• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Boss Mog

It's currently making it's rounds on Twitter and it has to be posted. What a hilarious screenshot of AW:

b1dlyizcyaayyth.jpg-muzbm.jpeg

I don't know... David Cage makes entire games that consist only of this type of "gameplay" and people go for it so...

Xater

Man, Videogamer just don't give a fuck about embargoes anymore do they? They must be hurting for views or something.

As explained they bought it themselves because they would not get a copy from Activision until tomorrow. It's totally fair, they didn't sign a NDA.

"Randoms" are people who enjoy the same game you do and sometimes communication is key to winning. Unless of course you just want to be a lone wolf just maximizing your K/D spread. I want to win.

LOL I don't give a fuck about k/d, never have, never will. Communicating doesn't even matter in this series. You die so fast that you can't really plan for anything. This isnt Gears horde mode. And yes randoms tend to mostly be 12 year olds just waiting to insult you.

Mafro

Man, Videogamer just don't give a fuck about embargoes anymore do they? They must be hurting for views or something.
Did you read it? From right at the start of the review:
Note: This week Activision held a review event for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. VideoGamer.com was not invited to this event. We were told we would receive a copy of the game on Monday, November 3, after the game had been released. Instead we bought the game ourselves and present this review without any form of embargo to adhere to.

Deadbeat

Banned
Boss★Moogle;137035873 said:
I don't know... David Cage makes entire games that consist only of this type of "gameplay" and people go for it so...
Thats because his games are exclusive to one platform. If they were multiplatform there would be no console warriors propping it up as being good.

Springy

How were they able to buy a retail copy for themselves ahead of street date and have enough time to play singleplayer, coop and multiplayer?

it just seems a little useless to make people press a button in that type of sequence. Why not just make the character do it themselves, unless there are branching paths and by not paying respects you become a different kind of character.

Xater

How were they able to buy a retail copy for themselves ahead of street date and have enough time to play singleplayer, coop and multiplayer?

In Europe? Quite easily. I got CODs in the past 4-5 days early. Maybe they also have some retail hookup which makes it even easier.

Isnt this a new engine? Why would the MP take such a hit visually? I know SP usually looks better but not by that big of a margin

New engine, but no one knows why there's a graphic disparity between SP and MP. What's super disappointing is the amazing HUD from SP is not in MP.

If I had to guess, the new engine is for SP only and MP is using the same old engine CoD has been using since the original release.

Last time I played TLOU remaster multiplayer I got a message with "stupid n$$% f#$$ n##$b", granted I had a terrible game but that behavoir is not an xbox exclusive, I have meet some nasty people on steam as well.

It's way more prevalent on Xbox live. I have yet to be insulted by anyone in my 8+ years of playstation online gaming.

Well review embargoes are bullshit anyway. Good on them for ignoring it.

Oh, I completely agree. It's just funny that between The Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive, and now this, it's obvious they just don't care. It would be really cool if I actually respected their website and opinions but I don't, not by a fucking mile.

Menome

When I was in retail, we'd often get copies of big games like Call of Duty a week or so in advance. If they've got a retail-based source willing to give them a copy under the counter, then it's reviews-away.

Mafro

Probably bought it from an indie shop which usually sells early or something. Nowhere near as shady as a review from a strict review event in a closed, controlled environment.

Springy

In Europe? Quite easily. I got CODs in the past 4-5 days early. Maybe they also have some retail hookup which makes it even easier.

When I was in retail, we'd often get copies of big games like Call of Duty a week or so in advance. If they've got a retail-based source willing to give them a copy under the counter, then it's reviews-away.

Sounds good to me. I just feel sorry for all the review outlets compelled to play by the rules and honor the embargo.

Elitist1945

But at least they can change the whole route of the game and where it goes. Anyways...

Oh, I completely agree. It's just funny that between The Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive, and now this, it's obvious they just don't care. It would be really cool if I actually respected their website and opinions but I don't, not by a fucking mile.

Yeah, reading their review and seeing them say BO2's campaign was terrible I can't respect their opinion. This article is actually the first time I've visited their site, so maybe its just the one reviewer.

alterno69

Banned
Just played an Uplink match with bots doing split screen with my son. Seems like a fun game mode as expected, should ve fun with humans lol.

U2NUMB

Just noticed that Best Buy is selling their copies at 12midnight eastern time.. so 9pm if you are pacific and 11pm for central (me).... I think I just found out what I am doing later :)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone thats installing now on XB1 when does the Read to Start prompt up in %?

It's because you selected 'remove' during the update. I did the same thing with Dead Rising 3. It doesn't just delete everything on its own. You input a command that you didn't mean to.

Didn't see anything which said remove just update and install was offered.

Netcode is pretty solid by the looks of it. Game looks beautiful a lot more color then ghosts also loving the sound and traversal.

Get these best value and download the companion app in the playstation store. There around 90 euro's so 80/90 dollars

X9Bwr67.jpg

Works with PS3/4 and Vita.

I was hoping there would be a special COD preset for this game :/

Menome

Sounds good to me. I just feel sorry for all the review outlets compelled to play by the rules and honor the embargo.

If Activision didn't seemingly try to snub small outfits like Videogamer by passing them off with release-day copies, it wouldn't happen. They didn't have to invite them to the big event but they could have at least sent out a copy of the game to be ready for review on launch day, rather than be ready for Tuesday/Wednesday when everyone's already gone out to buy it.

meanspartan

Ok so usually COD comes out the first Tuesday of November, but now it's out tonight at 9? Sorry, I haven't been following too closely this time around.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So we have to pay for Zombies now? How is this exciting to everyone?

there's already a full-blown co-op mode in the game. zombies is most likely just an extension of that survival mode. never really cared for the co-op modes...but i guess it sucks for those who do?

anyhow...i'm more annoyed that gorge requires you to buy the season pass instead of just including it with all day-0 purchases like they did in previous years with nuketown 2020 or freefall

Ok so usually COD comes out the first Tuesday of November, but now it's out tonight at 9? Sorry, I haven't been following too closely this time around.

there is a "day-0" pre-order version that releases a day early. not sure if you can just walk into a store and pick it up? also digital might still be available for pre-order.

Etnos

Banned

Springy

If Activision didn't seemingly try to snub small outfits like Videogamer by passing them off with release-day copies, it wouldn't happen. They didn't have to invite them to the big event but they could have at least sent out a copy of the game to be ready for review on launch day, rather than Tuesday/Wednesday when everyone's already gone out to buy it.

No, I get that, the bad guy here is definitely Activision for trying to control the message so tightly. But Videogamer still wins because they get their review out first and a shit ton of hits, the review still has a decent score bolted on so Activision won't mind too much, so the only people who're diminished by this are the reviewers who are obligated to honor the embargo. They played by the rules and came in second.

Not saying it's Videogamer's fault, though. They did what anyone would do.

Karak

Sometimes more than a week in some cases.

Top Bottom