• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Governor Says His State Will Be a Sanctuary for Science Under Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrarh

Nice speech, but if he was serious about climate change, he would do something about the horrible transportation infrastructure. Put money into creating alternatives to driving.

Californians need to work on letting people build higher density housing first. You guys have horrible infrastructure because it was overbuilt and all the subdivisions were never gonna generate enough tax money to support the autocentric environment. But yeah, moving away from the car based infrastructure would do wonders for reducing carbon footprint. Don't need fancy climate scientists and silicon valley engineers for that.

Best Coast is the Real America.

the irony in this is that california is the state with the largest percentage of its population being immigrants

i think it's something around 30% while most states are below 10%

it's the least American part of America, and that's part of why it's a "sanctuary for science" or whatever the latest spin is

but what do i know. clearly the best way to "make Americans great again" is by putting an anti-science anti-education fake-news-propagandizing fascist in the oval office

Nafai1123

Banned
the irony in this is that california is the state with the largest percentage of its population being immigrants

i think it's something around 30% while most states are below 10%

it's the least American part of America, and that's part of why it's a "sanctuary for science" or whatever the latest spin is

but what do i know. clearly the best way to "make Americans great again" is by putting an anti-science anti-education fake-news-propagandizing fascist in the oval office

Having a higher immigrant population should make it more American, not less. We are a country of immigrants after all.

Cocaloch

That seems a bit melodramatic, no one is about to lose tenure. The issue isn't that Brownshirts are going to be walking around jailing scientists for doing climate research, it's that the funding will dry up.

giphy.gif

Fuck yeah California. Resist the bullshit as much as you can.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
How long until the rust belt becomes the dust belt and climate change comes a knockin for the most ignorant?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
People come here to drink our water but our water (not all) comes from the Colorado River.

Unless Jerry meant water as a metaphor for tech jobs. I dunno.

He means the water in the Silicon Valley area, which comes from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir, routinely named as some of the best municipal water in the world. And no, it's not running out. The water shortage in California is centered around the agricultural industry, not residential usage.

Maybe hippy-dippy Governor Moonbeam should go back to dating Linda Ronstadt instead of getting in the way of Trump's America!

Laieon

Texas is still the best, stupid politicians aside.

Just kidding. I wasn't too impressed with California when I visited LA and San Francisco (especially LA), and I doubt I'll ever afford to live there anyway. After living in Houston for most of my life and then moving to Korea, I want somewhere where it snows.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Yes, please come to California scientists, we need more jobs. Give us all your green energy jobs please! Especially in Los Angeles!

Tigress

I will happily live in the west coast bubble until this all blows over.

Yeah. Not in California but glad to be on the west coast and another liberal state, Washington. I would not complain if we separated (the whole west coast) and made our own country.

numble

Newsom is running for governor in 2018. He has been sitting in that useless Lt. Governor position for 8 years because he could not beat Brown.

Since if he wins, he only enters office in 2019, it is very unlikely that he'll start campaigning for president a couple of months after entering office (the first primary debates, going by this year's schedule would be in August of 2019).

Guys, the whole water thing needs to stop. California is fine with the water we have now. The cities will survive, thrive even because they use less than twenty percent consumed in the state. It's the agriculture that will suffer but it's only a very small fraction of our economy anyway. It's the rest of the country that will feel it in higher produce prices if shit comes to shoves.

Guys, the whole water thing needs to stop. California is fine with the water we have now. The cities will survive, thrive even because they use less than twenty percent consumed in the state. It's the agriculture that will suffer but it's only a very small fraction of our economy anyway. It's the rest of the country that will feel it in higher produce prices if shit comes to shoves.

true, but the (lack of) urban planning is still a bit sad

tons of the bay area has some of the best farmland in the world, but we decided to build cities here and put farms in the desert

BigDug13

Is it wrong for me to think that California is going to grow from this election to be the state of sanity, science, and reality? Will more Democrats move to Cali?

Nice speech, but if he was serious about climate change, he would do something about the horrible transportation infrastructure. Put money into creating alternatives to driving.

He already got the ball rolling. His instructed Caltrans to start using VMT instead of LOS (this will incentive dense Transit oriented developments), accelerated environmental reviews for green and public transit projects and he has championed the bullet train from Sacramento down to SD.

true, but the (lack of) urban planning is still a bit sad

tons of the bay area has some of the best farmland in the world, but we decided to build cities here and put farms in the desert

If anything this is actually for the best. You got most of your people in the more temperate areas of the state, so the need to air-conditioning and heating is lessened.The farms can either go away or live under plastic down the line.

If anything this is actually for the best. You got most of your people in the more temperate areas of the state, so the need to air-conditioning and heating is lessened.The farms can either go away or live under plastic down the line.

Maybe it's just because I'm from the central valley originally, but farmers are Californians too. A lot of them shitty Republicans but still Californians. And also, that's kind of the best agricultural land in the world. We should continue using it.

Kthulhu

Hey Hey Hey "Jerry" you are sounding an awful lot like Texas with that speech.

Texas and California...due to perhaps the heavy Spanish/Mexican influence will remain two sides of the same coin...the Yin and the Yang . . .

Rick Perry is an idiot...Many Texans will tell you that.

He also isn't governor anymore. We now have a monster named Greg Abbott.

J.EM1

Newsom is running for governor in 2018. He has been sitting in that useless Lt. Governor position for 8 years because he could not beat Brown.

Since if he wins, he only enters office in 2019, it is very unlikely that he'll start campaigning for president a couple of months after entering office (the first primary debates, going by this year's schedule would be in August of 2019).
Newsom will be up against former LA mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Will be an interesting bout.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Jeffrey

I'd also expect California to continue to try and be strict on environmental issues regardless of what happens on the federal level. They're usually more strict than the federal standards already.

California to be first US state to adopt energy-saving rules for computers & monitors

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1325108

It's good to remember that with how huge of a market California is, many industries will bend to their stricter stuff.

Like there is no reason for Ford to spend R&D on a coal powered car if Cali or New York won't allow you to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom