• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare |OT| Zero Dank Thirty

McCheese

it's a bit surreal, the last CoD I played before this was the original Modern Warfare (aka Call of Duty 4), so I've been on a 12 years hiatus. I didn't even remember Crash was a CoD4 map, but within 30 seconds of playing it again, it all just popped back into memory! I was running around like I never stopped playing it, re-enacting all my old cubby hole tricks etc, getting the good sniping spots etc.

As someone who is pretty average at the best of times, having my K/D go from 0.9 to 1.2 just thanks to Crash 24/7 has been great fun, at least until the newbies learn how to play it and put me back in my place.

It's also scary that somehow this random game map I played 12 years ago was just dormant in my memory all that time.

Last edited:
I think Shoothouse is a better map than Crash. Sucks they've replaced it. They've also added 25 doors to Crash because we have to save the campers.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Just an FYI on my earlier posts, I had mentioned I just doubled dipped on MW and bought first on X and now on Pro. Played on Pro for the first time last night.

I have a Samsung 75 inch 4K HDR TV for reference.

My takeaway thoughts.. The biggest positive on the Pro is the performance, whether it be in game or the lobby menu, there is no stuttering like the X. But... With the Pro version there are a few negatives. Mimicking the same audio settings through my surround sound and in game between Pro and X, the sound quality on the X is way above the Pro, it's really noticeable switching between the two.

The other thing is the resolution, again with exact same settings between the two games, you can notice for multiplayer the map textures are sharper and more refined on the X, it was definitely noticeable. Playing on the X, it looks like a new engine, on the Pro it truly just felt like another COD because of the textures from the lower resolution.

I believe on the Pro, it's also missing some graphical effects, like particles in the air and smoke etc. in the maps, this def surprised me.

Lastly going from playing from Day 1 on the X with my elite controller going to the DS4 controller on Pro was a huuge step down. It took a lot of getting used to and it was horrible. This is coming from a previous Sony Fanboy. The X is my first Xbox console so I'm very used to the PS controller.

Obviously if you only have a PlayStation, you are not going to know these differences but overall the X is a much better experience. The biggest downside I have on the X is I have an issue where chat audio simply does not work. MY friends are also on PlayStation so I'm completely torn if I had to choose one now! This is the one time that I've felt it sucks to own both lead consoles and would rather not have the option to know what the other is like. Double dipping was probably a mistake for the sake of my own sanity!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Hmmm so I have 1100 COD points already. I guess the battlepass is free for me. Last I looked I only had 500.

I like how they made a new cutscene to introduce the new operatives and Crash.

jaysius

Banned
Just an FYI on my earlier posts, I had mentioned I just doubled dipped on MW and bought first on X and now on Pro. Played on Pro for the first time last night.

I have a Samsung 75 inch 4K HDR TV for reference.

My takeaway thoughts.. The biggest positive on the Pro is the performance, whether it be in game or the lobby menu, there is no stuttering like the X. But... With the Pro version there are a few negatives. Mimicking the same audio settings through my surround sound and in game between Pro and X, the sound quality on the X is way above the Pro, it's really noticeable switching between the two.

The other thing is the resolution, again with exact same settings between the two games, you can notice for multiplayer the map textures are sharper and more refined on the X, it was definitely noticeable. Playing on the X, it looks like a new engine, on the Pro it truly just felt like another COD because of the textures from the lower resolution.

I believe on the Pro, it's also missing some graphical effects, like particles in the air and smoke etc. in the maps, this def surprised me.

Lastly going from playing from Day 1 on the X with my elite controller going to the DS4 controller on Pro was a huuge step down. It took a lot of getting used to and it was horrible. This is coming from a previous Sony Fanboy. The X is my first Xbox console so I'm very used to the PS controller.

Obviously if you only have a PlayStation, you are not going to know these differences but overall the X is a much better experience. The biggest downside I have on the X is I have an issue where chat audio simply does not work. MY friends are also on PlayStation so I'm completely torn if I had to choose one now! This is the one time that I've felt it sucks to own both lead consoles and would rather not have the option to know what the other is like. Double dipping was probably a mistake for the sake of my own sanity!

Get a Brooks X One, use your Xbox controller on the PS4, switch, android, no problem, also has decent battery life.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hmmm so I have 1100 COD points already. I guess the battlepass is free for me. Last I looked I only had 500.

I like how they made a new cutscene to introduce the new operatives and Crash.

Yeah. No idea where ingot 1100 points but I said might as well and bought the pass.

Connxtion

I did the magic trick and it worked. Hard reset solves everything

It’s weird that you can’t manually check for updates like the PS4. The servers are about to explode too, I can feel it while downloading the update. Speed is acting weird and now not downloading at all
Normally I press the guide then start on the my games button and pick refresh. This will show updated if any are available.

Battlefield fanboy here who took the MW Groundwar hype bait: they should rename the mode to Camper Convention or TDM 32x32 mode. I had high hopes for Port but its more of the same. At least the regular modes are plenty fun.

Shmunter

Battlefield fanboy here who took the MW Groundwar hype bait: they should rename the mode to Camper Convention or TDM 32x32 mode. I had high hopes for Port but its more of the same. At least the regular modes are plenty fun.
Yeah, I just don’t enjoy these sorts of big matches. You feel insignifican and everyone seems to be playing their own game with no purpose.

They’re pretty dumb for not building the whole thing around a Rush mode...aka what made Bad Company the last good BF. At least for my taste.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Yeah, I just don’t enjoy these sorts of big matches. You feel insignifican and everyone seems to be playing their own game with no purpose.

They’re pretty dumb for not building the whole thing around a Rush mode...aka what made Bad Company the last good BF. At least for my taste.
Ground War is fun when you’re playing it without imagining that it’s Battlefield

Gerdav

Just played some Crash 24/7 for a hour and after the initial hype of last night I have to say the changes to Crash really have made it a worse map, that new area effectively behind the garage with the dumpster as well as the addition of doors everywhere are a huge negative, IW haven’t brought a tent for campers they have brought a luxury campsite with a lodge, full maid service and a concierge, I’m almost certain that Vacant is going to get the same door treatment now, but I’m eagerly anticipating what they have managed to conceive to fuck Shipment up.

On a positive note I have been using the Holger-26 for the last hour and have loved it, once you get over the slow ADS and movement.

Gerdav

I'm sure they'll manage to shoehorn in some safe spaces and doors to Shipment somehow.

I would bet the house on it, I’m more and more convinced that what makes this game almost great and has me keeping coming back is by fluke rather than design, Just give them enough time to implement the fixes so the game really represents their vision.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
SBMM. Mini map. Footsteps.
That is not an issue. Unless you mean fixing so you can't drop your skill rating by killing yourself so you can play against Noobs
Yeah it should say and only go up so it forces you to play better instead whining.

That is not an issue. Unless you mean fixing so you can't drop your skill rating by killing yourself so you can play against Noobs
Yeah it should say and only go up so it forces you to play better instead whining.
What?? It's probably the biggest issue in the game. We can't stay in lobbies because of it. We can't vote on maps because of it. We have no idea if we're improving because of it. And, yes, reverse boosting.

Why are you afraid to go into a lobby with random players?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why are you afraid to go into a lobby with random players?
That makes zero sense, based on what you said you'll always be thrown into rooms with random players that match your skill.
Which isn't the case as I've played the same people a few times.
Sounds like you afraid of random players that skill match or surpass yours
Prefer to stick in a room full of Noobs until they leave the game.?
I don't know, I don't have any problems with it
Everyone drops, just some more then others
I like the challenge

Oh so the new operator is a cosplayer?
inYC-76tVkW46LI4IFELrdxBUnZ1eNABMqC2bqDvZsA.jpg
DO3g5_kX0AEyDRl.jpg
2b5b7c488198129d783e63fb66af5236.jpg

Nice

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned

True skill based matchmaking is a mirage. As it is, the game basically pairs you with players who have the same KD in their last five games with you. The challenge from game to game drastically swings for me from struggling to get kills to earning chopper gunners and AC-130s. It's just not optimal. You should see how you consistently rank against the field and notice progression.

Last edited:
'Random' means exactly that. They don't necessarily match your skill. They might match it. They might be worse. Or they might be ten times better than you. If you have no problem with that, then why does SBMM need to be in the game? I get the impression you have no idea what SBMM actually is.

Last edited:
What happened there? You reverse boosted just a game or a couple?
Nah, like I posted above, I got pissed off with the camping and decided to just run and gun with the P90 during a session. Went okay, until an epic 5-24 on Picadilly, because let's face it, when you run anywhere on that map you get shot in the back from 15 different directions. Went back on this evening and it was like I was playing against bots.

gioGAF

I don't know if the recent double xp event warped my perception or if IW/Activision changed something, but the Season 1 leveling seems SUPER slow compared to before.

Silly me, I thought leveling with the Battle Pass was going to be on par with reaching 155, not some ridiculous slog. I played quite a bit to get to 155, I also made heavy use of the double xp holiday. I barely got to 155 before the reset and this feels MUCH slower. There is no way someone will get through this without playing all day or caving in and paying.

ESPOMAN

I got the disc yesterday morning and it was a 11 hour download. So after work I go to play it and got another 3 hour update lol. So today after work I go to play it and got another 30 minute update and it’s been copying to the hard drive for like 30 minutes. I don’t think it’s meant to be.

PSYGN

I don't know if the recent double xp event warped my perception or if IW/Activision changed something, but the Season 1 leveling seems SUPER slow compared to before.

Silly me, I thought leveling with the Battle Pass was going to be on par with reaching 155, not some ridiculous slog. I played quite a bit to get to 155, I also made heavy use of the double xp holiday. I barely got to 155 before the reset and this feels MUCH slower. There is no way someone will get through this without playing all day or caving in and paying.

I did the exact same thing before the first patch on Piccadilly. At the end of the day I wasn't really enjoying the game with having to play it so slow so I tried forcing my aggressive play style on the worst map for it. Kinda felt bad because our team almost won somehow. I don't remember having an easy game afterwards but I was also playing with my brother who's equally good (we're around 4kd high spm in other CoDs) and did well so I probably didn't get to experience that kind of lobby.

We're back to playing Apex even though it also has SBMM. Either they tone down the SBMM or make rushing more viable with lower footsteps and dead silence as perk before I give the game another try.

Last edited:

Connxtion

I tried it just now since a new patch dropped and unfortunately it did nothing
Did you highlight the updates tab? When you do you will see it load (spinning animation) and this is when updates will appear.

Works for me, when I check for updates usually they appear if I have been on a while. But I guess it may only refresh updates that have been pushed to the console already but aren’t showing yet? (My console is set to instant on, but it doesn’t always update games)

GenericUser

It is an issue. I’m hoping to casual/quick play to chill and have quick games then get off. SBMM ONLY belongs in ranked
Correct. I'm not against sbmm but it doesn't fit the cod formula. Cod was always casual fun, stomp, get stomped, repeat. You could try out all sorts of hillarious gadgets, weapons and tactics to gain the upper hand and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. This kind of sbmm in mw though, forced me to play the meta game (best guns, best perks and so on). There is little to no room for experimentation and thus the game feels repetetive and ultimately boring.

I booted up the game yesterday and I saw that I need to play this season to lvl 31 to gain access to the new guns, but I really don't feel like it. I already know that I will get punished when I'm doing good and I will get thrown in the sweatiest lobbies possible. The devs need to address this. I don't wanna pub stomp noobs, but I want some room to breath and try out different things in the game without going 2/24 every round.

Kagey K

Banned

I noticed last night it felt much slower to level as well. Not sure if it’s because of the double XP or they upped the XP required.

Gerdav

Nah, like I posted above, I got pissed off with the camping and decided to just run and gun with the P90 during a session. Went okay, until an epic 5-24 on Picadilly, because let's face it, when you run anywhere on that map you get shot in the back from 15 different directions. Went back on this evening and it was like I was playing against bots.

And I bet your paying for those games big time now, expect to go 3-40 before you know it.

I really have to wonder what whoever at IW that are making these decisions are taking if they legitimately think it’s having a positive effect on the game.

Mista

Banned
Did you highlight the updates tab? When you do you will see it load (spinning animation) and this is when updates will appear.

Works for me, when I check for updates usually they appear if I have been on a while. But I guess it may only refresh updates that have been pushed to the console already but aren’t showing yet? (My console is set to instant on, but it doesn’t always update games)
Honestly no. I just pressed the guide, highlighted games and apps and clicked refresh

Mista

Banned
Modern Warfare Season 1 patch hidden changes (patch 1.10 & 1.11):

Patch 1.10 (Season 1 patch):

• Spawn in animation has been re-enabled as of patch 1.11
  • Increased XP necessary to rank up
  • FAL Fire Rate decreased
  • Increased Ground War vehicle spawn rate (can’t confirm nor deny)
  • Changed EOD Hack duration (video credit to Childish Lemonade)
  • Added Arklov Peak to Cyber Attack
  • Added Grind and Capture the Flag to leaderboards (will probably be released as gamemodes during Season 1)
  • Reduced MG34 damage (can’t confirm nor deny)
  • Added new class layouts in Gunfight
  • Added PlayStation exclusive challenges
  • VLK Optic no longer increases ADS speed on some weapons
  • Adjusted the damage bars for the M91 and PKM (original patch notes didn’t mention which LMGs)
  • Possible change to precision aim setting, but could be a bug
  • Added St. Petrograd to Survival Mode
  • Added ‘Operation Just Reward’
  • Added Atrium and Cargo to Gunfight
  • Added Reinforce, Grind, Infected and Gun Game in private matches
  • Removed Grazna Raid from 6v6 domination
  • Added Arklov Peak to HC Domination
  • Added new trials (don’t know how much or which ones)
  • Sticking a thermite to a riot shield will result in a kill, both with and without EOD on
  • Decreased Oden damage (at least in Spec Ops), might have increased recoil as well
  • Added new animation when calling in a nuke
  • Increased AK47 recoil (can’t confirm nor deny)
  • Adjusted cruise missile sensitivity (can’t confirm nor deny)
  • Added two new Classic Spec Ops missions (Pitch Black & Grounded)
Patch 1.11:
  • I guess this patch is mainly small bug fixes, as I can’t seem to find any adjustments besides store items.
  • Improved stability on Ground War matches
  • Re-enabled the spawn-in animation/birds eye camera in all gamemodes except Hardpoint/Headquarters

INC

2v2 still the only mode worth playing tbh

If I wanna play the normal maps, I'd rather chill and play bots, at least i dont have to deal with the standard cod bullshit

Top Bottom