• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the PlayStation 5's size....

Tevious

The PS5 is the exact width (or height if stood up) of my cubby space for it. I'm worried that even if I could get it to fit, the airflow will be an issue on that side. So I will likely have to come up with someplace else to put it. It's another reason why I hate the design aesthetic they went with. Those white plastic side panels that overhang the edge with that "collar" design is taking up valuable space.

Well before it was hypothesized, now it's a reality.

No, we already had this thread:
But whatever, this thread is already bigger.

bender

What time is it?
PS5 has so many knocks against it yet people here are trying to make me feel crazy for backing Xbox at launch.

giphy.gif

DESTROYA

I call total bullshit on that, I've seen about a thousand entertainment centers in peoples homes and I can tell you right now that this is an edge case design..

Few and I mean FEW are this thin vertically, you're looking for poor examples. Anyone with a brain can see that.
You’ve been in thousands of houses and memorized what kind of entertainment center they have ? :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:
I call bullshit on that !

Keihart

IT'S BIG but it's supposed to be cool.
PS4 was kinda of an outlier since all the other ones were pretty chunkier for their time, i wonder how the slim it's going to be.

HarryKS

Brah, just put it on the the ground next to the tv. Problem fixed.

There's plenty of other battlegrounds you can explore.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I remember when Sony could engineer small compact products case in point PS4 vs Xbox One.

They got lazy with PS5 or that overclock has nictitated bigger cooling and the engineers had no choice. The higher power draw vs series x is also puzzling.

Last edited:
You’ve been in thousands of houses and memorized what kind of entertainment center they have ? :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:
I call bullshit on that !
I work in 4-5 homes per day, everyday, and have been for the last decade. I've been in thousands, and thousands of homes....

I remember when Sony could engineer small compact products case in point PS4 vs Xbox One.

They got lazy with PS5 or that overclock has nictitated bigger cooling and the engineers had no choice. The higher power draw vs series x is also puzzling.
I think it's pretty clear that Microsoft has surpassed them in hardware engineering.

PlayStation 5 is 54% larger, has a 100 watt higher power draw and is computationally inferior. They should have just done what Microsoft did and spend the extra money on hardware instead of trying to jimmy rig their system to get there.

Last edited:

lachesis

Company's motto used to be "Small is beautiful" IIRC...
I will look forward the next iteration of inevitable re-design of the console in 3 years, when it really hits its stride to the mass market.

Iced Arcade

It's probably due to the jet engine noise level of a gen Sony had with the PS4.

I'll take it's big fugly look over another noisy ass console.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Don't bother, the height and width language of my entertainment center is more indicative of general overall dimensional design both horizontally and vertically.

The guy is off his rocker. Series X won't be a problem for basically anyone.

20200919_145705.jpg

20200919_145638.jpg
Both machines can fit in my media cabinet, either standing or lying down, because I can remove or adjust the position of the middle shelf on each side (one of which is closed in the following picture).

C8fUHij.jpg

LOLCats

Banned

the ps4 and pro suck for cooling, imo both complete design failures.

Last edited:

Rac3r

It's 5.94" on its side, the PS5 is 4.09" on its side, with the stand probably nearer to 5"...

It's not like they're worlds apart in this regard.

Thickness is the bigger issue for me (and I’d imagine most people). If the Xbox was an inch thinner then it would fit inside my tv stand, whereas the PS5 is likely to fit on its side without any issues. If you’re trying to fit a single device onto a shelf in a tv stand, length won’t matter 99% of the time (unless you put multiple devices on a shelf).

Either way vertical positioning seems to be the move for both systems, and this is a pretty pointless discussion.

Can Xbox Series X actually fit in any body's entertainment unit? Probably not. I don't care how wide or deep the PS5 is, it can fit in my unit. the XSX would have to sit on top of it. That's not acceptable.

If one of these fit, both the PS5 and Xbox both fix on their sides.

3IYDJIq.jpg

Most stands are designed to hold one, they are all about 420mm wide, 140mm tall (+feet), and around 300mm deep accounting for the faceplate and knobs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If one of these fit, both the PS5 and Xbox both fix on their sides.

3IYDJIq.jpg

Most stands are designed to hold one, they are all about 420mm wide, 140mm tall (+feet), and around 300mm deep accounting for the faceplate and knobs.
His FUD about Series X was that the norm for tv stands is something like this, so you can't do horizontal placement of Series X.

What he forgot was that a flat PS5 won't fit either, so he zipped his mouth soon after. Even if it barely fits with the stand, it'll have no space for ventilation.
Most people have units like this which don't have the tallest shelves. This is Tom Warren's. Most people are going to have to put the Series X on top. The PS5 is far easier to fit in a traditional shelf than the XSX. No question.

Ehki6whWAAIIAu2

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It would seem that a split motherboard design is considerably more intelligent construction to ideally make use of space. I just find it crazy how you can have a computationally weaker system and it's this much larger, the largest console ever created.

Will this system actually present a problem for some of you putting it in your entertainment centers?

There's more total hardware in the PS5, than there is in the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

MaulerX

I thought it was fake?

Someone did one of those Photoshop infrared image checks and the PS5 looked Photoshopped in???

From what I understand it was inconclusive. The way the test was made didn't really prove it was fake.

And now that we have official dimensions and that new over-the-top picture (which matches this exactly) there's zero chance it was fake.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I must have missed the decibel measurements released for each console. My bad.

Also, the competition isn't that much smaller.

1 140mm fan using the console design to draw air across the entire console is going to be quieter than what ever blower style setup the PS5 is using, then take into account that the XSX uses less power than the PS5 and thus generates less heat. Again, it leads to the conclusion that it's going to produce less noise.

And today, on neogaf, I found out that being ~50% larger is "not that much" 🤡

LOL! I meant to say "There's more total hardware in the PS5, than the XSX."
What are you talking about? Physically there should be less, it's not about the total hardware either, it's about how it was built.

Sony went with the traditional single PCB which requires a larger footprint, Microsoft split their PCB into two halves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom