• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Wafare PS4-only two-versus-two open alpha weekend set for August 23 to 25

Mista

Banned

Publisher Activision and developer Infinity Ward will host a two-versus-two open alpha weekend for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare exclusively on PlayStation 4 from August 23 to 25, the companies announced during the Gamescom 2019 Opening Night Live show. A PlayStation Plus subscription will not be required.

Here is an overview of the alpha, via the PlayStation Blog:
No need to wait until Call of Duty: Modern Warfare launches this fall to try the intense new Gunfight Mode. PlayStation 4 users can deploy into a free Alpha for the two-versus-two mode from August 23 to 25. Anyone with a PS4 and an internet connection can access the Alpha and play (no PS Plus membership required). The Alpha includes five close-quarters maps, including two never-before-played locales: Docks and Speedball.

Prepare yourself with a Gunfight Mode overview and tips. We competed in several heated matches during a recent Modern Warfare hands-on event and walked away with helpful tactics.

Gunfight Mode Overview

Unlike Modern Warfare’s core Multiplayer experience–which is all about insanely deep weapon customization–Gunfight Mode is about adapting to unpredictable loadouts in intimate two-versus-two maps. It’s a refreshing, intense contrast that enriches the overall package.

The goal is simple: First team to win five rounds secures victory. The catch is each team begins a given round with a “random” weapon loadout. Infinity Ward has curated a wide range of loadouts, from pistol and rocket launcher combos to scoped shotguns. You never know what you’re going to get, so quick thinking and fast reflexes are rewarded. The opposing team starts with the same loadout, which makes predicting enemy strategies crucial.

Experienced Call of Duty players will pick up the nuances of combat quickly. Even so, here are some tips to get you started:

• Study Your Loadout – Your primary weapon is obvious, but look deeper to your sidearm, grenade, and gear. Sometimes your pistol will offer better range that the shotgun you spawned with. Don’t mistake your smoke grenade for a flash bang in the heat of the moment. Mind the details!
  • Listen CarefullyModern Warfare’s multiplayer removes the mini–map by default. Keep your ears peeled for the crunch of enemy footsteps and other positional cues. Keep your head on a swivel. Headphones make a big difference, too.
  • Pulling Overtime – An Overtime Flag appears if opposing players are still standing after 40 seconds. First team to secure the central flag wins the round.
  • Be Unpredictable – Both teams start with sniper rifles and pistols? Take advantage of your enemies’ tunnel vision by storming the map, chucking a grenade, and brandishing that sidearm. Wildcard strategies make you harder to predict.
  • Move Together – Generally goes without saying, but teams that move together live longer. This forces your enemies to think a second longer before engaging. Also, if you die via a surprise attack, your surviving ally has a chance to avenge your death and with the round.
  • Embrace Discovery – Gunfight Mode is a brilliant way to get trigger time with a diverse set of weapons. Who knows – maybe the random loadouts will lead you to fall in love with a new approach to combat to take into Team Deathmatch and other Multiplayer modes.
Play the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Gunfight mode Alpha on PS4 from August 23 to 25, exclusively on PS4.
Gematsu

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Call of Duty has always had close quarters maps (Shipment, Killhouse etc.) this reminds me of the 3v3 team tactical mode from COD4 but with gun-game elements.

Codes 208

Ive never been a fan of competitive cod (2v2, SaD) soooo i think ill wait for the more open beta with (hopefully) a larger playlist.

If you pre-order, you can get the 2 days early access MP Beta from Thursday September 19th to Friday 20th September. If not, it will be open for everyone on Xbox anyway from Saturday 21st to Monday 23rd September.

Whoa, goddamn the whole month wait for the beta 😭..while PS4 broskis rockin this joint in the matter of days😔

Justin9mm

Whoa, goddamn the whole month wait for the beta 😭..while PS4 broskis rockin this joint in the matter of days😔
It's only the 2v2 Gun fight mode this weekend which I think is just 2 smaller maps.. It is the only thing we can play and there is only so much 2v2 you can play. I think it will be exciting to experience first hand but will get old/boring quick after a little while.

I have an X and Pro but really keen to see how much better the X version will be. I have pre-ordered both lol

It's only the 2v2 Gun fight mode this weekend which I think is just 2 smaller maps.. It is the only thing we can play and there is only so much 2v2 you can play. I think it will be exciting to experience first hand but will get old/boring quick after a little while.

I have an X and Pro but really keen to see how much better the X version will be. I have pre-ordered both lol

5x 2v2 maps available this weekend - Stack, King, Docks, Speedball and Pine.

logicslayer

I have all 4 major platforms so I will still get to play. Just not on my preferred platform. This platform exclusivity bullshit is the last little annoyance I have with Call of Duty. Yes, you can bitch about the micro-transactions, but those aren't going anywhere anytime soon. All you can do is avoid them (lol), or learn to live with them.

Justin9mm

I'll try it out. Honestly I didn't see myself playing this game mode after the reveal tho. Not my type of Game Mode
I'd say that's why they are giving us this game mode only first, to push it and sell it to us. They know there will be a lot of people that probably wouldn't try it otherwise. I'm the same as you but I kinda like the idea of an automatic identical loadout to keep the playing field even.. I think it will be a lot of short lived fun. I can't see myself playing this much or at all once the game is released but I'll probably play the shit out of it this weekend and that's my time with that mode done.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Will be playing this bad boy this weekend on my Pro, can't wait. I was buying it on my PS anyway and not my Xbox so it works out.

Celcius

°Temp. member
maybe I should have got a ps4 last weekend when they were on sale
Oh well, hopefully it lives up to the hype

decisions

How can I join? Need pre-order?

Just have a PS4 and internet connection. This beta is open to everyone and does not even require PS+. The more expansive one in September is accessed via pre-order.

Stoked to play this. IW is overall my favorite COD developer (only had one miss with Ghosts) and I loved Infinite Warfare, this looks like it could be their best work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom