• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter - The DAOC Successor from Mark Jacobs [Complete, $2.2M]

Effect

Okay back in again for $50. Ugh. This back and forth is really bothering me. Still concerns and not feeling to strongly but the possibility that this could solve the issues I have with mmorpgs in general has been eating away at me.

Effect

Tempted to up the pledge a little to get more of the founder points. 5 more and I'd be able to select the expansions opinion to have them seemingly paid for but things are to sight unseen as it is already and rather not part with the extra $10.

Burt

Tempted to up the pledge a little to get more of the founder points. 5 more and I'd be able to select the expansions opinion to have them seemingly paid for but things are to sight unseen as it is already and rather not part with the extra $10.
I sure you'll be able to get founders points throughout development. As back and forth as you've been, it's probably better to just get yourself in at a tier you're comfortable with right now, and wait for more about the game to come out before you spend any more money.

Herla

Did you subscribe to the newsletter before the kickstarter went live?
If I recall correctly you get 5 bonus points for that.

Effect

I sure you'll be able to get founders points throughout development. As back and forth as you've been, it's probably better to just get yourself in at a tier you're comfortable with right now, and wait for more about the game to come out before you spend any more money.

True I should just leave things as they are. I'm actually comfortable with the $50 at the moment given what comes with it. Even with my reservations. However more might really be pushing it and could push me to the point to cancel again before its to late. :(

Did you subscribe to the newsletter before the kickstarter went live?
If I recall correctly you get 5 bonus points for that.

I don't believe so. I think I only really found out about the game when the kickstarter started.

epmode

I never played DAoC. I'm not even a big MMO fan but I remember reading all sorts of fun DAoC stories and I support anyone making non-themepark MMOs so fuck it, I'm in.

Effect

Ugh. Back out again and for good this time. In fact I'll be trying to do something else for the next few hours so I won't have the chance of changing my mind again at the last minute. I'll still follow the game as it develops but in the end I just don't feel comfortable putting down money at the moment for an idea. If the game was already in development and there was more to show it would be different and I think that is the core of my issue in the end.

Burt

And it's done. $2.232 million. Funny how it dropped like $25k in the last 2 minutes, especially after it had already hit the $2.250 million stretch goal. Glad it's definitely funded though.

The quacks in the comment section are starting to get to me already, though.

nataku

A question. I've never done a kickstarter before, and when I donated it gave me the option to type in the amount and then below it gave me the option of No Reward and then all the tiers below that. I hit no reward after typing in $50 because I assumed that was in addition to whatever I was donating, in case I wanted to upgrade my pledge after setting the initial amount. Was that not the case? If I wanted all this:

YOUNG WARRIOR - DIGITAL ONLY
This “early adopter” tier gets all the NEW RECRUIT rewards and THESE UPGRADES: an ADDITIONAL 15 FOUNDER’S POINTS (25 total) + ONE ADDITIONAL FREE MONTH (two total) + SILVER FORUM BADGE + BETA 1 ACCESS. In addition, you receive ONE DIGITAL, DRM-FREE COPY OF GAME’S SOUNDTRACK+ SPECIAL THANKS IN THE IN-GAME CREDITS + FOUNDER’S ICON for your crafter character(s) + ACCESS TO THE REALM-RESTRICTED FOUNDER’S CHAT + ONE EXTRA BETA 3 INVITE + ONE ADDITIONAL CHARACTER SLOT AT LAUNCH. This exact benefit package will not be repeated, even at a higher price, once this tier sells out, as that is one of the benefits of an "early adopter" tier. Estimated delivery of Beta 1 Access: February 2015.

Did I need to type in 0 as the amount and then just select the $50 tier?

EDIT: Going to some random KS page and hitting the pledge option, it seems that is the case. Guess I really should read things better instead of doing things in a hurry before work. I thought those options were in addition to the amount you typed in.

I just gave them $50 for free and get nothing out of it. FML. Really sours me on the whole thing.

Effect

A question. I've never done a kickstarter before, and when I donated it gave me the option to type in the amount and then below it gave me the option of No Reward and then all the tiers below that. I hit no reward after typing in $50 because I assumed that was in addition to whatever I was donating, in case I wanted to upgrade my pledge after setting the initial amount. Was that not the case? If I wanted all this:

EDIT: Going to some random KS page and hitting the pledge option, it seems that is the case. Guess I really should read things better instead of doing things in a hurry before work. I thought those options were in addition to the amount you typed in.

I just gave them $50 for free and get nothing out of it. FML. Really sours me on the whole thing.

Try contacting them through the link on the page (the link is near the section about City State I think) and explain what happen. Or see if they can just cancel your pledge if they can't.

nataku

Try contacting them through the link on the page (the link is near the section about City State I think) and explain what happen. Or see if they can just cancel your pledge if they can't.

Yeah, I sent them a message explaining the situation but I'm not expecting a reply. Even if by some miracle they do I doubt anything will be done about it.

Lesson learned I guess.

BrettWeir

Cowboi Bebop

Been to many years to remember I guess.

I was there until Classics came out. Was an Infiltrator named Juel. Got sick of Mors, Jasalina, and all the other Albs causing a ton of drama, so deleted after RR6 and rolled Mid. Was still Juel, but a Shadowblade. Used to roll around with Hola and Faylance....if you can remember back that far or where there then.

Yeah, I sent them a message explaining the situation but I'm not expecting a reply. Even if by some miracle they do I doubt anything will be done about it.

Lesson learned I guess.

Hopefully they straighten it out. Not sure why they wouldn't and risk losing $50 and a future customer for their game.

Ugh. Back out again and for good this time. In fact I'll be trying to do something else for the next few hours so I won't have the chance of changing my mind again at the last minute. I'll still follow the game as it develops but in the end I just don't feel comfortable putting down money at the moment for an idea. If the game was already in development and there was more to show it would be different and I think that is the core of my issue in the end.

Wow man. LOL.

Anyhow....very glad we reached the 2nd stretch. Not really wanting an "Armory". I like that other people don't know my equipment/template. Now a Herald on the other hand, very pumped that it made it.

Glad I bumped mine to 350, im gonna like having a lifetime sub.

Their stretch goals are kind of stupid though, honestly, haha.

new race? ok thats good, nothing wrong with that. The archer thing is kind of lame though, they say nothing about it being another class on top of what they were making, just that now 1 in each realm will be an archer.

And the Herald and Armoury thing is kind of a joke too, since the Herald is REALLY minor and easy to do stuff, Patch notes and mailbags mostly. And an Armoury while nice, isnt really game breaking. haha.

Happy as fuck this funded though, and I love Archers, so I dont mind that I will get 3 different choices on what I want. Loved my Ranger, but always had more fun sniping dudes with my buddies Scout :p

BrettWeir

Glad I bumped mine to 350, im gonna like having a lifetime sub.

Their stretch goals are kind of stupid though, honestly, haha.

new race? ok thats good, nothing wrong with that. The archer thing is kind of lame though, they say nothing about it being another class on top of what they were making, just that now 1 in each realm will be an archer.

And the Herald and Armoury thing is kind of a joke too, since the Herald is REALLY minor and easy to do stuff, Patch notes and mailbags mostly. And an Armoury while nice, isnt really game breaking. haha.

Happy as fuck this funded though, and I love Archers, so I dont mind that I will get 3 different choices on what I want. Loved my Ranger, but always had more fun sniping dudes with my buddies Scout :p

I swear there are some videos of Mark saying something along the lines of "3 classes no matter what...as a stretch goal we will also add Archers". No way I'm going through all of them to find it though haha.

The Herald.....I really love it, but yeah, it doesn't seem like much for a stretch goal. But, I'm glad it is a guarantee now though, because it would suck to have the game release and not even an option for a Herald type site.

Woot. RaySpencer and I in the Hero Forever club. The Warrior Forever tier did it for me, but I HAD to have those 100 FP's, dyes, digital art book, trophies, statue, and "exclusive house items", AND an extra digital copy of the game to give to a friend. And as stated, lifetime sub. I had to get it, no matter what.

Since they will continue to have FP's for sale, I can see buying more over the next couple years .... hah.

Burt

I swear there are some videos of Mark saying something along the lines of "3 classes no matter what...as a stretch goal we will also add Archers". No way I'm going through all of them to find it though haha.

The Herald.....I really love it, but yeah, it doesn't seem like much for a stretch goal. But, I'm glad it is a guarantee now though, because it would suck to have the game release and not even an option for a Herald type site.

Woot. RaySpencer and I in the Hero Forever club. The Warrior Forever tier did it for me, but I HAD to have those 100 FP's, dyes, digital art book, trophies, statue, and "exclusive house items", AND an extra digital copy of the game to give to a friend. And as stated, lifetime sub. I had to get it, no matter what.

Since they will continue to have FP's for sale, I can see buying more over the next couple years .... hah.
Yeah, he definitely said that archers are going on top of the classes they had planned for the game. I'm not in the mood to go hunting for it either, and I'm not even sure if pre-archer addition there were four or five classes per realm (whether it was 4 classes including the crafter or 4 classes plus the crafter), but I'm positive that the archer is going on top of what was originally planned.

Hopefully theyll keep funding going for a bit and add a good variety of interesting stretch goals as time goes on. I think "The Depth Revealed" for $2.5 million is a little disingenuous in its wording, seeing as how it's already been revealed and now they're just dangling it out there for funding without having to guarantee it for launch.

Needs moar races.

Well thats awesome if its an additional class.

Archer
Melee/Tank
Mage
Healer
Hybrid
Crafter

Would be the basics of each realm im sure. Obviously with lots of cross over like DAoC.

Im glad there will be a Herald, its just nothing to really get excited about, which kind of makes it a shitty stretch goal, haha.

Yay Hero Forever Club!, there was just too much awesome stuff to pass up on it all.

BrettWeir

Glad for those that like archer-types, but this has me giddy as a school girl! Minstrel is my favorite class in any game I have ever played. It honestly made DAoC my favorite game of all time. So, here's hoping to a minstrel type class (even without pet charm, since Mark stated no pet classes....although I'll miss charming lvl 55 Frost Stallions):

izE5oFefZWL2G.jpg

Yay Hero Forever Club!, there was just too much awesome stuff to pass up on it all.

Hell ya man!

Glad for those that like archer-types, but this has me giddy as a school girl! Minstrel is my favorite class in any game I have ever played. It honestly made DAoC my favorite game of all time. So, here's hoping to a minstrel type class (even without pet charm, since Mark stated no pet classes....although I'll miss charming lvl 55 Frost Stallions):

izE5oFefZWL2G.jpg

Hell ya man!

Yeah, those look great, I wonder if they will be like the Hunting Horn in Monster Hunter, haha.

BrettWeir

Oh man. This game has already begun to make an impact for me. Thanks to
Reddit
, I'm back in touch with a great old friend I used to group with quite a lot on Gawaine WAY back in the day. Not sure if you guys have watched his vids, but Quivna's vids were the first I ever saw regarding a video game. I was so damned proud to make a couple cameo appearances in his vids.....damn. Seriously, it was the epitome of gaming for me. The camaraderie of the stealther community has been since unrivaled. Before ToA, Quivna and a few others made that time, and DAoC the "golden age" of gaming for me.

God, so many damned good memories, and people I spent hours upon hours, days upon days, months upon months with.

I may be stupid for thinking that CU may be able to even come close to filling the shoes of what DAoC gave me, but it's the only chance I have at even making an attempt at getting to that level.

This is going to be a LONG, but well worth it, couple of years.

Cipherr

Reddit
, I'm back in touch with a great old friend I used to group with quite a lot on Gawaine WAY back in the day. Not sure if you guys have watched his vids, but Quivna's vids were the first I ever saw regarding a video game. I was so damned proud to make a couple cameo appearances in his vids.....damn. Seriously, it was the epitome of gaming for me. The camaraderie of the stealther community has been since unrivaled. Before ToA, Quivna and a few others made that time, and DAoC the "golden age" of gaming for me.

God, so many damned good memories, and people I spent hours upon hours, days upon days, months upon months with.

I may be stupid for thinking that CU may be able to even come close to filling the shoes of what DAoC gave me, but it's the only chance I have at even making an attempt at getting to that level.

Man I dont know how anyone could have played DAoC and not known Quivna. His videos (and his Nightshade friend that did PWNED) were freaking legendary. I noticed he had all his videos up on Youtube from way back when too. Crazy.

Araxus: PWNED:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phNajQztPXM

Quivna: WTF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj8trncJK7Y

Quivna: OMG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLYljTXZFM

Quivna: Hat Trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzLZWsfIOc

Which one were you in? Link to the time!

Xevren

Old frontier pvp, oh man the memories when I see some vids. Though I hated playing on my server (tristan) as a solo stealther, so many stealth zergs everywhere. But it happens, so whatever.

Reddit

Oh shit, Quivna was amazing. I should pop in to reddit and see if I can find any old friends.

BrettWeir

Man I dont know how anyone could have played DAoC and not known Quivna. His videos (and his Nightshade friend that did PWNED) were freaking legendary. I noticed he had all his videos up on Youtube from way back when too. Crazy.

Araxus: PWNED:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phNajQztPXM

Quivna: WTF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj8trncJK7Y

Quivna: OMG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLYljTXZFM

Quivna: Hat Trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzLZWsfIOc

Which one were you in? Link to the time!

Hah! Yeah, I've had his vids on 2 external HDD's and several CD and DVD ROMS for years. Through several reformats and upgrades, I'm still damned happy to still have them stored/saved.

My NS name was Hemisphere. Quivna posted up this screenshot yesterday from "OMG" lol....Quiv and I mezzed:
z9sQWpV.png

I'm in a bit of Hat Trick as well. Don't have time to sift through them at the time being. Busy busy day ahead.

BrettWeir

Did you get any response? I have been told by insiders to "please keep trying to contact Mark Jacobs. Between much needed time off and a full inbox, things are a tad slow atm"

nataku

Did you get any response? I have been told by insiders to "please keep trying to contact Mark Jacobs. Between much needed time off and a full inbox, things are a tad slow atm"

Nah, not yet. I figured they're super busy. I was told by Kickstarter that it takes up to 14 days for CSE to get the money as well, so it's not a huge deal at the moment. They've got tons to sort through I'm sure.

I'll just wait things out and see what happens. If several weeks pass by with no response I'll try contacting them again. It was completely my fault to begin with so I'm not going to get worked up over it.

BrettWeir

Nah, not yet. I figured they're super busy. I was told by Kickstarter that it takes up to 14 days for CSE to get the money as well, so it's not a huge deal at the moment. They've got tons to sort through I'm sure.

I'll just wait things out and see what happens. If several weeks pass by with no response I'll try contacting them again. It was completely my fault to begin with so I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Good for taking the high road. I highly doubt you won't get a response. Mark and co. are very serious about this and keeping in touch with/keeping their customers as happy as possible.

cu2_GoneFishing.png

vazel

Banned
I pledged $25 last night. How long does it take for me to get forum access?

Btw, the front page says pledges close on the 25th. So if you're interested now's the time.

Burt

A friend referred me to CU after getting bored with WvW in Guild Wars 2. Pre-alpha footage will be shown today (as well as other things) as part of bat-shit-crazy week:

http://camelotunchained.com/en/bsc-schedule-monday-july-14-2014-thursday-july-17th-2014/

Beat me to the bump :)

Update #100: Bat Shit Crazy Days are here!

Folks,

After a bit of a delay in May/June, the BSC Days of July will be starting at 10AM EDT/2PM GMT today. For those who haven't seen our previous updates, this week is dedicated to our Backers, without whose support none of this would have been possible. We are going to have a week full of presentations, live Q&As, contests, and much more. Among other things, we are going to talk about our magic system, combat system, world map, and crafting, as well as technical presentations from Andrew and the team. I’ve attached the full schedule to this update, so you can follow us and participate in the contests at our social links, forums, etc., which I have added below. BTW, most of the contests are open to everybody, not just our Backers (though we have some Backer-only contests and giveaways as well throughout the BSC Days and beyond).

All of our presentations will be found on our YouTube channel later in the day that they are initially presented: https://www.youtube.com/user/CityStateGames

As I always have said and will continue to say throughout the life of this game, thank you to all our Backers. Again: Without you, none of this would have been possible. Speaking on behalf of everybody at CSE, we will never forget it.

-Mark

BSC Days today: Monday, July 14, 2014 on Twitch: twitch.tv/citystategames

Mark Jacobs doing a Q&A right now on twitch.tv/citystategames, was nice enough to answer one of my questions :) .

Fuz

Banned
Was a ranger in DAoC. I absolutely LOVED how stealth worked (well, at least before the "see hidden" ability...)
How will stealth work here? Same as DAoC?

Azzurri

Sorry for the bump.

They started Alpha last week I think for 72 hours and according to them everything went pretty smooth.

Still on the fence if I want to throw $60 and get into beta.

Between this and Crowfall it's a tough decision.

Game is really raw right now. I mean it is a proper Alpha, not one of those "alpha" states you see on Steam with early access. Keep that in mind.

BrettWeir

Awesome bump imho!

I gotta say, after the "Stealth" stretch goal was announced, when they listed out every single category, it sounded exactly like what a Minstrel was. I was sooooo excited, unfortunately being let down in the end :( Only in the fact that it isn't a Minstrel :(

Quick bump for people who have gotten in the habit of disregarding CSE's fairly frequent emails -- Beta 1 backers ($50 and above) can download the client and get in the game now.

*Usual disclaimer about it being an actual, real, true, super rough actually pre-alpha here*

Decent CohhCarnage video about the game and beta, few months old though

Top Bottom