• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot's Mario Tennis GBC Comes to 3DS eShop (Best Mario Tennis)

TheOGB

Banned
IT'S ABOUT
FUCKING
TIME

This was my goddamn jam back in the day. I've long since lost my GBC and the cartridge to this, but every time I go in my desk drawer and see the manual this song plays in my head and I heave a nostalgic sigh.

Downloading at the speed of light

Memles

Thanks for this thread—I had picked up Mario Golf GBC as a Club Nintendo perk, and figured I'd pay them for this one so that I'm at least somewhat paying Nintendo for the privilege of reliving these teenage handheld glories.

The revisiting has been nostalgic, if not necessarily fulfilling. This isn't to say I haven't put my due time into the games, as I have, but there wasn't a whole lot of challenge to be found. I had a similar experience with Golf, but there I found at least some inherent challenge in the gameplay, whereas Mario Tennis remains a pretty simple gaming experience through the Island Open: I didn't lose a set in the tournament (closest I came was 6-3), barely lost a game through the Junior/Senior/Varsity ranks, and in general found this to be a pretty streamlined experience compared to Golf (which with its multi-tournament system offers a bit more variety in gameplay/story from my perspective).

It's still a really purely engaging tennis game, but it's also one that feels one-dimensional when you discover serve-and-volley is such a clear winning strategy. If I had more time to invest I'd consider prioritizing spin (I've been ignoring it) and seeing if that makes a baseline game more effective, but a combination of drop shots and smashes makes the net game an almost TOO effective strategy. The level of play definitely picks up in the Island Open, but by the time I reached the second set in each match I'd figured them out and made adjustments accordingly.

These are still a great value, and I still want to know why in the world Camelot dropped the RPG elements from the series, but for me these are a brief nostalgic diversion more than something that returns me to the original experience. Perhaps this is just became memory kicks in and removes the learning curve, or perhaps they were just this easy to begin with.

also

Banned
Loved Mario Tennis on GBA, so I will definitely check this out.
Looking at Camelot's past hits really makes sad about how disappointing their last few games were. Hopefully MT on 3DS will be their return to glory.
IT'S ABOUT
FUCKING
TIME

This was my goddamn jam back in the day. I've long since lost my GBC and the cartridge to this, but every time I go in my desk drawer and see the manual this song plays in my head and I heave a nostalgic sigh.

Downloading at the speed of light
For some reason this tune reminded me of Golden Sun's battle theme.

Boney

Banned
It's a shit tennis game though, cpu is easily exploited and the rpg system adds nothing.

Was blown away by it as a kid, but Golf GBC is the better game by far, and N64 Tennis is still king

oti

Banned
I always wanted to play this game. 5€ is a lot nowadays (taking competing platforms and even other games in the same ecosystem into consideration) but I just have to try it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is seriously one of the best sports games of all time.

GET IT

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I loved it when I played it, but are you sure Mario Tennis GBA isn't better?
Yeah, the the GBA title introduces power shots which are overpowered and killed the pure Gameplay balance the Original had. How you spend your stats and the way you play is more important in the GBC title, while the GBA game is handholding the player with these power offense and defense skills.

It's still a great game, but having played both for more than 40 hours back then the Origin is way more satisfying Gameplaywise with its tighter controls and less imba moves.

Even though I have the cart to this still I decided to get it for my 2DS. It's still a great game, but I do wish the multiplayer was actually functioning in this game. Kinda sucks having a big button for it on the top right of the menu and it doesn't even do anything this time, not even the Linkup Failed screen. I did go in expecting no N64 characters/mini-games though so I'm not too disappointed that I'll never get those four characters here this time. Game's still very fun though.

Should I give GBC Mario Golf a shot at some point? I never was too wild on Mario Golf on gamecube so I kinda averted from the rest of those games for that reason.

KemoSabe

so nintendo is still milking its old games...
why not the better gba version?
that is the best mario tennis.
come on nintendo...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
so nintendo is still milking its old games...
why not the better gba version?
that is the best mario tennis.
come on nintendo...

Because the GBA version isn't all that. I've never tried this GBC Mario Tennis but Power Shots is broken (it's also almost impossible to hit out of bounds) and it's too freakin' easy.

I remember enjoying Snoopy Tennis a lot on GBC :p

BowieZ

Banned
I know I'm late but I just got through to Senior Class.

So can anyone elaborate on what happens next? I mean, is it just matches to go from Junior > Senior > Varsity > Pro? How much other stuff is there in between?

maxcriden

I know I'm late but I just got through to Senior Class.

So can anyone elaborate on what happens next? I mean, is it just matches to go from Junior > Senior > Varsity > Pro? How much other stuff is there in between?

From what I can ascertain, it goes Senior > Varsity > ???. I don't want to spoil anything for you....

flowsnake

I think if I play this again I might ban myself from using drop shots. My main recollection of the game is just that spamming them bulldozes everyone until the tournament.

I'd rather get Mario Golf since I never played it, but Europe...

Auskeek

This was probably the only good GBC game I owned, and it was a damn good one. I remember getting the iron raquet and shoes super early to get 1.5exp.

Shame Mario Tennis needs to have all these insane power shots now, totally unnecessary.

maxcriden

What's better about it? I own the GBA game but have never played the GBC game.

If you read through the thread it seems to be the consensus. I don't remember if I played the GBA one but from what I understand the characters are over-powered. I also prefer the graphics of this one.

Tom_Cody

Can someone explain to me how experience progression works in this?

I have I'm about 90 minutes in and it seems that when I level up certain skill, other skills lose attributes. Is there a way to optimize this? And, more importantly, is it possible that I already gimped my character by not paying enough attention to this?

Thanks in advance.

terrisus

Working on one thing results in a slight reduction in other things, yes.
However, over time and with a proper spreading out of skills, everything will end up being higher.

There are ways to optimise things, but I wouldn't really say that you can "mess up" things.

Tom_Cody

Working on one thing results in a slight reduction in other things, yes.
However, over time and with a proper spreading out of skills, everything will end up being higher.

There are ways to optimise things, but I wouldn't really say that you can "mess up" things.
Thanks for the response.

So, if I level up one stat a few times in a row, other stats will go down, but this is only part of a natural balancing? Meaning, if I get one stat to 10 before touching the others and then bring the others up to 10, or if I bring them all up evenly to 10, the stats will be the same in the end?

Do I have it right?

Empty

i recently played this on vc. it's pretty good, though the end-game becomes a cakewalk once you learn how to play at the net effectively. that said i do find net play quite exciting in this game.

i like that the rpg elements force specialization. there's quite a lot of depth within a few inputs and such small courts too, especially battling within your characters limits. the feel of the drop shots and the lob shots is brilliant too, there's just the right amount of tension as you wait for the former to land and the way the lobs arc way into the sky and over the opponent is so satisfying.

not quite everybody's tennis psp tier but a very enjoyable little game.

maxcriden

Did not expect to see this thread back. I'm glad people are still enjoying this game, I found it incredibly addictive as a kid.

Tom_Cody

I'm continuing to play through this and I'm continuing to enjoy it. What a fun little game.

I recently played this on vc. it's pretty good, though the end-game becomes a cakewalk once you learn how to play at the net effectively. that said i do find net play quite exciting in this game.

I like that the rpg elements force specialization. There's quite a lot of depth within a few inputs and such small courts too, especially battling within your characters limits. the feel of the drop shots and the lob shots is brilliant too, there's just the right amount of tension as you wait for the former to land and the way the lobs arc way into the sky and over the opponent is so satisfying.

not quite everybody's tennis psp tier but a very enjoyable little game.
Can anyone speak more about this? In the aftermath of my earlier posts I decided to just start leveling everything evenly. Are there other potentially better leveling strategies? You seem to get punished severely for trying to specialize in anything so I have just kept everything even.

It depends on your play style. For the longest time I didn't spend anything on control, spent most on Power and Spin and some Speed until I had to grind out my Control to get through the last few Singles matches.

Tom_Cody

I just want to chime in and add one more thing: the soundtrack has a lot of really great tracks! Great work by Motoi Sakuraba.

I just got to the senior level matches and this song really caught me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06W9DshI9v0&list=PL76B15276239627AE

I invite others here to post your personal favorites. Here is the rest of the OST:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL76B15276239627AE

And, just for fun, here is the Mario Golf/Tennis arrangement he made for Brawl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJXrWrsN7wg

picked this up trying to min max my way to plat for club nintendo this year.

game is still fun.

surprised i remember that you can break the game by doing all the machine challenges and challenge stuff asap, you'd be in your high lvl 20s before your first rank match :p

game does drag a bit though i admit. ranked matches really should just be 1 set unless its the final one.

Game also plays surprisingly well with the slide pad.

Top Bottom