• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

TurboLibre

Member
Jun 29, 2008
6,017
0
775
I had terrible lag so I exited the game. When I returned to the lobby, the game froze so I had to do a hard shutdown. When I turned on the console again it told me I shut it off incorrectly (I flipped the back switch) and for some reason I can't log back into the PSN. Anybody know what's going on?

Edit: Never mind, it strangely fixed itself.
 

OldJadedGamer

Banned
Feb 28, 2006
18,281
0
0
CVG
slunk2zero said:
How do people get so good at this game? It sickens and frustrates the hell out of me sometimes.

Most people were practicing for 2 years on COD4, with MW2 just gotta learn the new perks and the map layout.
 

Enosh

Member
Jun 12, 2009
8,542
109
855
Slovenia


kinda...
 

Aspiring

Member
Jun 15, 2009
2,197
2
875
35
Sydney, Australia
So i realised that im not actually too bad at online. I actually had a few games where i was 4 bars and i was killing it. 16-20 kills per game. Only 8 deaths or so. Its just the lag. I am sick to death of shooting the shit out of someone, only to get killed, and when i watch the killcam, realise that i had not even shot one bullet yet. What sort of matchmaking do IW use? Also why the fuck is their no matchmaking for Spec Ops on PS3?
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
Aspiring said:
So i realised that im not actually too bad at online. I actually had a few games where i was 4 bars and i was killing it. 16-20 kills per game. Only 8 deaths or so. Its just the lag. I am sick to death of shooting the shit out of someone, only to get killed, and when i watch the killcam, realise that i had not even shot one bullet yet. What sort of matchmaking do IW use? Also why the fuck is their no matchmaking for Spec Ops on PS3?

no matchmaking for specops on 360 either

yes, it's lame
 

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,304
5,159
2,110
HooCares said:
The regular chopper is utter shit. It get's between 0-2 kills and seems to be shot down faster than the harrier (counter intuitive as the chopper is supposed to move around more than the harrier).

Meanwhile the Harrier Strike usually get's 1-2, then the plane that hangs around gets 3-5 by itself.

in matches where I play neither choppers or harriers get a single kill shooting. the moment I hear the call my bazooka comes right out. with fast lock and homing missiles I honestly don't understand why someone would get killed by one. I only get killed by an enemy seeing me shooting.
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
freitax said:
how many cannabis leafs are there in the game? counting titles and emblems??

Too many. There's also atleast a few without pot leaves, but it's still about getting high like 'so baked'

I'm sure the bros get a kick out if, though
 

Kibbles

Member
Feb 12, 2008
17,117
1
1,110
X26 said:
Too many. There's also atleast a few without pot leaves, but it's still about getting high like 'so baked'

I'm sure the bros get a kick out if, though
I'm surprised it's not some sort of equipment.
 

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Feb 24, 2009
3,606
0
0
Santa Monica
There's a common problem with the matchmaking of the game...and that's the consistency of your party during a searching segment. 9 times out of 10, you'll be searching for a game with you and your 1-5 friends, to find a message appear at the top "Attempting to merge with another lobby or game" or something along that line. Nearly 75% the time, the merge will take place...leaving 1-3 of your friends merged into another lobby, or dropped out completely.

I'm now going to quote the most famous phrase of words from the end of 2009...

'Please fix this shit IW!'
 

Red Blaster

Member
Jun 6, 2005
22,554
1
1,170
xDangerboy said:
the same people that kick your friends out of your own party.

also the same people that make it take upwards of 5 minutes to find a match whens there is over 100,000 people in said playlist.

good stuff

Also I'm flabbergasted that I still get matches that start 5 vs. 6. There's almost 1 million people playing this and I can't get a full 12 player match?
 

steadfast

Member
Aug 1, 2007
1,725
0
0
SoCal
xDangerboy said:
This games party system fucking awful. Im almost positive that they spent the majority of their time making the paper look cool when you shot boxes :/

The least they could have done is make the prestige symbols a little more creative. I mean goddam they are just 9 different patterns of a star in the middle; switching between orange, silver, and gray. fuckin lazy

CoD 4 badges were based off of real military medals so I imagine that something similar is true for MW2... except for 10 which just looks like they skulled it out to match all the prestige titles.

 

Stantron

Member
Oct 3, 2006
2,677
0
1,280
If it wasn't for the terrible lag, the marathon/lightweight/commando/tactical knife setup wouldn't be nearly as effective as some of you guys claim. /bitter
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
Before the game came out I was sure I'd go prestige even though the rewards aren't that grest, but seeing how much longer it takes to rank up (56 now at around 1day8hrs) compared to mw1, I'm not so sure.
 

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Oct 29, 2004
11,823
4
1,640
I saw a new potleaf title today. It read "High Command".

I couldn't help but :lol
 

X26

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
17,250
1
0
Canada
blame space said:
:lol :lol

And yes, only "bros" smoke pot.

well yea, but only bros find it amusing to slap on 420 and pot references on everything

them and your typical pre-teen male, although they aren't mutually exclusive
 

Minamu

Member
Feb 2, 2009
11,361
2
720
36
Skövde, Sweden
I'd love IW if they added a Headshots Only mode. You only die/kill from shooting people in the head. Obviously. I don't think it would need its own playlist either. As long as you could specifically search for such a lobby, I don't think any play modes would be terribly unbalanced by such a criteria. Right? :) Or at least make it available in TDM & S&D.

And please make kills through windows etc count as penetration kills! OMG! It's lame enough that you need a specific kind of bullet for it to count... And if you can die from being shot in your pinky toe in Hardcore, bullets should definitely penetrate a stupid trash can made out of plastic >_<
 

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Oct 29, 2004
11,823
4
1,640
Estate sucks so fucking much.

It would be good if it had an alternate underground tunnel to get in like cs_militia, but as it stands, this map SUCKS.
 

jiien

Member
May 5, 2009
1,325
0
980
Cerrius said:
Estate sucks so fucking much.

It would be good if it had an alternate underground tunnel to get in like cs_militia, but as it stands, this map SUCKS.

I never had a problem with it. The map is large enough that there are a ton of ways to go around people. Also, people tend to forget that in 90% of all cases where you die, if the enemy saw you, you could have seen the enemy. Just move slowly? Change your class? Thermals in this game make it really easy to spot campers.

Edit: If you're trying to clear out the second floor of the house, riot shields make that really easy. There is no room to move around up there.

There are also five ways off the top of my head to get in. And if the enemy team has really locked it down that much...noob tube or snipe the place. Not saying you do this, but the reason so many people complain about that map is that they keep dying every time they try rushing the house. So stop rushing in, people.
 

buy teh haloz

Banned
May 8, 2009
3,038
9
770
Australia
Minamu said:
I'd love IW if they added a Headshots Only mode. You only die/kill from shooting people in the head. Obviously. I don't think it would need its own playlist either. As long as you could specifically search for such a lobby, I don't think any play modes would be terribly unbalanced by such a criteria. Right? :) Or at least make it available in TDM & S&D.

And please make kills through windows etc count as penetration kills! OMG! It's lame enough that you need a specific kind of bullet for it to count... And if you can die from being shot in your pinky toe in Hardcore, bullets should definitely penetrate a stupid trash can made out of plastic >_<
I know it's not really the same, but I'm pretty sure you can set it to headshots only in a private match.
 

venom2124

Member
Jan 26, 2009
831
0
965
steadfast said:
CoD 4 badges were based off of real military medals so I imagine that something similar is true for MW2... except for 10 which just looks like they skulled it out to match all the prestige titles.

I really disliked the smiling cyclops badge. Prestige badges look pretty good this time around. Going for my skull.
 

Minamu

Member
Feb 2, 2009
11,361
2
720
36
Skövde, Sweden
jiien said:
I never had a problem with it. The map is large enough that there are a ton of ways to go around people. Also, people tend to forget that in 90% of all cases where you die, if the enemy saw you, you could have seen the enemy. Just move slowly? Change your class? Thermals in this game make it really easy to spot campers.
Hell no :lol Everyone I play with can confirm that if you die, it's because some asshole was sitting in the corner you didn't look at. If you look to the right before entering a room, you'll get shot from the left. It works every goddamn time in cod4 & mw2. Look up & you'll get shot through the floor. Look at all corners, although you'll probably die before you manage to, you'll get shot from outer space. We've stopped calling this game cod4/mw2. It's "shot from behind once again 4". I've played shooters for the last decade or so & never have I experienced this amount of getting shot from some stupid ass direction you didn't think it was possible to die from, in another game. And to add more insult to injury, they've added a whole bunch of new debris types & moving trees/chicken all over every single map :lol
 

ExtraKr1spy

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
1,541
0
0
Fun watching snipers trying to get to a place they wanna camp and they throw smoke but but run out as soon as the smoke grenade explodes instead of waiting a few seconds to let the smoke build up.
 
Jul 7, 2009
985
0
580
The single player got truly amazing after the Favela stage. Wow.

The story is still the most confusing/disjointed thing I've ever experienced in any media, but
when you're watching nuclear explosions from space and commanding a tank with a laser pointer like some kind of badass Pokemon
, you stop caring.

Such an improvement over CoD4. I really felt the impact of some of the set pieces this time. I still think it's better to play a scripted game like this on normal (as opposed to veteran or hardened) because it flows better, but I'm stubborn and had fun on hardened.
 

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
8,565
411
1,350
i was going to get this game yesterday but when i went to buy it they wanted 119 AUD. I'm not paying that much :/

looks like i'll have to travel out to JB HIFI which is annoying as my nearest JB is ages away :(
 

Shawsie64

Banned
Mar 27, 2007
4,024
0
0
So I don't get the camper complaint really, if I get killed by a "camper" I sneak up and n00b tube the fuck out of him :D
 

elemnopee

Neo Member
Jun 11, 2009
11
0
0
venom2124 said:
I really disliked the smiling cyclops badge. Prestige badges look pretty good this time around. Going for my skull.

I liked it so much that I stayed at that prestige. It looks like a pineapple to me.
 

Magik

Member
Jan 22, 2007
3,662
0
0
OldJadedGamer said:
It really has changed since COD4. This game isn't grabbing me as much as COD4 did and I played that for 2 years getting my Gold Cross. While I like it a lot, there is something that is just missing I think and I can't put my finger on it. A few of my friends and I are taking a break from it and are going to switch over to L4D2 for a little while.

I think one of the reasons why MW2 feels different from MW1 is because IW made too many changes to the game to the point where it went from a Run n' Gun game to a very defensive game. They tried balancing the game mechanics but ended up going from one extreme to the other.

One of my biggest beefs with MW2 has to be the lack of any real change to some of the modes like HQ and Domination. For instance, outside of the HQ capture delay IW did nothing else to HQ. Is it so hard to add more HQ locations especially considering how the maps tend to have a lot of unique areas? Why only have the same 7-8 spots over and over especially when some HQ spots are one-sided.

MW2 is still a great game, but there are some serious flaws.
 

Shawsie64

Banned
Mar 27, 2007
4,024
0
0
backflip10019 said:
You're part of the problem.

Oh your one of those guys that complains about everything yeah? first its tubes, then camping, then kill streaks, then hit rego..

Play to have fun, its more enjoyable that way
=P

Edit:

I have a friend that has an excuse for EVERYTIME he gets killed, its never his fault.. its always a fault with the map, a camper, a glitch, balance issue, hit rego out, lag ect. he even complains when people use a certain gun to, ya know, get kills of all things. Its quite hilarious.
 

Stillmatic

Member
Oct 13, 2006
2,662
42
1,170
Just unlocked the title "Xzibit A", achieved in an extremely rare case of getting a cp within a cp.

I actually didn't, but i would've laughed and cried at the same time if they had that in there. XD
 

backflip10019

Member
Feb 19, 2007
20,042
1
1,385
NYC
Shawsie64 said:
Oh your one of those guys that complains about everything yeah? first its tubes, then camping, then kill streaks, then hit rego..

Play to have fun, its more enjoyable that way
=P

Edit:

I have a friend that has an excuse for EVERYTIME he gets killed, its never his fault.. its always a fault with the map, a camper, a glitch, balance issue, hit rego out, lag ect. he even complains when people use a certain gun to, ya know, get kills of all things. Its quite hilarious.
Noob tubes are overpowered; it's not possible to argue otherwise.
 

steadfast

Member
Aug 1, 2007
1,725
0
0
SoCal
backflip10019 said:
Noob tubes are overpowered; it's not possible to argue otherwise.

My favorite guys* are the ones that equip a tube AR and the Thumper, shoot their 4 shots and die or use scavenger to rearm -- though that group usually isn't smart enough to use scavenger.

* by "My favorite guys," I mean no-skill-jackasses :D
 

Pyke Presco

Member
Dec 9, 2008
1,472
0
970
steadfast said:
My favorite guys* are the ones that equip a tube AR and the Thumper, shoot their 4 shots and die or use scavenger to rearm -- though that group usually isn't smart enough to use scavenger.

* by "My favorite guys," I mean no-skill-jackasses :D

I won't lie, this is my lag class. Couple it with claymores and danger close for maximum noobage. Played it on Favela this afternoon and was tubing people through windows 4 buildings away, it was pretty awesome.

(sorry for anybody who has to play against me when I'm redbarring, I can be a real asshole.)
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,803
327
1,345
Canada
steadfast said:
CoD 4 badges were based off of real military medals so I imagine that something similar is true for MW2... except for 10 which just looks like they skulled it out to match all the prestige titles.

The level 5 one always looked like a one-eyed alien to me.

now you can't unsee it, hahaha
 

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jun 6, 2004
19,658
0
0
49
For the eventual patch, I wish they would change the scoring on objective based maps. People not even trying to do the objectives piss me the hell off. I understand they are grinding for their level, but go to deathmatch for that!