• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' trailer (PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3, Nov 4th) [Up: Info]

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just watched the trailer and it looks good to me. Like a COD, Titanfall, BF2142 and Deadspace vibe all combined.

T'Zariah

Banned
"Engine" is simply a term used by an informed (when it comes to games, but largely uninformed about programming) audience about aesthetic dissimilarity or improvement to visuals in a gaming franchise. That's it. You can take "lol source" or "lol quake 3" as a slightly more erudite version of "grafix suckz" or "same graphix". And it's not like the marketing department or the devs do us any favors by telling us it's a new engine every time. Even if there is a totally legit improvement to the code, it is implicitly understood what is being asked when people bring up engine changes. So when IW says Ghosts is using a new engine the correct response of "lol quake" remains appropriate.

What the fuck am I am reading!?

You have zero clue what the fuck you're talking about.

Ghosts used a new engine. Period. Stop trying to be mentally obtuse by using semantics and ass backwards logic.

TheCloser

Banned
"Engine" is simply a term used by an informed (when it comes to games, but largely uninformed about programming) audience about aesthetic dissimilarity or improvement to visuals in a gaming franchise. That's it. You can take "lol source" or "lol quake 3" as a slightly more erudite version of "grafix suckz" or "same graphix". And it's not like the marketing department or the devs do us any favors by telling us it's a new engine every time. Even if there is a totally legit improvement to the code, it is implicitly understood what is being asked when people bring up engine changes. So when IW says Ghosts is using a new engine the correct response of "lol quake" remains appropriate.

This is a joke right?

TheCloser

Banned
It's blurry simply because of its native res and again, it's not compressed (enough for you to dismiss it this easily anyway), it's from the Gamersyde HQ file.
There's no YouTube compression at work and if you can't see that, I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

Funny you should say that.

But we're not comparing it to its roots. That argument is so flawed, it's not even funny. That's like say, the VW Golf gets a new model, which is exactly the same as the previous one, but according to your logic, they then can claim it's brand-new since it's not the first iteration any more. Engine's evolve with the times, but that's nothing unusual and nothing a developer can prolly use to say it's brand-new when it's obviously not.

Firstly i did not know it was from Gamersyde and secondly, if you are implying that gamersyde doesn't have any compression, i have news for you.

Secondly, its funny that you should say that.

Thirdly, in regards to engine talk, you really don't know what your talking about. smfh

"Engine" has an actual meaning, though, which is clearly not very well understood outside of game engineers. It's a bit of a joke saying that this is how informed people use the term.

iMax

giphy.gif

I just realized something. I have a feeling that there isn't going to be any female versions in multiplayer. It was just tossed in because people wanted. Now that it's been satisfied, people will stop caring. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

fasTRapid

Banned
secondly, if you are implying that gamersyde doesn't have any compression, i have news for you.

Secondly, its funny that you should say that.

Thirdly, in regards to engine talk, you really don't know what your talking about. smfh
Sorry, but the bolded gave me a chuckle. Firstly,
:D
I'm well aware of every video's usual compression. Gamersyde's though is - at least to me - not hugely obvious, which is what you were implying.

Secondly, seeing my screenshot comparison made me realize that YouTube's shitty compression if anything actually helps a little hiding the otherwise hugely obvious IQ flaws,

Thirdly, I'm taking last year for example, when Activision said that Ghosts was being built with a brand-new engine
and they actually only integrated a few features, that were long overdue (such as SubD) and called it
a day
the next generation of their engine.

"Engine" is simply a term used by an informed (when it comes to games, but largely uninformed about programming) audience about aesthetic dissimilarity or improvement to visuals in a gaming franchise. That's it.

No. The people who use the word "engine" know what an engine is. The people who aren't familiar with the term don't use it.

Thirdly, I'm taking last year for example, when Activision said that Ghosts was being built with a brand-new engine

They said that because they DID build a brand new engine. They DIDN'T say they were building it from scratch however. Engines are constantly iterated on. Just because it features few new features doesn't make it any less new. The Ghosts engine had lighting that previous CoD games never had along with real time destructive (albeit minimal) moments within various levels (again, something previous CoDs never had unless you consider shattering windows destruction).

Do you also think Engines like Cryengine 3 are not new iterations over Cryengine 2? Perhaps all Crytek did was slap a new name onto Cryengine 2 right?

a916

One thing they must do is make good maps. Cant believe how shit they have been after mw2.

Let me have buildings where there isnt 1000 different entrances.

Let me have multiple sniping areas.

Let me freaken camp without worrying about getting double teamed.

Jesus.

Sick of this run n gun only and screw the rest focus the devs have had.

Yeah, that's my main gripe with Ghosts. A guy in the Ghosts MP discussion thread claiming to be from Respawn shed some light on this. Apparently most of the map design team left after MW2 (and joined Respawn) and the people that were with the company during MW3 left and Ghosts was and entirely different staff.

And it showed...

Also this, the 1000 entrances to a single room is so infuriating.

a916

They said that because they DID build a brand new engine. They DIDN'T say they were building it from scratch however. Engines are constantly iterated on. Just because it features few new features doesn't make it any less new. The Ghosts engine had lighting that previous CoD games never had along with real time destructive (albeit minimal) moments within various levels (again, something previous CoDs never had unless you consider shattering windows destruction).

Do you also think Engines like Cryengine 3 are not new iterations over Cryengine 2? Perhaps all Crytek did was slap a new name onto Cryengine 2 right?

Anyone who knows anything about game development and game engines knows that most engines are iterative works.

When is it time to call it CryEngine 3 and not 2.7 is completely up to the developers.

Even delving into Unreal 4 you can tell there's definitely some Unreal 3 in there. Does that mean Unreal 4 isn't new?

maneil99

Yeah, that's my main gripe with Ghosts. A guy in the Ghosts MP discussion thread claiming to be from Respawn shed some light on this. Apparently most of the map design team left after MW2 (and joined Respawn) and the people that were with the company during MW3 left and Ghosts was and entirely different staff.

And it showed...

Also this, the 1000 entrances to a single room is so infuriating.
If you have less entrances its easy to camp...

stack9902

Banned
Virtual Spacey looks weird. Also COD HAS to be running out of US landmarks to blow up.

Also I guess the rumours of MS losing the co marketing deal are false.

"get the ultimate call of duty experience on xbox one" is a really weird thing to say. Wonder what it means. If its timed DLC they would just say so

I can see them continuing that trend on with this version as well, probably more timed DLC, and as the video shows, they added "this footage is from XB1" so they might have paid a lil extra for that too :)

Call me crazy, but if they do add 3 big things for the PC:

1. Dedicated servers
2. Private servers (and still being able to level up)
3. True and really good PC options

I may actually buy another COD game, especially since this game seems interesting. I may actually buy it over BF considering how EA has fucked that up...

Deadbeat

Banned
I hope they have actual dedicated servers instead of this pretend shit blops 2 and ghosts had. You cut up so much of the bandwidth to host as many games as possible on one cluster and it showed in those games. Lagtacular.

Nokterian

Call me crazy, but if they do add 3 big things for the PC:

1. Dedicated servers
2. Private servers (and still being able to level up)
3. True and really good PC options

I may actually buy another COD game, especially since this game seems interesting. I may actually buy it over BF considering how EA has fucked that up...

Nope..nope..and nope!

If you want that well Treyarch is the only answer since there is a small dedicated pc team there.

One thing they must do is make good maps. Cant believe how shit they have been after mw2.

Jesus.

Ghosts had the worst map design ever. It was like MW3's Dome, but 10x worse and all the maps were like that. Can't do anything without the enemy team spawning five feet behind you and then killing you.

Nonentity

As someone who mostly plays as a run and gunner and is strongly anti-camping and anti-sniper and all that, I vastly prefer the older MW2 maps that had spots with single entrances and so on. It actually created a situation where you know they'd be in certain spots so you'd check them.

In Ghosts, there were so many potential spots people could camp and none of them were very good, due to the gallons of flank routes.

Nope..nope..and nope!

If you want that well Treyarch is the only answer since there is a small dedicated pc team there.

Considering how PCs and the newest consoles use the same x86 architecture and basic PC code, I don't think it would be that hard to make a PC version that is worthy of being on the PC. But you know them, they'll probably take the shortcuts and not do that...

joecanada

Actually veins popping out like that is pretty inductive of steroid use. I expect the soldiers in this gane to be on some sort of drug also.

steroids have no impact on a persons veins... however having a high muscle mass coupled with low bodyfat causing veins to pop, is definitely indicative of steroid use !
and yes, i'm sure this would help soldiers immensely, as well as some growth hormone milkshakes lol.

kuYuri

Good. Cod was at its best when u had variety, not just 1 playstyle which dominates all. Nothing wrong with camping, legitimate strategy and all :)

Which is the thing that tons of people complain about...

Face it, there's nothing they can do that will have everyone satisfied at this point.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Jesus.

They never really bothered to balance out sniping in the game. So it gets really stupid really quickly.

rdrr gnr

No. The people who use the word "engine" know what an engine is. The people who aren't familiar with the term don't use it.
"Engine" has an actual meaning, though, which is clearly not very well understood outside of game engineers. It's a bit of a joke saying that this is how informed people use the term.
No. They don't. Or at least not really. Unless they are programmers or work within the industry.

Let me give you an example. I'm not a programmer, but why is it when on this forum someone says the word "engine" I'm not furiously tabbing over to Wikipedia to look up a definition? Why do I feel comfortable with the word? Why is it when someone uses the word "engine" there aren't 30 posts quoting him asking what an engine is despite the last 29 people to have read his post were something other than programmers? Imagine you walk up to some guy who plays only Madden and Fifa with his friends and ask him about "game engines" he isn't really going to have a response for you. But if you are into the games industry (like any GAF member) then you understand that terminology, so you use it and borrow it, but it has a totally different connotation for someone who writes code. You might understand what it does, but not how it works -- not really. Most GAFfers are closer to the Fifa/Madden guy than they are to the programmer.

This is a joke right?

What the fuck am I am reading!?

You have zero clue what the fuck you're talking about.

Ghosts used a new engine. Period. Stop trying to be mentally obtuse by using semantics and ass backwards logic.
It's not mentally obtuse, but yes, my argument like many arguments unfortunately comes down to semantics. I'll make it as dumb as I possibly can just for you, Vizantir. When people complain about Call of Duty not using a new engine they almost always mean how samey all the games look. "New engine" = "new, pretty, improved, yet dissimilar graphics." That's it. People have this expectation that graphics improve over time, especially within the same franchise because you have a perfect point of comparison: the previous title. But my point isn't ultimately about what words they use, but they sentiment they attempt to express. Telling them "but Ghosts does use a new engine" does nothing to assuage their reservations (thus why they think bringing up quake is relevant). It's as inaccurate and as misguided as bringing up "quake 3." They are not talking about how much more efficient it is or how much easier it is for designers and artists to use. They are not talking about how it changed over time or how it was altered and tuned just for this game. They are simply giving it the eyeball test -- "Do this look new and different and BETTER?" That's it. I mean, holy shit, this is the least controversial point ever made on GAF.

They are not talking about how much more efficient it is or how much easier it is for designers and artists to use. They are not talking about how it changed over time or how it was altered and tuned just for this game.

Yes, they are. Most people on Gaf know what an engine is. Stop your bullshit.

rdrr gnr

Yes, they are. Most people on Gaf know what an engine is. Stop your bullshit.
No. You either don't get it still or are incapable of getting it ever. Feel free to search the gaming side for "engine call of duty" and get posts like these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110340589&postcount=1236
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110320438&postcount=476
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110259982&postcount=249
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110672206&postcount=2604
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107117321&postcount=20
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110624068&postcount=2552

That's only from the first page. What an engine is for most non-industry people, including members of this forum, begins and ends at how something "looks." Any other appreciation is ultimately superficial unless they have the appropriate education/skills.

No. You either don't get it still or are incapable of getting it ever. Feel free to search the gaming side for "engine call of duty" and get posts like these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110340589&postcount=1236
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110320438&postcount=476
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110259982&postcount=249
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110672206&postcount=2604
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107117321&postcount=20
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110624068&postcount=2552

That's only from the first page. What an engine is for most non-industry people, including members of this forum, begins and ends at how something "looks." Any other appreciation is ultimately superficial unless they have the appropriate education/skills.

You are being presumptuous. You're presuming that people looking at graphics to tell if the game is running on a new engine are not aware of the full benefits of having a new engine. It's pretty much a fact that with a new engine comes higher potential of great graphics. Unless I missed something, franchises that have switched to a new engine at some point have always had a boost in graphics at the same time. You cannot fault people for using visuals to tell if the game uses a new engine, and you shouldn't presume that they don't know better because of that.

Joco

I wonder what Treyarch is up to now that Sledgehammer has (seemingly) taken over the "future warfare" of the COD franchise.

Korten

Banned
Top Bottom