• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
!!! Call of Duty: WWII was in beta when this thread was created. Early impressions may not be indicative of launch build performance. !!!

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
codwwiisysreqscmsfk.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
Tech PowerUp (English; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display adapter: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Fullscreen; Windowed (no border); Windowed
Monitor: Self-explanatory
HDR output: Off/On
Screen refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Sync every frame: Off/On
Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
FoV: 50 -> 95 in increments of 1
Display resolution: Self-explanatory
Render resolution: 10%; 25%; 50%; 75%; Native; 125%; 150%; 175%; 200%; 225%; 250%; 275%; 300%; 325%; 350%; 375%; 400%

Pre-T2x resolution: 50%; 75%; Native
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA 1x; SMAA T2x; Filmic SMAA 1x; Filmic SMAA T2x
Texture resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Normal map resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Specular map resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Sky resolution: Low; Normal
Shader preload: Off/On
Anisotropic filtering: Low; Normal; High
Shadows: Off/On

Shadow map resolution: Normal; High; Extra
Shadow depth: Normal; High
Screen-space shadows: Off; Auto on; Always on
Screen-space reflections: Off; Normal; High
Cache sun shadow maps: Off/On
Depth of field: Off; Low; Normal; High
Motion blur: Off; Low; Medium; High
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Off; Hemi AO; HBAO+; GTAO low; GTAO high
Medium distant ambient occlusion: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On

Has really nice technical operation so far, a bit heavier on the CPU than previous COD games though (which is good in my book).

PC also has a temporal up-sample option for checkerboarding:
s2_mp64_ship_2017_09_tdqnn.png

Ignore German, but the "resolution before T2x" is your real internal resolution, and the other resolution percentage option is the upscaled temporal resolution (which then also is scaled down to your chosen native resolution up top which UI is also rendered at).

So in this screenshot I am "checkerboarding" up to 3840X2160 from an internal 2880X2160 and then having that downsample to native 1920X1080.

Say you have a 4K monitor and want checkboarding there, all you would do differently would be to leave the top resolution 3840X2160, leave render resolution native, and then enable a 50 or 75% Pre-T2X resolution.

My performance impressions are coming soon, I'm really interested in seeing what this game is like and how it looks and performs!

dr_rus

PC also has a temporal up-sample option for checkerboarding:
s2_mp64_ship_2017_09_tdqnn.png

Considering that it's based on SMAA T2X accumulation, I don't think that it's accurate to call it checkerboarding. That's what recently been usually called "temporal injection".

Considering that it's based on SMAA T2X accumulation, I don't think that it's accurate to call it checkerboarding. That's what recently been usually called "temporal injection".

Yeah I agree. Just did it for simplicity of nomenclature sake here on GAF. Not many people would know what it is without the buzzword. :D

Nokterian

Runs good..sometimes. Gettin major stuttering and fps drops, like it feels unusual when it happens. I don't think this will be fixed for the slightest in full release.

Fakling

Neo Member
Can't play much with a GTX 1070, I'm having CTDs all the time calling a DirectX error, thought it was the drivers, did a DDU, updated to the most recent and didn't solve.

Seems like there's quite a few people with the same problem, anyone here having the same issue?

Timu

Can't play much with a GTX 1070, I'm having CTDs all the time calling a DirectX error, thought it was the drivers, did a DDU, updated to the most recent and didn't solve.

Seems like there's quite a few people with the same problem, anyone here having the same issue?
I have a GTX 1070 and can't play it at all!

chitnex

Runs good..sometimes. Gettin major stuttering and fps drops, like it feels unusual when it happens. I don't think this will be fixed for the slightest in full release.
Yeah, my game was doing weird freezing things too. I even was able to see it on the killcams as my player would freeze in place.

I only played one round, but it ran pretty well besides a brief period of stuttering. After that it was pretty smooth. Using a 1070 and 7700k.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I cant stay in game either on a 1070 or 1080

jabuseika

No stuttering from graphics settings.

Vsync. In-game 60fps limit. Rivat Turner 59 FPS limit.

i5 4590k @4.4Ghz, GTX 970, 1080p, latest drivers.

Ab8UOBx.png

The right part is the menus.

Most of the stuttering/lag I'm getting definitely is coming from the servers. :\

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Game eats Vram like crazy, and is really buggy. This isn't ready for release IMO. It was a pain to get working. I had to do some random dodgy windows update links from some reddit post, turn off my firewall, and update all my drivers for it to stop crashing to desktop at the start.

It plays fine, I'm not getting stuttering or bad performance. It even runs fine on high settings. The problem is the moment I connect to a match in a party with friends on anything but the absolute lowest settings, I crash to desktop with a memory error. It's ONLY when I'm in a party. I can play multiplayer solo on high settings and be fine. I don't get it.

Also, a nasty bug: it keeps setting my mic volume deep in the windows mic settings to either 0 or 100, and either muting me randomly or blowing peoples eardrums out in TS. I'm not changing anything at all related to mic settings in the game when this happens. It happened to another friend in chat too so it's definitely the game, since it's never ever happened to either of us ever before.

8gb

edit: for clarification, I never had fill memory on.

JaseC

Game eats Vram like crazy, and is really buggy. This isn't ready for release IMO. It was a pain to get working. I had to do some random dodgy windows update links from some reddit post, turn off my firewall, and update all my drivers for it to stop crashing to desktop at the start.

It plays fine, I'm not getting stuttering or bad performance. It even runs fine on high settings. The problem is the moment I connect to a match in a party with friends on anything but the absolute lowest settings, I crash to desktop with a memory error. It's ONLY when I'm in a party. I can play multiplayer solo on high settings and be fine. I don't get it..

The game crashing due to a lack of memory is a system RAM issue, not a VRAM one. From what you've said, it sounds like using the party system can trigger some sort of memory leak.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
GTX 1060 6GB
i5 6400
8GB DDR4

60fps on 1080p with everything on max except AA and AO, also got random stuttering and freezes but rarely.

SZips

i7-6700K at 4.5GHz
32GB 2666 DDR4
GTX 1080Ti

Settings set to max.

Ran at a rock solid 125fps during gameplay (even though I limited it to 120fps in the in-game options). The menus were unstable as far as framerate goes but it was pretty much in the triple digits regardless.

Bumped up the internal resolutions to 4K and averaged around 80-90fps with the same settings.

Getting frame drops and random stutter. Seems to only really happen in laggy matches. When it runs smooth, it's perfect. Probably just needs drivers and a day 1 patch. I really enjoyed what I played. I consistently got matches which is great for PC. Hopefully, we can get 3-4k players consistently well after launch, if all looks good on that front I'll definitely pick this up.

GTX970
i7-6700
16gb ram

kuYuri

i7-4790k
GTX 1080 Ti
16GB RAM
3440 x 1440, maxed out

I get around 90-125fps, give or take a few depending on how busy the screen gets. It runs well for the most part, I do notice some stutter here and there. The biggest issue seems to be the servers, I seem to get some form of packet loss every match. Not constantly, but every so often. Assuming these are beta woes.

fersnake

well, i made some test and played the "new" war mode and i cant play it. i test it at ultra settings and was hitting 30/40ish then i lowered everything and turned off what i could and the same results :S

i5 4460
rx 570 4gb
8gb ram

amd drivers: 17.9.1

gonna try the beta drivers and see if it fixes something.

ps. i disable game mode on windows 10 i dont know if that cause the bad fps gonna turn it on later and update the drivers and test it again.

ps2. i realize that i was running nox emulator too so... damm it!!! gonna test it again xD

Maxed everything out at 1440p and it ran at 60-100fps. Felt smooth with G-sync and never stuttered consistently across half a dozen team deathmatch rounds. The only stutters I did see were these massive frame drops where the game seemed to just halt completely for half a second. That only happened a couple of times though, so overall it was a good time.

i5 4690K 4GHz
GTX 1080
16GB RAM

mrlion

Lots of problems that this game has...I crash the game after I'm done in Gibraltar and another map that has endless loading (Aachen). Some games you lag a lot in some you don't without a reason.

Also...rifles are garbage in this game.

catmario

HP star wars laptop benchmark

CPU: i5-6200U
GPU: Geforce 940M
RAM: 8GB

- All options off or low
- 720p (render resolution: 50%)

Frames: 44812 - Time: 624719ms - Avg: 71.731 - Min: 30 - Max: 92

0utlaw

Neo Member
i couldn't join a single match yesterday: lost connection to host every single time.
i just read that disable shader preload could fix this, can anyone confirm ?
Can´t test since im at work.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
OP, dont ever recommend external framecap limiters in games that have their own internal tool. The external ones induce latency penalties.

JaseC

OP, dont ever recommend external framecap limiters in games that have their own internal tool. The external ones induce latency penalties [or stuttering].

That can happen, and if it does, then I update the OP accordingly. Additionally, I'd like to think people are wise enough to deduce that the first port of call should be the game's own framerate limit option. ;)

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
That is a rather large claim, have any data or links to back it up?

That can happen, and if it does, then I update the OP accordingly. Additionally, I'd like to think people are wise enough to deduce that the first port of call should be the game's own framerate limit option. ;)

A lot of internal ones don't work particularly well, for me at least. RTSS is consistent.

https://youtu.be/rs0PYCpBJjc?t=247

6uO5Ikj.png

The way you spoke about it made it seem like it was some huge penalty in input latency given how it should be completely removed from the OP.
If you can notice 7 ms of input latency at 144 frames per second on a Gsync monitor, then more power to you. I, on a non-gsync display, enjoy the frame consistency provided by RTSS over internal game frame limiters, which tend to cause frame pacing issues above and below.

Also, there is no test there for Vsync + frame limit set to refresh limit (which is what I do). Rather, always refresh -1... that would introduce a mismatched frame every second and produce constant stutter.

Top Bottom