• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Timeaisis

Whoa, what the hell is going on. Darryl is gone, I guess sniped by the Vig/Serial Killer...but

Sorian and Neuro...
Did someone use the time cube on themselves?

Do we know who had it after Darryl? Did anyone admit it?

That feel when you post but the server nukes on itself.

The item itself must be something used only on the night phase then maybe?

I don't think so. I pushed for it a while back but no one seemed all that bothered then it came up once or twice again.

ultron87

Whoa, what the hell is going on. Darryl is gone, I guess sniped by the Vig/Serial Killer...but

Sorian and Neuro...
Did someone use the time cube on themselves?

Assuming the "erase yourself and another" thing Darryl said was true, we have to figure it was either Sorian or Neuro. We can't know for sure either way. I do doubt a Cult member would've been the one pulling the trigger since a Cult life is worth a lot more than a town life. So all we can do is hope that whoever did it had a correct read and it wasn't one town erasing another.

Unfortunately there isn't much in terms of voting we can learn from any of these deaths/erasures, since Darryl didn't have any special information and we didn't see the other two's roles. I guess we now know the time cube is real at least. Whether it actually turns you insane or not is hard to know. We at least don't have to worry about any currently insane people from that source since it is pretty well accounted for on days 1 and 2 and those holders are all dead.

We also have an idea of what being insane means. It means you can be recruited by the Cult, but aren't immediately in the Cult. So that is helpful. It is odd that the cult sacrificing someone can either kill them or make them insane. That seems like that would make it much too easy to recruit someone in the event that happens, since they could just snatch them up the next night after the sacrifice doesn't take.

As I said, unfortunately that information doesn't give us many leads when it comes to voting. Dwelling on it doesn't do much at this point, we need to forge ahead and start making some votes and causing discussion among who is still alive. I assume Coppanova is going to be in discussion today. Does anyone else have current suspicions? I'll try and collect my thoughts later this evening.

Worse than annoyed,
Sad.
Worse than sad,
Miserable.
Worse than miserable,
Suffering.
Worse than suffering,
Abandonned.
Worse than abandonned,
Alone.
Worse than alone,
Exiled.
Worse than exiled,
Dead.
Worse than dead,
Forgotten.

We will never know who they were, nor what they could've become. Right now We are more blind than ever

RetroMG

Wow. Just... holy crap.

Neuro was gunning for Sorian hard yesterday. I bet a dollar he had the cube and attacked Sorian with it. I don't believe for a second that Sorian would have done it.

Wow.

Okay. I need to take a look back though the thread tonight and see what I can figure out as far as where we go next. With Darryl and Sorian gone, we need a clear direction.

Coppanuva

Assuming the "erase yourself and another" thing Darryl said was true, we have to figure it was either Sorian or Neuro. We can't know for sure either way. I do doubt a Cult member would've been the one pulling the trigger since a Cult life is worth a lot more than a town life. So all we can do is hope that whoever did it had a correct read and it wasn't one town erasing another.

While we can't know for sure who it was, my money is on Neuromancer being the one holding it. He had the vote pushed on Sorian and seemed to want him out. Sorian didn't seem too immediately concerned about Neuromancer, at least not enough to sacrifice himself to get him out of the game. I also highly doubt a cultist would sacrifice themselves this early, unless you're assuming whoever they killed was onto them, and they thought it would be a reasonable tradeoff to silence them.

I wish we got more solid information out of this past night though... all we know for sure is someone wanted Darryl dead. I'm going to find out who.

nin1000

Banned
R.I.P Darryl.

Well it seems being insane means something now.
Since he had the item and he was already insane it could have meant that he could have died using it, since he was already insane.

Coppanuva

R.I.P Darryl.

Well it seems being insane means something now.
Since he had the item and he was already insane it could have meant that he could have died using it, since he was already insane.

Doesn't it leave you after 1 day? He did mention that day 1 I believe, that and the fact 2 people disappeared seems to suggest he didn't die using it.

We have an alternative possibility here: Darryl started normal tourist, got the item on day 1 and used some effect (I'm not sure if there's any that wouldn't make themselves obvious). Darryl then became insane from using it. The only question is, is that an actual possibility?

Doesn't it leave you after 1 day? He did mention that day 1 I believe, that and the fact 2 people disappeared seems to suggest he didn't die using it.

I think the most likely possibilities right now are.

-Darryl doesn't use item Day 1
-Neuromancer gets item Day 2
-Neuromancer erases Sorian
-SK kills Darryl

OR

Darryl lied about losing the item, and didn't think the odds of Cultists targeting him were high. So...

-Darryl uses item to erase Neuromancer and Sorian
-Darryl dies as result
-Sk doesn't exist

Since Darryl told us about that ability, unprompted, I'm going to assume that he wasn't exactly gunning to be recruited. There'd be no reason to drop that nugget unless if he was playing anti-Town. It would also explain his vigor to hunt scum instead of neutrals. I'm guessing the Cultists have a specific role that recruits insane players, and every one we found would be a chance for them to lose the ability to turn him.

We've now confirmed the item and anyone who claims it is only asking to be targeted. We don't know how long insanity lasts, and we can't know whether or not the item was used. I don't think we, as a group, gain any valuable information from an item claim starting today. As such, I will be forced to regard any item claims in the future with suspicion.

Similarly, it's possible that the Cultists know about the item and at least some of its properties, and they are certainly looking to increase their numbers. Therefore, I now consider any fishing for an item claim especially suspicious. That is effective retroactively, as well.

Currently in Amsterdam and won't be back home with my notes for 24hrs so anything important will have to wait but

Jfc Neuro if you did this I will find some way to being you back into existence just to kill you myself

Just when you think things couldn't go any further to shit after Day 2 you lose the main conversation generator and another player without even the knowledge of their roles to add context to their actions in the game

Frankly I'm fucking thankful we got L_P Day 1 because otherwise I would probably be in tears. I think that Darryl's role text combined with Blarg's win condition mean that there are only two mafia members left, I would do quotes and illustrates the point further but I can't get the stuff on my ducking phone so it'll have to wait

It all depends on whether Darryl actually used the item Day 1 or if that was his role from the beginning, personally I think he did use the item and this was the result. Using the item makes a player susceptible to cult recruitment and changes their role (poss temporarily iirc something Zatoth said). But does it also replace role powers or was Darryl an Ordinary Tourist? Idk. Day 2 the recipient was Neuro and the result was *screams internally*

Frankly I'm fucking thankful we got L_P Day 1 because otherwise I would probably be in tears. I think that Darryl's role text combined with Blarg's win condition mean that there are only two mafia members left, I would do quotes and illustrates the point further but I can't get the stuff on my ducking phone so it'll have to wait

This is a reasonable theory, it occurred to me as well.

nin1000

Banned

-SK kills Darryl

OR

Darryl lied about losing the item, and didn't think the odds of Cultists targeting him were high. So...

-Darryl dies as result
-Sk doesn't exist

i think the possibility of the 2nd one is highly likely if we believe it to be true

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Oh shit.

Shouldn't we have more people than 15?

So I guess this wasn't nonsense?

Sorian isn't on the player list anymore in the OP anymore. Is anyone else missing?
ee2a0446347bd8fc0ce972d9d6e056de.jpg

tumblr_ndfzyvuUJN1qgk7zxo1_400.gif

I'll see myself out now.

i think the possibility of the 2nd one is highly likely if we believe it to be true

But there's gotta be some sorta murderous third party? Othawise, who offed LP on th' first night?

Dammit, we don't have any concrete leads to go offa, and if we don't figure out somethin' fast we're gonna lose three more people today!

nin1000

Banned

-SK kills Darryl

OR

-Darryl dies as result
-Sk doesn't exist

The 2nd possibility cant be true since it would be too powerful to target 2 players at a time ! so i think the 1st possibility makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion its 01:20 AM here

But there's gotta be some sorta murderous third party? Othawise, who offed LP on th' first night?

Dammit, we don't have any concrete leads to go offa, and if we don't figure out somethin' fast we're gonna lose three more people today!

Could have been a 1 shot, or Darryl used the cube to kill LP and it made him insane.

The 2nd possibility cant be true since it would be too powerful to target 2 players at a time ! so i think the 1st possibility makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion its 01:20 AM here

Maybe, but it's possible the powerful abilities have a higher chance of death for you. This might be a "100% chance of death" ability.

Timeaisis

The time cube must've brought GAF down.

-Darryl dies as result
-Sk doesn't exist

I do find it highly coincidental that all three deaths are seemingly linked with the cube. Darryl had it first, claimed it openly, and both Neuro and Sorian have been seemingly wiped out by one of it's effects. I don't know if it has the power to erase two people at once AND kill it's owner (or previous owner), but it's something to consider. Maybe Darryl passing on using the time cube caused him to die last night? It's tough to say.

I think the bottom line here is: we probably shouldn't use the time cube.

Coppanuva

LoC's first scenario is the simplest and it perfectly aligns with everything we previously knew, so I'm inclined to believe in that one.

True. It's the cleanest, seems the most logical, and lines up with both nights the best. It's unlikely it was used to kill LP on night 1 (as LoC suggested), since Darryl died last night as well. 2 deaths in a row, particularly one in which the cultists couldn't have been it suggests that's not the doing of the orb.

I think we can also consider the fact that Daryl started insane and, since insanity is the cubes side effect, it basically allowed him to use it for free to get a kill on night one.

Alright, with nothin' else to go on we've got no choice but t' pounce on the lingerin' threads from yesterday's discussion. We lost one'a our best conversationalists, so let's try an' fill that void the best we can.

Coppanuva, you had some suspicion cast on ya yesterday before Blarg consumed most'a the discussion. I believe Ratsy had ya pegged as a cultist, and I'd love fer him to reiterate his reasonin' after you've staked your claim on defense. Nothin' personal, but we've gotta chase every lead we've got.

Charleston, you were the focus of some'a the discussion yesterday before things got derailed. What do you have to say about our current situation? Any suspicions you wanna air or finger-pointin' you wanna do?

I think we can also consider the fact that Daryl started insane and, since insanity is the cubes side effect, it basically allowed him to use it for free to get a kill on night one.

doh submitted before I finished.

That would have allowed a one shot to get a kill on night 2.

I still think that some kind of serial killer is more likely based on 2 non-sacrificial deaths in a row. Although I'm also thinking that in this game the most probable situation is quite likely wrong.

doh submitted before I finished.

That would have allowed a one shot to get a kill on night 2.

I still think that some kind of serial killer is more likely based on 2 non-sacrificial deaths in a row. Although I'm also thinking that in this game the most probable situation is quite likely wrong.

This idea has merit. Unfortunately there's not much we can speculate on and even less we can do about it at this point.

I still think Coppa is the best choice today, because yesterday was a big fat 0 in terms of new information. Believe me, I spent several hours last night going through the thread post-by-post, trying to find anything of value.

If anything, Blarg's flip and this new tidbit about recruitment only hardens my resolve that Coppa needs to die today. I'll lay down the specifics of my argument later tonight.

Coppanuva

This idea has merit. Unfortunately there's not much we can speculate on and even less we can do about it at this point.

I still think Coppa is the best choice today, because yesterday was a big fat 0 in terms of new information. Believe me, I spent several hours last night going through the thread post-by-post, trying to find anything of value.

If anything, Blarg's flip and this new tidbit about recruitment only hardens my resolve that Coppa needs to die today. I'll lay down the specifics of my argument later tonight.

I'm really curious about your case today. A lot of my arguments are kinda nullified now that Darryl left (I had him figured as a malicious figure at the time). I'll need a bit tonight to put up a defense and see who I think our best bets are, but I'm curious what information you think you'll gain by my death right now.

I'm really curious about your case today. A lot of my arguments are kinda nullified now that Darryl left (I had him figured as a malicious figure at the time). I'll need a bit tonight to put up a defense and see who I think our best bets are, but I'm curious what information you think you'll gain by my death right now.

I want to know why the Cultists were completely on board with Blarg being lynched. I know I'm a Tourist. We now know Darryl was a Tourist. I'm quite positive Droplet is a Tourist. And we were the only ones consistently making an effort to keep him alive.

There are a million different variables at play, and after Matt's claim everything that happened yesterday was a complete shit show. But you were right next to Blarg on the chopping block all day, and your role is the easiest variable we can test right now.

I make this argument without even mentioning your behavior, which as we all know I think has been scummy from the start.

I want to know why the Cultists were completely on board with Blarg being lynched. I know I'm a Tourist. We now know Darryl was a Tourist. I'm quite positive Droplet is a Tourist. And we were the only ones consistently making an effort to keep him alive.

It wasn't a life or death situation for either side. Both sides had completely valid points.

I hate that "do or die" narrative that was spun yesterday. Like only 1 side was protown.

It wasn't a life or death situation for either side. Both sides had completely valid points.

I hate that "do or die" narrative that was spun yesterday. Like only 1 side was protown.

I'm not saying one side was pro-Town. I'm saying one side, in my opinion, was fought exclusively by Townsfolk. Lynching Coppa may help us find out why that is.

I'm not saying one side was pro-Town. I'm saying one side, in my opinion, was fought exclusively by Townsfolk. Lynching Coppa may help us find out why that is.

At this point we can't afford to lose another tourist though, so we should be careful that we only vote for someone who's all-but-confirmed to be a cultist. Otherwise we're lookin' at losin' another three tourists before the sun rises tomorrow, which'll put us at a severe disadvantage.

I'm not sayin' that we shouldn't lynch someone who's been actin' suspicious though. Hell, when the time comes, I'll tie the noose myself.

Droplet

At this point we can't afford to lose another tourist though, so we should be careful that we only vote for someone who's all-but-confirmed to be a cultist. Otherwise we're lookin' at losin' another three tourists before the sun rises tomorrow, which'll put us at a severe disadvantage.

I'm not sayin' that we shouldn't lynch someone who's been actin' suspicious though. Hell, when the time comes, I'll tie the noose myself.

We're only on day 3. Most of day 2 was devoid of new information. It sucks that we're down 8 members already, but unless some PR has confirmed a cultist I doubt we have much of a chance of getting anyone who's confirmed. The best chance we have is getting someone who we hope is a cultist, but also someone whose role-flip will yield us the most information. An accidental reveal is plausible, and nobody's saying it's not, but it's certainly not a good bet. Of the three mafia games so far, I can only remember one person accidentally revealing themselves. I'm not going to be hanging onto the hope that it happens here just so we don't accidentally lynch a tourist.

We're only on day 3. Most of day 2 was devoid of new information. It sucks that we're down 8 members already, but unless some PR has confirmed a cultist I doubt we have much of a chance of getting anyone who's confirmed. The best chance we have is getting someone who we hope is a cultist, but also someone whose role-flip will yield us the most information. An accidental reveal is plausible, and nobody's saying it's not, but it's certainly not a good bet. Of the three mafia games so far, I can only remember one person accidentally revealing themselves. I'm not going to be hanging onto the hope that it happens here just so we don't accidentally lynch a tourist.

I getcha, but at the same time if we pick wrong today and the third-party killer doesn't manage t' bump off a cultist either, then we might find ourselves in a dire situation.

I think it might benefit the group if everyone were t' state any suspicions they have, just so that we have more information t' work offa. There are still three or four members we've hardly even heard from so far, and if we let 'em get away with givin' us the silent treatment then we could potentially be lettin' a cultist slip by under our noses. If we don't light a fire under the village's collective keister, we'll just find ourselves goin' in circles until we're all sleepin' with th' fishes.

Droplet

I getcha, but at the same time if we pick wrong today and the third-party killer doesn't manage t' bump off a cultist either, then we might find ourselves in a dire situation.

I think it might benefit the group if everyone were t' state any suspicions they have, just so that we have more information t' work offa. There are still three or four members we've hardly even heard from so far, and if we let 'em get away with givin' us the silent treatment then we could potentially be lettin' a cultist slip by under our noses. If we don't light a fire under the village's collective keister, we'll just find ourselves goin' in circles until we're all sleepin' with th' fishes.

I'm not a huge fan of suspicion lists unless they come unprovoked. Until now we've been operating under the idea of "give me a suspicion list and then we'll move on", which strikes me as a way to get inactives to talk and then go silent again, or to pass very temporary suspicion on players. But it's true, aside from you we have a couple replacements that have said very little, and a few original players that have also said not much. We can start from there, but now that we actually have suspicions on people I would rather not go after inactives just for the principle of it. Still, it would be nice to hear from those people because as you say, if we're just ignoring them, then we're letting possible cultists under the radar in favor of more active members.

Who are you thinking of?

Who are you thinking of?

Right now I was thinkin' about TheWorthyEdge and Vylash, who we've barely heard anythin' from this whole time. They're not exactly suspicious per se, but the haven't been givin' us enough material to work with either way and there's nothin' anyone can say about 'em until they speak up. Inactivity is the easiest way for a cultist to coast t' victory, but we can't just go lynchin' every dormant tourist cuz then we run the risk 'f killin' innocents.

Coppanuva

I'm not a huge fan of suspicion lists unless they come unprovoked. Until now we've been operating under the idea of "give me a suspicion list and then we'll move on", which strikes me as a way to get inactives to talk and then go silent again, or to pass very temporary suspicion on players. But it's true, aside from you we have a couple replacements that have said very little, and a few original players that have also said not much. We can start from there, but now that we actually have suspicions on people I would rather not go after inactives just for the principle of it. Still, it would be nice to hear from those people because as you say, if we're just ignoring them, then we're letting possible cultists under the radar in favor of more active members.

Who are you thinking of?

Personally, I think this is a good approach. Question someone, move on to the next. As Rats said, our goal here should be to eliminate variables, and who's more variable than people we have almost no read on?

Droplet

Right now I was thinkin' about TheWorthyEdge and Vylash, who we've barely heard anythin' from this whole time. They're not exactly suspicious per se, but the haven't been givin' us enough material to work with either way and there's nothin' anyone can say about 'em until they speak up. Inactivity is the easiest way for a cultist to coast t' victory, but we can't just go lynchin' every dormant tourist cuz then we run the risk 'f killin' innocents.

That's not true, staying under the radar is the easiest way for a cultist to coast to victory. I agree, Vylash and TheWorthyEdge should talk more, but I'm thinking about them quite a bit (even if I have nothing to convict them on) because we often bring them up when we're trying to get people to talk. There are several others who talk enough that I know who they are, but their opinions are just not very notable because they blend well into the crowd.

Charleston, you were the focus of some'a the discussion yesterday before things got derailed. What do you have to say about our current situation? Any suspicions you wanna air or finger-pointin' you wanna do?

I'm ALWAYS the focus at some point for some reason, y'all got it out for me. If Coppa wasn't here I'd be in his position.

Darryl was someone I honestly didn't trust but now he's fucking gone and we don't know why, I honestly expected him to be end game with how he played, he was kinda blunt but also the type you couldn't really get deep answers from, truly the tightest lipped of Cthulhu mafia... Well so far besides the inactivies of course.

Neuromancer is someone else who doesn't post a lot but when he does it's kinda distant in a way but also reassuring and puts you into a false sense of trust so he's gotten by pretty easily. It is kinda alarming but we'll see what happens with the current turn of events.

Never Forever seems to post one really big piece of content then remains incognito for a while but never seems to interact much besides that too. I mean, he seems to be busy with real life but man... There could be something more behind that, you know?

Vylash better get in here too now he's finished the new Dangan Ronpa.

I don't think we should rush into hanging anyone yet though, not at least for a full ~12 hours at the very least before going in hard with the votes.

Coppanuva

I was thinking about this post from ScraftyDevil from the beginning of this phase and I realized something...

W-what th' hell? How can people just get erased like that?

We sacrificed Blarg so that no one would die last night and ended up still losin' three people anyway...

It makes no sense that we'd lose Neuromancer and Sorian over night, not in a logical way at least. Sure, it makes sense that one of them used the item on the other, but why would either of them do it? If we look at the end of day votes and discussions, neither of them were on the chopping block for today. Yet somebody wished the other away. Logically, we're lead to Neuromancer being the one who took them both away. He was, after all, the one gunning for a lynch on Sorian. Neuromancer's logic was so:

I've been thinking a lot about the events and results of day one, and come to the conclusion that Sorian is the most suspicious character on the island.

Sorian started the voting to lynch Tucah, an ordinary tourist. He had various reasons, most of which are not particularly convincing, so I suspect that Sorian was a wilful architect of the lynching and knew that Tucah was a tourist, or at least, not a fellow cultist. I tried to argue against voting for Tucah citing a lack of logic behind this vote, sadly without success. Meanwhile, Sorian convinced eight other people, most of which I imagine were unwitting tourists, to vote for Tucah. How did he do this? By presenting himself as an authority figure by dominating conversations and aggressively questioning everyone else. This behavior serves the dual purposes of directing attention away from him and getting people to trust him by virtue of being the loudest voice in the room. Sorian is an absurdly prolific poster in this thread compared to every else, and I suggest that that alone should raise red flags.

VOTE: Sorian

It's not airtight, and it's not particularly damning (a lot of it centers around how talkative he was). Most people seemed to not buy it, but he continually mentioned it. So why would he kill himself to kill Sorian on flimsy logic? My assumption is he had other surefire ways to suspect Sorian, maybe even knew his role as a cultist. Neuromancer might have seen this as his only shot to get rid of Sorian and sacrificed himself (after all, being the sole voice against the powerful "town leader" seems like a good way to get killed by any third parties).

A lot of this is well and good, but I think looking at it in this light gives us a few more people to look at in more detail. People who perhaps sided with Sorian early and often, with little room for support.

I want to investigate:
RetroMG. If Sorian WAS a cultist, wouldn't the cultists want to try to get rid of any enemies sooner? It didn't seem likely a majority would vote for me over blargonaut at this point, it could easily be an ally covering for another.
Vylash (he's quiet, also Sorian let him off the hook WAY too easily here)
Nin1000 I don't see neuromancer's post as being bad (and if it were, it's certainly not something a whole team would approve of as an attack post, the logic was too flimsy). This could very well be another point of backing up.

There's also this quote that might suggest Sorian used the orb...

I propose we start by hearing from some people who've been quiet. People who haven't contributed anything yet. The two I name below: Who do you think we should go for and why?
Vylash
TheWorthyEdge

Good thinkin', Coppa. I believe it's quite likely that Neuromanca was just so certain that Sori was dangerous that he used th' Time Cube to erase both'a them from existance, either because he was afraid that no one would vote him out otherwise or just cuz of some misguided vitriol. 'Course, it's also possible that Sori used it to wipe out his only vocal detractor in order to kill that lead dead, but he don't strike me as th' type to do something thag brash.

Either way, we've gotta play with the cards we have left and those cards are tellin' me to put some pressure on Vylash. He's added nothin' to the conversation at large right now, an' I think it's dangerous to let people continue to continue to sit in silence after what happened last night.

Top Bottom