• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot (who's more than a model) wants to make Donkey Kong 64 2!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sure, I'd like to see Camelot give it a try. Take Donkey Kong 64, replace collectoning with more exploring, and we could have something.

I just don't think these guys are well cut-out for the job. And, sure, I love the Takahashi brothers and almost everything they've done together, but I'd rather see them tackle another original IP.

I prefer 2D DK, but I'd love to have Motoi Sakuraba score the soundtrack for a DK game.

I don't think Camelot can capture the Rare attitude though, and I don't know if they can design good levels, 2D or 3D. They've only made sports games and RPGs. Anything more than that I haven't heard of.

And to the person who said the NEW! Super Mario Bros. games are designed to be throwbacks, I wish they were more so man. The music is these games don't touch the original games in all their 8-bit glory. The NEW! series soundtracks are awful. I want a Mario Galaxy soundtrack for my 2D Mario's.

Oh and Camelot can't make a Golden Sun 4 without making a 3 first! What's that? Dark Dawn? That ain't book 3! Say it ain't so! T_T I tried to pretend I liked the game a lot but... :(

Hiroyuki Takahashi complains how the Golden Sun games take a lot out of him and implies that he doesn't want to make them anymore unless a lot of people beg him.

Geez, well he overworked because a good editor shoulda came into Camelot offices and deleted over half the needless text in Dark Dawn. Takahashi-san, you can save yourself some work by stop writing endless boring dialogue and focus on the game-play.

Oh, speaking of game-play, Takahashi-san, your "stress free" Golden Sun DD was a chore to play. No challenge and a bunch of jokes for puzzles. But it's a "stress free" game! Yeah, lot's of fun (no) and "stress free" as you said you wanted it to be in that Nintendo interview you and your brother had with a Nintendo guy that's posted on the game's official site.

Okay, time to stop. Breath. Phew....

Anyway, I vote for making a brand new series. Something fresh, but with people. People > Monkeys

And make sure Sakuraba is at the top of his game. :D

EAD 4 do Pikmin? Hmm.

I know NSMB is meant to be a throwback style, and I do quite like the bold, simple aesthetic. It's just that I could never see this same team approaching DK from the same angle as Retro. I am certain they'd go way too zany with it.

But I guess you can never be sure. DKCR was quite a departure from Retro's usual style, and they pulled it off pefectly. But then, I do think a western studio is better positioned to grasp and aim to recreate the style of the DKC trilogy, because it was a product of western sensibilities.

I don't really see in what way DKC was designed in for western sensibilities, especially DKCR which brought the series far closer to a Mario feel than the SNES games.

BD1

Banned
I think this opens up a broader question for discussion - what's going on with the Donkey Kong IP?

DKCR was a smash hit. 5 million copies world wide would indicate that Nintendo should bring a sequel to market. But Retro is allegedly busy on a non-DK Wii U game. So what studio would be working on the game? NST?

Drago

I'd be fine with that. I didn't play DK64 a whole lot so a new 3D one would be almost completely fresh for me. Bring it on!

I think this opens up a broader question for discussion - what's going on with the Donkey Kong IP?

DKCR was a smash hit. 5 million copies world wide would indicate that Nintendo should bring a sequel to market. But Retro is allegedly busy on a non-DK Wii U game. So what studio would be working on the game? NST?

I doubt anyone is working on it at all. Nintendo doesn't have to release all their biggest games in the first couple of years of their platforms.

TreIII

I wouldn't mind it at all. DK64 was still a fun game, and 3D platforming has come a long way since 1999, such that I think a "sequel/successor" would be fun to see.

All I would ask is that we bring back K. Rool and the gang, along with being able to switch between DK, Diddy and other Kongs at will.

Mr_Moogle

Was never a fan of the original but I would love to see a new fully 3D DK platformer. Would also like them to keep making more DKC games.

I'd put Retro on Star Fox. That franchise really needs a kick up the ass. As much as I'd like to see a Retro made Zelda, I'm pretty happy with the direction its been going and would leave it to a Japanese team for now.

DK64 was a low point for the series, I collected everything in that game... I would rather see something original or another Country game.. but not a DK64 style game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ibjkljZMYIf19m.gif

Do it! Do it do it do it do it!

I don't really see in what way DKC was designed in for western sensibilities, especially DKCR which brought the series far closer to a Mario feel than the SNES games.

How did Returns feel more like a Mario game to you?

I don't think DKC was specifically designed for a western audience, but that the music, the visual style, and the overall naturalistic, subdued vibe the series had was all, together as a package, a result of it being created in the west.

Jungle Beat demonstrated just how differently Nintendo's Japanese team approached this series. That game was crazily surreal, loud, and bombastic - totally different style altogether.

Wii Tank

One of my top N64 games and I would absolutely love to see a sequel. There aren't enough new adventure platformers out there and I would love to see another Banjo Kazooie style game like DK64 was. Just keep the bosses as fantastic as DK64 is all I ask

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Eww, no. DK64 was the N64's biggest disappointment for me.

zeelman

I'm fine with this, as long as I'm not forced to play through several levels of the Donkey Kong arcade game with only one life to be able to progress further into the game.

Retro has two teams now. I think DKCR2 should've been their Wii sendoff this year, but I'm guessing it'll end up a 3DS or Wii U game now.

flippedb

Banned
What the...? Do you really don't like DK64? It was perfect, amazing, I'd definitely buy a sequel of it.

God I loveeeed DK64. Good times.

Retro has two teams now. I think DKCR2 should've been their Wii sendoff this year, but I'm guessing it'll end up a 3DS or Wii U game now.

I don't believe Retro actually has two teams. They only have like 60-70 employees and seem to keep hiring to try and fill positions to finish the Wii U game. Unless that team is very very small that is which would mean they were doing something extremly small like E-shop.

How did Returns feel more like a Mario game to you?

The level design and controls certainly felt more like they were going for a mario feel. This makes sense though since they had EAD helping them on the level design and going back and forth all through development.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You are crazy as shit...jak and daxter was out on ps2.

Keyword being proper ;).

I'd love them doing DK64 2, there's a severe lack of new traditional 3D platformers and I really like Camelot's work, so a really really hope Nintendo gives them the license.

I kind of feel the Super Mario Galaxy team should return and re-invent Donkey Kong in 3D. They are apparently the only team to make a good 3D platformer in the last generation.

Also the team that thought every Donkey Kong character sans Donkey Kong wasn't good enough to be in a Donkey Kong game (Jungle Beat).

Let's not go there.

Teknoman

Honestly i'd like to see a DK RPG with a battle system like Paper Mario, and overworld with a mixture of DKC returns style and 3D platforming.

leroidys

Honestly i'd like to see a DK RPG with a battle system like Paper Mario, and overworld with a mixture of DKC returns style and 3D platforming.

I recently played through Bowser's Inside Story, and couldn't help but think how awesome another game starring DK could be.

_machine

Oh please God I want to see this happen.

DK64 is easily amongst one of my favorite games, even if part of that is due to nostalgia, but I still play regularly and I think it hasn't lost much of it's magic due to the age. I can't say I mind the endless collecting either, the slightly numb controls and somewhat though difficulty in some parts are the only things I don't quite like about the original.

PokéKong

The idea of this excites me, but what exactly would such a game be like? What would basically the Donkey Kong equivalent of Super Mario Galaxy even be? I liked DK64 for what it was, but such a plain concept can't stand up as it is in the industry today.

Glass Rebel

One of my former favourite developers. What the fuck happened?

Get your shit together first and make a good RPG again, then we can talk about a platformer.

The world desperately needs more 3D platformers and I always need more DK, it goes without saying i'm all for this idea. I don't care if it's short platforming stages like Mario 3D Land or big open worlds like DK64, just make it happen.

Top Bottom