• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the PlayStation 5's size....

Bigfroth

Wouldn't surprise me if Sony didn't consider powering that beefy bitch with 220V lol and make you wire in your own power cord like electric ovens lol🤪

base

Banned
x7itUUegJdYXjSf8o16hxeyHb6dIbbPq.jpg

My original estimates were actually close at 610 in3, but it's even bigger than I expected... This is kind of ridiculous, the worst part is it's gigantic in two directions and will end up being nearly as thick as the Series X in the other direction when the REQUIRED stand is applied. Bear in mind it's required because of the strange shape otherwise it would just fall over.

PlayStation 5 (and this is without the stands)

Volume = 10.24×4.09×15.4 = 644.97664 inches3

Series X

Volume = 5.94×5.94×11.85 = 418.11066 inches3

The PS5 is 54% larger

It would seem that a split motherboard design is considerably more intelligent construction to ideally make use of space. I just find it crazy how you can have a computationally weaker system and it's this much larger, the largest console ever created.

Will this system actually present a problem for some of you putting it in your entertainment centers?

I bet the PS5 though is going to be insanely quiet and cool compared to previous generations! But I am hoping I can cram that bad boy into my entertainment center, I only have 5" of clearance so it will be interesting...

Last edited:
Most people have units like this which don't have the tallest shelves. This is Tom Warren's. Most people are going to have to put the Series X on top. The PS5 is far easier to fit in a traditional shelf than the XSX. No question.

Ehki6whWAAIIAu2
I call total bullshit on that, I've seen about a thousand entertainment centers in peoples homes and I can tell you right now that this is an edge case design..

Few and I mean FEW are this thin vertically, you're looking for poor examples. Anyone with a brain can see that.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dude you are acting like you are going to fuck someone new, it's non issue.

As long as it's quiet, it's fine. Let PS people have quiet console in peace.

Last edited:
I call total bullshit on that, I've seen about a thousand entertainment centers in peoples homes and I can tell you right now that this is an edge case design..

Few and I mean FEW are this thin vertically, you're looking for poor examples. Anyone with a brain can see that.

The PS5 will fit under more TVs than the XSX will.

My original estimates were actually close at 610 in3, but it's even bigger than I expected... This is kind of ridiculous, the worst part is it's gigantic in two directions and will end up being nearly as thick as the Series X in the other direction when the REQUIRED stand is applied. Bear in mind it's required because of the strange shape otherwise it would just fall over.

PlayStation 5 (and this is without the stands)

Volume = 10.24×4.09×15.4 = 644.97664 inches3

Series X

Volume = 5.94×5.94×11.85 = 418.11066 inches3

The PS5 is 54% larger

It would seem that a split motherboard design is considerably more intelligent construction to ideally make use of space. I just find it crazy how you can have a computationally weaker system and it's this much larger, the largest console ever created.

Will this system actually present a problem for some of you putting it in your entertainment centers?

It's function over form for me. So if the PS5 needs to be that large to run cool, and not sound like a jet aircraft taking off at full throttle, then I don't care how big it is. I just can't go another generation like the PS4 Pro that I had to put up with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I’ve seen zero people I know with super thin media shelves like this stand.

that is definitely not a popular design.

but for anyone with a design like that then ya, Series X will need to be stood up in the top or on the side somewhere not blocking the TV.

Pallas

That GPU is running pretty hot, so it’s not too surprising. They are probably just covering their asses so that they don’t end up with a lot of consoles suddenly catching on fire.

Most people have units like this which don't have the tallest shelves. This is Tom Warren's. Most people are going to have to put the Series X on top. The PS5 is far easier to fit in a traditional shelf than the XSX. No question.

Ehki6whWAAIIAu2

Thats a horrible example, I don’t think the PS5 can fit in Those shelves and even if it did, you wouldn’t want it in a confined space. Just sit that shit on top.

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah, I have started having serious doubts about getting this console. Not only is it butt ugly, it's white (at least make it black so I can try to pretend it's not there), but it's obscenely large.

I don't want this ugly thing, and I don't know where to put it. I'd have to put it on the floor next to my hifi setup. Absolutely absurd.

I always get consoles day one, but this.. I need to think about it. Wait for a black one, or maybe a slim version if it doesn't take too long.

Not the point, you posted a picture trying to conflate the Series X not fitting and didn't even have the self awareness to realize the PlayStation 5 wouldn't fit in this spot either.

You're oblivious.

Let's talk about consoles which exist shall we, we all know the Series S isn't real.

The PS5 will fit under more TVs than the XSX was my point. You added an inch on top of the PS5's size to make it seem like they would both encounter the same issues, but that's hardly the case. The PS5 was designed with a thinner comparative design for that exact purpose. Microsoft was willing to completely forego that with their design and it's evident.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Let's talk about consoles which exist shall we, we all know the Series S isn't real.

The PS5 will fit under more TVs than the XSX was my point. You added an inch on top of the PS5's size to make it seem like they would both encounter the same issues, but that's hardly the case. The PS5 was designed with a thinner comparative design for that exact purpose. Microsoft was willing to completely forego that with their design and it's evident.

I'd love that see some receipts for this.

Are you sure about that? Because the fact of the matter is most entertainment centers have horizontal compartmentalization than any kind of perceived vertical issue. My Laserdisc player could fit in most entertainment centers, this is a totally false concern.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The truth of the matter is the XSX is slightly taller. I don't think most entertainment centers would be constrained by size horizontally, since you'll probably put two consoles on a shelf regardless. Both of them will probably fit in most entertainment centers.

The issue for me is the PS5 is ugly as hell, and it being huge and ugly is a double whammy.

Thicker than I expected, but I didn’t buy it because I wanted a piece if console art next to my TV.

That said, it strikes me that those worried might prefer the console in the vertical position to hide those THIC hips.

The truth of the matter is the XSX is slightly taller. I don't think most entertainment centers would be constrained by size horizontally, since you'll probably put two consoles on a shelf regardless. Both of them will probably fit in most entertainment centers.

The issue for me is the PS5 is ugly as hell, and it being huge and ugly is a double whammy.
The issue for me as well is it's considerably uglier when laid horizontally, the design cues like the Series X were vertically focused.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The XSX is taller when placed horizontally what do we need proof of?

Of these entertainment centers that can't fit the series X horizontally. You keep claiming ps5 will fit under more tvs and posted a single TV stand that won't, and it probably wouldn't fit the ps5 either as the ps5 is taller than the series S and the series S barely fits, and are now trying to claim the series X will somehow just be too big to fit under a lot of peoples tv stands.

Edit: here's what you said

Can Xbox Series X actually fit in any body's entertainment unit? Probably not.

So back up your claim.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The issue for me as well is it's considerably uglier when laid horizontally, the design cues like the Series X were vertically focused.
6da62c9d-9f01-490e-8830-b5c5faf2000a_1.1b90e4c333a09f985a6e93c09f6fb17d.jpeg

My EC is sort of similar to this, but wood and without the two columns on the side. I got it specifically to be open and not trap air inside tiny shelf compartments.

That ugly, giant white, lopsided eyesore is going to look like a fisher price toy.

Of these entertainment centers that can't fit the series X horizontally. You keep claiming ps5 will fit under more tvs and posted a single TV stand that won't, and it probably wouldn't fit the ps5 either as the ps5 is taller than the series S and the series S barely fits, and are now trying to claim the series X will somehow just be too big to fit under a lot of peoples tv stands.

So back up your claim.

Yes. Most typical entertainment units below TVs are not constrained horizontally but they are vertically. The Series X is taller than the PS5 when placed horizontally thus it is logical to deduce that it will struggle to fit in more units than the PS5. What is so hard to understand about this?

Bryank75

Banned
You're only taking the max dimensions on an object that has many curves and the minimum measurements on the same axis are quite different to the max ones. So the volume you came to is likely a long ways off.

So back up your claim.
Don't bother, the height and width language of my entertainment center is more indicative of general overall dimensional design both horizontally and vertically.

The guy is off his rocker. Series X won't be a problem for basically anyone.

20200919_145705.jpg

20200919_145638.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're only taking the max dimensions on an object that has many curves and the minimum measurements on the same axis are quite different to the max ones. So the volume you came to is likely a long ways off.
True if this is math class trying to find the volume of an object.

But the calculation is valid for everyday usage since tv stand shelves are not built to contour to the shape of a curved device like PS5.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom