• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

brain_stew said:
Why? There has been in every other console COD (especially the PS3 versions), I'm sure this one is no different.
The PS3 versions drops frames, (I can feel my controls getting less responsive when it does) but I doubt it's ever going below 40.

DoomGyver

Papercuts said:
2vumyia.jpg

That's gold Jerry, GOLD!

J-Rzez

Mrbob said:
What is up with F02? Is there anything that is coming out of his mouth that is trustworthy? He is making Randy Pitchford look like a saint.

I know he works in PR, in which they normally stretch the truth. Flat out lieing is another thing. Disappointing. But this is not the thread for that so onward to more MW2 impressions!

Perhaps IW took a training class in PR-lies from another dev under the activsion name, Blizzard 101 indeed.

Eric WK

AnIco said:
I hope review scores for this game take into account the weak single player campaign. IW has had a long time to try and refine the gameplay of CoD and make it better. Sadly, they lied about making any changes whatsoever. The fact that infinitely spawning enemies is still in this game just shows how dated it is. That shit should not be a major component in any modern title.

I've had multiple situations in which I've been pinned down in an area, taken my time, killed all of the enemies I could, and then been able to progress without any problem. I haven't finished the game and there are areas where more than one wave of enemies will attack, but the enemies are not infinitely respawning. I spent hours on the ferris wheel and final corridor parts in Call of Duty 4; I know why people complain about this. But it's simply not there from what I've seen.

Omikron

AnIco said:
I hope review scores for this game take into account the weak single player campaign. IW has had a long time to try and refine the gameplay of CoD and make it better. Sadly, they lied about making any changes whatsoever. The fact that infinitely spawning enemies is still in this game just shows how dated it is. That shit should not be a major component in any modern title.

I guarantee they won't... they will laud it as cinematic FPS action at its best. ;)

cameltoe

Eric WK said:
I've had multiple situations in which I've been pinned down in an area, taken my time, killed all of the enemies I could, and then been able to progress without any problem. I haven't finished the game and there are areas where more than one wave of enemies will attack, but the enemies are not infinitely respawning. I spent hours on the ferris wheel and final corridor parts in Call of Duty 4; I know why people complain about this. But it's simply not there from what I've seen.

eric did you update MW2 today?

Like I said, I really doubt that the AI infinitely respawns. The more critical issue is the fact that every time I die, I feel like it's because I dont know where the AI spawning from...and that's maddening.
I feel the exact opposite in AI driven shooters, I die because I've been out maneuvered and 'outsmarted, which is not frustrating at all, that makes me want to keep playing and try a fundamentally different approach.

theignoramus said:
The PS3 versions drops frames, (I can feel my controls getting less responsive when it does) but I doubt it's ever going below 40.

Oh, I'm sure it has a decent framerate but the idea that its going to be a constant 60fps all the time and that any of the earlier games were either is simply not true.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Calen said:
Yeah, this kind of thing when I am sticking my neck out to get you guys information is really not helpful.
Just having a little fun. But you guys have shown close to nothing as far as gameplay video of the PS3 version, your relationship with MSFT is clearly established, and now a glitch with trophies surfaces. Don't tell me you are suprised that the perception might form that you didn't put the same efforts towards the PS3 version (or PC) as you did with the X360?

JB1981

Man ... I haven't been into multiplayer much lately and I'm seriously considering passing on this game. I'm sure the hype will get to me but there is virtually nothing about the singleplayer campaign that has me interested. Not after hearing that it's the same old COD.

Eric WK

cameltoe said:
eric did you update MW2 today?

Yeah, I updated this morning but I only played single player before work. Didn't notice anything.

JB1981 said:
Man ... I haven't been into multiplayer much lately and I'm seriously considering passing on this game. I'm sure the hype will get to me but there is virtually nothing about the singleplayer campaign that has me interested. Not after hearing that it's the same old COD.

I'm primarily a multiplayer guy and wasn't really looking forward to the campaign, but it's very, very good so far.

JB1981 said:
No.
There are about a half dozen cool setpiece moments in the campaign that any fan of console shooters will appreciate. They should be experienced, because they're well done.
(I'm not including that controversial level in that number either, I didnt like that section at ALL.)
Rent it, buy it, whatever, but it should be played through at least once, it does too many cool things to just be totally neglected like it's a piece of garbage.

Eric WK

theignoramus said:
Like I said, I really doubt that the AI infinitely respawns. The more critical issue is the fact that every time I die, I feel like it's because I dont know where the AI spawning from...and that's maddening.
I feel the exact opposite in AI driven shooters, I die because I've been out maneuvered and 'outsmarted, which is not frustrating at all, that makes me want to keep playing and try a fundamentally different approach.

I completely agree.

Rayme

Those weapons should be essentially useless w/ rapid fire. That's the intention, at least.

If people start owning w/ a particular weapon + rapid-fire controllers, then more tweaks will need to be made in a patch or playlist update. But afaik there hasn't been any evidence of that yet.

And wtf @ all the "infinite respawn" SP talk. Yes; it was a big problem in CoD4, especially veteran. So a lot of design effort went into correcting it for MW2. The game reflects that, imo. And the AI that _do_ spawn in are far more tricky this time. They'll back off, flank, try to cover each other; they're much harder to predict, and less mindless, than the MW1 guys were.

kuYuri

So, questions for people with the game about the party/lobby system.

1. Can you transfer party leadership to another person or is it still the whole deal of someone must back out and invite everyone else to be party leader like CoD4?

2. Can you back out of games as a party or is it still the whole party leader must back out first before everyone else backs out like CoD4?

3. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a squad system like WaW, Bad Company, etc?

Eric WK said:
I'm primarily a multiplayer guy and wasn't really looking forward to the campaign, but it's very, very good so far.
theignoramus said:
No.
There are about a half dozen cool setpiece moments in the campaign that any fan of console shooters will appreciate. They should be experienced, because they're well done.
(I'm not including that controversial level in that number either, I didnt like that section at ALL.)
Rent it, buy it, whatever, but it should be played through at least once, it does too many cool things to just be totally neglected like it's a piece of garbage.
The response so far has been mostly positive so I guess I will try it out for myself at some point. How long did it take you to complete though?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've been one of the people in this topic that's pretty negative towards the SP. I'm not retracting my opinion, but I do want to now say I've enjoyed Act II much more than act I.

Clearer objectives, better set pieces, more reasonable enemy spawning. Just a more enjoyable experience overall.

This game just doesn't open very strong, imo. We'll see how the final third is.

Edit: Also, a badass surprise awaits COD4 fans in Act II :D :D :D

I like how there's at least two people on each page asking if they'll get banned if they play early.

Doesn't hurt to go back a page or two.

I wish there was a way to see how you earned your emblems and titles other than right as you are getting them during a firefight. I just can't tell what it says a lot of the time, and when you scroll over them in the menu, it doesn't provide any info about it.

Every single mission with
Capt. Price
has been utterly bad ass. IW should design DLC entirely around flashback missions with this character, it would sell ALOT...Great character, great voice actor. I dont even think the game truly hits its stride until that character steps in.

Prezhulio said:
so can i assume there won't be custom soundtrack support for ps3?

I tried it but no dice. Sucks, but oh well. Maybe they'll be courteous and patch it in...or not. i don't know how tough it would be so maybe it's just not cost effective.

Prezhulio

djblackice said:
I tried it but no dice. Sucks, but oh well. Maybe they'll be courteous and patch it in...or not. i don't know how tough it would be so maybe it's just not cost effective.

yeah, borderlands and uncharted online didn't get it either, so i just kinda assume devs gave up completely on it, specifically games i'm going to sink a ton of time into. fucking hate the implementation of that by sony, should of made it fuckin mandatory.

i should delete the 30 gigs of music off of it but i still use it pretty regularly on wipeout and kz2.

theignoramus said:
Every single mission with
Capt. Price
has been utterly bad ass. IW should design DLC entirely around flashback missions with this character, it would sell ALOT...Great character, great voice actor. I dont even think the game truly hits its stride until that character steps in.

Yeah in the mission where he is introduced/revealed, when I figured out who that person was, I was like... Holy Shit! I didnt know he was gonna be in the game, and the way you get to meet him (the whole build up, culminating to finding out who that character is) was very well done.

Anyone that hated on the story before they played it will probably think again. It's quite self aware and well told. When the dust settles, this game will be looked at as a step forward for storytelling in video games, I think. While I can understand people taking issue with the controversial level, it really makes a whole hell of a lot sense in context of the story. It's not "emotioneering" or manipulative, it's done in a totally matter of fact manner.

Helmholtz

Question: If I buy it retail for PC, will it register through steam regardless? Ie. can I register the retail key into my steam account?
Also, it's being released on the 13th on steam, but apparently the 10th at retail? How does that work out multiplayer wise.
Only reason I'm asking this is because it's advertised as 10 dollars cheaper at bestbuy with a release date of nov. 10, but I also like steam. So I'm torn atm :lol
Edit: hmm, 49.99 in the flyer, but 59.99 on their site. Odd.

So people that have beaten the campaign....
Every playable character, expect Ramirez, the Army ranger, ends up being shot dead or seriously injured. Talk about throwing the ARRRRGHHH I AM TEH ULTIMATE SOLDIER cliche right in our fucking faces.
Bravo IW, bravo.:D

Mikey Jr.

djblackice said:

haha, patch it in. Man, you crazy. We didn't even get a rumble patch for COD4 and you're thinking they would even consider a custom music patch?

Top Bottom