• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

dakster

Neo Member
Had some great games earlier, ended the match twice on FFA, once only four deaths the other six. Going to give the game a rest for while though, matchmaking is pissing me right off.

Dropped into a game, game ends, wtf?
IWnet pairing me constantly with players without my region, more wtf.
Sitting in lobby's for ages......
Games starting with with only four players......

Could go on all night. However it's a good game, just teething troubles i imagine. Will have a look again in the near future see if most of this is sorted. Still have the single player campaign to play anyway, so happy days.

J-Rzez

This matchmaking and party system is pure shit. How the fuck does such a high level game have such problems? This goes for any games of this regard. But this is bullshit especially for this game that runs worse than MW1.

jedimike

J-Rzez said:
This matchmaking and party system is pure shit. How the fuck does such a high level game have such problems? This goes for any games of this regard. But this is bullshit especially for this game that runs worse than MW1.

? - No issues here.

Hyunkel6

jedimike said:
? - No issues here.

I did not have any problems either until the last 2 days. Matchmaking is taking significantly longer now, and around 1 of 3 games has noticeable lag. I hope IW can fix this soon.

jedimike

Hyunkel6 said:
I did not have any problems either until the last 2 days. Matchmaking is taking significantly longer now, and around 1 of 3 games has noticeable lag. I hope IW can fix this soon.

I wonder if these problems are region/console related. I was on last night (XBL) and didn't notice any problems. Played HTDM and FFA. The matchmaking was solid and consistently matched me up with similar leveled players. No lag issues. A few days ago, my games were laging and I was getting one red bar. I rebooted my modem and router and was full green again.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I guess that's a night then. My MW2 won't connect anymore to games, seems the online has broken down - I'm on 360 in UK with Virgin. It's not just me either, many times the entire lobby would wait for ages until booted. Played one game with crazy lag too.

Ganhyun

I have seen some of the issues.

360 player here, as are my friends.

I have noticed that if my party is 4 or more, we have a 50/50 chance (which actually gets higher for it to happen the larger the party is) of losing some of our players when the lobby merges happen or it puts us in a lobby. Ground War is really bad for it in particular. We are all U.S. players, all over the country.

One of my biggest beefs with MW2 has to be the lack of any real change to some of the modes like HQ and Domination. For instance, outside of the HQ capture delay IW did nothing else to HQ. Is it so hard to add more HQ locations especially considering how the maps tend to have a lot of unique areas? Why only have the same 7-8 spots over and over especially when some HQ spots are one-sided.

Well, in HQ they did add the delay like u said as well as making it where if u die and ur team has the HQ, u dont gain points like u did in COD4.

Stillmatic

Do killstreaks rewards expire if you don't use them within a certain period? I use them around the time i unlock them but it could be useful to hold onto some.

Regarding matchmaking/lobby/party system, PS3 version + NZ/Aus = a fucking nightmare. It's such a mission for friends to get together to find a decent game, we spend well over twice as much time in the lobby/party than actually playing.

We all get into the party fine (now after the update) then join matchmaking, either one of us drops out or all of us get booted back to the lobby with the message "waiting for party leader". The times it doesn't kick anyone it'll take forever to find other players to join, it'll usually say "waiting for # of players to join" or "trying to merge parties". When we're waiting for more players to join it gets to '1 more player' then after a while the room fills with more than it said it needed, but the room still isn't full, it'll then say "waiting for more players to balance teams" when the teams are even and there are more people in the room than when it said "waiting for 1 more player"! :lol Eventually we get into a game, choose our load out and check our ping, which is 90% of the time red or yellow, so we bail since that's unplayable and go through the whole process again. I find it unbelievable that this games party/matchmaking is so terrible when everything else is ace. I'd much rather the matchmaking system match connections rather than skill, i don't care who i'm playing as long as i'm green...

Stillmatic said:
Do killstreaks rewards expire if you don't use them within a certain period? I use them around the time i unlock them but it could be useful to hold onto some.
Naw you can hold them for as long as you like. Even if you get your next killstreak, once you use the higher killstreak you will still be able to use the old one afterwards.

J-Rzez said:

I know what you are talking about and I agree. Btw, as a launch owner of COD4 it had the same problems but they patched it.

jedimike said:
I wonder if these problems are region/console related. I was on last night (XBL) and didn't notice any problems. Played HTDM and FFA. The matchmaking was solid and consistently matched me up with similar leveled players. No lag issues. A few days ago, my games were laging and I was getting one red bar. I rebooted my modem and router and was full green again.

It's more a problem the more people you have in your lobby. Playing by yourself you won't notice but keeping a party of 4 or more together is pretty hard. God forbid you have a full 9 in your party you can almost forget about it.

Stillmatic

FromTheFuture said:
Naw you can hold them for as long as you like. Even if you get your next killstreak, once you use the higher killstreak you will still be able to use the old one afterwards.
Awesome, cheers! I guess now i can hold onto a predator missile to start the next round with a bang. :p

FromTheFuture said:

This.

I called in five vehicles once, it was amazing.

Quick question. Can you no longer quick fire with the desert eagle? I haven't unlocked it in mp yet, but I messed around with in sp for the first time today and I noticed I couldn't do it like in Cod4. Was wondering if it's like that in mp as well.

freitax

Cerrius said:
ugh, my accuracy is taking a nose dive going for these FMJ challenges
You left me wondering, what's your accuracy? I have 21% but I only have 6 mw2 playing friends to compare with:s And the leaderboard is useless, I saw a guy with 156% accuracy with -576 misses, I mean honestly? Global leaderboards for this game is pointless, but friends only is pretty cool.

I had a game today where host migration didn't work. The game got laggy for a few seconds, I got a black screen, and we were back in the lobby with the message "Connection to server lost".

This game definitely has more networking/matchmaking issues than CoD4 did. Sometimes matchmaking times are so long, it makes me feel like I'm on Gears of War 2 again.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
freitax said:
You left me wondering, what's your accuracy? I have 21% but I only have 6 mw2 playing friends to compare with:s And the leaderboard is useless, I saw a guy with 156% accuracy with -576 misses, I mean honestly? Global leaderboards for this game is pointless, but friends only is pretty cool.

After spraying walls like a mad man and completing the FMJ challenge for the M4, my accuracy stands at 21.86%.

Just found out my accuracy tops my friends leaderboard surprisingly

Stillmatic said:
Awesome, cheers! I guess now i can hold onto a predator missile to start the next round with a bang. :p
Ok maybe that wasn't very clear. You can hold onto any killstreak for the remainder of a round; they don't carry over from round to round. Everything else i said applies to each round only as well. Sorry!

Yeef

As some one who dabbles in Shielding I find this clip to be amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbiaYIyi4U#t=3m23s

FromTheFuture said:
Ok maybe that wasn't very clear. You can hold onto any killstreak for the remainder of a round; they don't carry over from round to round. Everything else i said applies to each round only as well. Sorry!
They do carry over from one round to the next, but not from one MATCH to the next. So in modes like Search and Destroy and Demolition if you get a kill streak you can hold onto it until the begining of the next round.

Just saw my first nuke in domination. Was kinda lame, as they were getting their asses handed to them objective-wise. I don't really see he point of he nuke... Oh well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pyke Presco said:
I won't lie, this is my lag class. Couple it with claymores and danger close for maximum noobage. Played it on Favela this afternoon and was tubing people through windows 4 buildings away, it was pretty awesome.

(sorry for anybody who has to play against me when I'm redbarring, I can be a real asshole.)

Fuck you and your lag class. :lol

Mooreberg

MindCollizion said:
Why is it that I can't seem to find one single damn team deathmatch game with the complete 12 players? playing with 6 or 8 is just not that great.

For me most games have 11 players and then somebody quits and it is 6 vs. 4 for much of that match. The matchmaking is really flaky, especially with always getting thrown into games that are damn near over. Anytime I switch from one playlist to another I am basically taking another loss. :lol

Just got the 6fears7 title. If I knew it existed I would have done the 7/8/9 combo a while ago. Emergency Airdrop boxes draw the campers out of their caves just in time to hit 'em with a Pave Low. :D

RavenFox

Banned
IW please fix this shit. Stop adding me to games with the team that is losing towards the end of the match. Many times as soon as I get in team loses I lose. WTF?

Scarecrow said:
What's the point of pretige-ing, again? I've only dabbled in MW2's multiplayer. I didn't even touch the first's multiplayer.

Well its different this time around.

You get:

-Prestige challenge section which I believe DONT reset after the next prestige
-Veteran and Master challenges for each primary weapon(emblems and titles unlock)
-Prestige titles and emblems to unlock
-Custom slot added.
-Prestige icon

steadfast

Scarecrow said:
What's the point of pretige-ing, again? I've only dabbled in MW2's multiplayer. I didn't even touch the first's multiplayer.

Bragging rights, mostly. Give you something to keep unlocking until MW3.

Only tangible benefit is extra custom slot(s).

tsigo

Question about One Man Army. In order to get pro, do I have to swap kits and then get kills, or just get kills using any build that has the perk?

Tokubetsu

Just beat the game on veteran, got under 30 secs in the pit and hit rank 40 in MP chyeaaaaah. I'd like to think I'm doing pretty good for someone who got the game around 8pm on Friday. I just want this shit in my VEINS. Right next to the diablo 3 IV.

G0DLIKE

I'm absolutely disgusted in the online matchmaking for this game. I've just been connected to 6 unplayable red bar games in a row. I can't believe Infinity Ward have failed to make the online playable outside of America in this day and age. The game needs a server browser or at least a local only search filter. Sooo disappointed.

tsigo

tsigo said:
Question about One Man Army. In order to get pro, do I have to swap kits and then get kills, or just get kills using any build that has the perk?

To answer my own question, the latter.

Rainy Dog

Red Blaster said:
Also I'm flabbergasted that I still get matches that start 5 vs. 6. There's almost 1 million people playing this and I can't get a full 12 player match?

A worse problem for me seems to be the game leaving half a team worth of slots empty for entire matches. I'll press select at the beginning of a game to check that I've got green bars and I'll notice that, for some reason, there's now only 3 players on my team despite there being a full lobby beforehand. No problem, I think, it'll fill those slots up in a matter of seconds. But, nope. The full match plays out 3 vs 6.

VaLiancY

IW, fix your maps please. On Highrise, I'm being sniped by people on cranes and ledges that I'm sure weren't part of the map's design. It's getting really annoying.

amar212

VaLiancY said:
IW, fix your maps please. On Highrise, I'm being sniped by people on cranes and ledges that I'm sure weren't part of the map's design. It's getting really annoying.

If you can get there, it is legitimate.

Besides, there a re only 4 spots on Highrise that can be abused - not gliched - and if you watch on those spots nothing bad can happen. You can even take advantage of such abusers by shooting them while they advance to spots.

There is no difference between crane on Highrise and Rooftop on Favela in my book.

Highrise abusers are even easier to cope with thatn any other.

VaLiancY said:
I'm no sniper myself but the cranes and ledges in highrise are all part of the level design. I see it as a bit of a risk/reward strategy. You can't get up on the cranes without exposing yourself but if you do manage it then you'll be rewarded with a fair few kills before being noticed. I just watch the kill cam and take them out if it's a problem.

Brakara

G0DLIKE said:
I'm absolutely disgusted in the online matchmaking for this game. I've just been connected to 6 unplayable red bar games in a row. I can't believe Infinity Ward have failed to make the online playable outside of America in this day and age. The game needs a server browser or at least a local only search filter. Sooo disappointed.

Haven't had any problems in Europe.

Top Bottom