• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

StuBurns

Banned
acura said:
I don't see the point of porting a real game to a console for kids.
How long did you have to wait to gain the account you're going to lose so quickly?
GTFO with the flaming shit. The Wii has sold to a lot more adults than whatever your console of choice is.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Asmodai said:
Could they do anything to prevent you from liking this game? They could make the character models stick figures and the game in black and white and you'd still buy it, wouldn't you?:lol

You know, by buying stuff without any effort put into it, you're supporting the idea that devs don't need to bother putting effort into Wii ports.

Would_You_Honestly_Play_This.png

I can't believe I actually bothered doing this, but here you go. With waggle included. Stick figures do not make appropriate bullet fodder.

SmokyDave

Jangaroo said:

I can't believe I actually bothered doing this, but here you go. With waggle included. Stick figures do not make appropriate bullet fodder.

Not only would I play that, I'd pre-order the LE and collect it at midnight. Top work!

gamingeek

Truth be told I'm hesitant to post in this thread as the reactions and replies have been so OTT so far.

Do I think the screens are shit? Hell yes.

The previews though all say that the engine is improved over WaW and that the texture resolution is higher and it has better effects though so I want to see it in motion and read some reviews. I distinctly remember the first WaW wii shots being shitty too and the end game looked better, assuming you weren't playing it on an HDTV with bad scaling.

It was doing some good things, very large streaming environments with no loading, tons of on screen characters and a lot of action. Granted there were some ugly textures here and there, lots of slowdown in places but generally I liked the way it looked and played apart from the laggy ADS aiming.

Don't forget that the Wii version of that game has like an average rating of 84%. What encourages me about this MW port (despite its shitty screens) is the news that they are improving the controls to match the Conduit (boring shooter, great controls). IR controls are important to me and I generally only play FPS with this control input other than Halo.

If, as the previews say, the engine is improved over WaW, I might consider picking it up.

peleliu_-_squademate_attack-640x.jpg

I really think it looked pretty good in motion and was a decent production. Check out this video:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14222041/call-of-duty-5/videos/CODWAW-3.html

And no I'm not comparing it to 360/PS3 versions.

Jangaroo said:

I would definitely play a game that looks like this!! Eduardo artstyle brought to 3D - pencil shading and static fuzz!!!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
VASPER said:
Thank you sir, glad i am going down in history for the worst face ever :lol

It needs Craig's Bond in a Ghilli Suit next to you, though. :lol

baultista

Banned
It looks like they just ported the entire game + engine to the Wii, then removed all of the shaders and PPEs while gimping the textures and models until they could meet performance requirements. It may look like shit, but it should at least play like CoD 4 did.

This is a cash grab by the publisher (and possibly the developer too). If they were to go and put some effort into tailoring an engine for the Wii and then rebuilding the game content FOR that engine they might be able to get something that looks good out of it.

Then again, that would cost time and money... neither of which the devs/publishers seem to be willing to spend on this game.

baultista said:
It looks like they just ported the entire game + engine to the Wii, then removed all of the shaders and PPEs while gimping the textures and models until they could meet performance requirements. It may look like shit, but it should at least play like CoD 4 did.

I agree: it looks like the lowest settings on the PC version. AA? Nope. Shadows? Low.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
brain_stew said:
Its no where near the lowest settings on PC, not even close. Neither was World at War.
eh, no. the only thing missing from these screens that's in the lowest PC settings is the shaders, because the shaders HAVE to be on, even on the lowest settings, so of course it looks better on low on the PC, as shaders are THE defining factor of this generation. it's what UE3 is based on. i would hope they spend the next 12 months reprogramming the shaders for the TEV and figuring out how to light it better, if they haven't done so this time.

i do hope they manage to put in the lighting by the end though...

hellclerk

sorry, for the double post, but i thought i would post the IGN feature about the lack of Wii Speak support for the lulz

http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1016927p1.html
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Wii was playable for the first time during GamesCom and we learned a great deal about what to expect from the shooter. All game modes, perks, and challenges are in, and with only a minor player cut – 10 total, for five-on-five play – Treyarch is obviously out to trump its World at War effort on Wii. The visuals have seen a bump, the same co-op offering from World at War makes a return, and Treyarch is working with a great piece of source material in COD4.

There's one major downside though, and it comes with the news of no Wii Speak support for the shooter. World at War released last year with no voice support, but it was also during the launch of Wii Speak, so we were to assume developers had little to no exposure to the technology at the time. With Call of Duty 4, however – the biggest shooter since Halo, and one that stresses team play and objective-based multiplayer – the lack of Wii Speak is a huge issue to look at. It sounds like the decision was made to make sure 10 players could rock the multiplayer maps with no technical issues – a lot has been said on Conduit's sometimes-sketchy multiplayer stability, which includes Wii Speak – but is that a worthy trade-off or excepted excuse for lack of voice chat?
:lol

hellclerk

Stoney Mason said:
I read that link earlier and the whole thing sounded a bit better than I thought it would. I'm still curious to see it in motion despite the pretty bad earlier screens. If it runs as well as WaW did, that may not be the highest bar but at least it's consistent with their prior output.
well, mucky as the game is, it's still CoD4, so no matter how it looks, it'll still play like a dream.

doomed1 said:
well, mucky as the game is, it's still CoD4, so no matter how it looks, it'll still play like a dream.

Well mainly I was impressed that although minor there actually do seem to be some improvements over WaW on Wii. My initial sort of disgust was based on those early screens sort of giving the impression that it would be potentially worse. I'll sort of hold off judging any more until I see some video.

hellclerk

Stoney Mason said:
Well mainly I was impressed that although minor there actually do seem to be some improvements over WaW on Wii. My initial sort of disgust was based on those early screens sort of giving the impression that it would be potentially worse. I'll sort of hold off judging any more until I see some video.
indeed, that cammo shot is really unfortunate. honestly though, for my desire, they have the model lighting pretty down from WaW, all they have to do is to prebake the most of the unnatural lighting and put in a single for natural lighting conditions like with the thunder and lighting stuff, which they could largely preset as is, considering how scripted the game ends up being. good lighting could really improve the game in many people's eyes, and we know it's more than possible too, so it's really a matter of taking the time to program it.

doomed1 said:
indeed, that cammo shot is really unfortunate. honestly though, for my desire, they have the model lighting pretty down from WaW, all they have to do is to prebake the most of the unnatural lighting and put in a single for natural lighting conditions like with the thunder and lighting stuff, which they could largely preset as is, considering how scripted the game ends up being. good lighting could really improve the game in many people's eyes, and we know it's more than possible too, so it's really a matter of taking the time to program it.

Even some of the other improvements were good. For instance host migration. Which was one of my biggest gripes with COD 4 and Waw on the 360 has been fixed apparently which is nice because that was highly annoying on the other console versions. A rather small thing that actually ends up being a big thing.

hellclerk

Stoney Mason said:
Even some of the other improvements were good. For instance host migration. Which was one of my biggest gripes with COD 4 and Waw on the 360 has been fixed apparently which is nice because that was highly annoying on the other console versions. A rather small thing that actually ends up being a big thing.
yeah, it's nice that the lobby won't just suddenly close on me after playing the last two minutes of a game like it does in WaW. though i kind of wish there was Wii speak support, as i don't really mind 8 players. either way, it's looking to be fun. i look forward to playing with modern weaponry, since to me it's far more interesting...

donny2112

markatisu said:
Not sure if this was posted but apparently its another test for Wii owners (COD 3 and COD WaW success never happened :lol )

I take that as they want to make sure the audience is still there before committing to MW2. If MW1 sells at least as well as WaW, I think MW2 is a shoe-in for Wii.

Basically, they probably view the Wii audience as uncertain, so they want to make sure that each step is secure before committing to the next one. Also, Modern Warfare is going to basically be its own series, after all, so from that perspective, the sales of CoD3 and WaW aren't as telling.

What I'm most pumped about is that they're wholesale copying The Conduit's controls. Every FPS on Wii needs to do this. :D

Scrubking

donny2112 said:
I take that as they want to make sure the audience is still there before committing to MW2. If MW1 sells at least as well as WaW, I think MW2 is a shoe-in for Wii.

Basically, they probably view the Wii audience as uncertain, so they want to make sure that each step is secure before committing to the next one. Also, Modern Warfare is going to basically be its own series, after all, so from that perspective, the sales of CoD3 and WaW aren't as telling.

What I'm most pumped about is that they're wholesale copying The Conduit's controls. Every FPS on Wii needs to do this. :D

I don't see how it makes any sense to base a Wii version of MW2 on a 2-year-old port of MW that is not going to get any advertising/attention/buzz thanks to the enormous media blitz MW2 will see. It's a stupid thing to do on top of ignoring the more recent and far more relevant sales of WaW Wii.

To top it off it's just a straight port with no exclusive new content that old ports usually get.

Asmodai

Banned
Jangaroo said:

Haha, awesome shading work!

I wonder if some kind of "stick-gun" is possible though :lol

donny2112

Scrubking said:
no exclusive new content

Pointer controls + Wii audience that's never seen MW1 before. There's also the Co-op function, if you want that.

The MW2 advertising should help MW1 on Wii, too.

polyh3dron said:
it will look exactly the same but in SD

No, it won't, but it can still be done on Wii.

Foxix Von

acura said:
I don't see the point of porting a real game to a console for kids.

Seriously? No I mean really, what? You sound like a dude that came into my work the other day complaining that there weren't any good DS games and that the system had "gone to the children" I desperately hope this was a joke post, for your sake I really do.

Back on topic, this game looks like sphincter. A very obese, 35 year old depressed anal sphincter.

VQ

Asmodai

Banned
polyh3dron said:
We need Resident Evil 5 on the Wii, don't tell me it can't be done it will look exactly the same but in SD

Yeah, just like COD4 looks exactly the same on Wii, just in 480p instead, right? :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
What do people expect when all they do is down-port the 360/PS3/PC game?

2 years is plenty of time to make this game properly, but Activision just can't be arsed to put in the effort.

Asmodai

Banned
cjelly said:
What do people expect when all they do is down-port the 360/PS3/PC game?

2 years is plenty of time to make this game properly, but Activision just can't be arsed to put in the effort.

What third party does put in the effort?

You can't blame Activision for not spending time and money making it look as good as possible when it will sell just as many copies looking like ass.

Asmodai

Banned
donny2112 said:
Activision with Vicarious Visions for Guitar Hero.
Capcom with Monster Hunter 3.

Two games? Out of how many hundred third party games there are for Wii?

I doubt very much that you're honestly surprised Activision and Treyarch aren't putting much money or effort into this port.

Amir0x

Banned
polyh3dron said:
We need Resident Evil 5 on the Wii, don't tell me it can't be done it will look exactly the same but in SD

it's amazing to me that there are gamers who still... STILL... don't grasp the limitations of the Wii's visual capabilities :lol

donny2112

Asmodai said:
I doubt very much that you're honestly surprised Activision and Treyarch aren't putting much money or effort into this port.

I read that CoD3 was done by Treyarch in less than a year, so Treyarch can put a lot of effort into a game in a short time. For your general point, though, no, I'm not surprised that most publishers don't go all out for their Wii games. You just asked for examples, and those were two that came to mind from bigger third-party publishers.

Edit:
Vicarious Visions specifically put a lot into their DS titles, too. They created their own technically impressive 3-D engine for the licensed Over the Hedge DS, and came up with Guitar Hero DS on their own volition.

Amalthea

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's amazing to me that there are gamers who still... STILL... don't grasp the limitations of the Wii's visual capabilities :lol

The downgraded graphics would finally match all other aspects of the game.

hellclerk

donny2112 said:
I read that CoD3 was done by Treyarch in less than a year, so Treyarch can put a lot of effort into a game in a short time. For your general point, though, no, I'm not surprised that most publishers don't go all out for their Wii games. You just asked for examples, and those were two that came to mind from bigger third-party publishers.

Edit:
Vicarious Visions specifically put a lot into their DS titles, too. They created their own technically impressive 3-D engine for the licensed Over the Hedge DS, and came up with Guitar Hero DS on their own volition.
indeed. it wouldn't surprise me to see CoD follow Guitar Hero in its progression on the Wii, though it would probably suit it best if Treyarch got more people to work on the Wii versions of the game, engineers and such.

Top Bottom