• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III Review Thread

joecanada

I feel like I read a post like this every year after each COD release..

Yup. I'm waiting for the first cod MP impressions thread for some feedback on lag, servers, etc.... Been a dumpster fire for years so would like to know how this has been suddenly fixed which I find unlikely

BokehKing

Banned
Yup. I'm waiting for the first cod MP impressions thread for some feedback on lag, servers, etc.... Been a dumpster fire for years so would like to know how this has been suddenly fixed which I find unlikely
Right now it seems fine, lets see what happens when the kids get home from school and the population is at its highest tonight

I feel like I read a post like this every year after each COD release..

vghLL.png

heringer

I talked about it in my review. Its fantastic the voiceovers are well done, the levels are mixed up in order and the enemy mix makes the gameplay feel fresh including changes to how some weapons are collected. Additionally the way its delivered, past/present, stands out from the original title. Its always strengthed by playing the original campaign first so you can see all the little tweaks they did. Even to the music and such.

Awesome! For the record, you are my favorite video reviewer out there. Your reviews always cover all the bases and are entertaining. Now that I'm home I'm going to watch the whole thing. Thanks!

RMI

Banned
I bought the last game based on Jeff Gerstmann's praise of it. I feel like he was pretty spot on about AW. It was a good game. Seeing him be kind of indifferent to this one makes me wonder if I will enjoy it or not, but I think I'll still be getting it eventually.

Ohhhh Yeaaaa!!! It looks like Black Op 3 and Just Cause 3(crosses fingers) will be the games I look forward to the most this holiday season. I looked at the Giant Bomb review because it was one of the lowest reviewed but was unimpressed. It seems like that reviewer only cared about multiplayer and his main complaint was that he didn't like some of the tweaks made to the system. He admits that this is just his opinion and others might like them. I'm more of a campaign and local coop guy anyway so that matters even less to me. I haven't played a Call of Duty game in years, but this one has me excited for the series again. Nice job guys.

J4mm1nJ03

That's an incredible OT.

I seriously can't figure out if I want to pick this game up or not. :( It's waiting for me at Bestbuy right now, basically $40 with GCU and the preorder credit.

I have never particularly loved COD. I don't hate it, it just isn't my particularly preferred brand of MP, I guess. I'm much more of a Halo, Battlefield, TF2 kind of guy. I love Halo for its higher TTK, meaning that the gunfights are more about who can better use the tools at their disposal, vs whoever generally starts shooting first in COD wins. I liked using the glitch ability in the Beta since it allowed for an occasional escape if someone gets the drop on you, a general rarity in the COD games.

I did enjoy my time with Black Ops 1 though, and if I am going to buy a COD game it may as well be Treyarch's. I don't care for zombies at all though, so that's off the table as a selling point for me. There's just so much coming out between Halo, Battlefront, FO4, Bloodborne DLC and Just Cause 3 that I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to even pick this up.

Euron

This is an incredible OT though. It also reminded me how much I enjoyed the modes in Ghosts. Honestly the multiplayer had a lot of awesome ideas, it's just that the maps were absolute shit and tied with MW3 for being the worst in the series (probably even worse because they were too fucking big).

I had a great time with the BO3 Beta and would probably have gotten it if so many other games weren't coming out this fall. Plus I'm not a fan of what Treyarch is doing with the campaign. BO2's was excellent and quite possibly the best in the series yet they threw all that away.

VinFTW

I did. Beat the SP, no interest in Halo MP. Might as well trade it in now while the value is still high. No regrets!
Well, when you have no interest in the meat and bones of the game no wonder. MP is the best in the series since 2, IMO.

If he likes MP, it won't be as easy of a decision for him.

psychotron

My wife just went to pick up my copy at GameStop. 20 minute wait is what she's being quoted because there's a huge line. This game is big.

Darkangel

I know reviews are still coming in, but I felt like throwing this together to show how all the CODs stack up:

Games with the same score are placed in order of most reviews.
61uKLgJ.jpg

Infinity Ward was really cut down in thier prime. It's weird how the Treyarch games are always improving, yet their scores hover around the mid-80s. I wonder if Neo-IW will continue with Ghosts, or head back to Modern Warfare 4.

This sure as hell isn't AW. Put in about two hours last night and this game is trippy, and has more in common with GI Joe and comic books than even the least grounded historical settings we've seen in the series. Even AW's futurism had some grounding to it and still fit the jingoistic military chatter, but this is one is all about getting into the shit, bro, and how cool it is to hear enemies scream as they die in flames. This isn't about curt "tango down" calls as you clear rooms, its about rushing through fire (realistic is going to suck) and getting your Doom on, woohooo, high five, did you see that? And I hope you like using special vision modes, because its hard to see jack without keeping those modes on at all times.

Structurally the campaign is crazy interesting though, with the HUB/spoke space and customizations, mini-horde mode and mission replayability, so I'm still looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds. Its just so damn strange ;p

Anyone able to comment on the performance for PC? I went to look at this on Steam and the user reviews are saying it's Arkham Knight 2.0...

BokehKing

Banned
Two major games in a row, they could have both got 55% metacritic scores and it wouldn't matter

Both would still sell and still make money and be fun

Hence why scores really don't matter at times

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I know reviews are still coming in, but I felt like throwing this together to show how all the CODs stack up:

61uKLgJ.jpg

Infinity Ward was really cut down in thier prime. It's weird how the Treyarch games are always improving, yet their scores hover around the mid-80s. I wonder if Neo-IW will continue with Ghosts, or head back to Modern Warfare 4.

Can't believe MW3 reviewed so well

78 for Ghosts is way, waaay too high.

kd-z

I think this may be also partially due to (what I think is) a change in how a lot of outlets/reviewers judge games. The scores seem to be more evenly spread out over the spectrum of 1 to 10 these days.

That said, I think that Infinity Ward's campaigns (Ghosts excluded) are easily the best in the series. Treyarch tries implementing new and interesting elements (like in Blops 2), but the scripting and pacing is just not as tight as in Modern Warfare.

I hope the campaign will be good
I've heard mixed reports but i only played the first level and that was pretty bad. Bad as in: too much time between dialogues (really awkward silences), bad animation, uninspired leveldesign, and the feeling that you could finish the level without doing anyhthing... It's just ...not well done. (The ending is kinda nice. I guess)

However, the beginning of level 2 is hopeful and i heard and read it gets better.

ive been playing alot of destiny and just got blops3 today. The ads seems way off why does it move slow when aiming. when im not ads im swinging around like a madman.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
For me it's in the top 3 of all time, I love it. The last two were stinkers, especially AW but BO3 is just fantastic, it's everything I wanted and so much more. The amount of work Treyarch have put into this game is just madness. I don't see how IW/SMG will come anywhere near this release as it's just so far ahead of their efforts.

sikkinixx

AW (the campaign at least) was better than MW3, WAW and BLOPS II for sure. Didn't play multiplayer too too much.

Nervous about this one. Reviews are about what I expected. I HATED BLOPS II, in fact it's the only CoD I never beat but I got it cheap so hopefully I'll be into it.

Top Bottom