• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Beta | PC Performance Thread

Tovarisc

Seems best to do a cold boot before you load the game. Mine black screened on the very first start up but a reboot sorted it.
Pretty sure the Beta has a memory leak because if you exit out the game and then reload it stutters. A reboot sorts it completely.

How much RAM you have? I'm running 16GB and BO3 Beta stabilized to around ~5GB RAM used with peaking around 5.3GB for short periods of time. If Beta is designed to hog RAM like no ones business then you don't need memleak to run into issues in that regard.

I have a PC that doesn't meet the minimum specs for GPU, but want to try it nonetheless. I can't even get to the title screen without it crashing. Anyone have cfg files with everything on low for me to test?

Pjsprojects

How much RAM you have? I'm running 16GB and BO3 Beta stabilized to around ~5GB RAM used with peaking around 5.3GB for short periods of time. If Beta is designed to hog RAM like no ones business then you don't need memleak to run into issues in that regard.

True,will check my ram use in a bit and post back. I'm only running 8gb.

CryptiK

i7-2600K
8GB RAM
GTX Titan
Win 10

Game runs like sludge. Mouse accel seems to be forced on even after turning it off. And rego is fucking awful. Projected game life on PC? Less than a month.

Okay, thanks to the config provided by Tovarisc I got it to run at 800x600 on low settings with the following specs (lol)

AMD A8-3500 overclocked to 2.2ghz (quad core)
AMD Radeon 6620G (512MB vram)
8GB RAM
15-20fps in menu, 20-25fps in game (what?)

Looks HORRIBLE, but it's playable. Barely. I really don't know why it lags more in the menu than in game either.

Uses over 8gb Vram at 1080p maxed out at 144hz with SMAAx2

Runs flawlessly on a titan x, but people with 980 ti's i was playing with were complaining about micro stutter which i assume is also your issue Steve

It would appear, that in its beta state the game uses a heck of a lot of VRAM on the highest texture settings. It would be cool to know how much each setting uses, care to take some screens running the different texture resolution settings with the OSD overlay?

Mahnmut

Find a solution to my black screen problem : set stereo instead of 5.1 in Windows sound options. Managed to play a round, game crashed at the end. Very disappointed after a good run on the PS4 beta.

impact

Banned
i7-2600K
8GB RAM
GTX Titan
Win 10

Game runs like sludge. Mouse accel seems to be forced on even after turning it off. And rego is fucking awful. Projected game life on PC? Less than a month.

This has been a problem in every PC CoD since BO2

Hilarious how many people can't tell they're using forced mouse accel :x

RedRumy3

Downloading now but from reading comments it seems its runs like call of duty ghost did, like shit. lol.

My cousin keeps telling me to buy it on ps4 when it releases lol

Okay, so due to performance, and mouse movement, I can't really tell how I feel about this one yet. I microstuttered just about every time I got shot which didn't help. Oh well, at least I sorta got to try it.

Zomba13

Okay, so due to performance, and mouse movement, I can't really tell how I feel about this one yet. I microstuttered just about every time I got shot which didn't help. Oh well, at least I sorta got to try it.

Same. I did have a match or two where it was fine but then the stutter came back even when I didn't change any settings. Almost always happened when I was getting shot. Didn't happen when I was just blindly firing alone, always when there was another person I was in a gunfight with.

Tovarisc

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz
16GB DDR4
980Ti
W10 Pro

In game settings:
1080p
60FPS lock
All High or On

Game stays locked at 60, but stuttering is very noticeable during gameplay.

Edit: Aiming, moving mouse, is floaty as fuck. Aiming at targets isn't snappy and responsive. Mouse Acc. is off.

Edit: Upscaled to 1.3, 60FPS locked. Stutters.

alpha43

Neo Member
As I reported in main beta thread, I have no performance issues running the game at 1440p at a locked 144fps. SLI scales nicely on my Titan X's and I have not experienced any stuttering at all. As others have noted it seems the game uses a ton of VRAM which is causing the stuttering issues for many trying to run textures on extra. The game (at least for me) utilizes at its highest 7.7GB of VRAM. Also if it helps I am using an older driver (353.62).

Tovarisc

As I reported in main beta thread, I have no performance issues running the game at 1440p at a locked 144fps. SLI scales nicely on my Titan X's and I have not experienced any stuttering at all. As others have noted it seems the game uses a ton of VRAM which is causing the stuttering issues for many trying to run textures on extra. The game (at least for me) utilizes at its highest 7.7GB of VRAM. Also if it helps I am using an older driver (353.62).

I'm running High textures on 980Ti that has 6GB VRAM, according Afterburned game is using <=4.5GB of VRAM during match. Kinda mind blowingly a lot for considering that most of textures are nothing to write home about and game has a lot popin issues. I experience stuttering constantly during gameplay.

What do you consider good scaling? High, even usage on both cards in afterburner? Or just even usage? I'm eyeballed 70ish on card 1 and 50ish on card 2 (980ti sli)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Setting 60 as the cap reduces the freezing I'm getting, but introduces massive tearing but it's at least a little playable.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm downloading it right now. Will be able to report how a 4790k/r9 290 on windows 10 runs it.

I was also getting the bad stuttering until I put the textures on high and toned down the AA. Getting around 110 fps smooth now.

edit: Except the downtown map or whatever, that still seems to run like ass at times.

alpha43

Neo Member
What do you consider good scaling? High, even usage on both cards in afterburner? Or just even usage? I'm eyeballed 70ish on card 1 and 50ish on card 2 (980ti sli)

For the most part it was pretty even scaling from what I remember but I can refer back to the screenshots I took if you would like more information. I recall it was mostly in the 70-80's usage range on both cards.

Also if anyone wanted to know my specs based on my previous post I have a 3930K (stock speed), 16GB DDR3, GTX Titan X (in SLI), SSD as primary drive, and Windows 8.1. Also I should mention I use a G-Sync monitor (ROG Swift) so that may be another reason why I do not have stutter.

Pjsprojects

Seems ok for me.

BO3.png

DTKT

GTX 670
i5-750 OC to 3.7
16GB of RAM

Games runs like absolute trash. To get a constant 60 I need to use the lowest setting possible at 1920x1080 instead of my monitor native 1440p. The mouse stuttering and micro freezing make the gameplay a frustrating mess. This is a terrible port and I don't think anything is going to change between this and the release.

COD is dead on the PC.

For the most part it was pretty even scaling from what I remember but I can refer back to the screenshots I took if you would like more information. I recall it was mostly in the 70-80's usage range on both cards.

Also if anyone wanted to know my specs based on my previous post I have a 3930K (stock speed), 16GB DDR3, GTX Titan X (in SLI), SSD as primary drive, and Windows 8.1. Also I should mention I use a G-Sync monitor (ROG Swift) so that may be another reason why I do not have stutter.

Ah okay. I also have that monitor. Turning down from "extra" textures fixed all my suttering. Have you tried ulmb yet?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Windows 10 355.80 beta driver is MUCH better in BO3, my freezing has been reduced heavily and I can use 120fps again so the tearing is gone.

Pjsprojects

GTX 670
i5-750 OC to 3.7
16GB of RAM

Games runs like absolute trash. To get a constant 60 I need to use the lowest setting possible at 1920x1080 instead of my monitor native 1440p. The mouse stuttering and micro freezing make the gameplay a frustrating mess. This is a terrible port and I don't think anything is going to change between this and the release.

COD is dead on the PC.

Right mixed bag of responses on this game,for some it runs poor but for others it's great.
Lets hope they sort it from the feedback the devs get.

LQX

Looks and runs great on my 960. Did not fiddle much but with nearly everything maxed with Filmic AA 2x and screen 3D resolution at 1.30 I get stable consistent frames above 50. Going to mess about a little to get a consistent 60.

Papacheeks

Banned
The 355.80 beta driver is MUCH better in BO3, my freezing has been reduced heavily and I can use 120fps again so the tearing is gone.

Is this for windows 10 only? I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. ANd my room mate is running Windows 8.1 Home 64 bit.

I searched the Nvidia site couldn't find it. All I found was current one, 355.60.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is this for windows 10 only? I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. ANd my room mate is running Windows 8.1 Home 64 bit.

I searched the Nvidia site couldn't find it. All I found was current one, 355.60.

This driver is for Windows 10 only.

cripterion

G-Sync doesn't seem to work at all in this game. It's so fucking stuttery. SLI, Single card. It just isn't smooth.

Fucking hell I was sure we weren't getting a goddamn console port after they announced split screen on multiple monitors but this beta is running like trash right now. I want to be optimistic for the final game but then why let the beta run for only a few days?

Leave it on for a month and soak it in Treyarch! You need all the feedback you can get.

Zomba13

So this seems a stuttery mess for me no matter the settings. Even everything on low I still get stutter when I enter a gun fight. It seems consistent to when there are other people on the screen shooting (so almost every time you find an enemy).

It's weird though, I did have one or two games where it was fine and didn't change the settings at all and now it's back to super stuttery. It's weird because at every other point, running around, blindly shooting at nothing, spinning around fast, I'm getting way over 60fps. It seems that when I enter combat no matter my fps it drops a big chunk, so even if I'm at around 100 it'll drop loads and if I cap at 60 it drops to 50~.

It's a big shame as I'm enjoying this loads. I really hope these issues are gone for launch.

Game runs pretty well on a 970GTX and 4690K @ 3.5Ghz.

Always above the 80fps. However; it feels stuttery and when I put on vsync the input lag is EXTREME. Even when playing with the controller it's too much input lag. It is buttery smooth though.

Phinor

Another Geforce user here (970), another report of unplayable stuttering and terrible mouse controls. The stuttering/hitching/freezing gets better the lower I put my settings at but even at everything off/low and render scale at 0.50, I get massive freezes. Typically when I meet an enemy who starts shooting at me (of course). 3570k and 16GB DDR3, Windows 10.

Much like lowering settings, capping fps at 60 helps as well, but the game still stutters. Just not as much as previously. I'm not going to play with even small amount of stuttering though. It's not much of a looker and it really shouldn't run this bad but that's roughly what I said about Advanced Warfare as well. Just some fundamental issues with their game engines (especially in comparison to Frostbite etc.)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The evac map runs the worst of them all. I don't really get any stutter or drops on the other maps, but evac is horrible.

rObit

Banned
Oh, missed this thread. I was posting in the general beta thread. So I was having the stuttering and thought that maybe updating my drivers would help (it had been awhile.) Updated the drivers, now the game won't even launch. Friends list shows I'm playing it for a brief moment, then disappears. No "launching game" box pops up from Steam, I don't even see the process ever start. I restarted my computer and verified the files in Steam, no luck. On a GTX 760.

edit* The process does actually show up for about a half a second.

edit 2* Other games still work fine.

Tokubetsu

I just built this comp last week but everything runs great heare. 960, 16gigs of ram and an i5-4460. All high, but i turned AA off. Lowest FPS dip is into mid 70s.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Increase your pagefile and see if it helps smooth out the game, when I had mine set low it crashed entirely, when I set it to Windows managed it stuttered heavy, when I manually set it to 12GB (noticed the game uses about 10 - 11GB) it became much better, but still not perfect. Coupled with the WINDOWS 10 beta driver my game is playable and now feels like a beta instead of an alpha. I am really loving the game, and I am just murdering fools without mercy right now, best so far is 63 - 4, need dat 100 kill gameplay before beta ends.

Leetums

GTX 670
i5-750 OC to 3.7
16GB of RAM

COD is dead on the PC.

You shouldnt be expecting 1440p maxed out current gen games at 60fps on a gtx670.

mbmonk

Stutter despite turning everything down.

i5-4690k @ 4.1 GHZ
970GTX
8GB RAM

I have tried every menu option and I can't make is stop stuttering. :(

Papacheeks

Banned
Stutter despite turning everything down.

i5-4690k @ 4.1 GHZ
970GTX
8GB RAM

I have tried every menu option and I can't make is stop stuttering. :(

Did you try turning adaptive Vsync on in your nvidia control panel, and put your FPS limit to 60 in COD menu?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Guys the game shows me NAT is strict..i didn't have this on PS4. Do i need to open ports now for moderate or open?

I was moderate, opened ports and now it's open.

27014-27050
4379-4380

Top Bottom