• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

No_Style

Truant said:
Graphics and framerate are pretty good, and the guns feel and sound incredible.

Were their slowdowns or something? I'm not trying to make it a big deal, but it'd be surprising if there were framerate drops in SP.

kuYuri

ZZMitch said:
Ugh, My Xbox 360 borked out RRoD style a few days ago and I am sending it in tomorrow... so i won't get it back for three weeks or so.

My new PS3, however, is still working fine and I was wondering how the PS3 version compares to the 360 version? Such as with the online differences between the two versions created by Xbox Live/PSN. I just got my first PS3 a few weeks ago so I am not sure how multiplatform games usually differ when it comes to online.

Another problem is I preordered the xbox 360 version at best buy... do you think I would be able to swap it for a PS3 version in store or is the demand for both versions just to great that I will have no shot? :D

From most impressions here, PS3 version sounds fine, other than possible trophy glitches. That might need a patch.

Also, I don't see why Best Buy wouldn't allow you to switch preorders, these places should have tons of copies of the game, the demand is too great for them not to have enough copies.

Truant

Zeliard said:
Is it still the same endless respawn bullshit too? Single-player gameplay in CoD has never evolved and I would expect nothing different here.

I quit the current level I'm at because of infinite respawning, so yeah.

There was this one mission that seemed pretty open, in that there was no strict path you had to follow. Then I got to the 'Hold X to place charges' and it was good old 2003 again.

And no, there were no 'slowdowns', but the framerate did drop a few places, quite noticeably at one time. It didn't impact the gameplay really, but I felt it.

Feindflug

Zeliard said:
Is it still the same endless respawn bullshit too? Single-player gameplay in CoD has never evolved and I would expect nothing different here.

According to the SP impressions till now yes it's the same endless respawn bs again...unfortunately. :(

I know it's disappointing considering IW promised better enemy AI and no respawning enemies but at least we get easier/not so cheap Veteran. :p

snack

Net_Wrecker said:
Does that mean purely leaderboards will go back to 0, or will ranks/unlocked stuff be reset as well? I guess if you reset stats, that would mean all unlocks get reset too right?

Yeah, all your unlocks will be gone too.

ZZMitch

Strider2K99 said:
From most impressions here, PS3 version sounds fine, other than possible trophy glitches. That might need a patch.

Also, I don't see why Best Buy wouldn't allow you to switch preorders, these places should have tons of copies of the game, the demand is too great for them not to have enough copies.

Alright, PS3 doesn't support cross game chat though right? Not a big deal, just something I was wondering...

And how long are the times exclusives for the map packs?

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
I'm upset cause already 4-5 people on my friends list already got the game early and I'm waiting on Amazon. But the $20 gift card is too good to pass up.
Same here. My wait'll be a bit longer with super saver shipping but oh well. :D

Truant said:

There was this one mission that seemed pretty open, in that there was no strict path you had to follow. Then I got to the 'Hold X to place charges' and it was good old 2003 again.

And no, there were no 'slowdowns', but the framerate did drop a few places, quite noticeably at one time. It didn't impact the gameplay really, but I felt it.
Uh-oh. :( I thought that was gonna be taken care of?

kuYuri

ZZMitch said:
Alright, PS3 doesn't support cross game chat though right? Not a big deal, just something I was wondering...

And how long are the times exclusives for the map packs?

No it doesn't, but neither does the 360 version. Only like 3 playlists allow cross game party chat (not counting 1 on 1 private chat).

The map exclusivity period is unknown, but it's supposed to be pretty short.

No_Style said:
Were their slowdowns or something? I'm not trying to make it a big deal, but it'd be surprising if there were framerate drops in SP.
There's slowdown on occasion in SP. I remember one scene in particular early in the game that dropped to 25ish for a few seconds... BUTTT I'm certain it's like that for the 360 as well, because
the screen is enveloped in smoke/dust (obscene amount of volumetric fog)
. You don't have control of your character at that point so it doesn't matter, anyway.

Then, just now, I had a bit of a framerate hit in the snowmobile section. Again, totally understandable.
Aside from those two, I haven't noticed any other framerate problems.

On another note, just completed a mission again to attempt to get the Trophy... no go. Any word on that, Calen? :(

h4k said:
Yeah, it's a sure thing. Everyone should be on a level playing field come release day, so it definately makes sense to reset the stats.

http://modernwarfare247.com/news/leaderboard-reset-at-launch
Wait, they specifically mention the 360 in that and pirates... there are no pirates on the PS3 playing the game.
Does that still apply to us?? D:

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Truant said:

Ugh, can't believe they still have that infinite bullshit.

d0c_zaius

Yea I was surprised about the respawning enemies as well, since they went out of their way to address the issue in the press.

I noticed the more I played tactically, the more enemies would just spawn and eventually the game just got annoying (like parts in old SP CoD campaigns). However if I just made a mad rush to the objective, my support NPCs followed quickly and enemy spawn density seemed to lighten. Kinda disappointing, but Im only 40% through the game so far. It seemed to reward bullrushing into gunfights and getting lucky with cover rather than being slow and tactical.

As for the controversial mission, Ive already had some discussions with people here at work, and my opinion of it being nothing but a shock gimmic (and a bad one at that) has gotten some people upset lol.

EDIT:Wow after reading those IW quotes below, the feeling I got from the game is exactly opposite of what he describes. Maybe its just the way I play COD games, I dunno........I didnt wait to kill enemies for hours, but the "feeling" of infinite respawns was definitely there.

Mrbob

Truant said:

Wat. I could have sworn I read IW said they would address this issue with MW2. :/

ZZMitch

Strider2K99 said:
No it doesn't, but neither does the 360 version. Only like 3 playlists allow cross game party chat (not counting 1 on 1 private chat).

The map exclusivity period is unknown, but it's supposed to be pretty short.

Ok, thanks for the help!

To anyone that is having a problem with installing trophies on the PS3 version. When you first boot don't download the 1.01 update. That update stops trophies from being installed. IW will probably push 1.02 on the release day. If you have already updated to 1.01 just exit to your XMB and delete the MWF2 game data and reboot the game. Your trophies will now install. Enjoy! :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
yes we can said:
To anyone that is having a problem with installing trophies on the PS3 version. When you first boot don't download the 1.01 update. That update stops trophies from being installed. IW will probably push 1.02 on the release day. If you have already updated to 1.01 just exit to your XMB and delete the MWF2 game data and reboot the game. Your trophies will now install. Enjoy! :D

Why prevent trophies? Do trophies unlock anything?

Sounds like a dick move. Just let people enjoy their games.

yes we can said:
But... I got a few trophies already, WITH the update installed.

When I went to multiplayer and came back to singleplayer, they stopped working/unlocking.

tHoMNZ

fourtwozero is a lying retard. I couldn't believe seeing a MTV video where he effectively says 9vs9 > XvsX 100ms ping > 30 ms ping not playing in communities > playing in communities

I'm sure he's just a shill and says whatever he needs to get payed, but fuck him

Calen

Wario64 said:
Why prevent trophies? Do trophies unlock anything?

Sounds like a dick move. Just let people enjoy their games.
It's not intentional. There was a bug with the first PS3 update we pushed that has a timing issue that means on some game boots trophies aren't granted. The bug is already fixed, but I don't have an ETA on when that update can be pushed - we're trying to get it out there ASAP.

Calen said:
It's not intentional. There was a bug with the first PS3 update we pushed that has a timing issue that means on some game boots trophies aren't granted. The bug is already fixed, but I don't have an ETA on when that update can be pushed - we're trying to get it out there ASAP.
Thanks for the update. Let us know when it's on it's way, please.
I'm staying away from SP til that update is out.

Mrbob

Papercuts said:

What is up with F02? Is there anything that is coming out of his mouth that is trustworthy? He is making Randy Pitchford look like a saint.

I know he works in PR, in which they normally stretch the truth. Flat out lieing is another thing. Disappointing. But this is not the thread for that so onward to more MW2 impressions!

Zeliard said:
I dunno about infinite respawns, but the game does overwhelm you with dudes everywhere, shooting at you from every angle. The AI just kind of "homes in" on you, and sometimes it feels very, very cheap,especially if you're a lover of AI driven gunfights. Like in Halo, usually when I die, it's because I've been soundly beaten by the Convenant, I feel like they've worked for their kill, they've earned it. In CoD, I've never ever had that feeling from any game in the franchise, when I die, it's because I dont know where the AI spawns from.

Eric WK

Mrbob said:
What is up with F02? Is there anything that is coming out of his mouth that is trustworthy? He is making Randy Pitchford look like a saint.

I know he works in PR, in which they normally stretch the truth. Flat out lieing is another thing. Disappointing. But this is not the thread for that so onward to more MW2 impressions!

Uh, I don't know that he's lying at all.

I'm roughly halfway through on Veteran and enemies are absolutely not infinitely respawning. Yes, you still need to advance at a fair pace and yes it can be overwhelming, but they aren't infinitely respawning.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Calen said:
It's not intentional. There was a bug with the first PS3 update we pushed that has a timing issue that means on some game boots trophies aren't granted. The bug is already fixed, but I don't have an ETA on when that update can be pushed - we're trying to get it out there ASAP but be sure to buy MW2 on X360 at Wal-Mart at midnight because it is the best way to play MW2.
fixed

No_Style said:

Why? There has been in every other console COD (especially the PS3 versions), I'm sure this one is no different.

cameltoe

Eric WK said:
Uh, I don't know that he's lying at all.

I'm roughly halfway through on Veteran and enemies are absolutely not infinitely respawning. Yes, you still need to advance at a fair pace and yes it can be overwhelming, but they aren't infinitely respawning.

this is true....but the will occasionally spawn behind you to move you forward.

Zeliard said:

No series has evolved in terms of SP gameplay as little as COD. This is the 7th iteration and it seems to be the same old shit we were doing in the original back in 2003.

It always annoyed me that COD games punish you for playing smart and actually encourage you for rushing in all dumb Rambo styley. Once you figure out how the games work they can become ridiculously tedious and just a case of pot luck.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
someone make a new thread, because I'm too lazy:

"When Bowling lies, gamer cries"

Eric WK

cameltoe said:
this is true....but the will occasionally spawn behind you to move you forward.

Haven't experienced much of that yet. It's seemed like everytime I've gotten caught in an area and had to kill enemies to progress, that once they were eliminated I could move forward fairly freely. Of course, as soon as I hit the next trigger point more would spawn, even on the sides and in spots where I wasn't expecting.

But yeah, the Call of Duty formula for making the campaign difficult still feels kind of cheap and frustrating.

AnIco

I hope review scores for this game take into account the weak single player campaign. IW has had a long time to try and refine the gameplay of CoD and make it better. Sadly, they lied about making any changes whatsoever. The fact that infinitely spawning enemies is still in this game just shows how dated it is. That shit should not be a major component in any modern title.

Top Bottom