• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you imagine how beautiful the Wolverine game will be?

Flutta

Banned
brb-imagination.gif
First time you are not making shit up. You guys are experts at imagining things since it's your slogan an all :messenger_beaming:
LaunchPost_HERO.jpg

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Spiderman 2 announcement trailer was dark and gritty too and we ended up with the panderverse.

No it won’t. Look at the initial Spider-Man 2 trailer reveal. It looked like they were going for a much darker, mature tone.

Game turned out to be the same Sunday morning cartoon like Spider-Man 1 was. Insomniac doesn’t have it in them to make a mature game. Or at least, they haven’t showed that at all.

How-to-draw-Wolverine-for-kids-1.jpg
Wasn’t it just Spider-man at night?

images

StueyDuck

Wasn’t it just Spider-man at night?

images
I mean that's just a screenshot. The trailer showed both of them beating on a singular dude quite viciously, using the iron spider even then a scary voice from the shadows as a mysterious figure is lurking nearby. Literally ending on a horror flash of venom, cutting to a jet black spiderman logo.

They definitely sold a darker tone with the trailer

Last edited:

Larxia

The environments won't be nearly as detailed without using mesh shaders. The future tech UE5 showcased in that demo years ago are now coming into fruition. We have entered the transition period. Alot of these devs are going to get left behind with their old tech engines. Remedy made sure they got ahead of the curve.
Why do you keep talking about "mesh shaders"? People saw that in Alan Wake 2 and now it's the hype thing that has to be everywhere? RDR2 is still the best looking game out there and didn't use that, you can have amazing looking game without super specific techs.
I feel like people now really get too attached to specific names and stuff rather than just enjoying how pretty a game is.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I mean that's just a screenshot. The trailer showed both of them beating on a singular dude quite viciously, using the iron spider even then a scary voice from the shadows as a mysterious figure is lurking nearby. Literally ending on a horror flash of venom, cutting to a jet black spiderman logo.

I was referring to graphics, the tone for Wolverine is already confirmed to be gory.

Mister Wolf

Why do you keep talking about "mesh shaders"? People saw that in Alan Wake 2 and now it's the hype thing that has to be everywhere? RDR2 is still the best looking game out there and didn't use that, you can have amazing looking game without super specific techs.
I feel like people now really get too attached to specific names and stuff rather than just enjoying how pretty a game is.

People saw Mesh Shaders in the UE5 demos long before Alan Wake 2. RDR 2 looks old as hell now and I'm currently playing it maxed on PC. Put it next to Alan Wake 2 or the UE5 demos and it looks dated. Hopefully Rockstar updated their engine to support them. Its also time for Rockstar to move on from baked lighting. The abrupt time of day transitions in RDR2 are jarring.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I don't expect a large graphical jump. Insomniac are about quantity for Sony. Their engine won't be using mesh shaders or raytraced lighting which are the two next gen tech features for this gen.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-PS5-Smooth-Combat-4-K60-FPS-GAMEPLAY-6-37-screenshot.png
Mesh shaders and raytraced gi are not necessary to have noticable jump in graphics (for example compare graphics in cutsenses to normal game, significal jump in quality without mesh shaders and changes in gi), especialy when they will target (I assume) more linear game.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Mesh shaders and raytraced go are not necessary to have noticable jump in graphics (for example compare graphics in cutsenses to normal game, significal jump in quality without mesh shaders and changes in go), especialy when they will target (I assume) more linear game.

Well when you can show me a game thats not using them and has the high polygon environmental detail of Alan Wake 2 or the UE5 demos then I will believe you.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I was referring to graphics, the tone for Wolverine is already confirmed to be gory.
But graphics nor gore equals dark and gritty. I wouldn't call MK1 or Dead island 2 dark or gritty and they have great graphics and gore

That is tone and they indeed tried to sell spiderman 2 as a darker in tone with its trailer.

I also don't think you are going to be getting much gore in wolverine either, they used pretty loosey goosey terms when describing violence in wolverine. I don't think that teaser trailer represents anything in the final product, it was a CG trailer after all. I expect much pandering to have taken place by the ones who have infiltrated

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

The gameplay loop for a Wolverine game won't be that easy to pull off. I'm curious to see the Insomniac take on it. Graphically, I expect an evolution of what they delivered this gen, RT reflections and the same core technology. Assuming a PS5 Pro, they might implement RT shadows and/or RTAO. As for RTGI I'm skeptical with it, their bake GI solution is very good.

Laieon

The finisher shown in the trailer is literally in the final game.

Venom ends the game looking like this, which is definitely "dark". Hell, there's entire mission where
you play as him and just slaughter anyone who gets in your way.

The "mysterious figure lurking nearby" is all prominent throughout the vast majority of the game.

I don't think the trailer promised anything that the game didn't deliver.
Kraven asks "someone to give me what I desire", Venom says "We will", and beat for beat that's exactly what happens in the game.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The finisher shown in the trailer is literally in the final game.

Venom ends the game looking like this, which is definitely "dark". Hell, there's entire mission where
you play as him and just slaughter anyone who gets in your way.

The "mysterious figure lurking nearby" is all prominent throughout the vast majority of the game.

I don't think the trailer promised anything that the game didn't deliver.

I never said the finisher isn't In the game.

I'm talking about the tone of the game. I am one of the 10% or whatever who has platinumed the game so you don't need to try and justify anything. What that trailer sold and what we got were two different things.

That mission hardly anyone gets slaughtered, literally only that one death at the end of that whole segment and even then they shy away from doing anything with it cause we had to go back to pandering straight away.

Spiderman 2 was like a wet dream of a San Franciscan 20 something that just pandered its way to success.

Literally nothing thematically about the game was dark or gritty.

Last edited:

Larxia

People saw Mesh Shaders in the UE5 demos long before Alan Wake 2. RDR 2 looks old as hell now and I'm currently playing it maxed on PC. Put it next to Alan Wake 2 or the UE5 demos and it looks dated. Hopefully Rockstar updated their engine to support them. Its also time for Rockstar to move on from baked lighting. The abrupt time of day transitions in RDR2 are jarring.
I'm not sure what to say, Alan Wake 2 really doesn't look special at all to me, just regular, especially for a linear game, I think RDR2 looks way better and more impressive.

Last edited:

Yamisan

I had completely forgotten about it; he is the only character I like. I am hoping it does not get canceled.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m legit worried that Logan will be played by a trans black deaf and blind girl at this point.

Insomniac games are quality but the agenda they have is in your face way too often.

I also suspect any female leads present will make MJ in spidey 2 look like a bane in comparison.

I’ll be the first to admit I was singing and praising Insomniac prior to Spider-Man 2 release, but the game just goes out of its way to hit you over the head with inclusion and other stupid shit that it begins to detract from the actual game.

Maybe a different part of insomniac will work on world building to not be like Spider-Man 2s.

I suspect the gameplay will be tip top, visuals aces, and will have a fantastic story. That is enough for me and if it’s riddled with crap in the side stuff I will just skip all of it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I hope it has set levels and is not an open world game. That would likely make the game look even better.
I'm kind of expecting something similar to God of War reboot. Behind the back camera up close with the z-target combat. Probably some stealth as well with brutal kill animations. I doubt it will be linear, but it will probably be wide linear at least.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I'm kind of expecting something similar to God of War reboot. Behind the back camera up close with the z-target combat. Probably some stealth as well with brutal kill animations. I doubt it will be linear, but it will probably be wide linear at least.
I’m cool with this.

Blindy

Would be a terrible miss if there isn't some beautiful Japanese scenery with fights vs Lady Deathstrike & Silver Samurai involved. Can even do Siberia with Omega Red and wilderness with Sabretooth.

There's certainly potential just have to hope Insomniac nails it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well when you can show me a game thats not using them and has the high polygon environmental detail of Alan Wake 2 or the UE5 demos then I will believe you.
mesh shaders will give you more performance but typically its 20% more performance. its not this huge game changing thing.

Starfield and Callisto Protocol have some really high quality assets id say on par with AW2. AW2 does have better lighting so maybe using mesh shaders allowed them to push other visual features.

overall though, i think insomniac CAN still use their ratchet engine and push the level of detail as long as they are willing to use the PS5 GPU to render higher level of detail assets, better lighting and other visuals effects instead of simply 8.2 million pixels to hit native 4k like they have all gen.

0yMJLBs.gif

oTOj0r3.gif

Hugare

*Beautiful and Brave

I kid, it will probably be preety good

But I'm not 100% sure 'cause I reaaaally didnt like Spider-man 2 (loved 2018 and MM)

mesh shaders will give you more performance but typically its 20% more performance. its not this huge game changing thing.

Starfield and Callisto Protocol have some really high quality assets id say on par with AW2. AW2 does have better lighting so maybe using mesh shaders allowed them to push other visual features.

overall though, i think insomniac CAN still use their ratchet engine and push the level of detail as long as they are willing to use the PS5 GPU to render higher level of detail assets, better lighting and other visuals effects instead of simply 8.2 million pixels to hit native 4k like they have all gen.

0yMJLBs.gif

oTOj0r3.gif

I'm Callisto's number 1 deffender on this forum, but it's far from the geometry complexity of AW 2, so is Starfield.

It's a very linear game with industrial spaces. It doesnt have lush forrests or the amount of trash seen in Alan's campaign in NY.

Even last gen consoles were able to run the game

And Starfield looks great due to art style, but technically its not doing anything impressive.

You get to an actual open field in Starfield, like a planet that you've just landed, and you'll see how starved the game is in terms of geometric detail

Mesh shaders is not only about quality, but quantity

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

*Beautiful and Brave

I kid, it will probably be preety good

But I'm not 100% sure 'cause I reaaaally didnt like Spider-man 2 (loved 2018 and MM)

I'm Callisto's number 1 deffender on this forum, but it's far from the geometry complexity of AW 2, so is Starfield.

It's a very linear game with industrial spaces. It doesnt have lush forrests or the amount of trash seen in Alan's campaign in NY.

Even last gen consoles were able to run the game

And Starfield looks great due to art style, but technically its not doing anything impressive.

You get to an actual open field in Starfield, like a planet that you've just landed, and you'll see how starved the game is in terms of geometric detail

Mesh shaders is not only about quality, but quantity

When that initial PS5 UE5 demo dropped it was the talk of the town with several arguments resulting in people getting banned. Now that the tech is finally being used it's like "that stuff is no big deal" because people's favorite developers aren't using it. Bullshit.

Last edited:

Hugare

When that initial PS5 UE5 demo dropped it was the talk of the town with several arguments resulting in people getting banned. Now that the tech is finally being used it's like "that stuff is no big deal" because people's favorite developers aren't using it. Bullshit.
Its wild that Sony 1st party devs arent using stuff like Primitive shaders yet

I hope that Sucker Punch next game or ND will upgrade their engines with these features, 'cause their games are probably the next ones in line.

Mister Wolf

Its wild that Sony 1st party devs arent using stuff like Primitive shaders yet

I hope that Sucker Punch next game or ND will upgrade their engines with these features, 'cause their games are probably the next ones in line.

I got my money on Guerilla being the first to implement primitive shaders into their engine.

Laieon

What that trailer sold and what we got were two different things.

As I said in my post, I completely disagree.

This is a game that, at the end of the day, was also going to be developed as a family friendly game; it's a Spider-Man game after all, so if you were looking for ultra violence and grim dark stuff, then you were just never going to get that. We got exactly what that trailer was selling. We got Venom, we got Kraven, we got two Spider-dudes, and we got a bunch of generic enemies being thrown around like ragdolls.

Oh I can imagine it alright

d72BL3P.jpg

CAN'T. FUCKING. WAIT.

She's great! The Jump is a lot of fun.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
GUYS !

PS360 cgi in real time is something for PS6

I don't know if this current generation will make something so amazing...

But I hope to see amazing graphics with geometry and textures near to that PS360 cgi..
Well, maybe with 4x or 5x the PS5 Slim/Fat power we'll reach that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood cgi level!

I mean, i don't know if Assassins will touch that level, but maybe another linear game at the right time!

Take a look!

hyperbertha

Just like Most Marvel Movies? Most these games target audience are people who enjoy Marvel movies.
Wolverine games are usually awesome. They are mature rated ( atleast Wolverine origins was). I just don't think a woke pg13 studio like insomniac will do Wolverine justice. They will strip it off all masculinity and gore.

hyperbertha

Without baked lighting they better have full ray traced gi. Abrupt day time transitions are still better than shitty raster graphics like the ac games.

hyperbertha

You kidding? Fucking ac unity runs circles around rdr2. What a joke.

Larxia

You kidding? Fucking ac unity runs circles around rdr2. What a joke.
I really don't know what to say... Yes Unity had a great art direction and lighting, but RDR2 just looks so much better it's not even comparable. The scale, the level of detail, the geometry, the materials, the drawing distance, all the crazy little details everywhere, I don't see how you can think ac unity has better graphics.

Top Bottom