• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare PC performance thread

FWIW we don't autoconfigure cached shadows on for the 970, and the desc text explicitly describes it as a heavy consumer of video memory.

LostDonkey

These constant stutters down to 53fps from 60 really are ruining the game for me.

I7 6700k OC 4.6ghz
16gb DDR4 3000mhz
1070 G1

Running at 1440p with optimal video settings.

Cannot run in fullscreen it's horrendous. Have to play borderless windowed and still stuttering like I described.

Ugh.

jhaulass

Neo Member
Every time I start the campaign, it's fine - perfect 60fps for about 20 minutes, then all of a sudden my framerate tanks to like 20fps, and never recovers. I have to restart the game to get it back. No clue what could be causing that.

I'm having this exact problem, game plays fine for 20 minutes or so at 80-100fps then suddenly drops to 25-35fps and never recovers.

Playing on a 6700k, 16gb ram and a 980ti.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Anybody have an idea why the game won't let me select a HZ rate above 29.97hz on my 4k TV?

No matter what desktop resolution I set, the game defaults to 3840x2160 30p on my TV??

QA couldn't reproduce this unless they were set to windowed mode--in fullscreen they were able to get 60Hz without issue. Is that the behavior you're seeing?

So what did the new update do? Apparently the recommended settings have changed.

Edit: the options menu has changed to a list format for each setting, instead of just blindly moving left and right. Good!

Edit 2: Field of View can be turned all the way down to 70 now. If tunnel-vision is your thing.

Game just crashed for the first time. It did minimise itself a couple times as well. Never did this before the update.

I'm playing the campaign.

Game just crashed for the first time. It did minimise itself a couple times as well. Never did this before the update.

I'm playing the campaign.

Can you post/PM your dxdiag.txt or a basic system rundown? We've seen reports that NVIDIA deployed an automatic SLI profile in the latest driver that is janking things up, but otherwise I'm not aware of any issues.

Curious what experiences people have with the raw mouse input options we added also.

(That said I am off the project now so my visibility into fixing things going forward is lower than it was.)

LostDonkey

QA couldn't reproduce this unless they were set to windowed mode--in fullscreen they were able to get 60Hz without issue. Is that the behavior you're seeing?

All is good since the update.

Game runs splendid now. Cutscenes are still rather buggy though. They've gone from 30 to 60 now, which is great, but the audio is out of sync and crackling.

nowarning

I'm getting the stutter too, before and after the update. I've put up with it because I think the game is pretty fun but it's starting to really annoy me now. I've tried all sorts but I can't seem to stop it happening, any ideas? Really making me want to put this game down now.

i7 4770k @ 3.7 GHZ
16GB RAM
GTX 1080 @ 1080p 144hz
SSD
Win 10 anniv

ramshot

Quite a messy experience for me so far.

-Had a couple of crashes during one session of play
-Loading screens that take forever. Sometimes alt-tabbing out and back in seems to help?
-There is a pretty much constant stutter going on. Frametimes are all over the place.
-There's constant HDD activity, like the game was streaming data nonstop, even when I'm not moving. I am not sure if this is related to the stuttering or not.

It's a bloody shame, as the game looks absolutely glorious. I love COD SP campaigns and I'm sure I'd enjoy this one as well, but the performance is not good enough. It's especially jarring since I finished up TF2 just before starting COD, and that game ran perfectly, even if it wasn't quite as much a looker. Guess I'm waiting for a patch.

6700k @ 4.6
GTX1080 @ 2050/5300
16 gigs DDR4/2666
Win10
gsynced 1440p

I'm getting the stutter too, before and after the update. I've put up with it because I think the game is pretty fun but it's starting to really annoy me now. I've tried all sorts but I can't seem to stop it happening, any ideas? Really making me want to put this game down now.

This is on the autoconfigure settings? If you can send your config_mp.cfg and preferably a dxdiag.txt via PM I'll have someone look into it. Generally stutter is caused by a few things:

- oversubscription of video memory, usually from enabling cached shadows or ultra textures on cards that can't handle them
- frequent I/O in the background causing streaming to block (can track this in "Resource Monitor" in Windows)
- background shader compilation in the driver (due to disk cache emptying or being invalidated, shouldn't occur on back to back runs)

This is on the autoconfigure settings? If you can send your config_mp.cfg and preferably a dxdiag.txt via PM I'll have someone look into it. Generally stutter is caused by a few things:

- oversubscription of video memory, usually from enabling cached shadows or ultra textures on cards that can't handle them
- frequent I/O in the background causing streaming to block (can track this in "Resource Monitor" in Windows)
- background shader compilation in the driver (due to disk cache emptying or being invalidated, shouldn't occur on back to back runs)

I am curious. In Blops3 there was the option to enable motion blur at all times, but in this game it seems to only turn on for certain sections. Any way that it could be forced at all times if the user so desires?

Looks like we got a PC performance thread after all.

Anybody else noticing stuttery/chopping cutscenes? Setting the game to Fullscreen Borderless helps it a bit, but Fullscreen makes the cutscenes into an unwatchable mess. The game itself has no problems holding a locked 60 fps in 4K on my 1080 and I haven't noticed any graphical glitches or crashes, so the problems with cutscenes seem rather odd.

robinsxe

anyone experience stutter during cutscenes in the campaign? the sound and visuals gets out of sync for me and it lags like hell. dunno what to do about it

anyone experience stutter during cutscenes in the campaign? the sound and visuals gets out of sync for me and it lags like hell. dunno what to do about it

It happened to me a couple of times, I have no idea why. Thankfully performance in-game is stutter-free so far.

5olid_5nake

For me after the latest patch everything runs perfectly, except when I enter the main deck in the ship it's missing sound effect of opening the door and footsteps.

Really weird.

MaLDo

Looks like we got a PC performance thread after all.

Anybody else noticing stuttery/chopping cutscenes? Setting the game to Fullscreen Borderless helps it a bit, but Fullscreen makes the cutscenes into an unwatchable mess. The game itself has no problems holding a locked 60 fps in 4K on my 1080 and I haven't noticed any graphical glitches or crashes, so the problems with cutscenes seem rather odd.

Try this if you have nvidia gpu

- Open the game profile in nvidia inspector
- Set "vertical sync" as "Use the 3D application setting"
- Set "framerate limiter" as "60 fps ( Frame Rate Limiter v2 )"
- Set "maximum pre-rendered frames" as "1"
- Run the game and set vsync to ON

I am curious. In Blops3 there was the option to enable motion blur at all times, but in this game it seems to only turn on for certain sections. Any way that it could be forced at all times if the user so desires?

Hm, to force on always? There's a dvar for it but I don't remember offhand how design controls it otherwise--probably vision set. I'll take a look when I'm next in the office (on vacation finally). SMAA T2X Filmic doesn't achieve a largely similar effect for you?

The cutscene stutter is because we're doing the level transition behind that and the transition involves releasing tens of thousands of resources from the level we're unloading. The driver queues these to a certain point, to amortize across frames, or reuse the resources. But once the queue fills, the driver needs to flush it, which causes these stalls. We've tried a few different mitigation strategies for this but I'm not sure which are in which patches at this point. There's some interaction with specific driver revisions, etc., so there's been a bit of back and forth as we sort it across all machine specs.

MaLDo

The cutscene stutter is because we're doing the level transition behind that and the transition involves releasing tens of thousands of resources from the level we're unloading. The driver queues these to a certain point, to amortize across frames, or reuse the resources. But once the queue fills, the driver needs to flush it, which causes these stalls. We've tried a few different mitigation strategies for this but I'm not sure which are in which patches at this point. There's some interaction with specific driver revisions, etc., so there's been a bit of back and forth as we sort it across all machine specs.

I understand the explanation, but I have managed to reproduce the problem and the solution simply by changing the vsync configuration in the driver with those steps

Without editing the game profile, cinematics stutter. Tested with first intro and next one after first level, three times.

Edit profile -> perfect smooth cinematics.

Changed profile again to default values -> cinematics stutter.

I understand the explanation, but I have managed to reproduce the problem and the solution simply by changing the vsync configuration in the driver with those steps

Sure, this isn't too surprising, as many times the vsync/presentation interval is used as an opportunity for DX to do garbage collection, which I imagine drivers also take advantage of. I think what you've done with the settings you've picked is ensure the client thread will stall more than normal (e.g. by running at a lower frame rate and not queuing frames), leaving dead time for the DX runtime and driver to process the resource lifetime bits.

Hey guys, finally got around to installing this game. I immediately experienced the cutscene stutter once I started the multiplayer mode but I think going fullscreen borderless fixed it because I started the campaign and the opening cutscene seemed fine. Hope it holds up.

The main issue I'm encountering is that I've been unable to get into a single multiplayer game in over 40 minutes. Takes ages to find a lobby and when it does actually begin counting down it starts loading and then I suddenly get an error about being unable to establish a secure connection with the host. Any idea why this could be happening? I've never encountered this before in any multiplayer game (including Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3).

Pjsprojects

Anyone have problems teaming up with peeps from friends list?

Solo I can match make fine and so can my friends but its very rare to team up on either main game or zombies.

Been like this since day one.To note the Steam overlay also not working.

Patrick S.

Banned
Got a physical copy as a present yesterday (had to choose between this and Quantum Break) but didn't get to play because installing from the discs and then downloading the Modern Warfare Remaster took five hours or so.

Launched it today and was immediately greated by sound and image stuttering because the game started in 24 hz mode. WTF? Never seen another game doing this. Changed to one of the two 1080p 59.4 Hz (why not 60?) modes selectable.

Game ran nicely, but then the cutscenes were stuttering really really awfully. Disabled vsync and changed to borderless fullscreen to see if that would fix it, hit resume game, game crashed to desktop.

Started the game again, but didn't check if the borderless option had stuck, and the performance was worse, definitely not locked 60 fps.

My PC is a 4690k @ 4.2, GTX 1070, 16 gb DDR 1600, so it should run this like butter at 1080p.

I'm in no mood for dealing with this crap. I just want to sit down and play. If it were a digital purchase from Steam I'd refund it right now.

Really regret not getting a copy of Quantum Break for my Xbox instead :(

Patrick S.

Banned
Followup to my previous post;

I did this

And performance is fine now, locked 60 fps with max settings, cutscenes work fine.

Happy now.

It's currently downloading a 1,1 gb patch.

Dave sits down with the PC version of Call of Duty Infinite Warfare. We had some issues getting decent performance from BLOPs 3, but this is a lot, lot better - especially for AMD users.

I just put this in my annual self-review that I filed earlier today :p.

Gave this a go for the free weekend, quite fun, much prefer playing this on PC, but like Black Ops 3, MP just seem's to have odd stuttering here and there, seemingly randomly. Like, the games running at bonkers FPS, but I can be running down a hall way and a stutter/hitch just happens, for seemingly no reason. Id like to think it isn't my hardware -

2500K (No OC)
16GB DDR3
AMD RX 480 8GB

Game running at everything max except for the shadow cache stuff set to off. It's not a major problem, but getting into a shootout just for it to hitch at the wrong second and get me killed triggers a little rage.

Gave this a go for the free weekend, quite fun, much prefer playing this on PC, but like Black Ops 3, MP just seem's to have odd stuttering here and there, seemingly randomly. Like, the games running at bonkers FPS, but I can be running down a hall way and a stutter/hitch just happens, for seemingly no reason. Id like to think it isn't my hardware -

Hard to diagnose without access to the system itself. Generally this is due to two things--shader compilation/finalization causing stalls, or vidmm paging out video memory.

The former is something our precaching attempts to resolve as much as possible--did you let this process complete? It should detect driver version changes, have you upgraded drivers recently, and did it re-run the precache?

The second you can ameliorate by modulating the texture detail, but it can also be dependent on what else is happening on the system. For instance if you're browsing in the background during lobbies, etc., that can cause background process consumption of video memory, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I did notice on first launch the shader optimization thing, quite neat having that there to get it out of the way (instead of the other games I think where it does it every map launch), I let this run through completely. No driver changes since then (the only thing I have changed, new monitor with freesync, I re-ran a full shader optimization again after).

I tend to keep everything unnecessary off while gaming, things like chrome, AMD relive and as far as quitting uPlay/Origin etc, and I'm not one for any overlays etc (other than Steam) while I play (that includes turning off the Xbox App recording with Win 10). Not into overclocking either, so motherboard settings are stock too (guess its possible I need to turn something on in there ?).

Sadly wont be able to troubleshoot further as the free trial ends in an hour, but thanks for your help and technical insight anyway. The graphics in this game are crazy good, and for some reason I really like that misty plastic looking shell case one of the shotguns has.

Sadly wont be able to troubleshoot further as the free trial ends in an hour, but thanks for your help and technical insight anyway.

If you have the inclination, drop me a dxdiag.txt via PM with your system specs and I'll file a JIRA internally to try to reproduce.

The graphics in this game are crazy good, and for some reason I really like that misty plastic looking shell case one of the shotguns has.

Thanks, I will let the lead render programmer know in a few hours when I see him at GDC.

xpsycho87x

Neo Member
I got a problem with vsync in this game. With a GTX 970 and i7 2600k I can get steady 91fps in MP, but I can't stand tearing and I also prefer the smoothness of vsynced 60fps.
But when I enable vsync in this game, there are some odd stutters to 59fps, and sometimes fps go even lower to 57-58 in some areas when I would get 91fps. I tried in game vsync and nvidia panel vsync, same problem, and I also use a fps cap to 60 with RTSS to reduce vsync input lag. Anyone got a solution?

Neizel

I got a problem with vsync in this game. With a GTX 970 and i7 2600k I can get steady 91fps in MP, but I can't stand tearing and I also prefer the smoothness of vsynced 60fps.
But when I enable vsync in this game, there are some odd stutters to 59fps, and sometimes fps go even lower to 57-58 in some areas when I would get 91fps. I tried in game vsync and nvidia panel vsync, same problem, and I also use a fps cap to 60 with RTSS to reduce vsync input lag. Anyone got a solution?

It's the nature of vsync.

This could be some odd side effects of our latency minimization causing us to be too aggressive and miss a sync. If you send me a PM with your dxdiag and a FRAPS frame time log I'll file a JIRA internally and see if we can repro.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the free weekend ATM and it's not great, 91fps cap, no 144Hz option (only showing up to 120Hz for me?) and I'm getting some frame rate drops. It just feels a bit sluggish I dunno. I really hate what they've done to CoD, it used to be my favourite series by far but this futuristic shit is just no bueno. It's crazy that only Treyarch make good PC ports now, with proper server support, higher frame rate caps etc.

I'm playing the free weekend ATM and it's not great, 91fps cap, no 144Hz option (only showing up to 120Hz for me?) and I'm getting some frame rate drops. It just feels a bit sluggish I dunno. I really hate what they've done to CoD, it used to be my favourite series by far but this futuristic shit is just no bueno. It's crazy that only Treyarch make good PC ports now, with proper server support, higher frame rate caps etc.

Reading about the port on pc gaming wik indicates a VERY STRANGE 91 fps cap in multiplayer (quake 3 roots showing there?!) and an equally strange 125fps cap in singleplayer (fyi, these are basically the default maxes the numerous quake engines games had for a while, totally strange!). Both of those do not line up with common refresh rates... so you basically need a Gsync or Freesync monitor to enjoy HFR. That seems like a massive oversight to me.

It's crazy that only Treyarch make good PC ports now, with proper server support, higher frame rate caps etc.

Eh, Black Ops III had some serious issues as well and was not good by modern PC standards. Decent at best. I also had more problems with network lag in that game than any other Call of Duty.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, Black Ops III had some serious issues as well and was not good by modern PC standards. Decent at best. I also had more problems with network lag in that game than any other Call of Duty.

For me BO3 ran considerably better than this, plus it was just a better game. Everyone just jumps around flying in the air lol, it's not the CoD I remember and loved.

shanafan

Thanks so much for figuring this out! I was replaying it yesterday and the FPS drops were driving me nuts, especially after having such excellent performance near launch.

Rolled back the Geforce driver to the June 9th one and it's smooth sailing again now :)

No problem. I thought maybe it was an issue on my computer, or a port forwarding issue.. etc

Top Bottom