• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can MS change their ram to GDDR5 or is it too late at this point?

artist

Banned
I'm not insisting anything, but I'm not taking specs from February of last year as 100% final specs. The fact that only Sony has been able to make changes, and a very big one at the last minute is subject to suspect.
I dont find it difficult to digest that people are less willing to believe a thing with 1% chance over 2%.

UberTag

But still you have the Flowerbros whining that they are only concentrating on casual, while closing their eyes and ears when Sony gave primer one to Wonderbook and Media Molecule demoed a Move game onstage in New York.
Dude, your point is sound but don't label Sony enthusiasts as Flowerbros.
That's an insult to Flower. Flower's an amazing experience.
Thatgamecompany can do no wrong in my book.

I don't know that they can make significant spec changes, but whatever they're doing, I hope MS brings it. big time.

I'm really hoping that they're not going to focus too much on entertainment/tv and media extras. thats not what i'm looking for. i'm looking for the system that advances gaming. Sony did the right thing in setting the bar so far, if MS match it then as gamers it will be glorious.

People have been suggesting that Win 8 takes up oodles of Ram on the Durango because the whole OS is in there. I'm not doubting much of the specs and I'm not doubting always on or used games. I do doubt developer friendly as its just a pc processor and to build for Win 8/PC with C++ is par. It is obvious that the OS is going to grow due to multitasking that will likely form a larger part of the experience.

I don't get this idea that people think that MS is just going to install Win 8 on the 720 and not have a unique OS? I think I remember people thinking that the original xbox would run windows as well. I would be shocked, Shocked! that 720 would be running win 8. MS will make a unique OS for the 720, it will look very metro, for sure, but it wont be running win 8.

*based off of my gorilla logic

at this point the only thing that MS can do now is launch at E3. everything points to xbox going in the opposite direction I want them to go. weaker system, paywall, lack of first party effort, developers frustration with their policies, kinect.

Kyon

Banned
But still you have the Flowerbros whining that they are only concentrating on casual, while closing their eyes and ears when Sony gave primer one to Wonderbook and Media Molecule demoed a Move game onstage in New York.

All consoles want the casual audience it has no bearing on the specs issue.

Death @ Flowerbros. Lord y'all are messy let me leave

lol, sony suddenly adds 4 more gigs fo ddr5 but microsoft cant?

This is what I don't get.

What's with the double standard?

If any company can afford the cost of last minute changes, its Microsoft. Hell, Epic forced their hand with the 360.

I've got a sneaking suspicion Sony's last minute RAM bump was in response to some info they got a whiff of out of Redmond.

It has been said multiple times before:

Doubling the RAM is soooo much easier than what Microsoft would have to do in order to increase system performance. They would have to rework the complete chip design, and completely scrap things like ESRAM, their memory controller etc. - all of that maybe 3 months before mass-production. That's not really doable.

Reiko

Banned
Gemüsepizza;48071125 said:

Doubling the RAM is soooo much easier than what Microsoft would have to do in order to increase system performance. They would have to rework the complete chipdesign, and completely scrap things like ESRAM, their memory controller etc. - all of that maybe 3 months before release. That's not really doable.

Unless things have changed already.

Or are we supposed to believe MS has been sitting on the same specs for almost an entire year?

Doubling the RAM is soooo much easier than what Microsoft would have to do in order to increase system performance. They would have to rework the complete chip design, and completely scrap things like ESRAM, their memory controller etc. - all of that maybe 3 months before mass-production. That's not really doable.

no they wouldn't, all they would have to do is account for the extra size/power consumption.

I remember when the original Xbox was coming out and they Dev kits started with an rough equivalent PC you needed to build and the slowly morphed into the actual machine over what seemed like 6 iterations.

Same thing with the 360. Real dev kits hit only a month or two before release for us. No clue how flexible the specs ever were during that period though. It was that you needed this type of card, this much ram, etc. Just like the PS 4 the first thing that was actual Xbox 360 was the controller.

I doubt anything will change but it could be that reported specs/hardware is the equivalent available devkit and not the actual machine itself. Who know though.

Really nice to know that the PS4 is clean and concise when it comes to the GPU, CPU, Ram, storage, and base input device. Glad that Cell is out of the picture and dev tools can mature and be shared across platforms with more confidence.

Satchel

Banned

Yet people continue to base their "facts" off rumours based on almost year old hardware.

no they wouldn't, all they would have to do is account for the extra size/power consumption.

Extra size because of what? Cooling because of higher clocks? This is an APU. There are thermal power limits, you can't just increase clock frequencies from the GPU part by a considerable amount without it affecting the rest of the chip.

Yet people continue to base their "facts" off rumours based on almost year old hardware.

Those rumors did turn out true when looking at the PS4.

Satchel

Banned
Gemüsepizza;48071203 said:
Extra size because of what? Cooling because of higher clocks? This is an APU. There are thermal power limits, you can't just increase clock frequencies from the GPU part by a considerable amount without it affecting the rest of the chip.

Not really. They doubled the ram.

Reiko

Banned

In Sony's case, the leaks were more up to date compared to MS.

The roadmap leak kept everyone up to speed on PS4 using 4GB GDDR5.

artist

Banned

Or are we supposed to believe MS has been sitting on the same specs for almost an entire year?
Unless MS wants to change the memory subsystem completely and throw away all their investment on the original spec, they will prefer to sit on the same architecture. A radical shift like that would also incur potential coding/library/tool changes.

DEADEVIL

Dude, your point is sound but don't label Sony enthusiasts as Flowerbros.
That's an insult to Flower. Flower's an amazing experience.
Thatgamecompany can do no wrong in my book.

I also own Flower bro (dump pun intended) and Im also a fan of ThatGC. Which means that Flowerbros and Dudebros can like the same games. Which is weird becuase it seems some people label others because They can't handle that all gamers can enjoy games that are not their preference or their preferred console.

This has nothing to do with Sony. Games like Call of Duty are the top selling games on The PS3 as well as the Xbox.

This is what I was responding to

The rumored Durango specs are still a nice leap over the current generation, people need to remember that.

MS won't be goig after the GAF crowd this time around. Their goal will be to capture casuals with Kinect 2.0 and the "dudebro" crowd with their yearly COD fix.

Aside from RAM, you mean?

Not that it makes them any more reliable, unless your wishful thinking extends to MS sitting on their hands for a year.

Reiko

Banned
Unless MS wants to change the memory subsystem completely and throw away all their investment on the original spec, they will prefer to sit on the same architecture. A radical shift like that would also incur potential coding/library/tool changes.

If things have changed, that would have been known beforehand.

El_Chino

Honestly the likeliest change to happen to Durango would be 10-12GB of DDR3 RAM, I wouldn't even hope for anything more than that.

Satchel

Banned
Gemüsepizza;48071274 said:
Which is absolutely trivial compared to a redesign of a chip which is very difficult to produce.

Sorry, don't buy it.

When the idea of the PS4 going to 8GB DDR5 was brought up in those threads. It was written off as HUGELY costly and borderline impossible.

Now its trivial? Right.

artist

Banned
If things have changed, that would have been known beforehand.
A reaction to a recent spec bump (weeks old) that MS predicted over a year ago. What are the chances?

Besides, MS knows very well that the console war is not won on pure spec alone, current-gen is a good example.

Sorry, don't buy it.

When the idea of the PS4 going to 8GB DDR5 was brought up in those threads. It was written off as HUGELY costly and borderline impossible.

Now its trivial? Right.

Because at that time, memory chips of the needed size simply weren't ready. Now they are. Still a completely different thing than a redesign of the APU.

Reiko

Banned
A reaction to a recent spec bump (weeks old) that MS predicted over a year ago. What are the chances?

Besides, MS knows very well that the console war is not won on pure spec alone, current-gen is a good example.

Just remember, the rumored spec bump to the CPU was not in the leak from February of last year. So we really have no idea what else has changed.

This is what I don't get.

What's with the double standard?

If any company can afford the cost of last minute changes, its Microsoft. Hell, Epic forced their hand with the 360.

I've got a sneaking suspicion Sony's last minute RAM bump was in response to some info they got a whiff of out of Redmond.

GDDR5 has a special technique built into the spec for doubling capacity by soldering chips on opposite sides of a PCB. All Sony had to do to double the RAM for PS4 was basically decide to order twice as many chips and use this technique.

The desperate way you cling to the purported age of the specs is really sad. That may be how long ago they were first disseminated, but leakers have had a whole year to tells us about changes and there have been none. In fact most people who seem to have actual knowledge are suggesting they remain spot on.

After they go back to the drawing board on the actual chip design that had to have been finished last year... The type of RAM you connect to a processor is governed by the kind of memory controller that processor has built into it. You can't just swap to a different kind of RAM. First you have to redesign the fucking chip. Likewise you can't just increase the amount of Embedded Memory on a chip. The chip was designed to interface with a certain amount, and was laid out to accommodate a certain amount. Any change means going back to the design phase and starting all your testing over. The lead time on that is significant.

madmackem

Yeah this, im not going to front and say i know the ins and outs of anything, but even from a layman point there would be little chance of a full redesign months before mass production starts. These machines arnt just knocked out over night they take months and years to get to the stage we are at now. Bumping the ram up is a little different from changing the type of ram. Wouldnt bumping the ddr 3 to 16 also be pointless cost?.

You're talking about making a games console, the specs were decided years ago with incremental changes based around breakthroughs in testing ... possible bumps in clock speeds if they can keep the heat under control.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sorry, don't buy it.

Now its trivial? Right.

4GB of DDR5 RAM to 8GB of DDR5 RAM is much different than the leap of DDR3 RAM to DDR5 RAM, if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: Dyslexia acting up again.

Satchel

Banned
Gemüsepizza;48071341 said:
Because at that time, memory chips of the needed size weren't ready. Now they are. Still a completely different thing than a redesign of the APU.

Even now, Digital Foundry aren't sure how they're going to do it, let alone without increasing the cost of the console alone.

Reiko

Banned
The desperate way you cling to the purported age of the specs is really sad. That may be how long ago they were first disseminated, but leakers have had a whole year to tells us about changes and there have been none. In fact most people who seem to have actual knowledge are suggesting they remain spot on.

Just like you were sure that the CPU in Durango from February was a lock. Sure.

Just pixie dust.

The spec bump to the CPU isnt even reported from a reliable source yet. Unless you consider SuperDAE reliable .. woosh.

That was from BGAssassin actually. SuperDAE never said anything about a CPU bump.

nib95

Banned
zI0K4VK.jpg

16gb

16gb is utterly pointless. At the bandwidth they're at currently, you can only actually access 1gb per frame at 60fps, and 2gb per frame at 30fps. You'd never need to preload 16gb in memory for just a single scene or area lol. The actual bandwidth is much more important.

Pistolero

Not really. They doubled the ram.

EDGE got it right. It is possible that the decision to shift to 8GB was decided upon really, really recently, hence why it wasn't reported by VGleaks and the likes. But the rumors rearding the GPU, CPU, controller, share Button...were SPOT ON.
It's not a matter of adding more GB, but rather having a good reason to do so. Yeah, MS could augment the RAM capacity, but to really take advantage of it, they would have to upgrade the GPU; otherwise, it would benefit solely multitasking.
Now, the real question is to know whether MS has had multiple designs to chose from from te get go. This a a much more interesting possibility...

Spongebob

Banned
Reiko does your confidence in MS improving Durango's specs come from lherre's statement about the two platforms being close?

ypo

Hey guys, the PS4 is powerful why can't the WiiU be just as powerful :( If Sony can do it anyone can. Right guys?

Reiko

Banned
Just like you were sure that the CPU in Durango from February was a lock. Sure.

The change that is completely unsubstantiated by anyone who's isn't proven to be very unreliable about unreleased specifications? You don't think the many, many, detailed leaks are reliable, but the first guy (who recently overestimated the WiiU GPU's capabilities in an almost pathological fashion by 2-4X it's actual power) that hints it might somehow be better than stock, is to be taken as fact?

Reiko

Banned
The change that is completely unsubstantiated by anyone who's isn't proven to be very unreliable about unreleased specifications? You don't think the many, many, detailed leaks are reliable, but the first guy (who recently overestimated the WiiU GPU's capabilities in an almost pathological fashion by 2-4X it's actual power) that hints it might somehow be better than stock, is to be taken as fact?

You better hold bgassassin to that since Y2Kev said he will ban him for lying.

Especially since he's backing his statement 100%.

Pistolero

I'll side with him on this one. On the VGleaks documents, there weren't that many details concerning the CPU (unless I'm mistaken).

Reiko

Banned
He's fled when his outlandish claims started proving false before.

Well he's going to be banned anyway for lying if false.

I don't know bg's track record to comment but it seems like you were very eager to believe any positive leak for Durango. If bg's correct then the rest of the things he said about Durango make it sound like a very poor platform.

If MS follows through with the rest of what he stated... They are done.

I'll side with him on this one. On the VGleaks documents, there weren't that many details concerning the CPU (unless I'm mistaken).

That only supports my position. The leak is vague enough on the CPU that even if it is twice as powerful as a stock Jaguar design, we can't conclude anything actually changed between then and now.

DEADEVIL

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47802013&postcount=996

Aside from the 4GB he already knew beforehand... (I highly doubt he knew about the 8GB)

Official PS4 specs and current Durango specs from February don't line up with what he said.

Passing along some info I just posted on B3D.

Xbox 3's CPU from a FLOPs perspective seems it may have as much as double the performance of "vanilla" Jaguar cores. .

My bad this was from February. Interesting

Top Bottom