• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III Review Thread

BokehKing

Banned
Giant Bomb said:
But now it doesn't reliably do the one thing that made the melee fun in the first place. Is it the end of the world? Nah. Some people might even like what it does to the game. I'm not one of those people. In the end, it ends up being one of the handful of things that ever-so-slightly pushes me away from this year's game.

Haha tell me this guy loves to panic knife

misho8723

Banned
In my opinion, any FPS game which has THIS shit in her campaign, can't have such high ratings.. besides the bad story OFC.. and so far the bad PC version
Cy9b.jpg

Reviews look good enough for me. Then again I don't purchase based on reviews. I had fun in the beta and so far what I have played. People complain about it ONLY hitting an 85 meta. Personally I think game reviews are coming in line with where they should be. Instead of everything 90+ to signify a good game previously when in some instances they may not have deserved it. I have played plenty of games that are mid 80s that I have had more fun with than supposed 90+, looking at you MGS.

Granted I just rolled out of bed so this is groggy me talking but feels like nitpicking over reviews so much instead of forming a general opinion on reviews and forming your own after.

I am involved in a small YouTube channel and I refuse to use a point system to review games. I like how kotaku breaks it down and that is what inspired me to do that instead. Some people really get thrown off if they don't see a number they like and that number is really subjective anyways.

QaaQer

I mean, most of the time publications will assign a review to someone who liked previous games in a franchise, or at least similar games (the platformer guy, the FPS guy etc.). So a reviewer's preferences will always be "slanted" to begin with, just the other way around. Whether you'd prefer someone who really likes a franchise or someone who's critical of it to review the next game in said franchise is a debate we've had on gaming forums for years and years, but the important thing is that everyone goes into a game with a certain bias.

Not really. For traditional written reviews, they dont really assign things to people, they give it to those who want it because reviewing games is shitty, low paid work. For anything over 20 hours, they are literally working for less than minimum wage. So when reading a review, realize that they are only going to put in 10 or 20 hours at most because that is all they are being paid for.

Btb, the most desirable games as far as reviewers go are short 2 or 3 hour indie games because they get paid the same whether the game is 2 hours or 200.

Note: this isn't bashing reviewers, simply stating facts.

QaaQer

Jeff has valid points. Initial play has me thinking its nothing more than okay. But it may grow on me.

Do your tastes line up with his? Are you a 41 y.o.dude who plays 50 or 60 console games per year?

Attitude makes a huge difference on how we experience things. I'm finding myself enjoying games more when I don't read gaf or reviews; or when I do, my only take aways are wrt whether the game works and is finished. A constant stream of negativity really hurts the fun on offer, and that's what these things are supposed to be: fun.

viHuGi

Banned
Such neat reviews, when i played the beta i knew nothing would beat this game online, Treyarch know what they are doing.

JawzPause

cackhyena

Do your tastes line up with his? Are you a 41 y.o.dude who plays 50 or 60 console games per year?

Attitude makes a huge difference on how we experience things. I'm finding myself enjoying games more when I don't read gaf or reviews; or when I do, my only take aways are wrt whether the game works and is finished. A constant stream of negativity really hurts the fun on offer, and that's what these things are supposed to be: fun.
You don't have to be in the same line of work to recognize flaws. Shying away from reviews for fear of coloring your experience sounds absurd to me. Either the game does something for you or it doesn't. Like he said, it might grow on him.

heringer

Seriously, is there any review detailing the Nightmare campaign? It's like it doesn't exist. Seems like a pretty big deal to simply ignore.

mocoworm

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/06/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-campaign-verdict

Playing Black Ops III campaign is like trying to simultaneously watch every Tom Cruise sci-fi movie ever made while being punched in the face by the universe. It is not just loud and brash, it is actively trolling the concept of nuance; it is a menacing stranger with an egg icon, leaving cap-locked insults in subtlety’s twitter feed. And that’s fine, honestly – if we hadn’t already played about a hundred Call of Duty campaigns that tried to do similar things – just with less gadgets.

Co-op is certainly a smart addition, and there is much fun to be had roaming these strange and beautifully presented tableaus of death, honour and subterfuge. But Treyarch is trapped within the confines of this billion dollar prison and its desire to add tactical depth, and narrative ingenuity, to the recipe is now continually coming up against the same barriers as the player when you attempt to run out of the sneakily limited action box: “you are leaving the mission area, you have ten seconds to return”.

Of course, Call of Duty has much more to offer – and we’ll get to that in our review. There’s the online multiplayer of course, and the zombie mode, as well as a new Nightmares offering which lets you play through the campaign missions with undead enemies and other surprises.

But the main story, which used to be the first port of call for a lot of players, now feels just part of the package. That moment in Call of Duty 4 with the mushroom cloud; the sheer controversy-baiting madness of the ‘No Russian’ scene in Modern Warfare 2; the way Black Ops segued beautifully into its zombie campaign ... those moments people actually talked about seem a long way away.

“So much chaos, so much death,” says a lead character at one point. But they don’t seem exasperated, they seem resigned. It is the sound of Call of Duty devouring itself.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why can't reviewers just say what they mean to say without fiddling around and aimlessly trying to make jokes or sound artsy?

Some have mentioned in their reviews that the campaign wasn't all that good. I am finding this hard to believe(haven't played the game yet) going by Treyarch's epic campaign efforts in BOI and BOII. What do you guys think of BOIII campaign? Are there amazing set piece moments like the ones in the past BO games or even like last year's Advanced Warfare? Advanced Warfare's SP on current gen was a blast, filled with so many memorable set piece moments(Opening sequence+Car Chase across Golden Gate Bridge+Destroying a hover tank+stopping a rocket from launching+using cool gadgets to scale buildings/destroy the wings of a plane/latch on to a plane that's about to take off+Trying to get through freezing temperatures in a beautiful icy caves in Antartica+Jumping from one moving bus to another in the epic sequence in Nigeria etc)

Vinc

GT's always had the best reviews. Brandon Jones is best in the business as a narrator, and their writers are great and thoughtful. That site is severely lacking in popularity for the quality of content they produce. Their original shows can take a while to get into because they're so filled with inside jokes and self-references, but they're fantastic to the point where stuff like The Final Bosman is worth watching from episode 1 to latest, even today.

Anyway, on topic, this is the first COD in a while that genuinely interests me this much, I'll buy it asap, I'm a bit sad I cancelled my preorder with Amazon in Canada, as I was getting 30% off :(

Tubie

Sounds like the exact reason why I enjoy Mission Impossible and other dumb action movies. Over the top stunts, explosions, fight scenes, etc. etc. If that's how the campaign is, sounds like it's exactly what would be expected from modern COD campaign.

Yea basically.

I'm enjoying it a lot because this is what I expected.

mcrommert

Banned
Hmm other than gameinformer, big publications scores are quite low. I was thinking about picking this up if it was stellar, but with halo 5 and battlefront taking all my time i don't think i will

Karak

No word on the second campaign? The one with the same missions but with zombies in it? How is that one?

I talked about it in my review. Its fantastic the voiceovers are well done, the levels are mixed up in order and the enemy mix makes the gameplay feel fresh including changes to how some weapons are collected. Additionally the way its delivered, past/present, stands out from the original title. Its always strengthed by playing the original campaign first so you can see all the little tweaks they did. Even to the music and such.

Top Bottom