• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot's Mario Tennis GBC Comes to 3DS eShop (Best Mario Tennis)

djlr181

Can't believe I've never played this game when I love both Mario Golf GBC and Mario Tennis N64. Super excited to download!

For people who have played both Mario Golf and Mario Tennis on Game Boy Color, which is your favorite?

Cody_D165

Banned
Can't believe I've never played this game when I love both Mario Golf GBC and Mario Tennis N64. Super excited to download!

For people who have played both Mario Golf and Mario Tennis on Game Boy Color, which is your favorite?

Tennis by far. It's both my favorite Tennis game and my favorite Game Boy Color game. The academy setting of the story mode is much more enjoyable to me than the various clubs in Mario Golf, and the music is killer in Tennis. The gameplay is spot-on, too.

would love to see this turn into a lttp. i still think this is the best sports game ever, but its probably just nostalgia at this point.

its what modern virtua tennis kinda became but those just had those weird minigames that felt super out of place while everything in this felt 'probable'

Cody_D165

Banned
Just made it to singles varsity after playing on and off all day.

God I love this game. It really makes me wish they had included RPG elements in the 3DS Mario Tennis.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, whose idea was it to make the initial Ranking Matches two sets of six games? Since I'm low-leveled, me and the opponent are evenly matched so it took me like half an hour to beat each Junior Leader. :0

It's pretty fun so far (I really loved the N64 Tennis though) regardless, but damn I didn't expect the matches to be so long since it's portable.

Isotope

Whoever thought of putting RPG elements into a tennis game is a genius.

I played this game for hours. Thanks for the heads up about this being on the VC!

maxcriden

Man, whose idea was it to make the initial Ranking Matches two sets of six games? Since I'm low-leveled, me and the opponent are evenly matched so it took me like half an hour to beat each Junior Leader. :0

It's pretty fun so far (I really loved the N64 Tennis though) regardless, but damn I didn't expect the matches to be so long since it's portable.

I actually really like how long the matches are. It makes them feel more intense and real. I was surprised, too, how long they are given that it is a portable game.

Whoever thought of putting RPG elements into a tennis game is a genius.

I played this game for hours. Thanks for the heads up about this being on the VC!

My pleasure, glad you're digging it! Did you beat it already?

(BTW, the developer is RPG expert Camelot.)

But whoever thought of removing them from the series is an idiot.

Especially from the handheld tiles where a beefy single player mode is more crucial.

Mario Kat DS is one of my favorites because of the sizable Mission Mode. Mario Tennis 3DS had a few decent looking modes, but none of them looked HALF as good as a full sized RPG mode like the GB and GBA versions had. Online Multiplayer really doesn't make up for the lack of it for me.

Mario Tennis on the 3DS was such a lazy effort in general. I hope that the longer time the new golf game is in the oven is so it can be a more feature complete game.

I hope so too, but I feel a bit like the only reason they bothered with it for the GBA versions of tennis/golf is because they had the golden sun engine all set up and perfect for the rpg half of the game. Obviously there isn't one of those yet for the 3DS, so I won't be getting my hopes up.

I remember playing this or it was the GBA version? Was there a GBA version I'm not sure? I'm pretty sure I played one of them. And it was an alright game.

I'll look forward to this.

maxcriden

Nintendo Life:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/mario_tennis_gbc

Some may call fault with Mario Tennis’s stripped multiplayer functionality and chopped roster, but those who never knew what was possible to be unlocked in the original version might never even realize the possibilities are missing. Mario Tennis still provides an amazingly tight and fun portable experience with a skillful shot system and an engaging RPG-like motif. So what if Mario doesn’t register as much? He’ll just have to make do with golf, baseball, football, every Olympic sport...

8/10

Yanksfan

No f'n way. Freakin awesome game.

It may be time I stop using my son's 3DS from time to time and just buy my own damn one.

Edit - Though, as good as this game is..it is not the best Mario sports title on the GBC. Mario Golf was.

Isotope

I actually really like how long the matches are. It makes them feel more intense and real. I was surprised, too, how long they are given that it is a portable game.

My pleasure, glad you're digging it! Did you beat it already?

(BTW, the developer is RPG expert Camelot.)

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I meant the GBC version. I played THAT for hours. Really, the RPG elements were (and still are) awesome. Very glad it's back on the VC. :D

But whoever thought of removing them from the series is an idiot.

Absolutely agree.

Daingurse

Wow, I remember this game quite well. That campaign is fucking amazing. I'm entertaining the download then . . . yep Mario Tennis GBC is that good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I never played a second of this game multiplayer and its still the GOAT. The only thing I really miss is the transfer pak feature.

Anth0ny

Still have my 100% GBC cart. Played the living fuck out of this game, and 100%'d the N64 game with it's help.

They seriously need to do this kind of stuff in the future (portable RPG that can link up to the console game in some way) to make me care about Mario Tennis/Golf again.

Oh wow, I remember this game being outstanding. Being able to walk around, explore the Academy, and talk to people in between matches added some great variety.

Top Bottom