• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Sorian

Banned
Yea I'm being dramatic

We both know you are going to bring me to task tomorrow anyway either because you think I am scum or because you think my padding is protecting cult.

I'm really curious if the night kill was a one-off event. I guess we'll see on Day 3, but there is a possibility whoever killed LP had an ability that offered it as a 1-time event, rather than a continual threat.

My honest guess is that it is a limited number of kills, more than 1 but less than unlimited. I think it's town aligned which is why I am hesitant to think it is unlimited and I think it is more than 1 because if they only have one kill, I think using it night 1 was too much of a gamble even if that kill did nail a cultist.

Coppanuva

We both know you are going to bring me to task tomorrow anyway either because you think I am scum or because you think my padding is protecting cult.

My honest guess is that it is a limited number of kills, more than 1 but less than unlimited. I think it's town aligned which is why I am hesitant to think it is unlimited and I think it is more than 1 because if they only have one kill, I think using it night 1 was too much of a gamble even if that kill did nail a cultist.

Makes sense to me, unlimited would be rather overpowered. And I do agree night 1 use is typically a bad idea, unless the user is someone who thought they might be targeted by the cultists on night 1 and wanted to use it instead of letting it go to waste. I'm going to think about this over the night period.

Flame_AC

Most of this is my Day 1 opinions on people that you've all already seen, some additions and changes have been made.

Flame_AC: Totally the big Cultist.

GreatCharleston: Still infrequent and an immediate lynch candidate for tomorrow.

Lone_Prodigy: Murdered by Sorian

Rats Off To Ya: I find you suspicious for a variety of reasons, but no one else seems to think so, wait and see approach.

Neuromancer: Still laying low, but I like your vote on Sorian.

Fireblend: Murdered by Sorian

Sorian: Posts too much, if he doesn't die within the next night or two, then we need to possibly lynch him.

Droplet: She's made good posts and has sound reasoning, even if I disagree with her.

Ultron87: Probable quiet Cultist.

MattAttack: Third party, we'll see how it goes with the Blarg thing and lynch/not accordingly.

Tucah: Murdered by Sorian

Timeaisis: No real read on you, but I enjoy the posts you have made. You're not the most active person and stay around just enough to keep out of trouble. Verdict: Cultist

Darryl: I'm keeping you on the list of potential third parties, I do not enjoy the way you post and would like to try and lynch you, though, as Sorian said, it'll be hard to do that just yet.

LoC: Possible suspect, has an interesting posting style which rubs me the wrong way unfortunately for him. There's something fishy here that I'll dig up.

Coppanuva: I got you.

RetroMG: We've had our differences, you could be a Cultist, but are more likely to be a Tourist, currently.

Blarg: You're dead unfortunately.

Nin1000: I'm glad you think I'm the most logical player, somehow. You seem shifty to me, but I'm not looking to lynch you.

Not talking about replacements or inactives or NeverForever yet.

Lone_Prodigy: Murdered by Sorian

Fireblend: Murdered by Sorian

Sorian: Posts too much, if he doesn't die within the next night or two, then we need to possibly lynch him.

giphy.gif

Sorian

Banned
Tucah: Murdered by Sorian

Not talking about replacements or inactives or NeverForever yet.

I saw the Tucah note first and was gonna say, damn why do you have to twist the knife like that but then I saw that everyone was murdered by me apparently. Plot twist: I'm the big bad for the season.

In regards to the bolded, why no talk on NF yet?

I hope you are going to come at me with more than just "we need to lynch him because he posts too much" A day or two from now, we no longer have the luxury of policy type lynches, you should only be calling for someone's lynch if you think they are scum.

I come back and there's a bunch of new pages... it never ends.

Since Blarg has made this his final defense, I'll go ahead and try to show why my role being neutral doesn't even make sense. Can you imagine how absurdly difficult such a role would be to win with? All I was provided with was the name of the role I was looking for, the result of their lynching, and the ability to spy on a single player each night to find them. With 23 players and only a single night search every phase, finding Lovecraft would be like finding a needle in a haystack. While searching for Lovecraft, I would have to pray that he isn't night killed by cultists or somebody else with a killing ability (which in this situation would very likely boot me out along with him) , and in the event that I do find him, I have to hope that everybody is actually receptive to the idea of lynching him (and thanks to his supposed win condition, he would have every reason to act 100% pro-town- the fact that he leaked information about his own role is an anomaly). All the while, Lovecraft (and town as an extension) is working towards his own win condition, which in this situation would also screw me over if he reached it, by default.

If my role was neutral, all of these factors would be working against me. Success would be [/i]almost completely[/i]reliant on luck and everybody else in the game. Because my role is town, I'm able to keep playing regardless of what happens to Lovecraft, just in the capacity of an ordinary tourist. This is a pretty meta defense I admit, but I can't even imagine my role actually being neutral because it just doesn't make sense. If we lynch Blarg, I will still be here. If we have an investigator, you're welcome to check my alignment when it suits you- it will say town.

Sorian

Banned
If we have an investigator, you're welcome to check my alignment when it suits you- it will say town.

Do not waste time doing this. If you are still here tomorrow then it is obvious that you are town. If you are neutral, you'll be ejected from the game and there is no way you are cult with what we know about Blarg and you. If Blarg's role says something radically different when we kill him then we can re-visit whether you could be cult-aligned or not but as it stands no that just makes 0 sense.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not entirely sure about Prodigy but it wouldn't surprise me. Tucah's all you though buddy. That's not exactly a controversial statement.

I've already taken responsibility for Tucah more than enough times. What does the bolded mean though? It wouldn't surprise you if I killed Prodigy? If that's the case then what are we doing here? Our goal is too kill cultists, if you really think I killed Prodigy
pro-tip: I did not
then why are you gunning for me?

Sorian

Banned
Day Three.

Bullet Time Battle.

Rats v. Sorian.

We were both sorta suspicious of maybe-not-Cultists that one time.

One of us has to be scum.

If that's happens, I might quit. We already wasted part of day 1 and all of day 2 on non-sense. We might as well just throw in the towel if we have to waste day 3 as well.

In regards to the bolded, why no talk on NF yet?

He's clearly going to point the finger at me as his coup de theatre for Day 3

I agree with Darryl that Day 2 has been an utter waste of time, this post marks the beginning of the disaster, and Blargonaut's response basically signed his own death warrant. Everything from that point onwards is just a mess. Then the circular arguments made things worse, the whole situation just went kaboom. You can't efficiently scumhunt when people are arguing about all the wrong things, and the two sides of this vote aren't actually Cult v Town, it's just a mess of people and opinions and insults.You can tell from peoples' reads that nobody has changed their opinions much from Day 1 because there's not really that much actual evidence of anything.

I just want things to calm down and this lynch is the only way we'll get anywhere, no matter what the best strategy in a perfect world would be, because this isn't a perfect world and as long as scum and some useless tourists are unwilling to let the matter drop then we're just going to go nowhere again. Groundhog Day.

Also, if we don't lynch him, then the next time we're likely to actually get anywhere is Day 4, assuming that we all agree Day 3 that Blargonaut should be lynched, and if we don't then hooray, even more pointless talking around a topic that does nothing to illuminate anything. But if we do agree, then what? Will anyone actually feel pressured into anything knowing that the end result is a Blargonaut lynch? Or if we try to ignore the matter, will any of you seriously let it drop? Ugh.

It's just completely FUBAR

also this hate-boner for Sorian is just a bit random and pointlessly antagonistic, what on earth are you going on about Neuro

The bolded is the crux of your argument and I actually am not so sure it's a 100% fact. Someone brought this up earlier and I've been thinking about it and it makes a lot of sense. MattAttacks only win condition can't be that you get lynched. It's too passive of a win condition. We almost lynched you yesterday, are you saying if we had then he would have just won? No, I don't buy that. So what? If his win condition isn't to get you lynched then what is it? Well, nothing else would make sense other than him being town-aligned and removing all cult players. Sure, his fate was locked to yours, a neutral player, but that doesn't mean both of you are neutral. He is now just an ordinary tourist with you out of the game. I don't actually think he will be exiting by morning.

Please stop spamming the whole page. To all of your bolded, on the flip side of that, allowing more deaths now just means our investigative roles might end up killed tonight. It's a double edged sword and the choice here is which side we want to be on. Yes, investigating a smaller player pool might hit a potential cultist easier but the investigative role doesn't need to hit a cultist to be useful. We are already arguing a small list of serious suspects, an investigation into one of them that shows them to be a tourist is just as beneficial because then they can hopefully sway us away from wasting our time on said person. I'm not going to put more tourists up for grabs tonight based on your plea here, they already nailed a doctor last night, I don't want to lose something else that we need before we get good uses out of them.

That's all I really have to say on that matter.

---

BOgT5cB.gif

Alright, Sorian. Let me guide you through my fucking wonderland.

If Matt Attack does fly the fuck off the island after my lynching, like I've originally iterated:
-
SCENARIO A - Matt Attack leaves after my death.
20 people left today.

Lynch me: 2 dead/gone Neutrals, only 1 possible Town death by 3rd party, because I'd be cock-blocking the Cult tonight. The Neutrals' identities were already confirmed. You gain nothing from lynching me, and allowing Matt Attack to fly away. You end up with only 1 death that gives you any usable info. The pool of suspects for Day 3 becomes 17, max.

or

Don't lynch me: 3 possible Town deaths (1 lynch today, 2 tonight via Cult and/or 3rd party). Me and Matt Attack are still present. A smart Cult won't kill me or Matt Attack tonight because we're already known quantities. If they're smart, they'll attack strangers whose roles they confirmed do not know, in the hopes of snagging another Town power role kill. But, it's only Day 2. By allowing this maximum of 3 deaths to occur, you PHYSICALLY lower the pool of suspects to 17. No speculation. Just hard death. Plus with me and Matt Attack as known quantities already, that CONFIRMED lowers the pool of suspects by Day 3 to 15, max.

That Night 1 power role death was a fluke, a lucky strike in the dark by the Cult. It's Night 1, it couldn't be anything else. There are still enough bodies in play for the odds of another power role being killed tonight to be acceptably low.
-

OR

Let's say, according to you Sorian, Matt Attack doesn't fly the fuck off the island upon my lynching, and he stays (unlikely, but I'll entertain you yet again). Do you want to see how that really affects the future?

Take a fucking magical look into my crystal ball:
-
SCENARIO B - Matt Attack stays after my death.
20 people left today.

Lynch me: 1 dead/gone Neutral (me), only 1 possible Town death by 3rd party, because I'd be cock-blocking the Cult tonight. The Neutral's identity (me) was already confirmed. You gain nothing from lynching me, and allowing Matt Attack to fly away. You end up with only 1 death that gives you any usable info. The pool of suspects for Day 3 becomes 18, max; and NOT minus Matt Attack, because him staying doesn't give you any fucking clue as to his faction alignment. 18 suspects.

A smart Cult won't bother night-killing Matt Attack because he's confirmed to be a limited investigator whose only power was to investigate if people were H.P. Lovecraft. A smart Cult will let Town kill Matt Attack for them by public lynching. The Cult's only possible, potential issue with Matt Attack would be if he upgrades into a full investigator of unknown faction upon my lynching, or if he downgrades into Ordinary Tourist/Cultist. Anyway, the Town will naturally cast suspicion on Matt Attack in the daytime due to him remaining here. He's not subtracted from the suspicion pool of 18.

or

Don't lynch me: 3 possible Town deaths (1 lynch today, 2 tonight via Cult and/or 3rd party). Me and Matt Attack are still present. A smart Cult won't kill me or Matt Attack tonight because we're already known quantities. If they're smart, they'll attack strangers whose roles they confirmed do not know, in the hopes of snagging another Town power role kill. It's only Day 2. By allowing this maximum of 3 deaths to occur, you PHYSICALLY lower the pool of suspects to 17. No speculation. Just hard death. Plus with me and Matt Attack as known quantities already, that CONFIRMED lowers the pool of suspects by Day 3 to 16, max.

That Night 1 power role death was a fluke, a lucky strike in the dark by the Cult. It's Night 1, it couldn't be anything else. There are still enough bodies in play for the odds of another power role being killed tonight to be acceptably low.
-

COUNT SUMMARY:

Lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 17 players. BAD.
Don't lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 15 players. BEST*.

Lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 18 players. WORST.
Don't lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 16 players. GOOD*.

*Why BEST & GOOD? Because Town needs deaths in the early game. Town needs a smaller suspect pool for investigators to work on. YES, I'm advocating death because it's still Day 2 and you need to lower the suspect pool for your investigative roles to be more effective. Keeping me and/or Matt Attack present and alive by not lynching me, leaves already-known quantities in the game that would be useless for Cult to night-kill, when they could be hitting a real Town instead. There are still enough bodies to keep the odds of another power role dying tonight LOW. There is a modicum of gamble but it exists in all possible dimensions anyway.

Town GAINS by keeping me alive in all possible dimensions.

Do you see now?

Do you all SEE now? PLEASE. SEE REASON.

RetroMG

Since we're an hour out, I'll put my vote in to make ten.

VOTE: Blargonaut

Sorry, Blarg. I hope we can collaborate for Season 4, though!

Sorian

Banned
Blarg, your whole argument hinges on people's philosophy on how the game needs to go at this pivotal stage. I don't think we should be risking more tourists and possible power roles because we already lost an extremely strong one night 1. I can't really argue with the rest of what you said because it's a difference of play style. You think more death right now would be good, I think more death right now would be bad, as I've already said before. I will highlight this though:

and NOT minus Matt Attack, because him staying doesn't give you any fucking clue as to his faction alignment. 18 suspects.

You know that's bullshit. If Matt is still here and your role text says exactly what we think it says then there is no way Matt is neutral and it's highly highly unlikely that he is cult aligned. Why would cult be told that if they can get someone lynched it would block cult kills for a night and then when they find their target, they announce it to us straight away, effectively signing your death warrant, when instead, they would want you alive as long as possible because you provide a safe place for scum to hide.

Since we're an hour out, I'll put my vote in to make ten.

VOTE: Blargonaut

Sorry, Blarg. I hope we can collaborate for Season 4, though!

You better take that penultimate shit off of me right now before you start reading or I will come over there in spirit and hate you forever

Blarg, your whole argument hinges on people's philosophy on how the game needs to go at this pivotal stage. I don't think we should be risking more tourists and possible power roles because we already lost an extremely strong one night 1. I can't really argue with the rest of what you said because it's a difference of play style. You think more death right now would be good, I think more death right now would be bad, as I've already said before. I will highlight this though:

and NOT minus Matt Attack, because him staying doesn't give you any fucking clue as to his faction alignment. 18 suspects.

You know that's bullshit. If Matt is still here and your role text says exactly what we think it says then there is no way Matt is neutral and it's highly highly unlikely that he is cult aligned. Why would cult be told that if they can get someone lynched it would block cult kills for a night and then when they find their target, they announce it to us straight away, effectively signing your death warrant, when instead, they would want you alive as long as possible because you provide a safe place for scum to hide.

"HIGHLY HIGHLY UNLIKELY"

YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE AS TO WHAT HIS ALIGNMENT IS.

RetroMG

Both sides of the argument have merit. Blarg argues that by leaving him and Matt active, we will narrow the playing field further, since there will be fewer unknown roles, thus making it easier to find the mafia. On the other hand, Sorian is playing defense, saying that we need to keep as many town roles alive as possible to protect our power roles.

Hm. I don't know which direction I want to go. Offense or Defense.

I've already taken responsibility for Tucah more than enough times. What does the bolded mean though? It wouldn't surprise you if I killed Prodigy? If that's the case then what are we doing here? Our goal is too kill cultists, if you really think I killed Prodigy
pro-tip: I did not
then why are you gunning for me?
False flag operation obviously

Sorian

Banned
You guys understand that this doesn't all fall on me, right? No matter how I vote, Blarg is still probably going to die.

Of course, your vote for the results of today hardly matter. You're acquainted with the game though, if you live long enough, someone will use your voting pattern against you.

RetroMG

Okay. I know my answer.

Assuming he is willing to cut out the nonsense, leaving Blarg alive is still the best option.

Here is why:

If we kill Blarg, he takes Matt with him, and the night killer takes out one person. Total deaths: 3

If we do not kill Blarg, we still have to kill someone. (Coppa was the next runner up, I believe) then the cult make a kill and the night killer make a kill. Total deaths: 3, but if Blarg and Matt survive, then we do have two confirmed roles who are (at least on the surface,) working for town. We keep the same number of people, but we know who some of them are, thus lowering our suspect pool.

Is it dangerous?
Yes.
Is it a gamble?
Yes.
Does any of what I'm saying matter?
No, becuase I don't think anyone can lead a charge to evict another player in forty minutes, so this whole post is moot. Sorry to waste your time.

ultron87

Lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 17 players. BAD.
Don't lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 15 players. BEST*.

Lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 18 players. WORST.
Don't lynch Blargonaut:- Day 3 suspect pool of 16 players. GOOD*.

The game doesn't on a specific day. If we kill you we'll get our 15 suspects day, along with an extra bonus day.

The game doesn't end on a specific day. If we kill you we'll get our 15 suspects day, along with an extra bonus day.

You're stating the obvious, of course the numbers will be whittled down to 15 players eventually.

And yes, that "bonus day" is the core of Sorian's plan. He's Defense, as RetroMG put it.

My plan is Offense. Read RetroMG's post above.

Top Bottom