• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

:lol

I never realized until I uploaded that video on how loose and dumb people's definition of camping has become. I've been playing FPS's online since Doom. I know what camping is. Playing defensively in an objective gametype =/= camping.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a little less likely to run out into a conflict I know I can't win like a total moron when I'm not playing with anybody in a party, mostly because I don't trust any randoms on my team to be good.

mxgt

Banned
Well, your team only had 1 flag and you sat by it and made no effort to take other flags.

Just looks like a boring way to play IMO.

And I know you picked it up so this isn't aimed at you, but anyone that puts a heartbeat sensor on their weapon is a certified bitch as far as I'm concerned.

MechDX

I never realized until I uploaded that video on how loose and dumb people's definition of camping has become. I've been playing FPS's online since Doom. I know what camping is. Playing defensively in an objective gametype =/= camping.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a little less likely to run out into a conflict I know I can't win like a total moron when I'm not playing with anybody in a party, mostly because I don't trust any randoms on my team to be good.

WHere are you when I play with randoms? On Kill Confirmed on Dome two nights ago my team juet kept running into this one guy on the opposing team and gave him 53 kills. 53!

Or on Domination when they take a flag and then just keep running to the next one. No one even bothers to try and actually defend a flag. So I stay and go 28-6 and in the post game lobby get called a camping douche.

Well, your team only had 1 flag and you sat by it and made no effort to take other flags.

Just looks like a boring way to play IMO.

And I know you picked it up so this isn't aimed at you, but anyone that puts a heartbeat sensor on their weapon is a certified bitch as far as I'm concerned.

Last night, I was picking up tons of guns with heartbeat sensors. It was pretty overwhelming. Even when I had one with it, I never used it. I've just never felt comfortable with the heartbeat sensors.

But don't worry dudes, I also like doing total crackhead MP7 rushdowns. I'll even things out and try to grab one of those too. :)

Fml, was having so much fun with the pc version yesterday and actually being able to aim compared to on PS3 then today I get 5 games in a row with hackers. Not just people accused of being hackers but admitting that they're hacking, and spamming some myg0t hacking site I remember from my CS days. Is the pc version normally full of hackers or is it just because of the F2P weekend?

Sure, I'll grant you that. Playing defensively when guarding an objective isn't camping; it's a strategic move. But you guarded a capture point controlled by the enemy and never attempted to take it. If the enemy already controls it, then who exactly are you guarding it from?

There needs to be an agreed upon spectrum with the far ends being:

1) Lying prone with akimbo skorpions in an area that helps no one

10) Doing the "Misery Loves Company" challenge even though you long since completed said challenge

Last night, I was picking up tons of guns with heartbeat sensors. It was pretty overwhelming. Even when I had one with it, I never used it. I've just never felt comfortable with the heartbeat sensors.

I love using it on LMGs. I tend to use it in two ways:
- stopping and pointing your gun in the direction you want to check before entering a hotspot or going around a corner
- in normal play ignoring it until you hear the beep.

It's deifnitely no rushing gun though. And unfortunately there are a couple of placement issues:

- on the LSW the very bottom isn't visible unless you are crouching or prone
- on the MK46, the callsign of whoever you kill will cover the heartbeat sensor.

Sure, I'll grant you that. Playing defensively when guarding an objective isn't camping; it's a strategic move. But you guarded a capture point controlled by the enemy and never attempted to take it. If the enemy already controls it, then who exactly are you guarding it from?

So what am I supposed to do? Rush in blindly to likely get killed by the three people watching it on the other side? That's not very smart.

So what am I supposed to do? Rush in blindly to likely get killed by the three people watching it on the other side? That's not very smart.

So if the opposition takes two flags, you're just supposed to sit there until the game ends and your team has lost?

Clearly you were only interested in kills, but that's your prerogative. I'm not going to blast you for that, a lot of people ignore the objectives in objective based games. Just don't try to put lipstick on a pig and say you were somehow serving your team by defending objectives, because you clearly weren't.

Even if it wasnt camping by your books, surely thats not how you play the game all the time? Must get really boring? If your playing solo why not play a mode like Team Deathmatch?

hamchan

*sigh* we've had this conversation before. Camping or not, if someone can go 49-1 then that someone is obviously doing something right. The two osprey gunners helps his team greatly. I'd rather a teammate play campy then be a fucking idiot like the majority of players in this game, running into the open with no thought and just dying instantly, adding to an opponent's killstreak.

*sigh* we've had this conversation before. Camping or not, if someone can go 49-1 then that someone is obviously doing something right. The two osprey gunners helps his team greatly. I'd rather a teammate play campy then be a fucking idiot like the majority of players in this game, running into the open with no thought and just dying instantly, adding to an opponent's killstreak.

His Ospreys would have helped but while he wasnt in a kill streak reward he was doing little to help his team. Sure its really useful to have a slayer on your team in objective to keep them in respawn and away from the objectives, but he wasnt doing that. Not going to lie I would rather have him on my team than someone going 10-30, but that doesnt make that gameplay youtube worthy lol.

Wow i just watched that don clip, AEE.

That's textbook camping. If you are focussed on getting kills instead of guarding or capping points in dom, then you aren't helping your team. It would have been one thing if you were moving between B and C to guard the two points (which is not to much to ask for someone using an AR) but you pretty much just stayed in the same spot with a weapon that was designed in the game for a player to actually move from point to point.

If you are going to guard one spot the entire game, then use an LMG or a sniper, not an ACR with a silencer.

Not rush into it, but maybe slowly advance toward the flag and then hide behind the boxes. It's not like B on village is one of the harder spots to cap.

And if you die, that's okay, because your death doesn't affect the score.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Wow i just watched that don clip, AEE.

That's textbook camping. If you are focussed on getting kills instead of guarding or capping points in dom, then you aren't helping your team. It would have been one thing if you were moving between B and C to guard the two points (which is not to much to ask for someone using an AR) but you pretty much just stayed in the same spot with a weapon that was designed in the game for a player to actually move from point to point.

If you are going to guard one spot the entire game, then use an LMG or a sniper, not an ACR with a silencer.

Not rush into it, but maybe slowly advance toward the flag and then hide behind the boxes. It's not like B on village is one of the harder spots to cap.

And if you die, that's okay, because your death doesn't affect the score.

This is why I never put much stock in any COD video unless it is TDM match because sitting back and killing players while they are trying to capture an objective does not take much skill. I only play TDM & Hardcore TDM.

In what sense is this a loose definition of camping? You sit in a corner while a flag is being capped right under your nose. There's no way to misinterpret that gameplay as anything but camping.

This is why I never put much stock in any COD video unless it is TDM match because sitting back and killing players while they are trying to capture an objective does not take much skill. I only play TDM & Hardcore TDM.

Another thing that made Sandy a good CoD player: The only time he posted a losing game was one where he demonstrated that he got literally the worst teammates ever in a KC game.

Meanwhile WoodysGamertag is so desperate to put out "good" videos that he'll put up videos where his team loses.

Oh yeah? I just went 25-0 playing a regular TDM on Hardhat while staying in the same general area the whole game. I bet you anything if I posted that gameplay, it would be received the exact same way. No one cares about what gametype it is. If there's anything I've learned from this thread today, if you're not running around like a total moron, you're camping.

Fantasmo

Oh yeah? I just went 25-0 playing a regular TDM on Hardhat while staying in the same general area the whole game. I bet you anything if I posted that gameplay, it would be received the exact same way. No one cares about what gametype it is. If there's anything I've learned from this thread today, if you're not running around like a total moron, you're camping.

Haters. Running the whole map will ensure the spawn system gets you killed. It's way more fun to be aggressive, but it's not very helpful for a high score game. I'd ignore them. The opposing team had every opportunity to take you out and you not only didn't buckle but you did it alone. Good gameplay man.

the other guy who has done videos here for GAF plays the same style. Why they're fucking with you and not him I dunno, but all you can do is laugh

I saw nothing impressive about that video, IMO. You can't say he was playing defensively because he wasn't defending anything, lol.

I'm sure you are a great player but this video doesn't show it. I just don't see how you can deny the fact that you were camping. Between 4:15 and 5:00 in the video, what would you call that? Defensive camping?

The last thing anyone here is doing is hating. We're just trying to understand his way of thinking.

Radec

Noone's hating anyone, we just watched the vid and said things based on his performance from the game.

I'm sure you are a good player, but that vid only says that you got lucky getting those 10 rifle kills and the rest was all done by killstreaks.

I wouldn't even call that defensive camping.
I think you only defended the B once. Then it got capped easily after.

Oh and you mean 2 Reapers?

Your last osprey launched when the enemy hits 198. lol

Haters. Running the whole map will ensure the spawn system gets you killed. It's way more fun to be aggressive, but it's not very helpful for a high score game. I'd ignore them. The opposing team had every opportunity to take you out and you not only didn't buckle but you did it alone. Good gameplay man.

the other guy who has done videos here for GAF plays the same style. Why they're fucking with you and not him I dunno, but all you can do is laugh

Are talking about me or Max, or someone else?

Max? No, he originally got buckets of shit for the way he played too in the Black Ops thread.

Fml, was having so much fun with the pc version yesterday and actually being able to aim compared to on PS3 then today I get 5 games in a row with hackers. Not just people accused of being hackers but admitting that they're hacking, and spamming some myg0t hacking site I remember from my CS days. Is the pc version normally full of hackers or is it just because of the F2P weekend?

Apparently people are hacking to get everything unlocked then buying the game as it doesn't reset. I don't seem to have bumped into too many hackers. Just played kill confirmed for most of the time.

Also, camping is valid, just immensely boring. I'll stick to running like a moron.

Well yeah it would still be camping, people would still hate on the fact that its a dull playstyle, but thats your choice, if you can do that game after game more power to you, at least in TDM your helping your team.

I do find your last sentence hilarious though, I regularly pulled like 30-3 on Black Ops with a 300+ SPM (Dont play MW3 as much, and I cant compare as theres no SPM stat), I was running and gunning but it was far from playing like a moron, if you cant think tactically while actually moving around the map that seems more moronic lol.

hamchan

Well yeah it would still be camping, people would still hate on the fact that its a dull playstyle, but thats your choice, if you can do that game after game more power to you, at least in TDM your helping your team.

I do find your last sentence hilarious though, I regularly pulled like 30-3 on Black Ops with a 300+ SPM (Dont play MW3 as much, and I cant compare as theres no SPM stat), I was running and gunning but it was far from playing like a moron, if you cant think tactically while actually moving around the map that seems more moronic lol.

Black Ops maps are much better designed and made running and gunning more viable and even preferred imo. In MW3 you kinda have to take it a bit slower to get a higher KDR.

Nizz

Does MW3 have individual stats for TDM, Domination, S&D like Black Ops did? I liked how they separated stats like K/D from TDM to Domination.

Black Ops maps are much better designed and made running and gunning more viable and even preferred imo. In MW3 you kinda have to take it a bit slower to get a higher KDR.

Agreed 100%. I loved running around with the AK74u in Black Ops a lot more than staggering around with assault rifles.

In MW3, it just feels like there are about 10 different ways for people to come up behind you without even trying to.

There's playing defensively and there's that video. You weren't even playing the objective, you ran away from it, the only thing you were protecting was your killstreak. Come on man, I'm not even going to hate how you played, you done it very well, but you can't say that was anything less than camping. You spent 7 minutes of the video in the same 10ft of area (including the 1 minute the Osprey lasts for) and around the 10:57 mark you ran away from capturing a flag because someone had fired on you instead of taking immediate cover to your left. If you had capped the flag and kept it, your team would have won.

I would rather an idiot who ran out wildly and ended a game 10-40 on my team for as long as they made a contribution to the team by getting those flags.

As one of the people who commented on your video said, that is like a tutorial video on how not to play domination.

It's like playing Demolition and seeing a guy in the lobby in the top 1000 for the game mode, but he has like 90 plants and 90 defuses and 30000 kills. I don't want that guy on my team.

Does MW3 have individual stats for TDM, Domination, S&D like Black Ops did? I liked how they separated stats like K/D from TDM to Domination.

I don't think they do, you might be able to see it on the Elite website or something but I've personally not seen it.

Black Ops did the stat tracking thing better I think anyway, even in-game. MW3 just tells you Kills, Deaths and Assists, but Black Ops caters to the game mode, telling you how many captures you've had in Domination and how many plants there have been in Demolition.

I know IW like to do their own thing, but why couldn't they have put that in their game? Grrr.

Edit: obviously you can see those capture stats in MW3 but only in the pre-game lobby, not during the game I mean!

There's playing defensively and there's that video. You weren't even playing the objective, you ran away from it, the only thing you were protecting was your killstreak. Come on man, I'm not even going to hate how you played, you done it very well, but you can't say that was anything less than camping. You spent 7 minutes of the video in the same 10ft of area (including the 1 minute the Osprey lasts for) and around the 10:57 mark you ran away from capturing a flag because someone had fired on you instead of taking immediate cover to your left. If you had capped the flag and kept it, your team would have won.

LMAO. There were four fucking people back there spraying at me with no teammates near me to help capture it. All it would take is one grenade to kill me or just two of them to come around the corner spraying. Of course I'm going to back off and wait for help instead of just lay there and say "kill me". Jesus, you people... :lol

Nizz

I don't think they do, you might be able to see it on the Elite website or something but I've personally not seen it.

Black Ops did the stat tracking thing better I think anyway, even in-game. MW3 just tells you Kills, Deaths and Assists, but Black Ops caters to the game mode, telling you how many captures you've had in Domination and how many plants there have been in Demolition.

I know IW like to do their own thing, but why couldn't they have put that in their game? Grrr.

Edit: obviously you can see those capture stats in MW3 but only in the pre-game lobby, not during the game I mean!
Yeah, that's more of what I meant. Catering to the particular game mode. I know K/D shouldn't matter in a mode like Domination but seeing that stat can (maybe subconsciously) change the way a person plays.

I should be getting my copy of MW3 next week so I guess I'll see. :)

Anyone know if you can get VAC banned for changing the FOV in MW3 PC? I'd like 85-90 instead of 65, but I don't think it's worth the risk if I may get banned for it...

Sushen

Agreed. Camping or not, there is no illegal tactic if it's allowed by the devs. Usually, campers are easy to kill and if you find yourself getting killed by campers especially more than ones by the same dude at the same spot, it's your problem. Or, most of the cases, it's someone skilled enough to control the area by playing smart.

In a game where there are several ways to access any places, that's a skill, more so than quick scopers at least. No, I don't have a skill to control areas, hence I constantly move around not to get caught by revengers. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can tell the Americans are awake when playing HQ they stop PTFOing while being in the lead to DERP DERP KILL THE ENEMY TEAM INSTEAD OF WINNING THE GAME.

And I say this as an American

Early hour mornings? Fun time in a variety of playlists without LOL KILLSTREAK LOL KILLS LOL CAMPING LOL NOT PTFOING. Yet as soon as it's Morning America time? Yeaaaah.

Now I remember why I was giddy about Barebones but Barebones in CoD8 sucks. Not enough variety in the playlist and not having a Barebones for all modes option for playlists. (Well, that and it seems everyone wants AIRSPACE IS TOO CROWDED over a good match)

Thats a pretty fair point, I think the maps are part of the reason I dont play the game as much. :(

Agreed. Camping or not, there is no illegal tactic if it's allowed by the devs. Usually, campers are easy to kill and if you find yourself getting killed by campers especially more than ones by the same dude at the same spot, it's your problem. Or, most of the cases, it's someone skilled enough to control the area by playing smart.

In a game where there are several ways to access any places, that's a skill, more so than quick scopers at least. No, I don't have a skill to control areas, hence I constantly move around not to get caught by revengers. :)

Its a video game, I could understand discussing the legalities of it if it was a sport, but its supposed to be fun, that playstyle is far from exciting lol. As for it being smart, as I said before if your not smart enough to move around the map well, your not really that smart. It takes a very small subset of those skills to simply lock an area down.

Sure in some modes you need to control an area and that can be fun, but if I had to say who impressed me more it would be the guy who can pull off that scoreline without being so defensive. Its easy to play defensively but its far from fun or skillful in my personal opinion. I also don't see the point of playing so defensively unless your doing it to artificially boost your K/D or win the game, and in objective if your playing defence without actually defending the objective its pretty clear what your doing...

Sushen

Sure in some modes you need to control an area and that can be fun, but if I had to say who impressed me more it would be the guy who can pull off that scoreline without being so defensive. Its easy to play defensively but its far from fun or skillful in my personal opinion. I also don't see the point of playing so defensively unless your doing it to artificially boost your K/D or win the game, and in objective if your playing defence without actually defending the objective its pretty clear what your doing...
you have a good point. Realistically though, all of us have moments that we camp if we use staying in one position fr a while as the definition for it.

Say, when I lost track of enemies where about especially my team is losing badly, I can just run out and get my head blown. I need to collect my thoughts and develop strategy before running off.

What I'm saying is that there are few who start to end camping, they tend to suck pretty badly btw, but also rest of us who camp occassionally under the circumstance. Because of it, it's not easy to label someone.

you have a good point. Realistically though, all of us have moments that we camp if we use staying in one position fr a while as the definition for it.

Say, when I lost track of enemies where about especially my team is losing badly, I can just run out and get my head blown. I need to collect my thoughts and develop strategy before running off.

What I'm saying is that there are few who start to end camping, they tend to suck pretty badly btw, but also rest of us who camp occassionally under the circumstance. Because of it, it's not easy to label someone.

Thats apples and oranges though. If you see enemies, then pick a nice spot to kill them as they come round the corner. Your there for what maybe 10 seconds? If you know your in a bad position and moving is going to get you killed your still there for what maybe 30 seconds till a opportunity to escape pops up? Those situations happen maybe twice a match. If your going to pick a area of the map to defend because you know its a high traffic area, be honest, are you just staring at a window and a door or are you actually defending a significant bit of real estate on the map? On some maps it makes sense to hold down a specific area, but that doesn't just mean your only traversing around a tiny 20 meter squared spot on the map.

Of course there are times when it makes sense to stay still somewhere, but at its extreme your never stuck somewhere for longer than a few minutes at most. If your honestly telling me that it still makes sense to watch that specific spot on the map rather than try and move and flank where the action has moved to then I just dont see how you can justify that. In that video him staying where he stayed didn't make sense unless he was just there for his K/D ratio.

So yeah while the definition of camping is hard to define and isnt black and white, its pretty easy to know where you sit on the scale if you analyse why your staying in a spot.

LMAO. There were four fucking people back there spraying at me with no teammates near me to help capture it. All it would take is one grenade to kill me or just two of them to come around the corner spraying. Of course I'm going to back off and wait for help instead of just lay there and say "kill me". Jesus, you people... :lol

5-7 seconds it takes to capture an objective, and behind those barrels you would have had the cover you needed. You could have won the game for your team! But instead of going into a confrontation where you could easily pick off each opponent one by one by coming out of cover slowly, you opted to run away to protect a meaningless streak. And let's face it, it was meaningless.

Top Bottom