• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada to introduce legislation to decriminalize recreational cannabis in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada’s Liberal government will introduce legislation to decriminalise and regulate recreational marijuana in spring 2017, according to the health minister, Jane Philpott.

The prime minister, Justin Trudeau, promised during last year’s election campaign that his government would legalise recreational marijuana, following the US states of Washington and Colorado, but the time frame has been unclear.

Philpott, speaking on Wednesday at a special session of the UN general assembly in New York on drug problems around the world, said the Canadian law will ensure marijuana is kept away from children and will keep criminals from profiting from its sale.

“We will work with law enforcement partners to encourage appropriate and proportionate criminal justice measures,” she said. “We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem.“

Former Toronto police chief Bill Blair, the government’s point man on legalisation, has emphasised that current laws that make marijuana illegal remain in effect.

Medical marijuana is a separate issue from recreational marijuana in Canada and is already legal. Canada’s medical marijuana growers say a jump in the number of illegal marijuana dispensaries as the federal government decides how to regulate the drug is costing them customers.

Medical marijuana patients in Canada are set to regain the right to grow their own cannabis after a federal court judge in March struck down the ban introduced by the previous Conservative government.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...minalize-recreational-cannabis-weed-marijuana

About time, glad the government didn't forget it's election promise. Hilarious that they announced this on 4/20 lol.

It's still a long ways off, unfortunately. They'll introduce the bill next year, then it has to go through readings, debates, and consultations, then a vote, then the Senate has to pass it, then provinces have to pass to their own legislation on how to distribute it...

I'd say late 2018 is when anyone will realistically be able to walk into a store and buy some. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Awesome. It's crazy how the industry boomed here in WA state. There are literally (yes literally) two dozen shops I can drive to in under 10 minutes here to buy some weed for recreational use. The shops are clean, and the atmosphere is friendly and positive. There are local magazines and educational articles published about weed all the time here. People are happy about it. Nobody gives a fuck. It's a beautiful thing, really.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd say the zeitgeist has moved along to the point that decriminalization looks backwards.

Just legalize it, and let's stop living this absolute farce that it is anyway harmful to individuals or society.

Edit: I guess the article implies full legalization. The use of the word "decriminalization" in the title and introduction really muddies the meaning. Decriminalization has typically meant you won't be arrested, but you'll get a fine or some similar punishment.

darscot

I'd say the zeitgeist has moved along to the point that decriminalization looks backwards.

Just legalize it, and let's stop living this absolute farce that it is anyway harmful to individuals or society.

Yeah I completely agree, I want to see what this legislation actually is, but just make it legal.

lets hope that the stupid Provinces get their heads out of their asses and adapt to be able to make a prof fit out of legal weed like Colorado.

This would be a big money generator

Jebusman

Banned
lets hope that the stupid Provinces get their heads out of their asses and adapt to be able to make a prof fit out of legal weed like Colorado.

This would be a big money generator

Guarantee you that Nova Scotia will be on that immediately. Liberal party already has all the branches of the government locked up, so it'll be an easy pass so long as they actually get around to it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Trailer Park Boys are going to have a scheme cooked up for this, just you watch!

I realize they did an entire movie about this

Onemic

Most people drive find. Hell theres been tests and people drive the same

I mostly agree with this, but I think it only applies to veteran smokers. No way in hell would I trust a newbie smoker or someone who smokes very occasionally behind the wheel.

Dazzler

I walked into a dispensary in Vancouver yesterday, was able to consult with the friendly staff about what strain was best for my needs, was able to pay via credit card.

All very civilized and overdue for the rest of the country

Can't wait to be taxed out the ass here in Alberta with the AGLC inevitably taking the reigns. I'll take that $80 1/8th oz. along with my $27 12-pack of brews, thanks. FFS...

Guarantee you that Nova Scotia will be on that immediately. Liberal party already has all the branches of the government locked up, so it'll be an easy pass so long as they actually get around to it.

where the Trailer Park Boys stationed in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick?

Ekdrm2d1

Can't wait to be taxed out the ass here in Alberta with the AGLC inevitably taking the reigns. I'll take that $80 1/8th oz. along with my $27 12-pack of brews, thanks. FFS...

Why won't states earn "free" money via taxing?

Millions, of not billions in tax revenue

Them GOP values tho

On a more serious answer. Wonder if the states earn more money for locking pot smokers up.

Good on Trudeau for reinforcing that they will follow through on this. It's obvious the current system just doesn't work.

Why won't states earn "free" money via taxing?

Millions, of not billions in tax revenue

Them GOP values tho

On a more serious answer. Wonder if the states earn more money for locking pot smokers up.

Maybe not the individual states themselves, but the CEOs of private jails love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom