• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - New screenshots (+gameplay vid p5)

Shnookums

holy jpg compression disaster!

looking forward to seeing some shots that haven't been beaten to a pulp with the jpeg stick as it looks like there is a cool game under all that fuzzy mush.

chapel

Banned
Outside of the craptastic image compression GR used, there is a lot of potential there. Its hard to say if they are touched up or not, but if it looks this good real time Im stoked. I enjoyed CoD1 and 2, skipped 3 because of obvious reasons, lets just hope that they look at CoD1 for inspiration for the 4th installment. It was probably the best imo WW2 shooter ever put out.

I quit playing BF2 twice, and after the crap with the BF2142 beta, I didnt even buy the game err expansion. This looks 10x better than BF2.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
SapientWolf said:
I would say that there was some post-processing done, at the very least.

Guys, there are no bullshots.

This is how the game looks every day. No cinematic mode, no touch-ups, just plain old 60fps goodness.

JB1981 said:
So many good shooters coming

Seriously. Fall of '07 is going to be heaven for shooter fans. Although, I have a feeling it's going to be hard for any other shooter to avoid looking pale and weak next to this one. It probably won't be the most memorable or most talked about, but I doubt any other shooter is going to have even half the Holy Shit value of COD4.

commissar

newsguy said:
If that's real time smoke effects I'm in awe. CoD 2 had some badass smoke effects.
But they were 2D planes which rotated (badly) when you did >:| Great in stills, but motion ruined the effect completely.

The shots look great.
The realism mode has really sold me.
But please get rid of crappy scripting and crappy enemy spawn points!

Kbsmoker said:
BF2 is one of the best online FPS ever. You must been playing the console version. :lol
:lol

Actually the 360 version is very solid! I don't like BF2 on PC at all! Most of the maps are horrible

Mrbob

Doom_Bringer said:
Can we please stop this saying this now? Next gen began when PGR3 came out! KTHXBYE

No, it really did not.

Next gen has barely scratched the surface. It has been a long two years, but things are finally starting to show up.

PGR4 with its weather effects affecting gameplay is next gen.

how awesome would it be if at the end of the very first level your soldier stumbles across a time machine and is transported back to World War II?

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
how awesome would it be if at the end of the very first level your soldier stumbles across a time machine and is transported back to World War II?

Will Al be there to assist you through missions until your next leap?

Ninja Scooter said:

I expect great things from this game! The locales look interesting

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Holy !@#%^ shit, tell me these are bullshots.

Please.

Dear god this is the best looking war game I've ever seen.

JMPovoa

152164928220070523154144.jpg

Is that Solid Snake on disguise?

Amazing looking game. Can't wait.

Infinity Ward FTW... Every COD game they've put out (well, all two of them) has been gold. These shots only solidify my already high opinion of that studio. I'd like to see what they can do when/if they branch out into a project outside of COD.....

There's a short clip in the trailer that shows a chopper biting the dust, or rather it cuts right before it hits the ground. God damn. This game is going to kick every other shooter right in the junk.

Geoff9920 said:
Looks like concept art. Are they passing these off as if they're in-game or just not saying?

Quite a few of the shots were specifically tagged as in-game X360 shots in the GI article. Not sure what's up with the image quality here though, stuff looks "off".

Probably the most promising thing in that article was to read that Infinity Ward does not believe in the idea that 30fps is enough.

Ceb

83244568320070523154127.jpg

What's up with the crouching soldiers being so much taller than the roof of the car? Has it sunken down in a bog?

I still think the character modelling looks a bit odd. I also wonder if the change of setting will be enough for all the reviewers who started out their CoD3 texts with "who's sick of WWII games?".

Really liked CoD2 despite the overreliance on scripted events, so there's still hope I guess.

Geoff9920

AltogetherAndrews said:
Quite a few of the shots were specifically tagged as in-game X360 shots in the GI article. Not sure what's up with the image quality here though, stuff looks "off".

Probably the most promising thing in that article was to read that Infinity Ward does not believe in the idea that 30fps is enough.
Interesting, but I agree, something doesn't look quite right about these shots. Maybe it's just jpg compression.

RavenFox

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

Actually the 360 version is very solid! [I don't like BF2 on PC at all! Most of the maps are horrible[

Dude you must be out of your mind. The PC version rules all. Whats your pc rank by the way?

The problem I had with COD2 was that, while the peaks were more or less in a class of their own, it was all just one big peak. And as awesome as that was in short spurts, it had a numbing effect. I'm hoping that this one offers more balance between intensity and calm, but I'm not convinced IW even knows how to do calm.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
No matter how this game looks in the end, I do know that these guys are serious about 60 frames per second. That is definitely a positive.

RavenFox said:
Dude you must be out of your mind. The PC version rules all. Whats your pc rank by the way?
4lz9gld.jpg

The game is very overhyped. BTW it says I played my last game on May 25 but then I was only testing some graphics settings, I haven't really played the game since February 2007

SonnyBoy

Ninja Scooter said:

:lol :lol :lol That'd be my luck. I'm not a fan of WW2 shooters, this will be my first COD game.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
AltogetherAndrews said:

All in-game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Geoff9920 said:
Interesting, but I agree, something doesn't look quite right about these shots. Maybe it's just jpg compression.
It looks like they used a Photoshop filter to simulate depth of field.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Ninja Scooter said:
:lol now that's comedy.

We're STILL waiting on a WW1 game. Why has this not happened?

vpance

Doom_Bringer said:
http://i9.tinypic.com/4lz9gld.jpg

The game is very overhyped. BTW it says I played my last game on May 25 but then I was only testing some graphics settings, I haven't really played the game since February 2007

Landmine_Salesman eh? I remember killing/being killed by you :lol Haven't played BF2 in a long while either.

p3tran

Banned
I enjoyed so much COD2, that this is one of my most wanted games no matter what.
I just want the online to be solid from day 1

Top Bottom