• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 2017 going "back to its roots" [Up: Gameplay roots, maybe setting too]

ar4757

I heard the Sledgehammer twitter had a video teaser with the sound of a bell that people thought was Big Ben in London (WW2 maybe)

this all won't happen but I wanna post what I would love:

historical setting
kill streaks
varied and diverse map design (no three lane maps)
no supply drops/loot boxes
no microtransactions
create something new rather than repackaging treyarch's zombies
no pick 10 system
bring back pro perk unlocks
don't name the game ______ warfare unless it's MW4

dugdug

Banned
Too bad.

Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare were the most interesting and refreshing the franchise has been since what, 2009?

I feel like Activision is basically admitting 'our customers have zero imagination, so we're going to cater strictly to the lowest common denominator'.

Yep. People think they want WW1 or 2 again.

Battlefield 1 was boring as fuck.

nOoblet16

Oh man it's all fine and dandy but I sure hope this doesn't mean we don't get Infinite Warfare 2. The campaign was really something special with the setting and mission structure. Due to the way you started a mission by walking to Jackal then coming back and FTL jumping to next planet in real time it always felt like you were traversing a cohesive real world. It's the Battlestar Galactica game I always wanted.

I would also want Treyarch to make a Black Ops 4 which is an actual continuation of Black Ops franchise rather than whatever the hell Black Ops 3 was.

Hip Hop

Sledgehammer has potential, this upcoming title will be there shot to make them "permanent" talent like Treyarch has become. This new era will be a good needed change.

Tosyn_88

The last modern warfare game that released was the worse received. It would be interesting to see what they got planned for the franchise. I'm definitely watching from skeptic position.
It would be very interesting to see how they want to position the franchise against battlefield and Titanfall

Gorillaz

It doesn't matter if it comes in a different coat, the philosophy shift they made in making the online since black ops 2 has been terrible. Like they really need to change the approach.

3 lane WW2 maps with weapon loot boxes lol

It doesn't matter if it comes in a different coat, the philosophy shift they made in making the online since black ops 2 has been terrible. Like they really need to change the approach.

3 lane WW2 maps with weapon loot boxes lol

My feelings exactly. And even if they were to come out and say loot boxes are going to be "only cosmetic," there'd be no reason to believe them after what they did to MWR.

Really sucks the trajectory the series has been on the past few years.

Steroyd

Interesting, I've been saying for a while that they have 3 studio's working on the franchise so why not have each of them be a dedicated past, present and future team, it makes perfect sense and fans of all timezones have something to look forward to eventually.

belushy

Banned
I'm expecting a form of simpler "advanced" movement this time around. No jetpacks or boosting/thrusting. Just sprinting, sliding, and wallrunning.

Thats if it is still going to be a futuristic game, but maybe more early in terms of technology. Black Ops 2.5anced Warfare.

wipeout364

Going to a historic setting would be a mistake IMO.
Infinite warfare has a great campaign and advanced warfare was solid IMO. BO3 had a mediocre to bad campaign. I don't really play zombies so I can't comment on that aspect but multiplayer had been good in the last three games.

I didn't like infinite warfare at first but after spending sometime with it I think I enjoy it the most of all this gens COD's ( not including the remaster which I haven't really played). They have spent a lot of time patching infinite warfare and it's pretty solid. I am sad to see them go back to standard combat as I passed on battlefield for that very reason, I love sci fi and the options it presents, everything is on the table for ideas, you can't get much more limited then WW1.( I guess you could do American Revolution ).

Kalentan

I'm expecting a form of simpler "advanced" movement this time around. No jetpacks or boosting/thrusting. Just sprinting, sliding, and wallrunning.

Thats if it is still going to be a futuristic game, but maybe more early in terms of technology. Black Ops 2.5anced Warfare.

There is actually a really fun mode in Infinite Warfare called Team Tactical that actually is that. Just sprinting, sliding, and wallrunning. Works very well.

kuYuri

I think people might have forgotten Sledgehammer also worked on Modern Warfare 3, so they have plenty of experience in making a game in the modern setting.

I think it will be a modern-ish game or near-future along the lines of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 or Ghosts. I could be completely wrong though. We'll find out in about 3 months from now.

Back to its roots? So we can assume historic or modern setting, a welcome change after five futuristic cods in a row. I'm just not sure any cod dev besides Treyarch can make a decent game anymore.

Kalentan

Back to its roots? So we can assume historic or modern setting, a welcome change after five futuristic cods in a row. I'm just not sure any cod dev besides Treyarch can make a decent game anymore.

Considering Treyarch made BO3 which had the single worst campaign in the entire series... I think Sledgehammer will be fine. Hell, AW and IW both had faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better campaign's then BO3 and at least, while IW is still having some issues, has been very communicative lately with the community, which is more than previous CoDs.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The LAST thing I wanted CoD to do is go back to WWII and it's the big reason why I didn't buy Battlefield One ;;

I don't want to go back to ignoring both CoD and Battlefield, urgh

RenditMan

Banned
Don't think a ww2 cod would sell tbh. Now PS4 pro boost is a thing I've gone back Bf4 and left BF1, not enough variation in the weapons in bf1 to keep me entertained. They either go Pew or boom.

Seventy70

I really hope they just use MW4 as a template. The COD mechanics and systems have gotten way too complicated. Anytime I start it up, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of different options. The series really needs to be de-cluttered and simplified.

Considering Treyarch made BO3 which had the single worst campaign in the entire series... I think Sledgehammer will be fine. Hell, AW and IW both had faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better campaign's then BO3 and at least, while IW is still having some issues, has been very communicative lately with the community, which is more than previous CoDs.

IMO that's an understatement. SP wise Infinite Warfare is among the best. I think I'd put it third under Cod 4 and Cod 2.

It was also a better Star Fox than Star Fox Zero.

So WWII, Server Browser, Dedicated servers and PC friendly?

ha! Of course not

You forgot the most important part that the games from CoD4-onward completely forgot about, and also the central reason the original Infinity Ward crew departed from EA in the first place.

Themes of futility and the player-character being an expendable cog in the well-oiled machine of war, instead of a Jingotron-9000 super-soldier who is THE LAST HOPE OF FREEDOM!

newbong95

Battlefield 1 did really good with its short story type campaign . Cod should keep the story personal and keep the world war part as background as naughty dog did with tlou. We could have something really special in fps afterall ..

How about a japanese perspective to ww2 ? Like iowa jima

Not another World War II shooter, please. I'm sick to death of WW2 shooters. Especially if they're just going to retread the European Theater for the umpteenth time.

If World War 2 happened as according to Call of Duty, there wouldn't have been anything happening in Africa or the Middle East, to say nothing of operations in Greenland and Antarctica (however minor, they happened).

I'd much rather an alt-history setting with a Cold War that escalated into World War III, or something.

It makes sense. Advanced Warfare didn't feel like the start of trilogy.

"This is bigger than you, and it's bigger than me!" - Jonathan Irons, at the end of Advanced Warfare. People don't give AW enough credit for its amazingly well-paced story, anyway.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I fucking loved Infinite Warfare, it was the best since CoD4.

Top Bottom