• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Flame_AC

giphy.gif

Hey there! I'm TheWorthyEdge and I'm a replacement! I see that 2 people have come to their demise. One good, and one bad.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of things? Why is everyone pointing at Blarg and for what
he can be a character as seen from last game ;D
?

I'll be going through looking for anything I deem suspicious. It's good to be in a game of mafia again. I love it!

Day 1 had a couple of different bandwagons, Neuromancer, Lone_Prodigy, Blarg, Tucah, Blarg, and Tucah again.

Neuro's defense was being new, as was LP's. Blarg was, and still is, seen by many as not helping the town and only being a distraction for meaningful discussion. Tucah was a candidate based on Sorian's speculation that unfortunately turned out to be wrong.

As the day came to a close, votes were close on both Blarg and Tucah and the Blarg side relented, on the condition that he die should he give us nothing meaningful today. Meaningful, as in, he seemed to have a lot of information that he decided to hide behind puzzles for whatever reason. He is likely third party and will probably be lynched barring a major Cultist candidate appearing.

Sorian

Banned
Day 1 had a couple of different bandwagons, Neuromancer, Lone_Prodigy, Blarg, Tucah, Blarg, and Tucah again.

Neuro's defense was being new, as was LP's. Blarg was, and still is, seen by many as not helping the town and only being a distraction for meaningful discussion. Tucah was a candidate based on Sorian's speculation that unfortunately turned out to be wrong.

As the day came to a close, votes were close on both Blarg and Tucah and the Blarg side relented, on the condition that he die should he give us nothing meaningful today. Meaningful, as in, he seemed to have a lot of information that he decided to hide behind puzzles for whatever reason. He is likely third party and will probably be lynched barring a major Cultist candidate appearing.

No fun Flame, should have let him get his bearings on his own. I wanted that fresh perspective.

Flame_AC

Oh, and I suppose, welcome to the best game of Season 3. ;)

My post above only covers some of the highlights, so as Sorian suggested, please do read up on the game.

And, I'm totally stealing this from Rats.
EKHemZG.png

Don't mess up our happy little abode.

El Topo

I heard someone called Flame_AC is spreading dirty, filthy lies about the vastly superior Gafia games? Wait, Rats made that? Of course someone called Rats would make something like that.

I've gotta stay classy so here, have a vote

VOTE: The WorthyEdge

I'd rather you read through the thread, get your own bearings, and tell us your thoughts based on having a fresh pair of eyes. You literally replaced someone who did nothing so you are a 100% fresh roll to us. As such, it wouldn't be a greeting if I didn't suspect you right away. Take your time and let us know what you think has been odd between the whole game.

Aw thanks! :D

Cmon man...ruined the fun. ;)

Oh, and I suppose, welcome to the best game of Season 3. ;)

My post above only covers some of the highlights, so as Sorian suggested, please do read up on the game.

And, I'm totally stealing this from Rats.
EKHemZG.png

Don't mess up our happy little abode.

Haha. Yah. A game I'm in never goes orderly. Just check out the first day from the Star Wars thread.

nin1000

Banned
Meaningful, as in, he seemed to have a lot of information that he decided to hide behind puzzles for whatever reason. He is likely third party and will probably be lynched barring a major Cultist candidate appearing.

I can't wait for him to give us some helpful information even though I expect him to be just Blargonaut and post a wall of cryptic text that does not really help anyone in this game. I am patient for now with him but my patience has limits.

Flame_AC

I can't wait for him to give us some helpful information even though I expect him to be just Blargonaut and post a wall of cryptic text that does not really help anyone in this game. I am patient for now with him but my patience has limits.

If he shows up, and we get a bunch more cryptic puzzles, he's a goner.

Sorian

Banned

So help me, if he opens his first post with a puzzle, I'm just calling for a policy lynch right then.

I don't actually mean that, ending a day early accomplishes nothing for us

Darryl

Banned
Since the mechanic is starting to come out, the cube being used will turn the player insane. So if you plan to use it and want to convert to mafia, you're not going to come forward.

Blarg always has reason. ALWAYS. No matter what. If its a puzzle, there's something in the puzzle that will help us. Whatever he says make sure to look at it and analyze it.

nin1000

Banned
Since the mechanic is starting to come out, the cube being used will turn the player insane. So if you plan to use it and want to convert to mafia, you're not going to come forward.

Oh hell, I did not think about that. That is a very good reason for someone to stay silent. Well did you use the item daryll ;)

Sorian

Banned

Does this mean that the chance of death thing was a lie? Or is it guaranteed insanity with a small chance of death?

Sorian

Banned
There is a chance to die on every use but it's guaranteed insanity.

Am I missing something by the way? Do we actually know what being insane means? I was assuming being insane just means that you've been converted to the cult but that has to be wrong if the item has a 100% chance of making you insane.

So it turns you insane, can kill you based by chance and it is given to another player?

This is a good question too, Darryl, you don't have the item anymore, correct?

Darryl

Banned
Am I missing something by the way? Do we actually know what being insane means? I was assuming being insane just means that you've been converted to the cult but that has to be wrong if the item has a 100% chance of making you insane.

This is a good question too, Darryl, you don't have the item anymore, correct?

I don't have it anymore. I have no idea what it means. I asked for clarifying text and all I got was that the effect was temporary.

Zatoth

Lone_Prodigy's message:

All hail Cthulhu, the One True God (OTG). May he fashion a hut out of your bones, bind them with your entrails, and line it with your skin. And then kill you all.

[The rest of this message was deemed NSFH (Not Safe For Humanity).]

ultron87

If Darryl's item turns someone insane I can't see insane as being "joining the Cult". It'd be much too easy for that to quickly spiral out of control and lead to a unbeatable Cult position as people can't resist joining up.

Maybe it's just something like you can't post for a day?

Sorian

Banned
If Darryl didn't kill LP with his time cube powers, it seems fairly clear that Blarg is the one who did so.

Not necessarily. There's plenty of precedent that Blarg has a lot of big talk. There could be an actual serial killer/vigilante role that didn't paint a huge red X on their head during day 1. Unfortunately (for Blarg), we are going to have to kill him before we know whether that is the case or not.

One thing I found kind of weird as we got to the nearing of Day 1 was Never Forever. He was like "I don't see a reason to vote for Tucah" and then Votes Tucah without saying anything...

Sorian

Banned
Maybe it's just something like you can't post for a day?

I would hope this can't be it. It would be too confusing trying to separate people who have quit the game from people who are acting suspiciously, whether forced or not. That's how we killed Tucah on the first day.

Sorian

Banned
One thing I found kind of weird as we got to the nearing of Day 1 was Never Forever. He was like "I don't see a reason to vote for Tucah" and then Votes Tucah without saying anything...

I'm disappointed, you missed his post just a few above that one. He said he would vote for Tucah if it seemed like the LP vote would fail because I was on board with letting Blarg live for the day. The LP vote was losing its steam so he switched, as promised.

ultron87

I would hope this can't be it. It would be too confusing trying to separate people who have quit the game from people who are acting suspiciously, whether forced or not. That's how we killed Tucah on the first day.

I'd expect were this how the condition works it'd be announced that the player is insane at the start of the day, to avoid such issues.

Flame_AC

Purely guessing here, but if I was to include an insanity mechanic, I'd make it have to do something with the voting. Something like their vote doesn't count for the person they intended it to, they're unable to use their role during the night as well. Perhaps also make it so that no actions can be done on them during that night as well.

Sorian

Banned
I'd expect were this how the condition works it'd be announced that the player is insane at the start of the day, to avoid such issues.

That's fair. I'd still have to say that's not it though. We've went through a full day and night and I imagine the insanity mechanic must have to do with more than just the Orb item because we could go this whole game with no one using the orb in fear of becoming insane. It would be a wasted mechanic if it wasn't already forced on someone. I'd bet we have some insane folks already.

Timeaisis

For the record, here's the list of players that at one point in time voted for Lone_Prodigy:

NeverForever
Rats Off To Ya
Darryl
RetroMG
Flame_AC
Sorian
Droplet

I think that's everyone, but if I missed you, let me know.

Now, this doesn't clear them 100%, but it's more likely they are town than cultists. There is of course a chance cultists voted for LP to blend in when they knew the vote was shifting towards Tucah, though.

Not accusing you Sorian, but once the bandwagon got pretty full of votes for LP, you started diverting votes towards Tucah. I know you admitted to such, which is points in your favor, but can you speak to this move? I will admit that you almost swayed me to change my vote from Blarg to Tucah.

I'm disappointed, you missed his post just a few above that one. He said he would vote for Tucah if it seemed like the LP vote would fail because I was on board with letting Blarg live for the day. The LP vote was losing its steam so he switched, as promised.

Ahhhh okay, but why would he not go with what he thinks and jump on a bandwagon? See this is the thing. In previous mafia games the mafia were usually in between. Saying what they would say if they were a town but also jumping on a bandwagon to not look super suspicious and seeing that their idea wasn't going the way they wanted. They always had something in their words that made it seem like they were on the side of the town without blatantly showing that they had an agenda of their own but the tourists were missing it.

Sorian

Banned
Purely guessing here, but if I was to include an insanity mechanic, I'd make it have to do something with the voting. Something like their vote doesn't count for the person they intended it to, they're unable to use their role during the night as well. Perhaps also make it so that no actions can be done on them during that night as well.

The voting mechanic is good and might be something we should test (if we can), the rest of that sounds more likely though. Insanity could be a temporary role that overrides your current one. Maybe it has it's own power or maybe it just forces someone to act like an ordinary role until it wears off.

Darryl

Banned

Yea, it's weird. It's why I'm suggesting there is a third faction. Cultists, Town, & A Holy faction. Perhaps insanity is a temporary condition until either hit by a night action by cultists or third faction players. Cultists will flip them cult. Third faction will flip them back town. Unless third faction hits a cultists, in which they'd probably just die. Which is probably what just happened.

Flame_AC

Ahhhh okay, but why would he not go with what he thinks and jump on a bandwagon? See this is the thing. In previous mafia games the mafia were usually in between. Saying what they would say if they were a town but also jumping on a bandwagon to not look super suspicious and seeing that their idea wasn't going the way they wanted. They always had something in their words that made it seem like they were on the side of the town without blatantly showing that they had an agenda of their own but the tourists were missing it.

Basically, we were out of time, and Sorian had made it so that Tucah had enough votes to tie Blarg. People who didn't have an opinion on either were going to have to make the decision for everyone and so we compromised to conditionally lynch Tucah, with Blarg to come later barring a miracle.

For example:

Cultist group wants to get rid of Tourist 4 because they think he could have power BUT tourists are kind of on the edge and they think that Tourist 2 could be a cultist.

Cultist 1 would go in and say "Yooo. Tourist 4 has been mighty suspicious just go look at X and Y and compare it to Z. I mean if you guys don't see it then I guess I kind of see Tourist 2 being a cultist so if you don't want to vote Tourist 4 then I'll vote for Tourist 2 with you guys."

They then will see as the tourists point out his flaws that he now fully sees why they should accuse Tourist 2.

Droplet

Yea, it's weird. It's why I'm suggesting there is a third faction. Cultists, Town, & A Holy faction. Perhaps insanity is a temporary condition until either hit by a night action by cultists or third faction players. Cultists will flip them cult. Third faction will flip them back town. Unless third faction hits a cultists, in which they'd probably just die. Which is probably what just happened.

Do you think Blarg killed LP?

Sorian

Banned
Not accusing you Sorian, but once the bandwagon got pretty full of votes for LP, you started diverting votes towards Tucah. I know you admitted to such, which is points in your favor, but can you speak to this move? I will admit that you almost swayed me to change my vote from Blarg to Tucah.

It looks bad knowing what we know now on day 2. That's why when Rats alluded to it right after night results were posted, I called myself on my bad vote immediately. Honestly? It was just bad timing, I said countless times that I didn't want to place my real suspicion until we were less than 24 hours away from the close of voting only because I wanted to gather as much info as I could. The exact 24 hour mark was when I was still at work and I knew I'd want to make a few long posts so I waited the 4-5 hours until I got home before detailing all of my suspicions and voting for Tucah, that just happened to line up with the LP bandwagon kicking things up in high gear.

I never really thought Prodigy was a cultist though, he had me fooled as a new player messing up and I thought our time was better spent lynching an inactive tourist who also showed signs of cult.

Fair, I'm still taking my strict policy of not defending anyone else because I still don't know who to trust but I am curious to see what NF has to say now. Any thing else you've noticed? This observation could be useful so I'm curious if you have more.

Sorian

Banned

In this scenario, what is that holy factions win condition?

Sorian

Banned
I think we all generally think Blarg killed LP.

Maybe, he never had me convinced of actually being a serial killer. I actually expected his target to be you Flame. That was too obvious though so he may have decided to kill of our next highest votee.

Top Bottom