• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cali & Mass. votes to legalize weed; FL, N. Dakota & Arkansas approve medical weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Growing it is surprisingly easy. I don't think people realize how much weed you can get from 6 plants. You're talking pounds and pounds of weed. Weed industry is going to be like the micro brew shit going on today. Just a quick reminder. For first time users go SUPER easy on the edibles. Many of my friends who have been smokers for more than a decade don't do edibles.

I've been smoking for a decade. Recently was in Portland and got some mints which are 5 mg per mint. If I take three at once it's a decent high but nothing crazy. I only have three mints left and like half a bottle of tincture.

fixedpoint

Dude where are you located and what the hell are you eating? The only time I've ever had anything remotely close to a "psychedelic" experience from weed is when I ate a homemade cookie a friend got from a coworker that got me so high I felt like I was literally melting in to my couch and she said she was acutely aware of all her internal organs and was afraid if she moved they would spill out of her. I'm suspicious it was laced with something other than weed to this day because I have never had any kind of "psychedelic" experience from edibles, so I'm very curious what you're eating that has you getting so much more lit than smoking/vaping does that you'd call it "psychedelic". When I hear that word I think of seeing crazy colors and things that aren't there, shit you get from shrooms or LSD. (for the record I've only ever used pot, to my knowledge, unless there was something else in that cookie).
It can be pretty intense if you're not familiar with how your mind and body react. I melted like that after my first serious bong rips in college. Definitely a good learning experience though - taught me how to actually chill the fuck out. My first (and only) edible experience was eating what was probably a half ounce in a brownie on an international flight because the plane smelled like (my) weed. Needless to say I slept for the rest of the flight. For context, I'm old and this was a long time ago.

Nothing at all comparable to psilocybin or LSD, which can feel (depending upon your vibe going in) like a mentally geometric sunset whose warmth is helpfully and surprisingly informative, a thousand years at your first day of a new job, an intensely personal and contemplative visit to a really nice version of your back-yard, or something far worse if you're already stressed out. I'd encourage most people to try a few mushrooms when in a good mood and in a safe and supportive environment - can be quite insightful.
All well and good until trump tells the dea to start enforcing the federal laws
Haven't you heard, Trump's pick for head of the DEA is the cookie monster. Or was that Secretary of the Interior can't remember too much oh wait weed isn't legal here

NandoGip

Shout out Framingham, MA

D4ZA0Zz.jpg

tariniel

So it's legal to possess and smoke in Cali now, but is it legal to buy from people? I know that permits for official sale will go out in 2017/18. I really want to smoke but have no idea where to get any without a medical card.

Meatfist

So it's legal to possess and smoke in Cali now, but is it legal to buy from people? I know that permits for official sale will go out in 2017/18. I really want to smoke but have no idea where to get any without a medical card.

From what I understand, it's perfectly okay to be gifted weed from those who obtain it with their medical card, they just can't sell it to you. So if you ask your buddy to buy you up to an ounce and he just so happens to find cash in his jacket pocket the next day, you're fine

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What are the odds on f being caught taking weed cross state boundaries. Asking for a friend...

Not that high but if you're caught, you're fucked, especially when it's from a legal state into an illegal one. That risk/reward. Just exhibit common sense when driving things around like that.

From what I understand, it's perfectly okay to be gifted weed from those who obtain it with their medical card, they just can't sell it to you. So if you ask your buddy to buy you up to an ounce and he just so happens to find cash in his jacket pocket the next day, you're fine

Ask him if he's a cop first.

Jarnet87

I know Cali was easy. In FL the amendment listed specific medical issues and I feel like the state is going to construe this as narrowly as possible. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any more specific information about it. Maybe it's still too early to know.

No way Florida Man makes it simple and easy like Cali at least not at first. I have no faith in my state

Plenty of people have medical cards that doesn't actually need them, is that the reason you don't want one? Even though I have mine for panic attacks/anxiety/insomnia, the amount of time I spend in the office when I renew my card is comical. Three times there and I don't think I've ever spent more than 2-3 minutes talking to a doctor.

Plus if you have a medicinal card once it's available widely I believe you get some kind of tax break by having the card, so, bonus!

Couleurs

What are the odds on f being caught taking weed cross state boundaries. Asking for a friend...

Here in Colorado, cops are often sitting near the Kansas/Nebraska/Wyoming borders hoping to nab people for traffic violations as an excuse to search the car as soon as you cross state lines.

I imagine cops in neighboring states will be doing the same thing for the states that just legalized.

It's lit in MA. That's all I got to say.

Not for another month, buddy! Toss you in jail!

I'm kinda bummed that the dispensaries won't open until January 2018, so we're in this gray period where (after December 15) it'll be legal to possess marijuana and smoke marijuana on private property, but it will still be illegal to buy it or sell it. I don't smoke a lot of weed, very rarely, maybe a handful of times a year, but I'd just like to go into the store and buy some marijuana. The handful of times I buy marijuana, I fucking hate doing so... Either I'm turning one of my friends into a drug dealer or I have to go into some guys house.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oklahoma just lowered drug possession from a felony to a misdemeanor. Progress?

Daingurse

Oh poor you. Try living in Texas. Probably gonna be one of the last states to get legal weed.

Hey, people still getting locked up for weed out here is fucked up. It's more than just a mere inconvenience for me. That's why I'm mad in all honesty. My brother is at risk of getting locked up. So yeah, 205 not passing pissed me off.

Damn so it would've barely won with everything else, but Framingham put it over the top
Well, we didn't see Boston in there. I bet that helped a lot. I voted yes and many many others I know from the Boston area.
Oklahoma just lowered drug possession from a felony to a misdemeanor. Progress?
My memory is a bit foggy, but in MA, we voted it to be a misdemeanor, then ok for medical, and now it will be legal to buy. All within 15 years or so. So, yes it's progress for you, hopefully. I'm an optimistic person.

I'm so mad that Prop 205 didn't pass here in AZ. Now I gotta renew my card lol.

I'm annoyed about it (not as a user, but as a reasonable person who knows it just makes sense to legalize), but I knew it was never going to pass this time around (still voted for it anyway). It does also suck a bit on a personal level though, since my dad does the security systems for all the big medical dispensaries/growers in the state and has good relationships with them all, so full legalization would have been a big financial boon for the family business with all of the new contracts he would have definitely gotten.

jbug617

Banned
Shady set back in Massachusetts. Retail sales of marijuana has been delayed from January 2018 to June 2018
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-massachusetts-marijuana-idUSKBN14H1PW

Massachusetts lawmakers on Wednesday pushed through a surprise six-month delay in the retail sale of marijuana for recreational use, saying they needed more time to tinker with a legalization measure that voters approved last month.

Meeting during a holiday-shortened week, the state's House and Senate voted to push back the licensing of cannabis shops from Jan. 1, 2018, until July 1 that year, according to a copy of the legislation posted online.

The delay frustrated those who championed a Nov. 8 ballot measure, easily approved by voters, to allow use of the drug by adults 21 and older in private places.

Personal possession, use and cultivation became legal on Dec. 15, making Massachusetts one of eight U.S. states to take that step since voters in Washington and Colorado first approved the idea in 2012. Wednesday's legislation does not change that.

Hanging over all the states is what action President-elect Donald Trump will take after he is sworn in on Jan. 20. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and legalization by the states has occurred only because of the blessing of the outgoing Obama administration.

Massachusetts Senate President Stan Rosenberg, a Democrat, cited public health and safety as reasons for the delay in retail sales.

"This short delay will allow the necessary time for the legislature to work with stakeholders on improving the new law," he said in a statement.

"Luckily, we are in a position where we can learn from the experiences of other states to implement the most responsible recreational marijuana law in the country," he said.

The legislation pushes back all deadlines related to retail sales, taxes and regulation. A "cannabis control commission" that was to be appointed by March 1 is given a Sept. 1 deadline to take shape.

Legalization advocates learned of the legislation only on Tuesday night, said Jim Borghesani, who ran the campaign to legalize marijuana in Massachusetts.

"We're very disappointed with what they did and with the way they did it," he said. "We're disappointed that they extended this awkward period we're in now where possession is legal but sales are not."

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Good job legislators, black market sales gonna be flushed for another six months. A mixture of legalization but nowhere to legally buy it for over a year. A win for cartels and local gangs. Funny seeing as they already have good frames to work with with Colorado, Washington and Oregon.

I hope this rolls out smoothly in Maine, but considering LePage and the rest of the old ass windbags in this state, I'm expecting some bullshit to happen.

My office sent out the "we know it's legal but we'll still fire you for it" email yesterday.

If I didn't get paid so much I'd be upset.

When they get their heads out of their asses I want to try some edibles.

My office sent out the "we know it's legal but we'll still fire you for it" email yesterday.

If I didn't get paid so much I'd be upset.

When they get their heads out of their asses I want to try some edibles.
If they test everyone at my place of employment, 3/4 would be gone. I'm getting high tonight fuck that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom