• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Campus police shoot and kill LGBT activist armed with knife at university

dsk1210

I still dont understand why tazers or rubber bullets do not seem to be used to incapacitate in the US. Always lethal force.

Love that the family is looking at a civil suit versus the officers/police department. 36 hrs later, as if the facts are fully known at this point. With a prior suicide attempt known, what else was going on in their background known to persons who didn't stop this before this point? I know that is a lawyer speaking, but come on. This family is feeling tremendous grief and like a complete failure right now and looking for others to blame, but give me a break. I hope they are suing for police reforms and charities and not to make a buck for themselves.

I saw the footage and he/she was told numerous times to stand still and drop the knife and he kept shouting, "Kill me" with no lack of control and continued to head towards to the police.
I got the impression the activist wanted to be shot.

I think this person had issues and possibly wanted to try to stir an outrage.

Then why not back off (run away), and wait until an officer comes with the correct equipment.

The police absolutely cannot run away and leave a person wielding a deadly weapon. If they then go on to harm a member of the public, then what? Certainly anyone willing to approach the police with said weapon despite being repeatedly told to drop it can't be assumed to be joking or in a safe state of mind.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I am not understanding this "shoot them in the leg" posts. The femoral artery lives there. Like 30 to 60 seconds to bleed out if fucked with.

Then why not back off (run away), and wait until an officer comes with the correct equipment.

Are you serious? Run away and let an obviously unstable person run around the campus with knife.

These are some of the toughest situations to be in as a police officer, also those saying more training is needed need to understand that you can have some of the best training in the world but it won't ever compare to the real life situations you find yourself in. Training is done in a controlled environment were you know you're not going to get hurt or seriously hurt at least. In the real life situation your hearts pounding like crazy, your sweating, and you even feel sick to your stomach sometimes. Academy's and boot camps try to emulate this feel but like I said it doesn't compare to the real thing. The best situation would have been one officer with a taser and another with a gun just in case the taser was ineffective but it looked like they didn't have that option.

Too bad the person couldn't find the help necessary to beat the mental illness before this happened.

BTA

People keep using "he" and "she" to describe Scout here, but as the OP mentions, they didn't identify as male or female. This article shows that they used they pronouns.

I know this is minor but at least give them that much respect after their death and don't misgender them.

EDIT:

I see I'm not the only one saying this, including someone who knew them. I hope people pay more attention.

It amazes me how many people just go and say that this is all how it's supposed to be and this is a normal proper police procedure, like it's only way to do things and intentionally ignore DOZENS upon DOZENS of posts, many with links for proof, of how european countries somehow manage to do things differently and it works. But no, AMerican way is only way, all other ways don't exist, that's just "hollywood". No wonder police violence is such a problem there...

I still dont understand why tazers or rubber bullets do not seem to be used to incapacitate in the US. Always lethal force.

Because you wouldn't hear about it if that was it (except the rare occasion where something worse happens like that person falling and hitting their neck, etc)

dsk1210

Because you wouldn't hear about it if that was it (except the rare occasion where something worse happens like that person falling and hitting their neck, etc)

I hear stories in the UK where I am from about crazed knifemen taken down with tazers.

The US is so far gone that militarized policing seems normal.

Police lives matter less than civilian lives - they signed up to protect and serve.

They must be willing to put themselves at risk to save civilians (even unstable ones). Non-lethal takedown should have been attempted, even if it meant greater personal risk to the police.

Amory

Police lives matter less than civilian lives - they signed up to protect and serve.

They must be willing to put themselves at risk to save civilians (even unstable ones). Non-lethal takedown should have been attempted, even if it meant greater personal risk to the police.
Cops are supposed to be there to protect and serve the populace from dangerous people like this one. The other people at the university were the ones being protected. From Scout.

That's not to say it wouldn't obviously be better if they could've used a taser, but that doesn't appear to have been an option.

Two Words

This is gross.

Aselith

I saw the footage and he/she was told numerous times to stand still and drop the knife and he kept shouting, "Kill me" with no lack of control and continued to head towards to the police.
I got the impression the activist wanted to be shot.

The cops are always happy to oblige on that request. Obviously tasers and stuff are not something you'd bother with.

PS fuck the police

So you say some pretty stupid stuff on a discussion forum and then don't want to discuss it. Cool.
Okay man then please tell me why I am the stupidest person in the room for saying something that I thought was good. Please let me know about what I should have done instead of my stupid crap.

iPorygon

Just got an alert from campus to Seek Shelter Immediately

Pictures of rioting happening at the Vigil for Scout. Getting pictures of a car on fire by the Campus Police Station. Shit is going crazy.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like people set a police car on fire. Entire Campus is shut down.

tS6KQlT.jpg

Wildo09

That person was not on a right state of mind, I feel bad for the cops that have to deal with that person's decision.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
While we seldom say so, many forms of mental illness are chronic and/or fatal

It would be great if we could find a way not to kill sick people for acting sick

RIP Scout

Just got an alert from campus to Seek Shelter Immediately

Pictures of rioting happening at the Vigil for Scout. Getting pictures of a car on fire by the Campus Police Station. Shit is going crazy.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like people set a police car on fire. Entire Campus is shut down.
People rioting over a suicide by cop? Of all the stupid things..

NoRéN

Wtf!

Jeffrey

The gatech police were all nice people when I went to that school. Awful they had to be put into this situation.

The other angle worth discussing, gatech's consoling department is trash,which is problematic for a school known for its super tough courses. They've shooed away my friend that were sexual assaulted. Doesn't seem like she was the first either,from talking to other people.

This may sound incredibly stupid and I probably completely missed the mark, but if I was a police officer my priority would be too keep people safe. And if that requires me to sacrifice my own life to keep an innocent safe then I know what I must do.

I'm not a police officer so I can't speak for them in that sense but you have to know how to act when the moment comes. You have to think of the best possible outcome to a developing situation. Some cops unfortunately don't do that.
So you're saying you would let the person stab you......to do what then? After you're stabbed to death and die who's to say they wouldn't find someone else to kill? You'd be a pretty useless cop.

Its not suicide if someone else kills the person wanting to die. These officers basically were the doctors in assisted suicide.
That makes is suicide by cop. Calling 911 to report someone with a gun/weapon, and then when cops arrive you have said weapon in hand and are provoking them.

iPorygon

Video of the march to GTPD prior to the riot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHao1eh0qw

A lot of it are non-students it seems.

The other angle worth discussing, gatech's consoling department is trash,which is problematic for a school known for its super tough courses. They've shooed away my friend that were sexual assaulted. Doesn't seem like she was the first either,from talking to other people.

I know they're trying to get better with counseling. The problem is that they have so few counselors to really meet the demand, I've had friends how try to set up appointments and have to wait weeks to meet with someone. Can't really speak to the quality of the consulers, when I went the guy was nice enough, though he was eager to get me help with a therapist outside the school, which is kinda telling.

mAcOdIn

Their mindset of why they did it. Not mine. I broke it down on why I feel they did it, not how I would have done it.

I would have tried everything I possibly could before taking a life. I did it in one particular case where I guy charged me with a bat, from about 25 feet. The time it took me to pull my tazer instead of my weapon I was within swinging distance. I put that guys life above mine in what was basically a blink of an eye.
And that's honestly above and beyond what I'd ever personally ask from you in all honesty, so thank you.

I just want to reiterate that my main gripe is with groups of cops, not generally single cops. I have absolutely no desire to armchair quarterback individual one on one encounters with people. When things are even I feel all bets are off personally. I know some here would argue otherwise and say every cop should always risk themselves but I'm not that soft. If the odds are even I want cops to prioritize themselves and the public at large first. But when the odds are heavily stacked in the polices' favor and they still resort to what's essentially executing people at that point, I have a problem with that.

cromofo

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Sounds like suicide by cop. Feel for the cop as well.

People rioting, smh.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Knives are lethal weapons. Even a 'small student' could easily kill somebody with a slice or stab in the right area.

Per the article, the student didn't respond to officers and continued to advance upon them despite numerous verbal warnings.

There is plenty of unjustified violence and outright murder by police in America, but this isn't one of those cases.

Shame tasers ceased to exist roughly 2 years ago.

cromofo

Why couldn't they have used tasers, rubber bullets or pepper spray?

Range on pepper spray and tasers is low. Taser is a one shot, so it's risky. Don't know about rubber bullets, maybe they didn't have one.

At a taser/spray distance, it's easier for the knifeman to run and stab you than it is to draw a gun and shoot them. Bulletproof vests don't stop blades.

Usually, the force used should be proportional to the risk, in this case, risk of getting stabbed is death so they used appropriate force. It's not like they didn't warn the person multiple times. You also don't know if the person is on drugs/high or something.

Advancing a cop with a weapon = death. Don't do it.

Range on pepper spray and tasers is low. Taser is a one shot, so it's risky. Don't know about rubber bullets, maybe they didn't have one.

At a taser/spray distance, it's easier for the knifeman to run and stab you than it is to draw a gun and shoot them.

Usually, the force used should be proportional to the risk, in this case, risk of getting stabbed is death so they used appropriate force. It's not like they didn't warn the person multiple times. You also don't know if the person is on drugs/high or something.

Advancing a cop with a weapon = death. Don't do it.

Did you watch the video? There was no risk. All the officers were 10-15ft away and had plenty of room to continue backing up if needed. No one was getting stabbed.

Absolute terrible police work as always.
it wasn't handled in the best manner, but for once let's say that the blame isn't entirely on the police force..
kid was clearly not in his right mind and the police actually PROMPTED for him to drop the knife several time and he ignored the order and advanced with a knife..
granted, I doubt a lot of harm could be done, but for once I have to admit that the blame is not on the police..
kid clearly was aiming for a "suicide by cops"..

Top Bottom