• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot's Mario Tennis GBC Comes to 3DS eShop (Best Mario Tennis)

Rich!

Indeed, Wario Land alone is worth buying the system for. Such an amazing game.
I wrote an FAQ for it too. That was a fun experience.

I'm still amazed that it hasn't been released on the 3DS. It's 3D ready, an excellent showcase of 3D, has a screen ratio that's 3DS friendly, simple to emulate and on top of all that, it's one of the best platformers ever made. And pretty much no one has ever played it.

It would sell a ridiculous amount. I don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

Orayn

I really wish Camelot had stuck with the "sports academy RPG" angle for all of their Mario sports titles. It gave them a lot of longevity compared to how barebones the modern ones feel.

kulapik

I absolutely loved Mario Power Tennis (Power Tour in the US) for the GBA, minigames were awesome! I would love to try this, but I don't have a 3DS and don't plan to get one.

Excellent. Such a great game. I literally started playing tennis as a kid because of this game.

I'm impressed with the quality of the 3DS GBC VC lineup, considering how few titles there are. All of my childhood favorite games except Pokemon G/S are there.

Oh man! I loved the hell out of this game, I remember transferring my characters (all 4) to the 64 game. <3

I lost my physical GBC copy but still own my Advanced one, never will give that away.......so sad with the lazy 3DS version. -__-

Sanjuro

Some of the best memories with this game. Also, one of the truly hard Mario Sports games ever. Game is easy enough to do well, but when you get to the latter stages...yikes.

Some of the best memories with this game. Also, one of the truly hard Mario Sports games ever. Game is easy enough to do well, but when you get to the latter stages...yikes.

I remember Golf being almost impossible to 100%. Like you had to get chip-in's from such far places.

Zephyrus

Banned
are waluigi and wario unlocked in this version?

I was pretty bummed out at the time when you had to connect the GBC to a nintendo 64 version of the game to unlock them and bowser.

Fandangox

This was one of my favorite Game Boy Color games when I was kid, man the memories.

Was that Green Haired dude from the Elite even unlockable? I remember trying to get him but I never could.

Oh shoot I am buying this as soon as the eshop functions. Idk what happened to my old cartridge. I hope it outsells the actual 3ds mario tennis 100 fold

Artorias

Banned
Awesome, I'll probably get this. I bought very few GBC games back in the 90s, mostly the few RPGs.

Is Mario Golf out in the US already? I see people mentioning it but I'm just making sure. I always wanted to play that.

maxcriden

Awesome, I'll probably get this. I bought very few GBC games back in the 90s, mostly the few RPGs.

Is Mario Golf out in the US already? I see people mentioning it but I'm just making sure. I always wanted to play that.

Japan October 3, 2012
USA October 11, 2012

No PAL release yet though....

DasFool

This game is the best kept secret of the GBC. I didn't know a lot of people who had it but goddamn did I have so much fun playing it. Camelot in their golden years.

I love this game, and it makes me real sad to see the latest ones don't have that wonderful RPG quest that I so much loved in the past.

Bring back that mode, Nintendo!

maxcriden

Wonder if when they add N64 games to Wii U VC and Mario Golf and Tennis 64, they'll allow Transfer Pak compatibility.

That would be amazing. One day it would be super interesting if they did that with Pokemon R/B/Y and Pokemon Stadium as well. I have to say with the current VC situation being what it is I do find it hard to picture anything like this happening anytime soon, although I'd be glad to be wrong about this.

Grizzo

are waluigi and wario unlocked in this version?

I was pretty bummed out at the time when you had to connect the GBC to a nintendo 64 version of the game to unlock them and bowser.

Well, seeing as Nintendo always release straight-up emulated ports with no tweaks whatsoever (you can't play Donkey Kong 94 with the Super Game Boy borders), don't hold your breath. I think this one will be Wario, Waluigi and Bowser-less :(
(but I'd be glad to be proven wrong)

Camwi

I can confirm that it's the best (single player) Mario Tennis experience. The RPG elements are awesome.

maxcriden

Well, seeing as Nintendo always release straight-up emulated ports with no tweaks whatsoever (you can't play Donkey Kong 94 with the Super Game Boy borders), don't hold your breath. I think this one will be Wario, Waluigi and Bowser-less :(
(but I'd be glad to be proven wrong)

Nah, I think you are almost certainly right. It would take more re-coding and revamping of the game itself than I think Nintendo has time/resources/willingness to do for VC games for the most part (including the guide with Earthbound was really more of an exception that proves the rule).

Tiu Neo

Finally! Loved to play that when I was younger, and was very disapointed when they removed the RPG mode on the 3DS game.

Will get it asap.

This game was amazing. I bought the N64 version of Mario Tennis on the Wii VC thinking it would have similar gameplay. Boy was I miffed when I found how was a shit game it was. GBC version is the best version.

Grizzo

Nah, I think you are almost certainly right. It would take more re-coding and revamping of the game itself than I think Nintendo has time/resources/willingness to do for VC games for the most part (including the guide with Earthbound was really more of an exception that proves the rule).

Woah, the guide is included with Earthbound ? Man I'm THIS close to buying a Wii U right now... But yeah, I wish they would treat the Virtual Console better than that. It was a good idea around the time of the Wii, but now it's looking like a mess.

maxcriden

Woah, the guide is included with Earthbound ? Man I'm THIS close to buying a Wii U right now... But yeah, I wish they would treat the Virtual Console better than that. It was a good idea around the time of the Wii, but now it's looking like a mess.

Ah man, you have to buy a Wii U! So much amazingness on there, including on the eShop. Yeah, Earthbound includes the original guide that came with the game, which is a Nintendo-made full strategy guide. I agree with you that VC is a bit of a scattershot mess at the moment, but I am hopeful it will improve.

Only played a couple of matches, but this is a pretty nice looking GBC game visually. Plays like a dream too. Can't wait to sink my teeth into the RPG mode.

dock

I loved the RPG elements in the PSP Hotshots game.
I wish I had picked this up back in the day.

I didn't enjoy the new 3DS Mario Tennis at all, and it's my first time trying the series.

dreamfall

My goodness, today is a great day.

I loveloveloved this game- still boot it up on the SP. The only thing I'm wondering is how we can transfer those n64 exclusive characters!

Hot Shots definitely had a wonderful tennis story. But damn, Camelot did wonderful things when this came out- it made me wish Mario Tennis on the 3DS was more like it!

Top Bottom