• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you imagine the next Super Mario graphics? Or How the game will be?

Would love to see them follow the movies art style but HIGHLY doubt it, still waiting for them to even try and reach what they showed with the Zelda WiiU demo which will probably never get.

Fuz

Banned
Would love to see them follow the movies art style
No.
We have lost too much.
Wq6ks2v.png

The Switch 2 will likely have graphics similar to the PS4, so I would expect the next Mario to be comparable to the Ratchet remake, maybe with a little less detail.

HighPoly

Banned
I can imagine, they'll still be, at the very least, one generation behind the current games we have now on consoles.

I bet the game will be great, but visually, it's not going to be pushing any boundaries in the industry.
you need to consider the fact we never saw a 3D Mario running on a 1,4 Teraflops ~ 1,8 Teraflops machine.
imagine a new Mario running on a 1,4TF(Xbox One,) machine? I mean, not like Super Luke's Tale, that is worse than Mario Odyssey.
i mean a game totally made from the ground by NINTENDO using more than 1 teraflop.
I've heard Ratchet Clank Rift Apart will run on a simple Steam Deck, sure, without ray tracing or 4k resolution, but still running.
so, if NINTENDO work hard to make a beautiful MARIO, we can expect something unbelieveble!

you need to consider the fact we never saw a 3D Mario running on a 1,4 Teraflops ~ 1,8 Teraflops machine.
imagine a new Mario running on a 1,4TF(Xbox One,) machine? I mean, not like Super Luke's Tale, that is worse than Mario Odyssey.
i mean a game totally made from the ground by NINTENDO using more than 1 teraflop.
I've heard Ratchet Clank Rift Apart will run on a simple Steam Deck, sure, without ray tracing or 4k resolution, but still running.
so, if NINTENDO work hard to make a beautiful MARIO, we can expect something unbelieveble!
I've seen plenty of GAMES running at those specs, though. Nintendo games have been 1 or 2 generations behind for a while. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

HighPoly

Banned
I've seen plenty of GAMES running at those specs, though. Nintendo games have been 1 or 2 generations behind for a while. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Two generations is an exageration.. We've seen DOOM ETERNAL and The Witcher 3 running on that Tablet, so it seems like Switch is a kind a low-low end machine from 2013, released in 2017, but stills being a machine capable of runnig those games you know?
No matter how worse the Nintendo Switch is in comparison with PS4 and Xbox One, that machine still runnig those games.

I mean, I'm not telling you that, Switch will be a kind of a compact RTX 4090, with CGi level graphics in real time!!! No! that's not true, but I'm telling you that a console with around 1,6 Teraflops, using a kind of DLSS upscaling, and games with a PS4 Slim level graphics is a good visual jump from what the first Switch is doing now.

Remember! Now we have diferent kinds of Upscale in the market, so we may see some of those on the next console. NINTENDO doesn't need to run games in 4k at 60fps. They will probably use 720p, 900p or 1080p with upscaling methods, maybe DLSS 2 cause they are using Nvidia archtectures nowdays.
So if they use DLSS, the usage of resources will be invested in graphics. So you need to have in mind, what PS4 or XONE are doing now, even without DLSS or Fidelity FX.
I mean, PS4 runs Horizon Forbidden West and Last of us 2 :messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth:

Take that power and make a new Mario, with better geometry and textures!! Don't forget that graphical jump from PS4 to PS5, are not showing their evolution yet. We don't know how far this generation is gonna be, in comparison with the last gen. But you are free to tell me your perspective, don't worry, I like to discuss. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Someone is just out from theaters !

Super Mario Bros Movie Fire GIF by Leroy Patterson

You will get slightly better graphics than Odyssey and you will happy, that's it. Forget the movie.

I would be so happy to be wrong.

Fire Mario GIF by Vienna Pitts

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Someone is just out from theaters !

Super Mario Bros Movie Fire GIF by Leroy Patterson

You will get slightly better graphics than Odyssey and you will happy, that's it. Forget the movie.

I would be so happy to be wrong.

Fire Mario GIF by Vienna Pitts
The movie's graphic is something for 20 years ahaead...
We need to consider the fact we're running the early 2000's and PS2 CGi in real time, right now, around 20 years later...
So I can't imagine NINTENDO releasing a Tablet with Mario's movie graphics in less than 20 years...

HighPoly

Banned
Are you saying I'm wrong?

Switch is nowhere near PS4 level hardware. I'd be surprised if their next console even hits that level, and it will still be in its mid-life when PS6 hits.
hey, I'm not joking you! I'm serious! Did you really read my last post?
I was telling you that we're near to PS4 right now on the current Switch. Or close to PS360 as you said.
But in this next gen we're gonna take so much technologies!
I mean, DLSS or Fidelity FX, or even their own NINTENDO Uspacling, to make games look like native 4k, on TVs.
Then we'll get a tablet with around 1,4 or 1,8 Teraflops, rendering PS4 level graphics, or even more. Ok, without Ray Tracing anyway...
This current generation didn't show us anything really next gen yet, and I believe the diference between this gen, and the last gen, will be lower than PS3 to PS4.
Seems like the new Switch, will be able of rendering all multiplataform games, but in lower resolution, and assets like ray tracing.
if a simple PS4 runs Forbidden West, imagine how beautiful next NINTENDO franchise will be!

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
You mean art direction? right?

Who cares about the graphics. Odyssey was great, Bowser's Fury was greater, I can't wait to see open sandbox Mario.

HighPoly

Banned
You mean art direction? right?

Who cares about the graphics. Odyssey was great, Bowser's Fury was greater, I can't wait to see open sandbox Mario.
yes, beautiful graphically and artistic, cause we'll see a pretty amazing jump from the old Switch to another one, and then NINTENDO will make their artistical miracles!!!

NahaNago

Ratchet and Clank will still blow it out the water graphically. I would lower any hype you have for the next super mario game when it comes to graphics.

HighPoly

Banned
Ratchet and Clank will still blow it out the water graphically. I would lower any hype you have for the next super mario game when it comes to graphics.
I don't understand you guys... Back 2017 when we saw the first trailer of Mario Odyssey. Was amazing, even in a Tablet console.
Remember guys, we're gonna take some 1,5 to 1,8 Teraflop machine from NINTENDO, using some kind of Upscaling, like DLSS.
Everything is gonna be new in terms of 3D Mario, like, level desing and graphics... Remember Xbox One runs Gears 5, and PS4 runs Forbidden West.
Imagine how beautiful games will look on next Switch, the same power to bring Forbiden West, being used to make a new Mario.
This is not about how Mario will look compared to Ratchet Clank Rfit Apart, it's about how beautiful Mario will look compared to Mario Odyssey!!!!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It's well documented that Nintendo clearly don't give a rosy red fuck about graphics or power. I doubt that will change with Switch 2. All that matters is how good the games are to play, and they've been nailing that for years.

NahaNago

I don't understand you guys... Back 2017 when we saw the first trailer of Mario Odyssey. Was amazing, even in a Tablet console.
Remember guys, we're gonna take some 1,5 to 1,8 Teraflop machine from NINTENDO, using some kind of Upscaling, like DLSS.
Everything is gonna be new in terms of 3D Mario, like, level desing and graphics... Remember Xbox One runs Gears 5, and PS4 runs Forbidden West.
Imagine how beautiful games will look on next Switch, the same power to bring Forbiden West, being used to make a new Mario.
This is not about how Mario will look compared to Ratchet Clank Rfit Apart, it's about how beautiful Mario will look compared to Mario Odyssey!!!!
As an outsider to the whole mario odyssey game since I still haven't played my copy I can only go by trailers and I thought the game looked kinda meh when it comes to the graphics.

What you say in terms of the upscaling like dlss does sound impressive but this is Nintendo so I'm still just expecting the game to look simply just solid. Trying to compare a graphic powerhouse like Forbidden West on the ps4 to whatever Nintendo will do with the next Mario game just doesn't seem wise. I do hope the next Mario game absolutely impresses graphically , I just don't expect it to.

BlackTron

All this Bowser's Fury talk has me thinking I need to play it finally, was it THAT amazing? 3D World was a tough sell having already bought the game full price on WiiU and beat it eons ago

Edit: These are the moments emulating that shit is tempting. I wish Nintendo would throw me a bone for already having the game. Come on guys I bought like ten full price day one U games as the world shunned you. Give me a break for once man

Last edited:

MagnesD3

All this Bowser's Fury talk has me thinking I need to play it finally, was it THAT amazing? 3D World was a tough sell having already bought the game full price on WiiU and beat it eons ago

Edit: These are the moments emulating that shit is tempting. I wish Nintendo would throw me a bone for already having the game. Come on guys I bought like ten full price day one U games as the world shunned you. Give me a break for once man

It's my 3rd favorite 3D Mario game behind 64 and Galaxy 2. I 100% it 2 weeks in a row, the worst thing about it is its short, Cat mario is Op, the Bowser timer needs a little adjusting and bowser Blocks are currently lame but otherwise it's the future of mario hopefully.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's my 3rd favorite 3D Mario game behind 64 and Galaxy 2. I 100% it 2 weeks in a row, the worst thing about it is its short, Cat mario is Op, the Bowser timer needs a little adjustmenting and bowser Blocks are currently lame but otherwise it's the future of mario hopefully.

Those are also my two favorite 3D Mario's, in that order, so that's saying something. I didn't realize it was big enough to call a "game" even if short.

Guess I really bought the shit version of 3D world lol

MagnesD3

Those are also my two favorite 3D Mario's, in that order, so that's saying something. I didn't realize it was big enough to call a "game" even if short.

Guess I really bought the shit version of 3D world lol

It's good to see someone have excellent 3d mario tastes. Galaxy 2 is the best 3d mario and I wish more people would talk about it, I have to be honest in that I love 64 more though due to it being the best "type" of 3d mario IMO (even though it has yet to be perfected) and nostalgia.

It's like 8 hours to 100% if I recall but my second playthrough I think I got it down in 5, it's so much fun to just blast through. All it needs is to create that formula on a bigger scale with more variety of lands to explore/shmove through and it could become the best 3d mario game no joke. I am hoping they retire the Cat Mario Suit tho after this game, it's just too OP and takes away challenge too many times.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
To me, if the Switch 2 can simply just output 4K resolution, that will be good enough
today for the first time in all the time i've owned a 4K tv and a Switch i hooked my switch up to the TV. For YEARS i've read how awful switch looks on 4K tvs but it looks good to me. i really don't know if the switch rendering at 4K would make any difference. the textures could be better but the image quality looks really good. until now i was playing on my 1440p pc monitor. perhaps my TV is doing something to the image to improve it but i didn't change any settings on it.

switch 2 definitely does need support for 4K though or at the very least DLSS support so the games can render at lower res and upscale to 4K.

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I just really want Nintendo to get into the "beefy system" game again. Even if it's not AS beefy, please make it beefier than the Switch is/was compared to the PS4/XB1 and PS5/XBX. I wouldn't mind if they were still in third in terms of hardware performance, but, at least bump your tiers up so your third place gap isn't THAT wide, lol.

The funny thing about Bower's Fury is that this had already neen done with Jak and Daxter. One giant world where all the levels are seemlessly incorporated.. They could have done this with Isle Delphino. A cross between Maro Odyssey and Jak and Daxter would be superb. Still amazed with Jak to this day.

MagnesD3

The funny thing about Bower's Fury is that this had already neen done with Jak and Daxter. One giant world where all the levels are seemlessly incorporated.. They could have done this with Isle Delphino. A cross between Maro Odyssey and Jak and Daxter would be superb. Still amazed with Jak to this day.
Bowers Fury is very different from Jak 1, it is constantly opening new areas of the map based on you collecting shines, when you complete a shine the island adapts when you leave and return it automatically changes its layout to a new shine challenge, also pressie is an incredibly fun way to traverse through the world, they are only comparable in that they are both 3d Platformers honestly.

SHA

Mario design doesn't even have polygons, Mario world is as weird as a non pixelated triangleless 3d objects, it's a world as effective as strong drugs.

FunkMiller

Super Mario Bros just made over a billion at the box office.

The next Mario game will strive to look as much like it as possible.

Knightime_X

If Switch 2 can produce Ratchet and Clank ps4 levels of graphics at 60fps /1440p I'll be VERY pleased.
I think I'm already asking for too much as is.

Top Bottom