• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

MercuryLS

Banned
Remy said:
To bring us back to the topic at hand: COD4 PS3 uses the XMB friends list. You can't do any messaging, and you can only invite people who are already playing COD4.

Really? I didn't know that, I thought it used it's own game specific friends list. That's pretty good then, IW tried real hard to please everyone it seems.

Double D

sinnergy said:
Bad textures is a stupid complain imo, the BETA was the same, very up close ( and I mean close) textures look meh-ish. But it's the overall picture/art/lighting that counts, and cod4 impresses BIG TIME.

I had a dude over when I played the beta, and he said to me fuck wow you remember that MGS 4 demo 2k5, this looks just like it, only it's running 60 fps in real time.

I said fuck wow

This is how the conversation went down in sequence:

IW_Peasant said:
When you go online to play COD4 on the PS3 and the 360 the first person to join the lobby becomes the host. So you dont need dedicated servers to play the game. Thats how we played it during the testing and it worked fine. Smooth as silk. So it can depend on who is hosting:)

Covert_One said:
Look at page 1 towards the bottom. IW responded to the question saying there are no dedicated servers so it is fact.

Yeah Ill probably rent it for the SP too. P2P is not for me.. Especially when the PC version has dedicated server support. (plus mods)...

IW_Peasant said:
Its both:) Im saying you dont need a dedicated server to play.

Killa_Cobra said:
wat will happen when the host leaves?
Will someone else become host or will the game disconnect?

IW_Peasant said:
You get dropped back into a lobby with a the other players that were in the match:)

Sparda said:
Shocked wait..wait..wait a second...are you saying that there will be both p2p and dedicated servers???? Question

a simple YES or NO will do Wink

IW_Peasant said:

So I'd really like someone from IW to point out specifically if

a) this guy is blowing smoke up our asses about dedicated servers in the console versions

and

b) if the 360 version does indeed support them as well.

The guy on the COD forums is doing a little too much verbal dancing for my tastes.

Calen

belvedere said:
So there IS dedicated server support in the PS3 version?

Registration required
http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/bo...start=15&sid=9cbb438ba5229b7133e792f7fba5d5d0
Sorry guys, I think this is one of those times where people have different definitions of "dedicated" and "peer to peer".

We do not have dedicated, hosted, no-client servers on PS3 or 360. The PC game comes with a dedicated server executable for people to run if they want to set up a dedicated server, but the console game does not.

We choose the best host from the people in the match lobby, based on a ton of factors including bandwidth and everyone's ping to the host (it's got no relation to who was first in the lobby or anything like that.) Then that host serves as the server for that match. It's not "peer to peer" in the sense that clients don't run their own part of the server and send that gamestate around to each other over the net (which is what I personally think of when I hear "peer to peer".) But it's also not "dedicated" in the sense that most folks think of it.

If it helps, think of it as being similar to a "listen server" in a typical PC MP game, except the game chooses who'll run the server per match based on how good it thinks you'd be as a host.

The 360 and the PS3 are identical in this respect.

Calen said:
Sorry guys, I think this is one of those times where people have different definitions of "dedicated" and "peer to peer".

We do not have dedicated, hosted, no-client servers on PS3 or 360. The PC game comes with a dedicated server executable for people to run if they want to set up a dedicated server, but the console game does not.

We choose the best host from the people in the match lobby, based on a ton of factors including bandwidth and everyone's ping to the host (it's got no relation to who was first in the lobby or anything like that.) Then that host serves as the server for that match. It's not "peer to peer" in the sense that clients don't run their own part of the server and send that gamestate around to each other over the net (which is what I personally think of when I hear "peer to peer".) But it's also not "dedicated" in the sense that most folks think of it.

If it helps, think of it as being similar to a "listen server" in a typical PC MP game, except the game chooses who'll run the server per match based on how good it thinks you'd be as a host.

::bow

You have saved many lives today with your thorough and nigh-immediate reply.

Calen said:

Thanks.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You have saved many lives today with you thorough and nigh-immediate reply.

This is neogaf, they will still continue the debate even when the facts have been presented.

Lefty42o

Banned
Calen said:

just like i thought

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is how the conversation went down in sequence:

So I'd really like someone from IW to point out specifically if

a) this guy is blowing smoke up our asses about dedicated servers in the console versions

and

b) if the 360 version does indeed support them as well.

The guy on the COD forums is doing a little too much verbal dancing for my tastes.

Um, this part:
Originally Posted by Killa_Cobra:
wat will happen when the host leaves?
Will someone else become host or will the game disconnect?

Originally Posted by IW_Peasant:
You get dropped back into a lobby with a the other players that were in the match:)

...is not true. If the host leaves, the game ends. If you were in a party, you get dropped back to the party screen with your friends.

Opus Angelorum said:
This is neogaf, they will still continue the debate even when the facts have been presented.

I swear, if anyone still tries to battle over this, after a dev comes in and diffuses with Kudos winning style points, then, well, wow. That's just gratuitious. Like 28 Weeks Later gratuitous. (Yeah, I had a real problem with that movie for some reason.)

BenjaminBirdie said:
I swear, if anyone still tries to battle over this, after a dev comes in and diffuses with Kudos winning style points, then, well, wow. That's just gratuitious. Like 28 Weeks Later gratuitous. (Yeah, I had a real problem with that movie for some reason.)

And...relax.

:lol

Ken Masters said:
someone please confirm if this is true or not

columbo-1.jpg

Lefty42o

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

yeah 28 days later is a classic. anything past 15 mins in 28 weeks later is garbage. what a joke of a movie.

HOLY FUCK AT
NUKE DETONATION

The game went from awesome to, ZOMFGWTFBBQHOLYSHIT EPIC!

That part was fucking insane.....jesus christ.

It seems a lot longer than the reviews are saying, I have played for three hours and I have reached the end of Act I of III.

Fucking great game...time for some multiplayer.

Icy

Banned
Just confirmed with GameStop. Only their stores near the publisher's warehouses got it tonight for PC. Everyone else tommorrow.

MercuryLS

Banned
snack said:
HOLY FUCK AT
NUKE DETONATION

The game went from awesome to, ZOMFGWTFBBQHOLYSHIT EPIC!

That part was fucking insane.....jesus christ.

It seems a lot longer than the reviews are saying, I have played for three hours and I have reached the end of Act I of III.

Fucking great game...time for some multiplayer.

*calls EB games*

"we still don't have it, sir"

*kills self*

RavenFox

Banned
Calen said:

First let me say this. I have had this game since Saturday and Ive never experienced such delicious and gratifying combat. The Sniper mission alone makes other games a joke. Not to mention you have all of this running @ a glorious 60fps. Im now playing through the points sytem and the lives option is pretty cool.
I would have like it if you guys had an option where I can setup a PC to run as a dedicated server and why couldn't the extra stuff be put on the PS3 disc? Is this where I should just take it as this to make all games equal and not one to show up the other? Yes you guys could have done this and it is regretful but it doesn't take away from the amazing engine IW has built. Once again many thanks for such an awesome experience. Hoora!

Top Bottom