• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III Review Thread

I think I'll pass on blops3. Reading eurogamers review of the campaign and giant bombs review as well has put me off this game. I liked blops but disliked 2 as it was extremely boring. To this day, blops 2's campaign is the only COD campaign I haven't finished. It sounds like this campaign is just trash.

I'm kinda tired of this future stuff and I'm craving a return to reality. I'm looking forward to what infinity ward will do. Hopefully they reboot the modern warfare franchise or take us back in history. I've had my fill of future warfare for a lifetime.

I don't ever trust most of these reviews. Halo 5 is more a 7.5 than a 8.5. Reviewers always go along with popularity and high profile games. Easily giving them higher scores than they deserve. Halo was an unfinished product and if this game is atleast competent and complete. I would hope it is higher than the same scores they give lesser games. If the single player is short repetitive like bf was, I hope they review it more harshly.

By the way. How many actual maps does this game have? Are there zombie specific maps as well.

Reading some of the comments, doesnt seem this will be a mw or mw2 campaign which I.enjoyed. I don't like cod mp and this one looks even worse.

Typically just play campaign or.zombies in these games.

Who can save male now lol

I don't ever trust most of these reviews. Halo 5 is more a 7.5 than a 8.5. Reviewers always go along with popularity and high profile games. Easily giving them higher scores than they deserve. Halo was an unfinished product and if this game is atleast competent and complete. I would hope it is higher than the same scores they give lesser games. If the single player is short repetitive like bf was, I hope they review it more harshly.

By the way. How many actual maps does this game have? Are there zombie specific maps as well.
13 mp maps if I remember correctly. I agree with your comment on the score. My observation so far is that blops 3's high scores are due to the amount of content offered.

Loxley

For context, Jeff gave Advanced Warfare his personal GOTY last year.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-s-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5133/

The funny thing about Jeff's Advanced Warfare review is that he never once actually mentions the Exo-Zombies mode, like it didn't exist (*edit - because it didn't when he wrote the review, derp.). Not even so much as an, "Oh yeah, AW has one of those dumb zombies modes if you're the kind of asshole who likes that sort of thing". Which probably is a better indication than anything of just how little of a shit he actually gives about the zombies stuff.

Kalentan

The funny thing about Jeff's Advanced Warfare review is that he never once actually mentions the Exo-Zombies mode, like it didn't exist. Not even so much as an, "Oh yeah, AW has one of those dumb zombies modes if you're the kind of asshole who likes that sort of thing". Which probably is a better indication than anything of just how little of a shit he actually gives about the zombies stuff.

Well to be fair... Exo-Zombies didn't come till the first DLC pack.

nib95

Banned
So is the SP campaign really the longest of any COD game in history? The murmurs pre-release were that it could be up to 14-15 hours long. I highly doubt that'll be the case, but I'd be pleased with anything longer than past COD's, which tend to be around the 6-7 hour mark.

So is the SP campaign really the longest of any COD game in history? The murmurs pre-release were that it could be up to 14-15 hours long. I highly doubt that'll be the case, but I'd be pleased with anything longer than past COD's, which tend to be around the 6-7 hour mark.
Nope according to reviews, it's like 6-7 hours.

They are never 14 to 15. They can't do their pre rendered cut scenes for such a long game lol.

You can't believe what developers say anymore. In the 90s I think you could. Today, they just flat out lie. Always ignore that shot. It's straight marketing and lies. Just look at what ms does with their official press release on sales numbers. It's best to get truth from gamers before you really know what's up

Looks like there is a (don't give our game below a 7 or we will ban you from early copys of our game) going on here. Let's see if any big sites go below 7...

Karak

12 or 13 maps. The quickest being 30 minutes the longest being almost an hour.
Or longer depending on the difficulty and if your coop or not. But unless its on the easist level possible I don't see someone getting in under 7 or 8 hours. Especially how the story is told. More like 10-13. I personally logged around 12

nib95

Banned
Nope according to reviews, it's like 6-7 hours.

Well that's a shame.

They are never 14 to 15. They can't do their pre rendered cut scenes for such a long game lol.

Looks like there is a (don't give our game below a 7 or we will ban you from early copys of our game) going on here. Let's see if any big sites go below 7...

Ironically it's some of the bigger sites that have given it the lowest scores lol.

12 or 13 maps. The quickest being 30 minutes the longest being almost an hour.
Or longer depending on the difficulty and if your coop or not. But unless its on the easist level possible I don't see someone getting in under 7 or 8 hours. Especially how the story is told. More like 10-13. I personally logged around 12

I'll settle for 7-8. That's still on the longer end for a COD game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was trying to strafe like AW and Halo 5. lol The abilities sorta stack, but I don't mind it. Not everything should feel the same.

I don't mind it that they've used wall run, EXO bursts, and so forth. I am not completely against Jeff's review because it's the opposite of how I feel. I'm enjoying what I'm playing and I enjoyed the beta.

Using a hand gun instead of going all out is fun. I feel like the precision is tighter than before.

Edit: it's so hard expressing how I feel when we have next week coming up. Good Lord it's like I want to enjoy every bit of this and save myself for next week.

Karak

Well that's a shame.

Ironically it's some of the bigger sites that have given it the lowest scores lol.

I felt it was. 2 levels clipped my wings as a player. I just got assaulted and dribbled around the levels like my body was made of handles. That added at least 45 minutes. But I felt it was longer. On the other hand i thought the story was HORRID. So a longer story isn't better here lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just wish campaigns were more than shooting galleries. Engaging actual enemies just isn't that fun. With all the future tech, this would have been a great game to introduce more complex enemies. Something more in line with Halo than the pop-up galleries if CoD's past.

Which I feel is fair. I can handle a short campaign if.it's decent and the other modes are fleshed out and fun.
I don't think it's fair at all. Marks should not be given just for the amount of content. From the beta, there is nothing remotely innovative in the multiplayer to put it in a 9 range. The campaign is also apparently not great so again not in the 9 range. Zombies must be fantastic then because I can't comprehend how the game is getting a 9. Today's press just give out 9s like it's nothing. There are very few games released today that deserve anything more than a 7.5.

Karak

I just wish campaigns were more than shooting galleries. Engaging actual enemies just isn't that fun. With all the future tech, this would have been a great game to introduce more complex enemies. Something more in line with Halo than the pop-up galleries if CoD's past.

Your wish is granted!

Well that's a shame.

It was the last bf that had one of the most short and worse campaigns I can remember. Halo 4 was equally bad but not as short.

At this rate I'm looking more forward to uc 4 mp. Strangely enough, uncharted was the most classic halo like in map design. Blows my damn mind..

nib95

Banned
I felt it was. 2 levels clipped my wings as a player. I just got assaulted and dribbled around the levels like my body was made of handles. That added at least 45 minutes. But I felt it was longer. On the other hand i thought the story was HORRID. So a longer story isn't better here lol.

Ahh fair enough. I appreciate your responses, and as I said in the other thread, I enjoyed your video review.

This one if anyone else is interested.

AngryCentaurGaming | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

I don't think it's fair at all. Marks should not be given just for the amount of content. From the beta, there is nothing remotely innovative in the multiplayer to put it in a 9 range. The campaign is also apparently not great so again not in the 9 range. Zombies must be fantastic then because I can't comprehend how the game is getting a 9. Today's press just give out 9s like it's nothing. There are very few games released today that deserve anything more than a 7.5.
No, I mean if the content is solid. Solid campaign but a bit short. If the zombie mode is of quality to.make up for a solid but short campaign I think it's ok to give a score to reflect that. If the campaign is bad and the other content is great.. Your score should reflect the whole package the best you can.

Imo bf was a 6.5 cause the SP was that bad

Halo 4 is under 7 also be cause the campaign was half good and mp was under half baked.

If cod had a descent campaign and a more baked zombie and mp mode that should go over 7

If.the campaign is boring and bad but everything else is just decent then under 7 easily.

Karak

Is that really true? Hmm

Ya. I was surprised at some of the...hmmm. I don't know what to call them. They are not bosses, but for example there are some guys that wear armor that makes missiles miss. LOL. That was surprising watching the missile fly into the ceiling., and some of the massive walker robots require 2 weapon types to take down which is hard on the higher difficulties as they are never alone. They release drones as well as robotic bros to kick your butt. All of which have both a normal straff and a jet assisted one. And I did test them for manuvering for the review.
They do flank and double flank they do appear to do some kind of rough pincer, and when your reloading they will rush you.

Polygon said:
The story also just isn't very interesting. Black Ops 3 quickly flails at ideas of AI consciousness and the "evils" of interconnectedness, and it's peppered with predictable "twists." There are scenes that I'm sure were meant to be edgy and morally gray; instead, it's just a lot of hyper-earnest swearing and glaring. It was enough to make me miss the number station-tinged paranoia and conspiracy theories that the series started with.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15958-1381329967-14.gif

So another COD campaign I'll skip out on. (not judging in this alone of course)
I've never found them interesting gameplay or story wise honestly.

Thank god for that multiplayer.

antone

Banned
I think I'll pass on blops3. Reading eurogamers review of the campaign and giant bombs review as well has put me off this game. I liked blops but disliked 2 as it was extremely boring. To this day, blops 2's campaign is the only COD campaign I haven't finished. It sounds like this campaign is just trash.

I'm kinda tired of this future stuff and I'm craving a return to reality. I'm looking forward to what infinity ward will do. Hopefully they reboot the modern warfare franchise or take us back in history. I've had my fill of future warfare for a lifetime.

For Giant Bomb. Jeff said on the live stream that he does not like Zombie modes at all. And don't understand why other people like it.

Hugstable

Banned
nice reviews seem pretty decent, will probably pick this up for the single player again like I did last year, really enjoyed Advanced Warfate

For context, Jeff gave Advanced Warfare his personal GOTY last year.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-s-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5133/

Jeff also doesn't like the standout reason people buy Black Ops. Zombies. As he states in the review.

Jeff Gerstmann said:
The standard zombies mode is not for me. It never has been. From my time with it, it seems about as well-made as the rest of the game, but I'm simply not looking for that type of survival mode in a Call of Duty game

boinx

I'm still in the dark about one detail, can anyone confirm if this has support for 4 player splitscreen on ps4?

Gerstmann and Gies both gloss over Zombie mode, a huge piece of content in this game, with one sentence saying how they've never really liked zombies mode so.... skip?

That seems really fucking bizarre to me.

nib95

Banned
People buy Black Ops for zombies? Yeesh

I doubt they buy it solely for that, but it's certainly a fun and noteworthy addition. The zombie mode in this game looks cool. A mini story, different characters, an entirely different old school historic setting etc.

I mean, Jeff Goldblum dude.

call-of-duty-jeff-goldblum.jpg

Karak

Gerstmann and Gies both gloss over Zombie mode, a huge piece of content in this game, with one sentence saying how they've never really liked zombies mode so.... skip?

That is bizzare with the largest focus on characterization and gameplay changes from past titles, it seems like if they played it they would mention it...as some bits bearing mentioning sort of regardless.

I'm still in the dark about one detail, can anyone confirm if this has support for 4 player splitscreen on ps4?

In some modes but not in others.

The breakdown according to their peeps and story mode is 2 player split

Dan Bunting has confirmed that there will be four player split-screen in Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 offline for players to play Zombies and Multiplayer.

In addition, for those that want to play online in those modes, there’s a max limit of 2 player split-screen local.

Jblanks

Yea not sure if those guys are the best people to review considering they know beforehand they don't like one of the main game modes at all.

Justinh

I think the only time something like this even came up is when Randy Pitchford threw a hissy fit because of Duke Nukem Forever reviews, but wised up quickly afterwards.

I really don't think this happens...

Alienous

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15958-1381329967-14.gif

So another COD campaign I'll skip out on. (not judging in this alone of course)
I've never found them interesting gameplay or story wise honestly.

Thank god for that multiplayer.

I don't know about skipping out on it for that reason. I'm having fun so far, not because the story is entertaining, but because the gameplay and CO-OP is quite good.

Pat_DC

Yea not sure if those guys are the best people to review considering they know beforehand they don't like one of the main game modes at all.

I don't think them not liking zombies is bad or that they shouldn't have reviewed the game. For the crowd that don't enjoy Zombies as much as spec ops etc their reviews probably serve as a good indicator as to how they might feel about the game. Good to get a broad range of views to try and find a point of view that fits yours.

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself how it stands up. I enjoyed Blops 1 but loved Blops2 so if that has a bit of that vibe I'll be happy.

Falchion

Pretty good reviews and I'm having a blast so far. We'll see if it's better than Advanced Warfare after a while.

nib95

Banned
I don't think them not liking zombies is bad or that they shouldn't have reviewed the game. For the crowd that don't enjoy Zombies as much as spec ops etc their reviews probably serve as a good indicator as to how they might feel about the game. Good to get a broad range of views to try and find a point of view that fits yours.

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself how it stands up. I enjoyed Blops 1 but loved Blops2 so if that has a bit of that vibe I'll be happy.

I don't think it matters whether they like it or not, but they should at least cover it in a bit more depth seeing as how it's a major feature of the game. To be fair, Jeff does, Gies doesn't, but that's Polygon for you lol.

Reading some of the comments, doesnt seem this will be a mw or mw2 campaign which I.enjoyed. I don't like cod mp and this one looks even worse.

Typically just play campaign or.zombies in these games.

Who can save male now lol

You need to find some way to mention Halo huh.

I don't think it matters whether they like it or not, but they should at least cover it in a bit more depth seeing as how it's a major feature of the game. Tbh,
It's a little funny though. It's like reviewing madden every year. Not much changes in taxes games basic design...

I mean like people are saying why not open up the campaign. More in depth. Maybe more large cities with a bit of deus ex Have places you need to clear to set up base. Then go on a mission to take out a high value target. People to walk around and talk to. Just much more in depth and detailed.

Instead it's just what it is and even year.

Top Bottom