• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: World War II has a season pass

Alienous

Season Passes aren't all bad.

At least then you'll get more than 4 maps in a year.

If you really enjoy the game then it provides a way to get a lot more of it, and with as large an audience as Call of Duty it doesn't seem like finding a match will become a big problem, even if you don't own the DLC maps.

I really can't wait to see the day that season passes die off completely. I'd be open to playing a game like this for years to come if I didn't have to shell out extra money to stay up-to-date. I'll still grab the game either way, but this tells me I won't get too invested in multiplayer.

Z3M0G

I can't comment on Destiny but this was leaked. Plus we know what the gameplay of Destiny 2 will be like. It's not unknown.

Playing Destiny 2 will look like Playing Destiny 1... sure. Why fix what isn't broken.

But will the things that people Criticized Destiny 1 for be fixed in Destiny 2? Things that involve the structure of the game. It's kinda what a LOT of people are banking on... but hopefully those people would never pre-order Destiny 2 to begin with.

Everyone's freaking out about the Season Pass and I'm over here sad by the fact that they chose that design for the steelbook instead of the other ones that were leaked.

Season Passes aren't all bad.

At least then you'll get more than 4 maps in a year.

If you really enjoy the game then it provides a way to get a lot more of it, and with as large an audience as Call of Duty it doesn't seem like finding a match will become a big problem, even if you don't own the DLC maps.

But why are you paying $50 for DLC maps when the retail game cost $60, also came with maps, plus a single-player campaign and likely more?

DLC pricing is screwed up, and Season Pass/DLC Map Packs have always been the worst.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It does not and people really should learn that. Matchmaking for any mode like team deathmatch or hardpoint will throw you in a DLC lobby if all players present have the DLC, else you get a vanilla lobby. the experience is seamless and no trouble for both kinds of players (with or without DLC).

This is not a game where DLC maps are dead shortly after arrival (Battlefield) or vanilla players have issues without DLC. Watch any stream of Black Ops 2 backwards comp. to confirm.

I didn't know that. That's a good system.

Kalentan

But why are you paying $50 for DLC maps when the retail game cost $60, also came with maps, plus a single-player campaign and likely more?

DLC pricing is screwed up, and Season Pass/DLC Map Packs have always been the worst.

Your point makes no sense... why pay for $50 for a season pass when the base game includes stuff? So we have more maps?

Also I agree with the person you responded to. At this point I'd rather have a season pass than like 4 maps a year.

Not a surprise. This year's season pass for Infinite Warfare is probably the best value for the money the series has ever had though. Probably not buying this years pass, but I hope that trend continues.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
This will obviously be a controversial opinion, but I prefer a season pass over free dlc. A season pass, especially for Call of Duty, gives us substantial content post launch. As opposed to a very, very slow drip of free content - i.e. Titanfall 2.

Your point makes no sense... why pay for $50 for a season pass when the base game includes stuff? So we have more maps?

Also I agree with the person you responded to. At this point I'd rather have a season pass than like 4 maps a year.

Ask yourself why you're paying $50 for some maps other than because that's what the publisher is charging for it.

It's not good value, and consumers shouldn't put up with it.

Kalentan

Unless you really want the steelbook, they always do a bundle of the game and pass.

I know but I love getting steel books. Though I also do love digital.

Ask yourself why you're paying $50 for some maps other than because that's what the publisher is charging for it.

I mean I get plenty of hours of content with the Season pass. I like the 4 mp maps + 1 coop map style they've been using for a while. I get plenty of game time then in the MP and coop.

You says it's not good value but I think getting double the maps and coop maps is quite the good value. Better than a year on and having barely anything new.

Krosia

This will obviously be a controversial opinion, but I prefer a season pass over free dlc. A season pass, especially for Call of Duty, gives us substantial content post launch. As opposed to a very, very slow drip of free content - i.e. Titanfall 2.

Only problem is Call of Duty is - since Advanced Warfare - stuffed to the brim with both season pass content and microtransaction lootboxes. Only game where it is not this or that, but both.

A season pass makes sense for a game like Destiny with that content model.

While I like games keeping the population together all of the micro transactions make people pay for the good gear or the neon skins ruin the integrity of the games setting.

Also micro transaction "funded" maps aren't always new-see all of the "remix" Halo 5 maps.

Alienous

Value is subjective.

If you put dozens of hours in Call of Duty multiplayer, and $50 enables you to put dozens of hours more into it, then a person could find value in that.

And if they don't they can buy another game instead. But if someone thinks they'll get more bang for their buck with the $50 season pass then they've determined it to be more valuable. And I don't think you can say the Season Pass is overpriced any more than you could say the base game is underpriced. It's all subjective.

I dislike season passes, but I just choose to not support games that feature them.

I don't really understand the idea of trying to guilt people into changing their viewpoints. Some people are fine with paying for season passes and that's ok. You aren't going to convince enough of the CoD playerbase that a season pass is a bad value to make Activision change their stance.

So Nov 3. Hmm I might go digital deluxe if I like the gameplay shown before the release. I always pre-order a game I'm getting the weekend before it releases so I'll have time to make my decision. Last year's COD was the first one I passed on.

For many people it absolutely is a good value. Many people get more hours of enjoyment and replay out of their yearly COD + season pass purchase than most gamers do from spending hundreds of dollars every year on games they don't even play. Who are you to tell them that's a bad value?

Hikami

Lame but not surprising. They'll have some shitty loot boxes too on top of that.

I'll just stick with Battlefront II unless the game turns out to be really good.

shanafan

This news triggers every emotion for me.

New Call of Duty this November? Check.

World War II themed? Check.

Limited Edition version? Check.

Season pass included? Check.

Steelbook? Check.

Nov 3 is too far away ;)

Kill3r7

Well Battlefront is their next big one so we will see what happens with Battlefield

Battlefield and Battlefront are not even close to being the same. BF Premium does really well for EA compared to Battlefront season pass. TF2 did not have a season pass and free DLC but BF1 did. I fully expect BF to continue with a season pass or at the very least paid maps. They make a significant amount of money from them. Same reason why COD is continuing with them.

Fair enough though I think that would confuse players since World at War is part of the greater Black Ops universe and so if this was called World at War 2, people would think it takes place in that same timeline.

Yeah you're right didn't think of that. The title is just so similar it's funny.

shanafan

Call of Duty is the last major MP game using this shitty archaic model. I would've hoped Activision would've learned from Overwatch's massive success.

Yes, Overwatch has done very well, but Infinite Warfare was still the top selling game last year. People who play Call of Duty shell out loads of cash for the extra content - which Activision has done very well with supplying their core franchise with.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah ATVI ain't giving up that easy money quickly

I'm sure they fall in line with everyone else eventually but it'll still be a while

Schlorgan

im_shocked.gif

robotrock

Banned
Call of Duty WW2 has this really cool cheat code kind of thing on the main menu where if you click in both joysticks, it allows you to rotate the W into an M, and it activates MW2 remastered

I mean I get plenty of hours of content with the Season pass. I like the 4 mp maps + 1 coop map style they've been using for a while. I get plenty of game time then in the MP and coop.

You says it's not good value but I think getting double the maps and coop maps is quite the good value. Better than a year on and having barely anything new.

Value is subjective.

If you put dozens of hours in Call of Duty multiplayer, and $50 enables you to put dozens of hours more into it, then a person could find value in that.

And if they don't they can buy another game instead. But if someone thinks they'll get more bang for their buck with the $50 season pass then they've determined it to be more valuable. And I don't think you can say the Season Pass is overpriced any more than you could say the base game is underpriced. It's all subjective.

I dislike season passes, but I just choose to not support games that feature them.

I don't really understand the idea of trying to guilt people into changing their viewpoints. Some people are fine with paying for season passes and that's ok. You aren't going to convince enough of the CoD playerbase that a season pass is a bad value to make Activision change their stance.

For many people it absolutely is a good value. Many people get more hours of enjoyment and replay out of their yearly COD + season pass purchase than most gamers do from spending hundreds of dollars every year on games they don't even play. Who are you to tell them that's a bad value?

Ugh, you guys. Stop defending a poor corporate pricing structures. You are so conditioned to "gotta have my Call of Duty maps" that you don't even care whether they're giving you good value.

It logically makes zero sense that a full game can be had for $60, yet all you get from a Season Pass are some maps for $50. A tiny fraction of the time and effort went into that Season Pass compared to the full game, yet it is 83% of the cost for consumers?
You can ask for better pricing. You don't have to agree to buy what Activision is selling. That would be the market at work, and I guarantee Activision would reduce the price of the Season Pass or eliminate it entirely consumers required so.

This defeatist attitude of "but that's what it costs" is why they keep charging $50 every year for it, because you'll keep happily paying it.

If you want to keep paying it, that's fine, but understand why others don't see the value there, and why they don't appreciate the $50 pricing of the Season Pass.

Top Bottom