointing the restroom in the restaurant.
To make sure people find it they have added the text Blancks to the sign...

Capitan

i don't have a picture of it, but i used to walk by this place, i think vietnamese, called:
Giap phuc dat

family dentistry

jimi_dini

This is a photoshop.

this has to be a photoshop.

http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/leadership/president.html

this is not a photoshop.

How the hell is something like this possible?

Robin G. Mahfood is President and Chief Executive Officer of Food For The Poor. As one of the original founders of Food For The Poor, Mahfood previously served as Executive Vice-President and Secretary of the organization’s Board of Directors. His leadership, strategic planning, and business acumen have helped rank the organization among the top run nonprofits in the country. Prior to assuming the Presidency of Food For The Poor, Mahfood was President and CEO of a family-owned business.

Mahfood has been described as a “spiritual businessman with a true heart for the poor.”

#dead

WalkMan

Banned
Man, these are really mundane for those of us who know Vietnamese. I'm like, "What's so interesting about a store that sells seafood???"

This is the racism on GAF I'm talking about. Belittling and making fun of another culture. Notice no one took time to actually figure out what the names really mean and appreciate that the owners actually do have good intentions in naming their businesses.

I actually live near the Cafe Bich Nga in the OP. It's about 2 miles from here.

Almost crashed my car the first time I saw it lol. The best part was some friends on Facebook started posting pictures of places with funny names like that, I told them to just pack it in, I'd already won. Went and took a picture of myself near the sign lol.

I pass this place every time I go to the movies, and it makes me chuckle every time.

For the curious, looks like the address is 4366, so that's 4366 Park Blvd Pinellas Park, FL.

Pinellas park is a shithole.

when I saw the 727 area code I knew it was Florida.

I've driven by that exact place. Pretty amusing.

I know where that is.

Tampa right? I almost took a photo myself.

Do you go to parkside theaters? If so thats pretty cool cus I go there too :D didnt know there was a gaffer that was around the pinellas park area!

Im in St Petersburg and there is a What the Pho about 150 yards from me and a Bich Nga about a mile from me.

They have awesome Pho.
They are two blocks from my mum's house.

I'm in Tampa!

Tampa/StPete Gaf meetup at the Bich Nga. It has to happen now.

Jak140

This is the racism on GAF I'm talking about. Belittling and making fun of another culture. Notice no one took time to actually figure out what the names really mean and appreciate that the owners actually do have good intentions in naming their businesses.
One side of my family is Vietnamese/Chinese and we laugh at signs like this all the time. I would wager that some of these are even intentional puns. Accusing people of racism over this seems pretty harsh imo; notice that several signs in this thread are English as well.

FStop7

Banned

Give me a pho king break. Half the pho joints in SoCal have pun names like "What the Pho" and they're Vietnamese owned.

Reminds me of that Russel Peters Standup bit about Pho pronounciation.

My ex-gf from Vietnam pronounced it F-uhhh.
My american friends always "correct" me with F-AHHHH. I intentionally say FOE all the time with my friends just to irrate them. Same with "Kerry-oh-key" (Ka-ra-o-ke.)

nampad

Didn't get the joke at first.

4y0rwNu.jpg

IZvJ1ox.jpg

Enjoy, gentlemen.

I lived 4 months 2 doors next to the restaurant you posted O_O
For Hang Dong you are forgetting about the U though.
Phuc Long also made me laugh. Another one was a delivery coffee shop called Bukkafe.

Didn't get the joke at first.

I lived 4 months 2 doors next to the restaurant you posted O_O
For Hang Dong you are forgetting about the U though.
Phuc Long also made me laugh. Another one was a delivery coffee shop called Bukkafe.

I left out the "u" on purpose. Is this the "racism" the other guy was talking about?
ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom