• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Just when I thought my productivity at work would go back to normal. We vote him out for two reasons. 1) A neutral role is always going to be self-serving. As a secret entity, Blarg's role would have been very pro-town but now that we know about him and what his death brings, he has become much more self-serving in his endeavors. He still needs to kill cultists but he also wants to stay alive as long as possible. 2) The more obvious, I want him dead because we benefit from his death. We block the cultists from killing tonight while still having a third party that can kill. The night isn't a complete waste because that one death will still provide needed information.

What does the bolded even mean? I don't think anything about Blarg's role is a lie at this point. My suggestion is based completely on what we know is all of Blarg's role text at this point.

---

I'm not going to let you shut me up until you all fucking kill me.

20 people left.

Lynch me: 2 dead/gone Neutrals, only 1 possible Town death by 3rd party, because I'd be cock-blocking the Cult tonight. The Neutrals' identities were already confirmed. You gain nothing from lynching me, and allowing Matt Attack to fly away. You end up with only 1 death that gives you any usable info. The pool of suspects for Day 3 becomes 17, max.

Don't lynch me: 3 possible Town deaths (1 lynch today, 2 tonight via Cult and/or 3rd party). A smart Cult won't kill me or Matt Attack tonight because we're already known quantities. It's only Day 2. By allowing this maximum of 3 deaths to occur, you PHYSICALLY lower the pool of suspects to 17. No speculation. Just hard death. Plus with me and Matt Attack as known quantities already, that CONFIRMED lowers the pool of suspects by Day 3 to 15, max.

That Night 1 power role death was a fluke, a lucky strike in the dark by the Cult. It's Night 1, it couldn't be anything else. There are still enough bodies in play for the odds of another power role being killed tonight to be acceptably low.

Coppanuva

You guys do realize that just cuz we spare Blarg don't mean that he's not a target for the cult, right? Their goal is to reduce the population of non-cultists to zero, and if they can get closer t' that goal while simultaneously preventin' us from kill-blockin' them for a night, who's to say they won't bump him off right away?

This is what I think. If you look at it math-wise, any case in which we don't kill Blargonaut is favorable to the Cultists. Right now, we're unlikely to lynch a cultist from a number point of view (also, if you lynch me, you're guaranteed a tourist kill anyhow). Let's look at it this way:

We lynch Blargonaut, cultists can't lynch, 2nd night kill happens regardless. This is 2 deaths, 1 is a known non-cult, and the 2nd night kill might get lucky, might not. Total deaths: 2, 1 guaranteed non-cult (blargonaut) dies.

We don't lynch blargonaut, cultists kill blargonaut, 2nd night kill happens. We have 3 deaths, 1 we control, blargonaut is dead (so we don't have the no cultists night power later), and 1 the 2nd night kill gets. Total deaths: 3, 1 guranteed non-cult member dies.

We don't lynch blargonaut, cultists kill someone else, 2nd night kill happens. Again, 3 deaths. At the start of day 3 we'll have at least 1 non-cult member dead (cultists ain't killing one of their own at night), 1 random chance from us, and 1 random chance from the 2nd night kill. Total deaths: 3, 1 guaranteed non-cult member dies.

I don't think we have enough information to make the extra night kill worth it. Unless we get REALLY lucky, and either we or the 2nd night killer grabs a cultist, we're getting in a disadvantage by not lynching blargonaut.

Sorian

Banned
This entire scenario was a cult win and you're a fucking idiot if you don't see that

I'll bite, how so? This game is tuned around power roles, this isn't just a game of vanilla mafia where there is town and mafia and all town needs to do is sniff out the scum based on words alone. We need to take into account the power roles that are in play and why they ere put in. This is something put in that town can use, there is a reason it exists, it was placed on our side to offset something that cult has in their power arsenal. We were lucky to have the choice in our hands and not their hands. We can take the power now and have a little bit of a smaller player poll to deal with tomorrow when voting for scum or we can take a gamble on the bigger player pool now and be stagnated tomorrow when we kill Blarg instead. I'd rather go into tomorrow with the smaller player pool and discuss scum then. I have faith in our town (unconfirmed) killer.

ultron87

Town should be chasing scum too & now our reads have rot in exchange for killing a player generally agreed upon to be harmless in the immediacy

Sure. It's day 2 and we've got one already. This gets us a night for power roles to do things, doesn't hurt us and makes it so we can hunt scum tomorrow without Blarg forcing himself into the conversation at every possible moment. Someone will probably die tonight still and this death isn't guaranteed to be a town person like it would be if the Cult was doing it.

At absolute worse this situation is entirely neutral.

This entire scenario was a cult win and you're a fucking idiot if you don't see that

Also, stop this crap. You don't get away calling people fucking idiots elsewhere on GAF and shouldn't get to here.

Coppanuva

I'll bite, how so? This game is tuned around power roles, this isn't just a game of vanilla mafia where there is town and mafia and all town needs to do is sniff out the scum based on words alone. We need to take into account the power roles that are in play and why they ere put in. This is something put in that town can use, there is a reason it exists, it was placed on our side to offset something that cult has in their power arsenal. We were lucky to have the choice in our hands and not their hands. We can take the power now and have a little bit of a smaller player poll to deal with tomorrow when voting for scum or we can take a gamble on the bigger player pool now and be stagnated tomorrow when we kill Blarg instead. I'd rather go into tomorrow with the smaller player pool and discuss scum then. I have faith in our town (unconfirmed) killer.

I'll agree here, but I think we only really come out of this ahead if we don't have a mutually agreed upon target for tomorrow. We seem to have a lot of suspicions on possible cultists, which is good. But I still feel it's hard to adequately pressure people into talking if they know they aren't a prime target, as we saw today when we tried to question people.

This is what I think. If you look at it math-wise, any case in which we don't kill Blargonaut is favorable to the Cultists. Right now, we're unlikely to lynch a cultist from a number point of view (also, if you lynch me, you're guaranteed a tourist kill anyhow). Let's look at it this way:

We lynch Blargonaut, cultists can't lynch, 2nd night kill happens regardless. This is 2 deaths, 1 is a known non-cult, and the 2nd night kill might get lucky, might not. Total deaths: 2, 1 guaranteed non-cult (blargonaut) dies.

You're forgetting about Matt Attack flying the fuck off the island with me. That's an extra non-Cult "death":

Lynch me: 2 dead/gone Neutrals, only 1 possible Town death by 3rd party, because I'd be cock-blocking the Cult tonight. The Neutrals' identities were already confirmed. You gain nothing from lynching me, and allowing Matt Attack to fly away. You end up with only 1 death that gives you any usable info. The pool of suspects for Day 3 becomes 17, max.

We don't lynch blargonaut, cultists kill blargonaut, 2nd night kill happens. We have 3 deaths, 1 we control, blargonaut is dead (so we don't have the no cultists night power later), and 1 the 2nd night kill gets. Total deaths: 3, 1 guranteed non-cult member dies.

We don't lynch blargonaut, cultists kill someone else, 2nd night kill happens. Again, 3 deaths. At the start of day 3 we'll have at least 1 non-cult member dead (cultists ain't killing one of their own at night), 1 random chance from us, and 1 random chance from the 2nd night kill. Total deaths: 3, 1 guaranteed non-cult member dies.

I don't think we have enough information to make the extra night kill worth it. Unless we get REALLY lucky, and either we or the 2nd night killer grabs a cultist, we're getting in a disadvantage by not lynching blargonaut.

If the Cult is fucking smart they won't waste their night kill on killing known quantities like me and Matt Attack, when they could potentially be offing a Town power role if they somehow manage to get lucky again. I told you, it's only Day 2, early game, and there are still enough bodies in play for the odds to be that the Cult does not kill another Town power role tonight:

Don't lynch me: 3 possible Town deaths (1 lynch today, 2 tonight via Cult and/or 3rd party). A smart Cult won't kill me or Matt Attack tonight because we're already known quantities. It's only Day 2. By allowing this maximum of 3 deaths to occur, you PHYSICALLY lower the pool of suspects to 17. No speculation. Just hard death. Plus with me and Matt Attack as known quantities already, that CONFIRMED lowers the pool of suspects by Day 3 to 15, max.

Sorian

Banned
I'll agree here, but I think we only really come out of this ahead if we don't have a mutually agreed upon target for tomorrow. We seem to have a lot of suspicions on possible cultists, which is good. But I still feel it's hard to adequately pressure people into talking if they know they aren't a prime target, as we saw today when we tried to question people.

I know you're trying to save yourself with that line but yes, we should never go into the next day with a locked in person to kill. There will be a night kill tonight most likely, that is new information that needs to be analyzed before we can come to any type of real decision. It's also 4 more days of discussion without Blarg coming up every 10 seconds so that's even more evidence we can compile and process.

Darryl

Banned
Sure. It's day 2 and we've got one already. This gets us a night for power roles to do things, doesn't hurt us and makes it so we can hunt scum tomorrow without Blarg forcing himself into the conversation at every possible moment. Someone will probably die tonight still and this death isn't guaranteed to be a town person like it would be if the Cult was doing it.

At absolute worse this situation is entirely neutral.

This game is a battle against temptation and people are biting every chance they get. The Blarg scenario created a safe haven for mafia to come out and infiltrate town without having to make read gambles. I know that now I have absolutely no direction for pursuing anybody. And jesus, town power roles. One of ours is dead. What side hasn't lost a power role?

Sorian

Banned
This game is a battle against temptation and people are biting every chance they get. The Blarg scenario created a safe haven for mafia to come out and infiltrate town without having to make read gambles. I know that now I have absolutely no direction for pursuing anybody. And jesus, town power roles. One of ours is dead. What side hasn't lost a power role?

No shit, even more reason why we shouldn't gamble with this other power that was hand delivered to us.

Coppanuva

I know you're trying to save yourself with that line but yes, we should never go into the next day with a locked in person to kill. There will be a night kill tonight most likely, that is new information that needs to be analyzed before we can come to any type of real decision. It's also 4 more days of discussion without Blarg coming up every 10 seconds so that's even more evidence we can compile and process.

While that is true in this case, I still think it's a policy we should try to enact going forward. We're a lot less powerful at negotiating if you take the threat of being lynched away, and having a choice between 1 of 2 people in the first 24 hours put us in a weaker spot for gathering information than we otherwise would have been. Cultists aren't likely to evict people we're leaning towards lynching ourselves anyways, we shouldn't be making their night decisions any easier.

I already posted my stance against your points and all you did was keep quoting the exact same thing over and over again. It turned into two people just trying to yell over each other. People can just go read the exchange, it was just you saying the exact same thing and me re-iterating the same points back. No reason to keep that flow going.

Quote it then.

Quote your response to my core:

---

20 people left.

That Night 1 power role death was a fluke, a lucky strike in the dark by the Cult. It's Night 1, it couldn't be anything else. There are still enough bodies in play for the odds of another power role being killed tonight to be acceptably low.

Sorian

Banned
While that is true in this case, I still think it's a policy we should try to enact going forward. We're a lot less powerful at negotiating if you take the threat of being lynched away, and having a choice between 1 of 2 people in the first 24 hours put us in a weaker spot for gathering information than we otherwise would have been. Cultists aren't likely to evict people we're leaning towards lynching ourselves anyways, we shouldn't be making their night decisions any easier.

You're right, it was something I did purposely earlier though. I said it knowing that the cult wouldn't be allowed to kill tonight and as a way for our other night killer to show his or her true colors.

Timeaisis

That's exactly why we should just get rid of him and be done with it.

Darryl

Banned
You can't just say things like this and make us think "Shit... He's right." Explain to us all how if you'd be so kind and don't say "I don't have to/need to."

I think your canned response for me explains it all perfectly. There's been no reason to take this day seriously if you are actually trying to win. Mafia as well. The idea that you can get mafia reads on someone when the topic of discussion is two players confirming each other as neutral is a joke. They're not even claiming to be threatening neutrals. I can say virtually anything I want. I can damn the town for making this mistake. I can burn the witch. It doesn't fucking matter. You can't get whether I'm town or not from that. We burned our reads alongside the witch.

That's exactly why we should just get rid of him and be done with it.

---

20 people left.

Timeaisis

I originally agreed with this but some players dragged it out way too long and it's even being used in all it's useless glory to create arguments against me.

So what do you suggest? We move off Blarg and vote for someone else today and try to not make him the center of discussion tomorrow?

I'm all for going after an actual cult suspect today, but I just don't see us being able to get past Blarg tomorrow.

Blarg, you've gotta stop spammin' that message or else people are gonna want you gone just to shut ya up

And Darryl, I don't think you're suspicious but antagonizin' folks probably isn't the best way to get 'em to cooperate.

Blarg, you've gotta stop spammin' that message or else people are gonna want you gone just to shut ya up

And Darryl, I don't think you're suspicious but antagonizin' folks probably isn't the best way to get 'em to cooperate.

The people who want to shut me up are obvious Cultists or pro-Cult Neutrals. If they're Town, they're dumb Town.

Invalid response. You're not discrediting a single thing.

Coppanuva

I'm actually ok with Blargonaut info dumping and theorycrafting. He's on death's doorstep right now, he might as well dump everything he can think of for us, gives us more data to sift through once his role is revealed. We'll also have 3 days each where we can't openly debate to think through it ourselves and analyze anything that might be useful to discuss on day 3. Dump away blargy!

Darryl

Banned
So what do you suggest? We move off Blarg and vote for someone else today and try to not make him the center of discussion tomorrow?

I'm all for going after an actual cult suspect today, but I just don't see us being able to get past Blarg tomorrow.

You're right, yeah. Not a whole lot to do. I think I just woke up frustrated in the game.

Sorian

Banned
I'm actually ok with Blargonaut info dumping and theorycrafting. He's on death's doorstep right now, he might as well dump everything he can think of for us, gives us more data to sift through once his role is revealed. We'll also have 3 days each where we can't openly debate to think through it ourselves and analyze anything that might be useful to discuss on day 3. Dump away blargy!

He can info dump but we can't keep getting the same quoted text over and over again. I know I post a lot but this is actually spam now.

I think your canned response for me explains it all perfectly. There's been no reason to take this day seriously if you are actually trying to win. Mafia as well. The idea that you can get mafia reads on someone when the topic of discussion is two players confirming each other as neutral is a joke. They're not even claiming to be threatening neutrals. I can say virtually anything I want. I can damn the town for making this mistake. I can burn the witch. It doesn't fucking matter. You can't get whether I'm town or not from that. We burned our reads alongside the witch.

Thank you for your reply, it makes sense now. It's a bit late for anything now anyway considering the round ends in a few hours, Blarg won't ever give up until the end though.

^LOOK AT THIS PETTINESS

LOOK AT IT

HE CAN'T FORM A CREDIBLE DEFENSE AGAINST MY CORE AND HE'S HAND-WAVING IT AWAY AS SPAM!

SORIAN, THE POSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST

YOU'RE IN MY BULLET HELL, AND I'M GOING TO KEEP YOU DODGING UNTIL YOU RAGE QUIT ME

Sorian

Banned
^LOOK AT THIS PETTINESS

LOOK AT IT

HE CAN'T FORM A CREDIBLE DEFENSE AGAINST MY CORE AND HE'S HAND-WAVING IT AWAY AS SPAM!

SORIAN, THE POSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST

YOU'RE IN MY BULLET HELL, AND I'M GOING TO KEEP YOU DODGING UNTIL YOU RAGE QUIT ME

I already posted my stance against your points and all you did was keep quoting the exact same thing over and over again. It turned into two people just trying to yell over each other. People can just go read the exchange, it was just you saying the exact same thing and me re-iterating the same points back. No reason to keep that flow going.

So you're going to make them all go back and read everything again?

Quote it then. You're not afraid to post. You? You love posting.

Quote the response you say you made to my core:

---

20 people left.

Coppanuva

Off-topic but it would have been really awesome if this entire time Blargonaut edited his avatar just slightly every hour to make it more and more deformed and insane looking.

I don't care how many times I have to re-iterate my points.

Either you all acknowledge me and my plan with words, or else acknowledge me with your votes. Agree with me, or kill me right now.

I have put forward a rational plan and you are all dismissing me as spam? You all just sitting back and ignoring me is a clear-cut pro-Cult move.

Sorian

Banned
So you're going to make them all go back and read everything again?

Quote it then. You're not afraid to post. You? You love posting.

Quote the response you say you made to my core:

---

The bolded is the crux of your argument and I actually am not so sure it's a 100% fact. Someone brought this up earlier and I've been thinking about it and it makes a lot of sense. MattAttacks only win condition can't be that you get lynched. It's too passive of a win condition. We almost lynched you yesterday, are you saying if we had then he would have just won? No, I don't buy that. So what? If his win condition isn't to get you lynched then what is it? Well, nothing else would make sense other than him being town-aligned and removing all cult players. Sure, his fate was locked to yours, a neutral player, but that doesn't mean both of you are neutral. He is now just an ordinary tourist with you out of the game. I don't actually think he will be exiting by morning.

Please stop spamming the whole page. To all of your bolded, on the flip side of that, allowing more deaths now just means our investigative roles might end up killed tonight. It's a double edged sword and the choice here is which side we want to be on. Yes, investigating a smaller player pool might hit a potential cultist easier but the investigative role doesn't need to hit a cultist to be useful. We are already arguing a small list of serious suspects, an investigation into one of them that shows them to be a tourist is just as beneficial because then they can hopefully sway us away from wasting our time on said person. I'm not going to put more tourists up for grabs tonight based on your plea here, they already nailed a doctor last night, I don't want to lose something else that we need before we get good uses out of them.

That's all I really have to say on that matter.

RetroMG

The question boils down to this:

If we lynch Blarg, we probably lose three people tonight, but we lose a distraction as well.

If we do not lynch Blarg, we probably lose two people, but probably spend tomorrow listening to Sorian and Blarg argue.

The other important question is: if we decided suddenly to save Blarg, are enough active players watching to override the vote?

I don't care how many times I have to re-iterate my points.

Either you all acknowledge me and my plan with words, or else acknowledge me with your votes. Agree with me, or kill me right now.

I have put forward a rational plan and you are all dismissing me as spam? You all just sitting back and ignoring me is a clear-cut pro-Cult move.
Refresh my memory, who do you think we should lynch today?

Coppanuva

I'm the witch who killed Lone_Prodigy and I will make Sorian burn tonight

If this is true, we can't not lynch blargonaut today. If Darryl truly is the second night killer, I don't think the cult would leave him alive given the chance, we should lynch blargonaut so we can get 2 kills out of him instead of just 1. Granted there's not much proof, other than Darryl DID seem to want LP dead (he was one of the 2 votes on him at the end of Day 1).

Sorian

Banned
If this is true, we can't not lynch blargonaut today. If Darryl truly is the second night killer, I don't think the cult would leave him alive given the chance, we should lynch blargonaut so we can get 2 kills out of him instead of just 1. Granted there's not much proof, other than Darryl DID seem to want LP dead (he was one of the 2 votes on him at the end of Day 1).

Agreed, I'm a waste of his time which is too bad if he really goes through with it but letting Darryl get another kill in would prove his point.

Coppanuva

Agreed, I'm a waste of his time which is too bad if he really goes through with it but letting Darryl get another kill in would prove his point.

True, I don't agree that you'd be the optimal night kill target honestly. Your playstyle is one that'll get killed off in mid-game if you ask me, you'll start getting too close to getting onto the cultists trail and you'll be offed then.

Very funny, but we already had a witch. It was Fireblend, and a protective role.

This is a good point, I forgot Fireblend's role name was the witch. I believe Darryl might have a destructive power though.

I'm really curious if the night kill was a one-off event. I guess we'll see on Day 3, but there is a possibility whoever killed LP had an ability that offered it as a 1-time event, rather than a continual threat.

Top Bottom