• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree Hellblade 2 will be the benchmark for graphics upon release?

It definitely should be given the narrower scope of the game compared to many other impressive games, the new engine, the lack of last gen support and the years in the oven. It’ll be a looker.

MOTM

Banned
HFW looks better overall than this imo (and it's an open-world on top of that) but that might change once the full game's out, it's obviously gonna look amazing minus the facial model downgrade that happened in the on-the-rails gameplay demo they showed off last year. I think Spider-Man 2 & Death Stranding 2 will surpass this in overall graphical quality, which is why I bolded the "upon release" part, it's gonna look sick but I don't think it's gonna be benchmark setting.
Disagree with HFW and that’s out already for everyone to see so no need for a debate over that. The other two, there’s one that is 100% coming out after HB2 and there’s another one you haven’t even seen a screenshot of so that’s just wishful thinking.

3liteDragon

Disagree with HFW and that’s out already for everyone to see so no need for a debate over that. The other two, there’s one that is 100% coming out after HB2 and there’s another one you haven’t even seen a screenshot of so that’s just wishful thinking.
We can agree to disagree but HFW looks more impressive to me as of rn. The Spider-Man 2 reveal trailer was real-time footage on PS5 which is why I'm hyped for it this year, so no that ain't wishful thinking, here's some 4K shots I took directly using the video player.
vlcsnap-00001.png

vlcsnap-00002.png

vlcsnap-00005.png

vlcsnap-00001.png

vlcsnap-00002.png

vlcsnap-00004.png
And I think DS2 will be out before HB2 or they're gonna come out within the same time period, but I don't think it's gonna set the benchmark. I might be wrong who knows, we'll wait & see what the final retail version looks like.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Forbidden west is the best graphical game on any platform at the moment.

I am sure hellblade 2 will look really good but I don’t think it will be as impressive as the colour palette seems to be grey and mud
Same with FF16. Apparently everyone hates colour now.

Pelao

Horizon Forbidden West was a miserable experience and I've never been able to bring myself to finish the first Hellblade despite trying 3 times on different platforms. If the price to pay for the "benchmark for graphics" is to have these types of games, then you can keep it.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They're stepping it up a notch. It's gonna be a completely different experience now that Senua isn't alone anymore. I wonder how it's gonna work. It's usually quite difficult for a squizophrenic person to relate to other people. Especially because you can't draw a line between what is real and not real on the level that she was in the first game. We'll see, hopefully..

Kuranghi

They're stepping it up a notch. It's gonna be a completely different experience now that Senua isn't alone anymore. I wonder how it's gonna work. It's usually quite difficult for a squizophrenic person to relate to other people. Especially because you can't draw a line between what is real and not real on the level that she was in the first game. We'll see, hopefully..

I have a feeling any NPCs in this game are going to die in the cutscene you meet them, separated from you by a barrier, or dead within 30 minutes of meeting them.

Like an RE game, it's about despair, hopelessness and pushing on regardless maybe I'm wrong and the tone is different for HB2.

When we gonna see this game again?

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
After they cut what's needed back to run on Series S, I doubt its going to be that much more impressive than other studios' output using the same middleware engine.
I just got done rewatching the gameplay trailer and I came here to say this same thing

I just don't see the XSS running those visuals very well

DryvBy

Horizon Forbidden West was a miserable experience and I've never been able to bring myself to finish the first Hellblade despite trying 3 times on different platforms. If the price to pay for the "benchmark for graphics" is to have these types of games, then you can keep it.
Same. Horizon I've finished but the story isn't interesting at all. Hellblade is another level of pure boredom. They claim it's about mental illness and I think you need to be mentally ill to enjoy it.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I'm old enough to remember the gulf in fidelity between the Uncharted 4 teaser and the final game - and that's from a studio at the height of its power, with a reputation for setting visual benchmarks.

Last edited:

hlm666

Maybe after the ending of the first game she might have made some progress with her mental condition, I know that fucking around for 15 minutes before working out what I had to do gave me mental issues so I hope it helped her out..........

kingyala

Banned
i dont believe this simply because hellblade 1 didnt look that good and besides the good looking in engine cutscenes we have seen for hellblade 2, they havent yet showed us gameplay... and whenever a dev cant display gameplay! it means he isnt confident in his product... so its just hype.

After they cut what's needed back to run on Series S, I doubt its going to be that much more impressive than other studios' output using the same middleware engine.

Yeah any day now their gonna hit the "Series S button" and everything they've worked on over the last 5 years will magically take a massive hit visually.

Come on man..they've been working on both Series dev kits since 2019.
The game has to run on relatively weak PC's as well.

This game is going to stun yet again when new gameplay is shown.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah any day now their gonna hit the "Series S button" and everything they've worked on over the last 5 years will magically take a massive hit visually.

Come on man..they've been working on both Series dev kits since 2019.
The game has to run on relatively weak PC's as well.

This game is going to stun yet again when new gameplay is shown.

Its Unreal engine. We know how good that tech is, and we know what the capabilities of the Series S are versus a high end PC.

Its not a mystery! There is no special sauce. NT have very talented artists and usually excellent art direction, so I'm sure its going to look very good.
But jaw-droppingly, paradigm-shiftingly so? I really doubt it.

The bottom line is that its not using unique cutting-edge technology. Its using the most popular middleware engine, one that's bordering on an industry standard. That combined with the known limitations and restrictions imposed by having to target Series S, means that anyone else using the same engine and targeting a base-line for hardware resources higher than S (Say that Chinese Monkey King game) will by default be at a substantial advantage in terms of what they can do.

The amount of copium on this thread is astounding. People are desperate to downplay this game.

Op, we shall wait for the final product before judging it. At least, let's wait for E3 to see gameplay videos. Red dead redemption 2 still remains the benchmark for me.
This forum is heavily biased towards Sony. Anything positive said about Microsoft/Xbox gets laughed at or downplayed. And if you call it out then it's likely your posts will get deleted.

BootsLoader

Banned
Maybe after the ending of the first game she might have made some progress with her mental condition, I know that fucking around for 15 minutes before working out what I had to do gave me mental issues so I hope it helped her out..........
Nah dude, she just dropped the head she was carrying and went on to continue her life with the illness.

Also, benchmark is when Naughty Dog says so.

This forum is heavily biased towards Sony. Anything positive said about Microsoft/Xbox gets laughed at or downplayed. And if you call it out then it's likely your posts will get deleted.
I agree with you, it’s the same the other way around though. People just like to be negative about anything because somehow it gives them a small moment of satisfaction when they think they can take enjoyment away from other people.

Can’t wait for the day humanity will change and become more positive about things. It’ll help everyone.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Well, that thread aged like a fine wine.

But IMO it's not because the Hellblade 2 was downgraded (though I would argue that the animations in the cave demo were jittery), but because the overall industry has caught up. The game is clearly stuck in the development too much to impress.

Overall during all those summer presentations, Alan Wake 2 impressed me way more, considering somewhat similar dark style and realistic presentation.

BootsLoader

Banned

But IMO it's not because the Hellblade 2 was downgraded (though I would argue that the animations in the cave demo were jittery), but because the overall industry has caught up. The game is clearly stuck in the development too much to impress.

Overall during all those summer presentations, Alan Wake 2 impressed me way more, considering somewhat similar dark style and realistic presentation.
It became boring after so long, lost its momentum. Latest trailer from Hellblade 2 had me "oh, not her problems and whispers again" (rolleyes). Also, the game is downgraded so it is not what they thought it would be.

L*][*N*K

Banned
To me liner games are not the benchmark because it is easier to push it further without compromising as much, I mean if I am being honest a game the size of Starfield is more of a graphical benchmark than God Of War Ragnarok but I understand that not everyone agrees with me.

I think the latest trailer was just boring. It's got some cool stuff like the reality shattering bit, etc. It might be important in the game, I have no idea, but the it's someone in a cave talking to themselves, about things I have no idea about. It's just kind of noise. There's no context, and I have no idea how it'll play, or anything.

FingerBang

It became boring after so long, lost its momentum. Latest trailer from Hellblade 2 had me "oh, not her problems and whispers again" (rolleyes). Also, the game is downgraded so it is not what they thought it would be.
I don't understand why they're doing a AAA sequel to this game. The mechanics and story of the first one made sense for a smaller kind-of-budget game. Yes, the game was impressive graphically and Ninja Theory knows how to make gorgeous games, but they're hiping into the stratosphere a product that will, at best, fail to match expectations.

A little from column A, a little from column B. The rest of the industry is catching up with multiple games UE5 coming out in the next few years, and stuff like CP2077 path tracing, but the first look at the game was not representative of what the final product will look like. The latest trailer was a plain fucking joke. I don't understand how anyone could think that was a good idea and I hope we won't have to deal with Senua dealing with the voices in her head for most of the adventure.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don't understand why they're doing a AAA sequel to this game. The mechanics and story of the first one made sense for a smaller kind-of-budget game. Yes, the game was impressive graphically and Ninja Theory knows how to make gorgeous games, but they're hiping into the stratosphere a product that will, at best, fail to match expectations.
Couldn't agree more to be honest.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
They refuse to show gameplay somehow.
Thing is, the last demo was basically original Hellblade's core gameplay. First one is a walking sim with weak combat interactions and kinda annoying puzzling from time-to-time. And I have a hunch that NT kept the same basic concept in HB2 too, so if someone is thinknig about getting another God of War, I suggest a lot of people to lower their expectations.

Also, I too don't understand why Hellblade needed to be a franchise in the first place. The first one was a lightning in a bottle and didn't warranted and entire saga around it. But here we are.

Top Bottom