• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I love how the guy in the domination video doesn't go for one flag as far the brief part i watched. Yes, it's good having a guy like that getting heli's and stuff but half the time it's only 2-3 people on your team going for flags while the rest play like it's TDM. Kills don't win domination matches, flags do.

MMaRsu

Banned
The SP impressions worry me :(. I fucking hated the pacing in CoD4 ( endless enemies, scripted bs ) and now it's back while they said they were going to take that stuff away? Wtf.

I know I'll love MP probably, but fuck me that's just bad game design man.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah what I heard is that Kmart doesn't have the same register lockout.

Hmmm, so all i need is to catch some kmart employee who doesn't no shit. Shouldn't be too hard.

Does this game have a DO NOT SELL sticker on it?

I need to know if IW put in custom classes in system link or splitscreen? I know it is highly unlikely but a man can dream. The fact that you had to choose from premade classes in splitscreen MW1 killed any chances of it showing up at most 360 lan parties.

GillianSeed79 said:
I love how the guy in the domination video doesn't go for one flag as far the brief part i watched. Yes, it's good having a guy like that getting heli's and stuff but half the time it's only 2-3 people on your team going for flags while the rest play like it's TDM. Kills don't win domination matches, flags do.

Turns out he doesn't need to. They hold the flags for almost the entire match.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
ALeperMessiah said:
Hmmm, so all i need is to catch some kmart employee who doesn't no shit. Shouldn't be too hard.

Does this game have a DO NOT SELL sticker on it?
Most big titles have that seal.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Sad to read about the single player impressions. That infinite enemy spawn crap is terribly annoying and just lousy, cheap game design.

I expected better from IW, but I'll wait till I get my hands on the game and play it myself before completely damning the campaign.

ALeperMessiah said:
Sandusky area. But alas, the place I was counting on is already sold out:( They said they'd have more tomorrow.

Anyone else from ohio know of a place...

Yep, my brother got the last copy, my parents were in line behind him to get me a copy, but they couldn't because they were all out, oh well, would of been a gift anyways, so I'll just play his copy when I get back from college. I was more looking forward to play the SP, but impressions so far seem to be Meh...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DarkGreymore said:
I finished the game last night.

My Overall impressions is a big MEH at best. It was fun, don't get me wrong. But it was over quite quickly. Some missions are just ridiculously short. And the pace constantly has this feel of someone shouting GO GO GO behind you ALL the the time in almost all the missions.

It's on Par with COD 4 MW. But I feel it was slightly overhyped and that some moments in the game didn't come across as dramatic as they should have been.

Granted I finished it on Regular difficulty and I usually tackle the COD series on Veteran or Hard.

It was fun while it lasted. Just over too quickly. The game did have some bugs for me at a few moments. Ie: Enemies just standing in front of me not shooting. The game objective getting stuck and unable to progress. Had to restart the mission for that one.

Overall I just wasn't impressed THAT much.

On the other hand, multiplayer is another story...

Yeah, I'm ~2 hours into the SP so far and the pacing is something I've noticed, as well. IMMEDIATELY from the beginning the accelerator is all the way to the floor, and for the most part it never lets up. Every single mission seems to be "OMFG GO RUN NOW GO SHOOT KILL" amped up to 11.

They certainly nailed the intensity, but you become a little numb to it when it isn't interspersed with more deliberate and methodical sections.

The pace IS broken up a couple times,
by the infamous airport scene and the arctic stealth section
but then it's right back to being 100% all-out war.

Maybe some people will prefer that pacing, but I've been spoiled by Uncharted, which seems to make a deliberate effort to actually BUILD to moments of extremely high intensity, and then allow the player to come down from them.

Side note: I've also encountered some nasty checkpoints - a problem I had with COD4 as well. In one particular section I got a checkpoint when both my guns were empty and it was hard as hell to get them reloaded without dying. Through trial and error I found a spot I could retreat to and hide to get it done.

Checkpoint behavior is weird in general. I'll die on a section a few times trying to push forward and never get a checkpoint. Then on another attempt I'll get one, in the exact same spot where I previously didn't. I think the game is coded to only give checkpoints when no enemies are around?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
THIS IS FUCKIN AWESOME!!!!
My local arab gamestore in Gardena is selling MW2 early. Mohammed dude is just that awesome to gamers and people really don't have to pay 60+ bux on it, when he can sell it for 50 bux!!
:D :D :D

djblackice said:
Opening speech is amazing a la KZ2 opening speech cinematic. Very powerful.

Training mission now. Framerate is very smooth.
I expected to be blown away by the opening speech, because I took this post to heart.
It's a decent speech, but whoever is voicing Shepherd does not have the power, conviction and resonance of Brian Cox's Visari. In no way shape or form. I'm not even sure IW even meant the opening speech to be "powerful", what about it struck you that way?

Furthermore, while you might not notice any drops in the PS3 version, I do, which means guys like TTP and that other guy whose "full of rich creamy shit" certainly will.
It never goes below 30, but I can feel my controls getting "heavier" during a few of the more intense action sets. Especially during the opening portion of that airport section.

HooCares

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Okay, new question:

Can someone tell me the difference between the 4-streak "Care Package" and the 8-streak "Emergency Airdrop?"

Edit: And how long do sentry guns last?

The Emergency Drop is 4 care packages at once.

The sentry gun can be picked up and redeployed by the original player - not sure how long it lasts.

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
Yeah, I'm ~2 hours into the SP so far and the pacing is something I've noticed, as well. IMMEDIATELY from the beginning the accelerator is all the way to the floor, and for the most part it never lets up. Every single mission seems to be "OMFG GO RUN NOW GO SHOOT KILL" amped up to 11.

They certainly nailed the intensity, but you become a little numb to it when it isn't interspersed with more deliberate and methodical sections.

The pace IS broken up a couple times,
by the infamous airport scene and the arctic stealth section
but then it's right back to being 100% all-out war.

Maybe some people will prefer that pacing, but I've been spoiled by Uncharted, which seems to make a deliberate effort to actually BUILD to moments of extremely high intensity, and then allow the player to come down from them.

Side note: I've also encountered some nasty checkpoints - a problem I had with COD4 as well. In one particular section I got a checkpoint when both my guns were empty and it was hard as hell to get them reloaded without dying. Through trial and error I found a spot I could retreat to and hide to get it done.

Checkpoint behavior is weird in general. I'll die on a section a few times trying to push forward and never get a checkpoint. Then on another attempt I'll get one, in the exact same spot where I previously didn't. I think the game is coded to only give checkpoints when no enemies are around?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so of the pacing.

Now that you mentioned it I noticed the whole checkpoint thing as well.

It was rather odd how it worked. sometimes I would die two three times in a few similar spots and the game would save a checkpoint at different intervals. It was a little odd.

Most likely based on wave of enemies defeated i'm taking a guess. I've had two three checkpoints in a row a few times and was wondering why so many in such a short timelapse.

Just got in...
ridermw2.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me its time to get busy!

Gary Whitta said:
I know for sure a friend of mine who lives in Kentucky got it from their local Kmart, that's all I have though.

Just called my local Kmart (near Raleigh, NC) and the dude said they won't have it to sell until Tuesday.

So, it sounds like you just need to get lucky and find an employee that doesn't know about the street date.

VerTiGo

Banned
Modern Warfare 2 is already at retailers. My friend picked up a bunch of copies for his store already. If you look hard enough or get lucky you'd probably find it at smaller game shops. I'm not picking it up personally however... don't really care.

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
Dax01 said:
For those who have completed the campaign, are there any levels equivalent in quality to "All Ghillied Up"?

Yes and no. There is two small parts in the game that are SLIGHTLY stealth. but nothing close to how good "All Ghillied Up" was.

Not even by a mile.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

Accident

UnholySpectacle said:
I need to know if IW put in custom classes in system link or splitscreen? I know it is highly unlikely but a man can dream. The fact that you had to choose from premade classes in splitscreen MW1 killed any chances of it showing up at most 360 lan parties.

Yes there is custom classes in splitscreen, but you have to level up and unlock the weapons.

DarkGreymore said:
Yes and no. There is two small parts in the game that are SLIGHTLY stealth. but nothing close to how good "All Ghillied Up" was.

Not even by a mile.

Kind of sad if you ask me.
You have to admit though, the section
leading up the snowmobile chase
was boss. Awesome weather effects and atmosphere, I felt like I was in a 007 film, which I'm sure was the intended affect.

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
theignoramus said:
You have to admit though, the section
leading up the snowmobile chase
was boss. Awesome weather effects and atmosphere, I felt like I was in a 007 film, which I'm sure was the intended affect.

I'm not saying it was not well done. It was fine. But it's hard to live up to a mission like "All Ghillied Up"

Nardonicus said:
Just called my local Kmart (near Raleigh, NC) and the dude said they won't have it to sell until Tuesday.

So, it sounds like you just need to get lucky and find an employee that doesn't know about the street date.
Called up my local KMart too and the lady was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! There's no way we can sell that early!"

Enosh

Strider2K99 said:
Please give impressions of th PC version. I'm considering getting it down the line once price goes down.
he won't be able to
the PC version is locked until the 10th

steam thingy

DarkGreymore

Neo Member
I'm going to try the PC version tonight. Curious to see the difference between the Xbox 360 Version and the PC Version.

If any really at all. (aside from mouse and keyboard support as IW said "rolls eyes")

DarkGreymore said:
I'm going to try the PC version tonight. Curious to see the difference between the Xbox 360 Version and the PC Version.

If any really at all. (aside from mouse and keyboard support as IW said "rolls eyes")

Anything neat about the box or is it just standard manual and disc ?

Top Bottom