• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the PlayStation 5's size....

My original estimates were actually close at 610 in3, but it's even bigger than I expected... This is kind of ridiculous, the worst part is it's gigantic in two directions and will end up being nearly as thick as the Series X in the other direction when the REQUIRED stand is applied. Bear in mind it's required because of the strange shape otherwise it would just fall over.

PlayStation 5 (and this is without the stands)

Volume = 10.24×4.09×15.4 = 644.97664 inches3

Series X

Volume = 5.94×5.94×11.85 = 418.11066 inches3

The PS5 is 54% larger

It would seem that a split motherboard design is considerably more intelligent construction to ideally make use of space. I just find it crazy how you can have a computationally weaker system and it's this much larger, the largest console ever created.

Will this system actually present a problem for some of you putting it in your entertainment centers?

Last edited:
how big was phat ps3
Volume = 10.8×3.8×12.8 = 525.312 inches3

the volume of the PS5 should still be on par with the series x because of the form of the PS5 and those dimensions are from the max dimensions.
You don't measure volume of curves, you measure it with rectangularity. The rectangular area it will consume.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I think Sony designed the ps5 so big so you don’t buy an Xbox .

simply, there is no room for a second console .

this thing is massive in a stupid way .

not that I am going to complain because the bigger the box, in most cases means it’s better cooling / air flow .

Last edited:
artworks-000009145867-21vy63-t500x500.jpg

Banned
the system just about fits into one spot on my setup... like it has about 0.5 centimeters of space left ontop if layed down. and on the left I will have to move my og Xbox all the way over to the left and that's just about enough space for it to fit horizontally.

this thing is ridiculously big, like wtf?

My original estimates were actually close at 610 in3, but it's even bigger than I expected... This is kind of ridiculous, the worst part is it's gigantic in two directions and will end up being nearly as thick as the Series X in the other direction when the REQUIRED stand is applied. Bear in mind it's required because of the strange shape otherwise it would just fall over.

PlayStation 5 (and this is without the stands)

Volume = 10.24×4.09×15.4 = 644.97664 inches3

Series X

Volume = 5.94×5.94×11.85 = 418.11066 inches3

The PS5 is 54% larger

It would seem that a split motherboard design is considerably more intelligent construction to ideally make use of space. I just find it crazy how you can have a computationally weaker system and it's this much larger, the largest console ever created.

Will this system actually present a problem for some of you putting it in your entertainment centers?

Uw1AVzR.gif

Volume = 10.8×3.8×12.8 = 525.312 inches3

You don't measure volume of curves, you measure it with rectangularity. The rectangular area it will consume.
i just want to point out that the PS5 could be most likely smaller rectangular if they didnt use that curved design which is most likely 100% a artistic decision by Sony. thats why the weaker console is bigger

RCU005

I want to know how is it compared to the launch PS3. It seems like it's going to be as thick, but the PS5 is taller.

mancs

I know for a fact , box openers are slavering in anticipation , at nice large size, small consoles are shite , my p3 slim for instance , I preferred my original , and better made fatty. More silent and larger , is cool by me , and I like to feel like I'm buying something with size and weight , like a watch.

THE:MILKMAN

My CD Player is 904 inches3. Not an issue for even my small Ikea Besta unit that has 22" x 6" x 15" shelves.

ETA: To add to this I'm actually quite glad both consoles are big and quite heavy after my router, Cable TV box and UHD player are all weigh as much as a feather and get lifted by their own cables...Nightmare to deal with!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
We might know if Sony did their system teardown they promised 6 months ago...

You don't need a teardown. You need a system running at load. Further, it's something I want to see in the wild and not from Sony. Sub components like fans can vary depending on the factory they were manufactured in. Microsoft get the benefit of the doubt from me after One and One X. Sony's products have been fairly noisy fan wise since the PS3.

Last edited:

mancs

It's smaller than the box craigball©™ comes in.... Think it's a bit of troll fuss myself , nothing else to poke fun at , I know , I'm a big sexy good looking guy.

Andodalf

Banned
i just want to point out that the PS5 could be most likely smaller rectangular if they didnt use that curved design which is most likely 100% a artistic decision by Sony. thats why the weaker console is bigger

Using their measurements without protrusions, it’s still larger. And that doesn’t count the stand

Can Xbox Series X actually fit in any body's entertainment unit? Probably not. I don't care how wide or deep the PS5 is, it can fit in my unit. the XSX would have to sit on top of it. That's not acceptable.
It's 5.94" on its side, the PS5 is 4.09" on its side, with the stand probably nearer to 5"...

It's not like they're worlds apart in this regard.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

It better be quiet and cool. PS3 was massive but it ran hot and loud when it was about to die . MS has really stepped up their hardware design and quality, pretty close to Apple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom