• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Zatoth

TheWorthyEdge 5
Rats Off To Ya
Droplet
johnnyquicknives
RetroMG
ScraftyDevil

Licking on your bloody hands after yesterday's massacre tasted kinda good. You only had fruit that grow on the island to eat since are stranded here. But tasting that yummy blood on your hands made you realise that fruit is just not enough. And why should it?

You have to kill him anyway. So why leave that tasty meat for the animals and not use it for you own pleasure? What would be wrong about that? Wasting good meat has to be a sin! Right?

Welcome!

You are a Recruiter.

You are aligned with the Cult of Shub-Niggurath.

Years of worshipping Shub-Niggurath turned you insane. But your sanity was a small price to pay for the gifts Shub-Niggurath granted you. This shipwreck surely is a test of Shub-Niggurath. Your cult became lazy and only the truly worthy ones were allowed to survive. These foolish Tourists have no idea what awaits them on this island. It will be easy to sacrifice them one by one.

Your partner is nin1000. Each night phase, one of the Cult of Shub-Niggurath-aligned players may kill/turn insane (depending on Shub-Niggurath’s mood) one of the other players by PMing me the command SACRIFICE: Playername. This action will be associated with the player who sent the PM. You may also communicate with your partners at the Quickboard found here.

You can feel that among the Tourists there are some that also left their sanity behind a long time ago. You may be able to recruit these Insane Tourists to strengthen your Cult.

Attempting to turn an Insane Tourist insane with your SACRIFICE action will turn them in another worshipper of Shub-Niggurath.

You were always the face of your Cult. Somehow people feel comfortable around you. No one inside the Cult recruited more worshippers than you.

Once per night you can try to recruit an Insane Tourist. To do so, private message me the command RECRUIT: Playername.

You win when only Shub-Niggurath-aligned players remain.

Congratulation Tourists! With TheWorthyEdge gone there are no more Cultists left on the island. You are finally save. Shub-Niggurath seems to be satisfied with the sacrifices she received and decides do leave you alone.

After her dark presence leaves the island you feel secure at last.

As you sit on the beach, munching TheWorthyEdge's remains, you suddenly realise that you still can feel something on the island. But Unlike Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath it makes you feel at ease.

Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos seems to be among you. That one seems to be on your side and trustworthy. Why not worship Nyarlathotep?

QnBy7O3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7H35PHIqUo

Zatoth

Droplet & Rats Off To Ya

Welcome!

You are Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos.

You are aligned with the Tourists.

You don’t really know what is happening on this island. However, Cultists seem to sacrifice humans. But not for you?! Outrageous!

You don’t care for these humans. Why would you? But having sacrifices that are not in your name? This is something you cannot ignore. You were bored anyway so you decided to help the Tourists to fight the Cultists.

With your powers you could easily identify them. But where is the fun in that? Still as an Outer God you should not be bound by the same rules as those mortals. So you decided to join them with two Avatars.

You and Droplet/Rats Off To Ya are both Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. You can use this Quickboard to discuss the game.

Should the mortals decide to lynch one of your Avatars during the day phase, both of you will leave this island. Lynched by humans?! This is unheard of!

You win when no remaining players are Cult-aligned.

RetroMG

Insane Tourist

Welcome!

You are an Insane Tourist.

Ever since you can remember you could hear voices in your head. Most of the time they are quiet, almost unrecognisable. But they are always present. These voices turned you insane. But you are used to them and are able to hide your madness.

The moment you set foot in this island the voices became louder than ever. Someone or something is calling out for you. You don’t understand what they are saying but somehow they make you feel at ease.

During the game you may be recruited by Cultists. Should this happen you will join their side.

Neuromancer

Welcome!

You are an Investigator.

The only reason you boarded this ship was to follow a lead on a group of cultists. You were successful and found some of those monsters. But before you were able to take care of them, the ship began to sink. As far as you can tell all the cultists you’ve identified died in the sea. But there are obviously some left amongst the survivors. Luckily you know exactly how to identify a cultist, given enough time.

Once per night you can investigate another player to see if they are a cultist. To do so, private message me the command INVESTIGATE: Playername.

Sorian

Welcome!

You are an Insane Tourist.

You are aligned with the Tourists Cult of Shub-Niggurath.

Ever since you can remember you could hear voices in your head. Most of the time they are quiet, almost unrecognisable. But they are always present. These voices turned you insane. But you are used to them and are able to hide your madness.

The moment you set foot in this island the voices became louder than ever. Someone or something is calling out for you. You don’t understand what they are saying but somehow they make you feel at ease.

During the game you may be recruited by Cultists. Should this happen you will join their side.

Your partners are nin1000 and TheWorthyEdge. Each night phase, one of the Cult of Shub-Niggurath-aligned players may kill/turn insane (depending on Shub-Niggurath’s mood) one of the other players by PMing me the command SACRIFICE: Playername. This action will be associated with the player who sent the PM. You may also communicate with your partners at the Quickboard found here.

You win when only Shub-Niggurath-aligned players remain.

Cult of Cthulhu's message board:
http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/ENUq6vXn7eRQc

Everyone else was an Ordinary Tourist.

Sorian

Banned
hahahahaha lel Thanks Rats

No new thoughts for a while, because it's just been pages of Sorian acting like he's the King of Fucking GAFia and anyone who dares question him is either suspicious or blinded by "hunches."

Zatoth

Spreadsheet for planning (not 100% up-to-date)

Quick Topic for planning

Should contain no spoilers for any of the other games.

c22-camping.jpg

This picture includes all the Gods that were present.

As for insanity. Only three players were turned.

ScraftyDevil for Day 4
Rats Off To Ya for Day 6
GreatCharleston for Day 7

@Necronomicon and dying by using it:

It would only kill you if one of the Cults would try to turn you insane while using it. So as soon as the Cult of Cthulhu was gone. The book was completely safe to use. Besides the 5th spell of course.

Sorian

Banned
Knowing what I know now, I'm not sorry for all that shit talking I did.

Bloody hell, Neuro was the investigator. He still fucked us with that move of his.

I got recruited by Nin night 1 just for clarification so I was town day 1. You all loved me though, game was dead for awhile without me and I was obviously in the dark about Time, LoC, and L_P as well so my main focus was hunting them while I was alive.

Fireblend

Banned
*nods approvingly from the afterlife*

Great job guys. It sucks that I got NK'd on day 1, but I followed the rest of the thread attentively and always felt part of team Town. Congratulations!

Reading through Rats and Droplet's thread and it's hilarious how they go from liking me to calling me an idiot and then hesitantly liking me again. For my first game I don't think I did too poorly!

Sorian

Banned
What happened Night 3 when Time tried to kill Scrafty? Did the other cult's sacrifice override our sacrifice?

Yes, the cults took turns getting kills with the first day being chosen by RNG. So Cthulhu cult got the first night kill, second night got skipped because of Blarg, 3rd night was our turn.

What happened Night 3 when Time tried to kill Scrafty? Did the other cult's sacrifice override our sacrifice?

Whoa, I had no idea I got targeted at any point. Zatoth told me to put the word "chicken" into all of my posts on Day 3 but I figured that was a randomly-rotating ailment rather than the result of being targeted.

Swamped

Banned
Whoa, I had no idea I got targeted at any point. Zatoth told me to put the word "chicken" into all of my posts on Day 3 but I figured that was a randomly-rotating ailment rather than the result of being targeted.

That's so hilarious. I should read through Day 3 again.

Zatoth

Should have used a different word. One that sticks out more. But good job for including it!

Also, the haikus were super fun to do. The original PM only said my posts had to "contain" a haiku, and when I asked for clarification Zatoth told me it was my choice whether to go 100% haiku. I couldn't back down from that challenge.

Reading the flavor for Droplet and Rats, were they immune to NKs?

No, but we weren't a double kill. Just a double lynch. That's the way we understood it, anyway, we never actually asked for clarification.

I can edit again! Yay!

Sorian

Banned
No. But the other one would have survived. Only lynching one of them would have killed them both.

Ah interesting, so if we had ever killed one of them at night, it would have been impossible to ever vote out the other (basically) good call.

Zatoth

Ah interesting, so if we had ever killed one of them at night, it would have been impossible to ever vote out the other (basically) good call.

Yeah. The other one would have been most certainly lynch immune, if played right.

But from experience Town player not always act in their best interest when it comes to lynching. :D

Oh and @Tucah. He asked me to find a replacement for him. So thanks for lynching him. Had a hard time already to find enough replacements. :D

Ooh! You reminded me!

We had an insurance policy in case one of us died before we claimed. Yo, I heard you guys like breadcrumbs.

Here are the very first posts Droplet and I made after the game started. I've reformatted them appropriately.

Reminder to all that inactivity is a detriment to the game on both sides.
An inactive player may end up staying alive longer, but it's no good to anyone to stay alive if you aren't contributing.
To not post basically means that you're not fueling arguments on either side and doesn't make a very fun game for the rest of us.
So please, speak up!

Day one!
Really looking forward to playing with all of you.
Only experience I've had with Mafia is spectating the previous GAF games.
Please be gentle.

Darryl was the only one to call one of us out on our filler. That made me a little nervous for a brief moment.

Sorian

Banned
Oh and @Tucah. He asked me to find a replacement for him. So thanks for lynching him. Had a hard time already to find enough replacements. :D

Yeah yeah, I was pissed at that vote because you told us some people were being replaced but you wouldn't say who. When I saw you replaced a lower number than you said the next day phase I realized we did your work for you and my whole vote was based on nada.

----------

Looking back on the game now, do you think cthulhu cult was under powered? Recruiting cult had the possibility to grow to 5 (with luck obviously) and town had a lot of PRs and general strength too, I almost feel bad for the CoC

Looking back on the game now, do you think cthulhu cult was under powered? Recruiting cult had the possibility to grow to 5 (with luck obviously) and town had a lot of PRs and general strength too, I almost feel bad for the CoC

I thought the same thing while the game was going on. They almost seemed set up to be the patsies. Maybe it would have felt differently if we caught one of the CoSN first.

Sorian

Banned
I thought the same thing while the game was going on. They almost seemed set up to be the patsies. Maybe it would have felt differently if we caught on of the CoSN first.

Yeah, not knowing about us until the CoC was dead did really weaken them but that was just a facet of the game, the first thing I said when I got recruited was that we had to kill Cthulhu cult asap so that we were in charge of the night (I didn't think Zatoth would announce our presence when CoC was gone) but yeah, even if we got revealed earlier, CoC still seemed a tad weaker than they should have been.

Another fun fact: I was dropping breadcrumbs of my own for the entire game as the prelude to a defence I never ended up using.

I was keeping a phony roleclaim of being Lythalia, one of the Great Old Ones and goddess of chance, life and prosperity in my back pocket with the fake power of preventing the cult from winning until I died, just in case it came down to either me or a cultist getting lynched and I thought I could swing the vote.

The clues I had been dropping were as follows:

1. Forced gambling metaphors shoehorned into nearly every post as a fake hint aty fake role as the goddess of chance

2. Using the royal We at the end of every day phase from Days 2-4/5 (can't remember when I stopped) to foreshadow delusions of grandeur

I ended up forgoing the fake defense entirely when my nose was to the grindstone, because Timeasis has tried the exact same ploy and it didn't get him anywhere the day before, and plus you guys are just too clever to fool. I even had a mock script written up for the reveal complete with a fake incantation:

Skogen den pratar, boskap på flykt
Fienden bränner våra marker
Rasslar med svärd och slår på sköldar
Redo att dräpa oss nu

Vi ber till dig Lythalia, lämna din kropp
Bli våran hövding, ta till vapen
Skänk oss din styrka vid denna strid
Vakna vakna, mäktiga Gud

Unnecessary? Definitely. Would it ever have worked? Probably not. But hey, us commoners have gotta do somethin' durin' th' night phase!

Zatoth

Don't think so.

L_P drew a lot of attention during Day 1 and became an easy target. Should Neuromancer have investigated Timeaisis he would have been pretty save from lynching + his kill protection made him very strong.

At the beginning I was thinking that the Shub-Cult was weaker. Originally Darryl was an Ordinary Tourist. I made him an Insane one to strengthen the Cult.

I never expected them to recruit all Insane Tourists. My guess was that they would be able to find two.

Another fun fact: I was dropping breadcrumbs of my own for the entire game as the prelude to a defence I never ended up using.

I was keeping a phony roleclaim of being Lythalia, one of the Great Old Ones and goddess of chance, life and prosperity in my back pocket with the fake power of preventing the cult from winning until I died, just in case it came down to either me or a cultist getting lynched and I thought I could swing the vote.

The clues I had been dropping were as follows:

1. Forced gambling metaphors shoehorned into nearly every post as a fake hint aty fake role as the goddess of chance

2. Using the royal We at the end of every day phase from Days 2-4/5 (can't remember when I stopped) to foreshadow delusions of grandeur

I ended up forgoing the fake defense entirely when my nose was to the grindstone, because Timeasis has tried the exact same ploy and it didn't get him anywhere the day before, and plus you guys are just too clever to fool. I even had a mock script written up for the reveal complete with a fake incantation:

Unnecessary? Definitely. Would it ever have worked? Probably not. But hey, us commoners have gotta do somethin' durin' th' night phase!

I probably would have believed it, because I was an Outer God. Wouldn't have seemed too crazy to have a Great Old One lurking around. The specificity would have been helpful, too. Time was way too wishy-washy with his fake claim, and that hurt him.

Me and Droplet had a fake claim prepared toward the end, as well. Since we still didn't know what being the second Cult worshipped, we thought it'd be a bad look to say we were Nyarlothotep. Since the game's flavor was that we were on a cruise ship, we would be the Newlyweds, and we were on our honeymoon. Nothing too extravagant.

Then to Edge and Nin, Rats is still definitely who you should use that recruit power on. That's our strongest ally if he is turnable.

Awww. Thanks, Sorian. <3

Sorry, but I was Town as fuck. I told you all on the first day, in my reads list.

We did it america

Yo Darryl! Real talk, you were a huge inspiration for me in this game. This post in particular, while Blarg was on his way to a Day One lynch:

This is truly the Salem Witch Trials of mafia. You guys make me want to bow out from sheer embarrassment.

It's just an ordinary "Darryl being Darryl" comment, but it truly made me step back and reevaluate how I was approaching this game. Everything I did, I owe to you. Thank you.

EDIT: Also, I treated you kinda shitty at one point in Day Two because you were asking questions about Matt's claim at a time when nobody else was. I'm sorry for that. Once again, your harsh demeanor set me on the right path.

Congrats Cthulhu players!!! You did awesomely!!!! All factions played happily... I think? Except for the slight lull after the departure of sorian and blarg... But I think the game bounced back really well :D

This was a very fun game to watch! Lots of crazy things went down and the roles are so creative!

Love the haiku and the other ' insanity' conditions! XD

*applauses* &#127881;

And now to read on the secret threads~~~~~ wheeeeeee~~~~~~~

^______^

Holy shit, nin and Worthy bickering in their thread is the funniest god damn thing I've read in a long time.

I thought it was just an act! But they really hate each other!

Droplet

Omg I actually took a nap and woke up to see if the results were out. Lol @ Sorian actually being a recruited tourist.

Sorry in advance to anyone who reads our chat!

edit: I wanted to use the book but TWE was too easy :(

edit2: I also want to point out that me and Rats never actually made a lovers claim, all I did was post the word love somewhere in all caps and you guys took it from there. No lies on our part! I mean, we had a lie prepared, and we would have used it, but we didn't lie.

Top Bottom