• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, sold my copy!

I couldn't resist someone's offers of up to $130 (sold it for $125) and I'll just play my copy from Amazon on Tuesday.
Just made double my money and the game paid for itself.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was having HUGE trouble with even the first handful of SP missions until I figured out that IW doesn't ever want the player to stop - they want you moving forward at all times. Once I sorted that out I've been dying a lot less.

Ah damnit, I HATED this from the first game.

Ugh.

Solo

A.R.K said:
WTF IW, SP is as important as MP!!!!

To you and me, perhaps (actually, SP is MUCH more important than MP to my gaming tastes), but evidently not to IW, who havent put together a campaign worth a damn since COD2.

dallow_bg said:
Well, sold my copy!

I couldn't resist someone's offers of up to $130 (sold it for $125) and I'll just play my copy from Amazon on Tuesday.
Just made double my money and the game paid for itself.

thats pretty crazy. :lol Nicely done.

Arucardo

VASPER said:
I have to keep this alive.

Got my copy today can't wait!
Sorry for the shitty Iphone pic.
Haha I wasn't expecting to see this :lol .

I guess I'll preorder the gimped pc version during the weekend, it's only 38eur tax-free.

Solo said:
To you and me, perhaps (actually, SP is MUCH more important than MP to my gaming tastes), but evidently not to IW, who havent put together a campaign worth a damn since COD2.
WTF I loved the MW1 campaign.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
People seem to be latching onto my SP impressions the most, so I feel like I wanna qualify my statement -

#1 I'm not a huge fan of COD in general. I like the series and I buy each one, but I've always preferred other shooters. So consider my impressions through that lens.

#2 I'm not that GOOD at COD (this might influence point #1). In other shooters my K/D ratio is around 1.2 - 1.5, like clockwork. I'm slightly above average. But something about COD just doesn't translate. In COD my K/D is ~.8.

Basically, I'm playing MW2's campaign and if you took some of these levels and slipped them into MW1 (or vice versa) I don't think I would notice. The game feels the same.

So... those millions of you that are super big into the franchise have nothing to worry about.

I just see a lot of parallels between Uncharted and Modern Warfare. Uncharted 1 and Modern Warfare were both 8's in my book. Good, enjoyable, but nothing too amazing. So whereas Uncharted 2 really seemed to work incredibly hard to exceed my expectations, MW2 just feels like a sequel. Keep in mind I'm only referring to SP, here.

Chittagong

Gold Member
didn't want to read the thread to avoid spoilers, but would anyone know if MW2 will have enemy closets and trip wire AI triggering? Key factor in deciding if I go in on Veteran or Hard.

Solo

Chittagong said:
didn't want to read the thread to avoid spoilers, but would anyone know if MW2 will have enemy closets and trip wire AI triggering? Key factor in deciding if I go in on Veteran or Hard.

Its been confirmed that endless respawning until you hit arbitrary, invisible checkpoints is still in the game, yes.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Solo said:
Its been confirmed that endless respawning until you hit arbitrary, invisible checkpoints is still in the game, yes.

Thanks. Maybe I'll go in Hard then
that's what she said

Dyno

Whether you love or hate the 'moving forward' mechanic it is a defining aspect of COD games. It's the objective, not necessarily the kill count. You're in the middle of the battle, usually with guys ahead of you and guys behind you.

I don't mind it because it does make COD feel different than other games. It's got it's own vibe, like Halo. This was really driven home in COD4 Arcade Mode. I got unexpected pleasure from that mode because it was all about running through quickly and linking kills to form massive combos.

crunker99

got it baby

mw2dm.jpg

love my distributor, always comes through for me baby, helps me out with the site all the time

installing the shiznit now, should be a party this weekend

anyone with LEGIT copies hit me up on live GT: GRDM -- us LEGITers can play

Well this is odd, never planned on getting the game in the first place, but I MIGHT have a copy by tomorrow (if they still have them in stock), go figure.

Hmm...my 360 completely destroyed my copy. And no, my unit is lying down. I'm pissed and relieved at the same time. A nice little sour note to begin the weekend on...#$^@%^@%&@%%%^@ FUCK YOU MICROSOFT AND YOUR SHITTY HARDWARE!

Probably revenge for renting Damnation...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
A.R.K said:
WTF IW, SP is as important as MP!!!! Looks like more of the same old. I think this is one of those over-hyped games which will get 9s 10s across board but will fall short when the dust settles.

Also after watching some MP footage I am not impressed by the graphics at all apart from some good lighting.

Now I am not sure about my pre-order! :/

Will keep reading GAF impressions.

Really? I think graphically the game looks pretty good and as far as those impressions of SP sounds yes SP is important but it is a military shooter, I wasn't expecting much from the story anyway. Multiplayer is where it will have its legs for me. Just need to be realistic with your hype.

DoomGyver

Assembly Required said:
Hmm...my 360 completely destroyed my copy. And no, my unit is lying down. I'm pissed and relieved at the same time. A nice little sour note to begin the weekend on...#$^@%^@%&@%%%^@ FUCK YOU MICROSOFT AND YOUR SHITTY HARDWARE!

Probably revenge for renting Damnation...
Should have installed it, durr.

A.R.K

Not a Jellyfish said:
Really? I think graphically the game looks pretty good and as far as those impressions of SP sounds yes SP is important but it is a military shooter, I wasn't expecting much from the story anyway. Multiplayer is where it will have its legs for me. Just need to be realistic with your hype.

hmmm, may be I got spoiled by certain exclusives on a certain console ;)
it does look good but nothing special IMO

Spasm

Just got an email from Best Buy saying it's been shipped! This is a pleasant surprise, after the last game I got from them, I didn't receive till the Saturday after it came out.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sOME OF YOU son of the bitches having copies are true rat bastards. Son of the bitch and I can't enjoy this whore like game and some of you ferry's after having the time of you life!

FML

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
A.R.K said:
hmmm, may be I got spoiled by certain exclusives on a certain console ;)
it does look good but nothing special IMO

I hear you on that. ;)

But for me with the genre of games the CoD franchise is in I know not to expect much from the story, unless it's SciFi based. :D

Anyone in the UK with a preorder from shopto getting emails yet? They're usually pretty early with their payments and get me games a day early. Nothing for me yet though :(

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
People seem to be latching onto my SP impressions the most, so I feel like I wanna qualify my statement -

#1 I'm not a huge fan of COD in general. I like the series and I buy each one, but I've always preferred other shooters. So consider my impressions through that lens.

#2 I'm not that GOOD at COD (this might influence point #1). In other shooters my K/D ratio is around 1.2 - 1.5, like clockwork. I'm slightly above average. But something about COD just doesn't translate. In COD my K/D is ~.8.

Basically, I'm playing MW2's campaign and if you took some of these levels and slipped them into MW1 (or vice versa) I don't think I would notice. The game feels the same.

So... those millions of you that are super big into the franchise have nothing to worry about.

I just see a lot of parallels between Uncharted and Modern Warfare. Uncharted 1 and Modern Warfare were both 8's in my book. Good, enjoyable, but nothing too amazing. So whereas Uncharted 2 really seemed to work incredibly hard to exceed my expectations, MW2 just feels like a sequel. Keep in mind I'm only referring to SP, here.

I finished the game last night.

My Overall impressions is a big MEH at best. It was fun, don't get me wrong. But it was over quite quickly. Some missions are just ridiculously short. And the pace constantly has this feel of someone shouting GO GO GO behind you ALL the the time in almost all the missions.

It's on Par with COD 4 MW. But I feel it was slightly overhyped and that some moments in the game didn't come across as dramatic as they should have been.

Granted I finished it on Regular difficulty and I usually tackle the COD series on Veteran or Hard.

It was fun while it lasted. Just over too quickly. The game did have some bugs for me at a few moments. Ie: Enemies just standing in front of me not shooting. The game objective getting stuck and unable to progress. Had to restart the mission for that one.

Overall I just wasn't impressed THAT much.

On the other hand, multiplayer is another story...

X26

Banned
While MP is by far my most most anticipated part of the game, these SP insights are really, really dissapointing

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DarkGreymore said:
I finished the game last night.

My Overall impressions is a big MEH at best. It was fun, don't get me wrong. But it was over quite quickly. Some missions are just ridiculously short. And the pace constantly has this feel of someone shouting GO GO GO behind you ALL the the time in almost all the missions.

It's on Par with COD 4 MW. But I feel it was slightly overhyped and that some moments in the game didn't come across as dramatic as they should have been.

Granted I finished it on Regular difficulty and I usually tackle the COD series on Veteran or Hard.

It was fun while it lasted. Just over too quickly. The game did have some bugs for me at a few moments. Ie: Enemies just standing in front of me not shooting. The game objective getting stuck and unable to progress. Had to restart the mission for that one.

Overall I just wasn't impressed THAT much.

On the other hand, multiplayer is another story...

Can you please please help me answer the following:

-Are all the maps (16?) also available on splitscreen? Usually only a handful are.
-Four player split, right?

Many thanks. :D

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
chubigans said:
Can you please please help me answer the following:

-Are all the maps (16?) also available on splitscreen? Usually only a handful are.
-Four player split, right?

Many thanks. :D

Hmm I'm not at Home I didn't really pay attention to the splitscreen options. I know you can play 4 Players locally in MP. I tried a few with a roomate. Not sure if ALL 16 are available this way but it would be a safe bet to think they are but I can check later.

And yes you can play MP maps 4 Players splitscreen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was having HUGE trouble with even the first handful of SP missions until I figured out that IW doesn't ever want the player to stop - they want you moving forward at all times. Once I sorted that out I've been dying a lot less.
This is back? :( That is one of my biggest pet peeves with the series. The game controls the pacing at which you move forward. In general, they keep throwing endless enemies at you if you aren't pushing forward, but in certain situations, you have to deal with a certain number of enemies before you can proceed (you'll be killed quickly if you attempt to push forward). Basically, the freeform nature of games like Halo and Uncharted 2 is completely absent.

I think this demonstrates how high praise can result in stagnation. If the original Uncharted had been praised to the heavens, for instance, I'm not so sure the sequel would have been as good as it is. They improved upon what people complained about. Seems like IW decided it was "good enough" and created another campaign in the same mold without even trying to improve things.

And the pace constantly has this feel of someone shouting GO GO GO behind you ALL the the time in almost all the missions.
That sounds awful. :\

It's amazing how Killzone 2 received so much flack but should ultimately be a better game (at least on the SP side).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ah, thanks man, I really appreciate it. :D

Even if SP is disappointing and I'm not a huge online gamer, I could really use a good four player splitscreen game.

Okay, new question:

Can someone tell me the difference between the 4-streak "Care Package" and the 8-streak "Emergency Airdrop?"

Edit: And how long do sentry guns last?

Top Bottom