• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came into work to Pokemon Craze

Redd

Walking the dog in my neighborhood. Around 1:30 in the morning. Walked past 2 teens going in the opposite direction with their phones out. They asked me was I playing pokemon GO too. Lol, its pretty crazy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Where I work is also going crazy for Pokémon. (Not surprising since it's a Game Dev Studio...)

Plus, it's downtown so there's probably a lot of Pokéstop and Gyms around.

Balb

Pokemon is one of those transcendent brands like Marvel or TMNT. It's just that Nintendo/The Pokemon Company didn't start treating it that way until this year basically.

gconsole

Well. My flatmate who doest play videogame at all and never touch pokemon keep going out every night to catch pokemon ... And this is in UK where its not officially open yet. I asked him how do you know this app and he said his other friend suggested to him and he cant stop playing it since. Last night he went out at 10PM and came back at midnight, thats kind of crazy.

qko

The weird thing about this whole concept is that it seems like the kind of thing people would freak out about for fear of children being molested. But I haven't heard anything like that... Yet.

If you get the child molesters occupied on catching Pokemon instead of children, then society wins right?

Hoo-doo

Banned
It was only a matter of time until the "Nintendo should go third party" posts came flooding in.

I know you're really invested in NX and i'm also curious to see how it will do. But if it fails to gain traction then yes, yes they should. Watch them soar after that.

LycanXIII

2am, walking through University of Kentucky building and as least 20 students standing around outside trying to take over a gym. I was so excited to see everyone coming together for it.

My favorite part of this has been the "hardcore" Pokemon fans popping into every thread to assure everyone the game is garbage.

Toxi

Banned
My favorite part of this has been the "hardcore" Pokemon fans popping into every thread to assure everyone the game is garbage.
As a Pokemon fan, I have no idea why some are so down on the game.

The worst thing about it are the server issues preventing people from playing, which are a serious pain in the ass but at least they're not too bad for me.

Quasar

So,

I got into work today and literally every single person was wandering around hunting for Pokemon. Most of them don't play games at all, the few that weren't downloaded the app because everyone else was playing.

Never seen anything like this, seems like Nintendo has quite the hit on their hands.

Lock if Unnecessary.

I'll admit I've never played a Pokemon game but was interested in this (in part because I already did play a fair amount of Ingress).

Though sadly the android version doesn't work with Android N.

sniffy

Neo Member
I'm pretty curious to see how Nintendo react to this. Mobile is exponentially bigger than any of their dedicated hardware could ever be and they stand to make a lot more money. I can't really see them exiting the hardware business anytime soon, but if their next round of hardware doesn't do any better than the 3DS then I think there is an argument to made for moving into publishing only. The amount of money required for console/handheld development, manufacturing and support is not trivial, and I've always gotten the impression Nintendo try and downplay the hardware they create and emphasise the experience - when Iwata showed off the Wii U I'm pretty sure he said something along those lines. Plus Nintendo IP is perfect for casuals and casuals are on mobile.

Best believe Nintendo is paying very close attention to all this money flowing in.

They are sitting on goldmines of IP's that are completely hamstrung by being bound to their mediocre hardware. Maybe it's time to give up the hardware and just make games where people can play them.

We get it. You want Nintendo to go 3rd party

T.O.P

Banned
Game has not yet been release Here and still, it's fuckin everywhere

It's amazing :D

Going with a friend to take back the town's gyms today, shame that it's so damn hot outside, September seems like the sweet spot for me

Azuran

Banned

The game is garbage until they fucking fix those stupid server issues. It's ridiculous when I can't even play and have to wait 5 minutes for the thing to connect which completely destroys both my battery life and my monthly phone bill.

There's actually a fragment of fun when it work 5% of the time.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I can't help but wonder if this is affecting 3DS and X/Y or AS/OR sales. Relapsed fans looking into what's available these days.

sniffy

Neo Member
We get it. You want Nintendo to go 3rd party

Except he has a point. It isn't about what people want it's about reality. What makes the 3DS attractive is that it has actual controls. But any phone being sold today is far more powerful and there is no doubt at all that 3DS games are hamstrung by it's dated tech.

For perspective, ARM11 cores were 5-6 years old by the time the 3DS launched, and they were underclocked to top it all off. Mobile phone SoCs wipe the floor with the 3DS SoC. Nintendo don't seem to like investing heavily in hardware, so third party actually makes a lot of sense for them.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I mean, it's pretty barebones, but I feel like that's almost expected of mobile phone games these days. If it got too technical like the "standard" games can get it'd probably turn off a lot of casual plays.

Except he has a point. It isn't about what people want it's about reality. What makes the 3DS attractive is that it has actual controls. But any phone being sold today is far more powerful and there is no doubt at all that 3DS games are hamstrung by it's dated tech.

For perspective, ARM11 cores were 5-6 years old by the time the 3DS launched, and they were underclocked to top it all off. Mobile phone SoCs wipe the floor with the 3DS SoC. Nintendo don't seem to like investing heavily in hardware, so third party actually makes a lot of sense for them.

Nintendo has always sold underpowered handheld hardware though, all the way back to the Game & Watch. It's basically their M.O.

Azuran

Banned

I don't think people care about tech in Pokemon considering they were still using sprites all the way to 2012 when they could have easily moved to 3D back when DP came out. Even the 3DS games are ancient relative to other 3DS games.

Trust me, Game Freak wouldn't care about making an optimal game even in the most powerful computer system in existence.

AlexIIDX

I was out tonight for my cousins birthday, we were bar hopping and it was insane how many people were walking around the streets playing....We went to find one of the Gyms on my friends phone and there was a huge crowd of ppl walking around just catching and talking about pokemon. It was so bizarre.

anaron

shit's hilarious.

meanwhile, people are laughing and screaming whilst playing it outside my neighbourhood at 12:00 am

watershed

Banned
I can't help but wonder if this is affecting 3DS and X/Y or AS/OR sales. Relapsed fans looking into what's available these days.
This is a major part of Nintendo's goals with mobile games, to bring people to their own hardware and non-mobile software. But I'm not sure we'll ever see actual data around this.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I've asked a couple people and told you walk to locations in real life to get Pokemon. I get that part. Metal Gear PSP did something like it. Lost as to what you do with them, all the gym business, the teams. Are there battles like the games? Is it merely about collecting?

Who has the leverage in this case? TPC or Nintendo? Moving forward (this is a hypothetical), will Nintendo be able to stop TPC if they decide that they want the mainline Pokémon games to be on mobile?
TPC is Nintendo in all but Name. The mental gymnastics emploYed to divorce them from the IP they own are mind boggling.

It's much more likely that future Pokémon games will have closer ties to the mobile Games (catching and transferring Monsters on mobile) I think Pokémon Go is better suited for mobile and that it will get more involved and complex by the time standing alongside the main Pokémon games. Also it's too Early to talk longevity. The mobile Crowd is inherently fickle and not loyal to any IP or company.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I've asked a couple people and told you walk to locations in real life to get Pokemon. I get that part. Metal Gear PSP did something like it. Lost as to what you do with them, all the gym business, the teams. Are there battles like the games? Is it merely about collecting?

i mean you could just check the OT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243722

Toparaman

Banned
Please don't drive and play at the same time. That's all I ask.

I swear a pedestrian is going to get run over by some idiot trying to catch a Scyther or some shit.

My buddy does Uber. He just called me telling me that 9 of his 10 passengers tonight made him stop the ride to catch Pokemon.

Lol this game, man

Wow, I'm surprised at how crazy this has become. One would hope Niantic sorts out the reported problems.

I played Miitomo for a week or two and stopped playing because it was a slow, laggy app. I don't normally play smartphone games, but the few I've played haven't been slow and laggy. It's not what I expect from an app in 2016, and Nintendo/Niantic/Pokemon Co. would be smart to ensure that this isn't the case.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I did earlier and it doesn't really explain the teams business or battling other players.

There's no battling other players yet, sadly. Teams are working just like a very dumbed-down Ingress, in that you 'capture' gyms for your faction, and that's p much it at this point.
If you visit gyms of other factions, you can try taking them over by battling the pokemon left behind, if you visit one of yours, you can try taking it over for "training" or leave your pokemon behind to help defending. There's no real point to it at the moment, there's no area control or faction points as in Ingress.

I was just in Santa Monica. The pier was full of people of all ages playing Pokemon. It was insane. Never experienced such a thing game related in all my life.

There's no battling other players yet, sadly. Teams are working just like a very dumbed-down Ingress, in that you 'capture' gyms for your faction, and that's p much it at this point.
If you visit gyms of other factions, you can try taking them over by battling the pokemon left behind, if you visit one of yours, you can try taking it over for "training" or leave your pokemon behind to help defending. There's no real point to it at the moment, there's no area control or faction points as in Ingress.

Alright, thanks. Makes sense. I'll have to try it on Monday.

Vex_

Banned
The funny thing about this is that it is grown ass men and women just walking around with their phones in the air going "oooooooh I got a pokeman!" I have yet to see a kid playing this yet, which is... concerning.

It is seriously at the point now where you can just tell who is doing it, and who isn't doing it. You can also tell who is doing it together. Needless to say, This is definitely a cultural phenomenon.

I just wish they didn't come near my apartment/car/job (especially at 2am) all the time. When I asked someone what was over here (job), they said there was a gym and a pokestop or some shit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's the number one grossing app on the iOS AppStore. Estimated to be bringing in $1.6 Mil a day, just on iOS.

It is amazing how people are appose to anything over $4 on the App Store and end up spending a lot more money in IAP's. Free to play is not a bad model, but it is becoming the only model and it has implications on game design too.

The funny thing about this is that it is grown ass men and women just walking around with their phones in the air going "oooooooh I got a pokeman!" I have yet to see a kid playing this yet, which is... concerning.

Well, lots of kids don't have smartphones. If my kid wants to play this we'll play it together on my phone so I know she's safe.

I played golf yesterday and it was the first time I had heard of Pokemon Go (havent been frequenting the gaming side lately). One of the guys in our group was always on his phone as he was walking the course. I asked him how far to the pin, thinking he had a golf measuring app or something, and he told me he was playing Pokemon.

By the end of the round, the two other people in my playing group had downloaded the game and were playing it.

I didnt download the game. I ended up winning the round by about 7 shots...

elyetis

They are sitting on goldmines of IP's that are completely hamstrung by being bound to their mediocre hardware. Maybe it's time to give up the hardware and just make games where people can play them.
It's not like pokemon go benefit much from the hardware itself, at least power or resolution wise. It sure benefit from 3/4G and gps.

Persona7

Banned
I probably would have spent more of my credit if the server issues didn't randomly dissolve my paid items. Absolute garbage.

Never thought I'd see one but yesterday saw someone at my local shops,face down volume up playing it.

If i had coffee in my mouth I would of spit it out,but I smiled

Top Bottom