• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 confirmed for Wii U

I thought I heard him say "released during the launch window this fall."

Pointer aiming means I will buy. Oh please have splitscreen though and preferably good coop modes.

KageMaru

Is there any media of the game running on the Wii-U? I'm curious to see if there are any improvements to the game such as a higher resolution or more stable frame rate.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The inclusion of Wii controls make this the definitive version and a must buy. THANK YOU, TREYARCH!!!

I agree: I'd love to see this becoming the standard for all the Wii U fps.
I mean: I'd love to be able to choose-shift from the Gamepad (with motion sensor, map, inventory and especially the splitscreen no more split features) and the remote + nunchak control scheme

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The inclusion of Wii controls make this the definitive version and a must buy. THANK YOU, TREYARCH!!!

We sure it is being developed by Treyarch? I asked Lamia about motion controls when I was at Treyarch for a BOII MP press tour and he was basically uneducated about the whole motion controls thing.

Perhaps he was just bluffing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't really like COD but the pointer controls are tempting. I'll buy it at the right price.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This will be a fun rental to blow through the single player campaign and then mess around with the online modes for a bit. Obviously though it's one of the most important third party titles for WiiU.

Mit-

Anyone know the native resolution of the screen on the GamePad? Trying to imagine people fighting over who plays on what screen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
QUE

Definitive for motion controls? I doubt it.

You know, I'm actually planning on buying a Wii U now just for that reason.
In fact, I'm even more pissed now about the PS3 version not supporting the Move since theoretically I shouldn't need to buy a whole new system to enjoy BOII with proper controls.

King_Moc

Banned
Where is this mentioned? Figured it would just be a port of the PS360.

It wouldn;t be difficult to change the resolution in a port. You literally just change the numbers over in the code. They'd have to redesign the hud is all, unless they want it to look blurry.

King_Moc

Banned
Actually, watching the video, that map looks like a complete clusterfuck. They've just dropped in crates without thought. Classic CoD.

They were just showing off how two people can play using one console without sharing a screen.

that's gonna be cool if it gets picked up on more titles.

EDIT: They still haven't clarified exactly how online will work, not only for this but for any online game shown so far. Have nintendo stood by the wild west idea of every 3rd party hosting their own service or do they have something else in mind?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know, I'm actually planning on buying a Wii U now just for that reason.
In fact, I'm even more pissed now about the PS3 version not supporting the Move since theoretically I shouldn't need to buy a whole new system to enjoy BOII with proper controls.

I'm not as big a fan on that, I guess. I understand why you would be though.

andthebeatgoeson

What, is the game playable with the Wiimote pointer? Hell yeah if true. I mean, I don't car about CoD, but I do care about a decent subtitute for KB/mouse for first-person games on consoles. The Wiimote/NC combo is the closest I've seen to that.

This will sound crazy: wiimote + nunchuck exceeds kb/mouse when implemented well. Bear with me: I have played PC games and spent the first half of the game getting each button down correctly. Wiimote and NC on RE4 was heaven and I didn't need to remember anything. Before you burn me at the stake, some waggle for certain moves are easier to remember than R for reload or whatever. It's not that big of a deal because I can plow thru but wiimote is the best innovation for FPS and other shooters over the past decade.

I'm replaying dead space (on PC) and I've accidentally hit buttons in the heat of shooting that just seems awkward. I know I can select any buttons but I think it's a bad control setup. And I think waggle has some utility that just makes sense with some motion (ie waggle to continuously aim while moving, throw grenades, reload).

It's unfortunate that waggle and anything wii related was so dismissed by 3rd parties because of how much progress was made with so little effort. I can only imagine what control scheme they would have come up with for bioshock, dead space and other games. I can see that any developer can make a shitty control scheme with any device, including kb/m but I have the feeling that the wiimote would exceed KB/M, at it's best.

Mit-

This will sound crazy: wiimote + nunchuck exceeds kb/mouse when implemented well. Bear with me: I have played PC games and spent the first half of the game getting each button down correctly. Wiimote and NC on RE4 was heaven and I didn't need to remember anything. Before you burn me at the stake, some waggle for certain moves are easier to remember than R for reload or whatever. It's not that big of a deal because I can plow thru but wiimote is the best innovation for FPS and other shooters over the past decade.

I'm replaying dead space (on PC) and I've accidentally hit buttons in the heat of shooting that just seems awkward. I know I can select any buttons but I think it's a bad control setup. And I think waggle has some utility that just makes sense with some motion (ie waggle to continuously aim while moving, throw grenades, reload).

It's unfortunate that waggle and anything wii related was so dismissed by 3rd parties because of how much progress was made with so little effort. I can only imagine what control scheme they would have come up with for bioshock, dead space and other games. I can see that any developer can make a shitty control scheme with any device, including kb/m but I have the feeling that the wiimote would exceed KB/M, at it's best.

I actually think tablet control is the best possible aiming function. I don't think there are many other muscles in our body that offer as much accuracy and precision as our fingers when holding a pen. It was always a joy to me to aim in DS shooters, the only downfall being the low resolution/sensitivity of the screen, and the small size of the screen (especially since you have to map some of the buttons to icons on the screen).

Wii U could have some truly phenomenal tablet controls for first person perspectives, and I really hope a company tries it out soon.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Is there a video up anywhere in HD of the gameplay from the stream?? I watched the video on 3G in a doctors office this AM and want to see the graphics in HD how they compare to current games etc..

We sure it is being developed by Treyarch? I asked Lamia about motion controls when I was at Treyarch for a BOII MP press tour and he was basically uneducated about the whole motion controls thing.

Perhaps he was just bluffing.

I have a hard time seeing them working on the 360, PC, and PS3 versions then taking on the WiiU port at the last minute. Seems like a little overload for one studio.

brainpann

It's surprising that a Wii U Blops2 bundles hasn't been announced. Japan and Europe are getting a 3rd sku but not the U.S.?

Whatevs.

It wouldn;t be difficult to change the resolution in a port. You literally just change the numbers over in the code. They'd have to redesign the hud is all, unless they want it to look blurry.

I highly doubt it's as simple as "changing the numbers over" while at the same time keeping their target of 60fps.

Still looking for a source on the native 720p.

Actually, watching the video, that map looks like a complete clusterfuck. They've just dropped in crates without thought. Classic CoD.

Uhh... have you actually been following Blops II or even COD in general? the crates encricle a central area where a crane moves smaller crates around. I'm guessing it plays similarly to Countdown in MW1 where the general strategy was to circle around the map unless you wanted to risk getting plastered in the middle for a quick shortcut.

Top Bottom