• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III Review Thread

On one hand its like Treyarch wanted to give us a campaign that was a new tack on Syndicate co-op, and thats one hell of a good idea. They should be applauded for trying.

On the other hand its Treyarch, so it tries to make up in sheer numbers what it lacks in excitement or tactical depth. You have a ton of options, but its like the Assassin's Creed games where you just have a million ways to kill the same stupid enemies - there's no real depth there, even with all the customization and personalization.

And man, the writing and voice acting is seriously the worst I've experienced in a long time, outside of the recognizable actors and actresses that is. I sat there listening to Hendricks say the following in sequence and just had to smh:

Holy fuck!

Turn that shit off

What the fuck is this?

There are some good ideas here, some strong ideas, but they find life in a game that reminds me more of Overstrike than anything else, though I actually had fun with Overstrike. This is the kind of game that makes me think I'm too old for this shit.

*cue death metal music as the game spawns a dozen more boxy robo-enemies to fight*

highrider

Banned
This sure as hell isn't AW. Put in about two hours last night and this game is trippy, and has more in common with GI Joe and comic books than even the least grounded historical settings we've seen in the series. Even AW's futurism had some grounding to it and still fit the jingoistic military chatter, but this is one is all about getting into the shit, bro, and how cool it is to hear enemies scream as they die in flames. This isn't about curt "tango down" calls as you clear rooms, its about rushing through fire (realistic is going to suck) and getting your Doom on, woohooo, high five, did you see that? And I hope you like using special vision modes, because its hard to see jack without keeping those modes on at all times.

Structurally the campaign is crazy interesting though, with the HUB/spoke space and customizations, mini-horde mode and mission replayability, so I'm still looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds. Its just so damn strange ;p

I'm downloading the digital copy. I'm not usually a huge cod guy but I think the trippy nature is what attracted me to this game. I won't lie dude, that sounds perfect. I hope it's fun to play the campaign.

I'm downloading the digital copy. I'm not usually a huge cod guy but I think the trippy nature is what attracted me to this game. I won't lie dude, that sounds perfect. I hope it's fun to play the campaign.
If you want a fuckton of enemies to fight in large areas were you can customize your loadout and blow shit up with friends, it checks off all the boxes. That's usually more than enough to get me to buy in, and it did here, but I really hope this gets better when it comes to the actual moment to moment combat. Fighting big boxy robots and small drone cars is not what I look for from a COD.

ryseing

So what the Concesus on campaign? Good?

I quite like it. The comparisons to Syndicate's (the reboot shooter) campaign are spot on, but the level design isn't as tight as Syndicate's.

Not sure where "worst in the series" is coming from. Definitely play it in co-op though.

Disappointing if so. Always found the WaW timeline worth following.

There are no ties minus a couple of minor references. That was the disappointing part to me. I want to play as a Mason goddamnit.

So what the Concesus on campaign? Good?

So far, it doesn't seem to be engaging. I played up to the
Singapore mission
and the dialogue is pretty mediocre, especially for Hendricks. The female player dialogue is hit and miss at times, but I'm certain it's the same for the male character. Also at this point, there aren't any references to the old story as far as I know. I don't like how it goes from 30 to 60 in the in-game cutscenes. I never recalled Advanced Warfare having this issue. The in-game cutscenes were still smooth compared to Black Ops III. If this was your deciding factor to buy it, I'd say wait for a sale. It's not getting worth into unless you really like multiplayer and/or zombies.

OnPSX 8/10

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 has so much content like no other Call of Duty before. You get a campaign, the nightmare campaign, a zombie-mode and of course the multiplayer. Unluckily the campaign is nonsense and the new level of difficulty is only for sadists. The many problems in matchmaking aren`t helping either. They are very frustrating and one could ask how it is possible when the predecessor haven`t had such problems. But if you get into a game which runs fine, you will get so much fun! No other shooter is so easy to learn but hard to master.

Wonder when the SMG's get a nerf.

Even with grip they should have MASSIVE recoil at a distance of more than 15 meters.

Atm Vesper and VMP are laser guided bullets at range even beating assault rifles.

Top Bottom