• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

california is a mistake

NeoGiffer

gordon-ramsay-get-out.gif

Smiggs

I’ve never heard of a scooped bagel. Carving it out to reduce calories? No one needs to do that in NYC where you walk everywhere.
I think that dude needs to carve his head out of his own ass :ROFLMAO: You would think if you have a very odd or specific request, you'd at least explain it to the person at the counter instead of assuming someone all the way across the country is familiar with your bizarre eating habits.

Bry0

Why would you want that?
“I’d like a bagel with less bagel”

Next he’s gonna go to Chicago and ask for ketchup on his hotdog.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I just looked it up, and it does sound like a good way to use a bagel if you wanna use it for a sandwich style or something. Get some more chicken salad in there or something.

Power Pro

Next he’s gonna go to Chicago and ask for ketchup on his hotdog.
What's wrong with ketchup on a hot dog? If i have basic condiments, I usually go with ketchup and yellow mustard. If we have it, I like some sauerkraut, but still put some ketchup on there. Chili dogs i don't really add anything else.

TheUsual

Gold Member
What's wrong with ketchup on a hot dog? If i have basic condiments, I usually go with ketchup and yellow mustard. If we have it, I like some sauerkraut, but still put some ketchup on there. Chili dogs i don't really add anything else.
It's just a Chicago thing. A proper Chicago hot dog won't have it on it - it's already stacked with other ingredients.

People will tease if you ask for it on a hot dog in general and I've never seen a person actually flip out.

Funny enough, my favorite ketchup is from a Chicago company : 78 Tomato Ketchup.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I didn't know there was a word for this but I do this to my bagels sometimes if I'm taking one to work sandwich-style, just fits more cream cheese in there with less squishing out when you bite. I wouldn't order one this way ... come to think of it I've never ordered a bagel at a takeout place in my life. If I'm getting a togo breakfast somewhere it's gonna be a sausage breakfast sandwich or breakfast burrito.

Last edited:

Mistake

Seems to me, food trends today are just people finding ways to blow money out their ass. You see those avocado toast jokes, but it's a real thing. I do remember growing up and always hearing about fad diets, so maybe I'm paying more attention now that I have a budget to manage

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Seems to me, food trends today are just people finding ways to blow money out their ass. You see those avocado toast jokes, but it's a real thing. I do remember growing up and always hearing about fad diets, so maybe I'm paying more attention now that I have a budget to manage
Nothing screams this more than checking out /r/wewantplates

Great place to laugh at terrible food presentations but you know you're blowing money out the wazoo as well

Woggleman

This is the same state that gave us pineapple on pizza. I lived in NYC for eight years and the rest of the time lived in NJ so to me that is damn near a crime against humanity.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is the same state that gave us pineapple on pizza. I lived in NYC for eight years and the rest of the time lived in NJ so to me that is damn near a crime against humanity.
One of kids and my wife loves pineapple on their pizza… I don’t get it. It’s so gross.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Weird so many here have never heard of scooped out bagels. Yeah its definitely a bit of a fruity thing to do. Might be more of a northeastern thing as well.

People have their sub sandwich bread scooped out as well where I live.

(And I admit Ive done it a few times. Sometimes you just dont want that extra bread and just wanna get right to the meaty goodness)

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
By just looking at the thread title I was reminded of my mild mannered tourist friend who got lost in LA as it was getting dark & glimpsed a small mexican child quickly dropping his shorts in an alley, took a shit then gave him the finger as he ran away.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Weird so many here have never heard of scooped out bagels. Yeah its definitely a bit of a fruity thing to do. Might be more of a northeastern thing as well.

People have their sub sandwich bread scooped out as well where I live.

(And I admit Ive done it a few times. Sometimes you just dont want that extra bread and just wanna get right to the meaty goodness)
I lived in Brooklyn for years and never heard of a scooped bagel. I never heard of it until yesterday. I’ve never seen a person order one. I’ve never talked to someone about their preferences for scooped bagels. It’s absolutely not a thing here.

and btw the point of a bagel is the bread lmao. I guess if a place cannot make a good bagel they will say take the bread out and fill it with meat we get from other place.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Never heard of scooped bagels until now. Honestly, if I was forced to have a bagel I’d probably try it this way. But bread and bagels are my least favourite type and it’s probably smarter to just avoid eating shitty food than going out of your way to have it in a slightly more palatable form.

Top Bottom