• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York governor signs bill decriminalizing marijuana use

cryptoadam

Banned

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) on Monday signed a bill decriminalizing the use of marijuana in the state and expunge the records of some people convicted on cannabis-related charges.

"Communities of color have been disproportionately impacted by laws governing marijuana for far too long, and today we are ending this injustice once and for all," Cuomo said in a statement.

"By providing individuals who have suffered the consequences of an unfair marijuana conviction with a path to have their records expunged and by reducing draconian penalties, we are taking a critical step forward in addressing a broken and discriminatory criminal justice process."

The new bill, approved by New York’s state legislature earlier this year, will reduce unlawful marijuana possession to a misdemeanor punishable by a fine.

Its 420 all the time BOI!

Good move by NYC.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good sign, I could see this bringing valuable business even if you're paying a little more than street value because next to dispensaries will be doctors offices where you accumulate medical cards.

jtt935

It’s been way past time to federally decriminalize this. The amount of extra revenue the states could bring in would actually be useful for things like infrastructure but I suppose it just makes too much sense.

a big step closer but practically not much of a change

im feeling like ill be able to buy that shit in a corner store in another year or two

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
a big step closer but practically not much of a change

im feeling like ill be able to buy that shit in a corner store in another year or two
I can't wait for the ads that tell people about how marijuana causes more cancer than regular cigs. I mean we are already getting anti vape commercials. That is what I'm looking forward to in the year (2021).

TacosNSalsa

I hope people realize that decriminalize doesn't mean legal. It just means you don't go to jail for it outright you'll just get a ticket

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Have fun New Yorkers. UK next. I said "within 10 years" 3 years ago and it's looking more and more like we're on track for that.

I hope people realize that decriminalize doesn't mean legal. It just means you don't go to jail for it outright you'll just get a ticket

Indeed, but are cops going to give a flying fuck now unless you're being a douchebag about it? I can't imagine they're gonna knock on the doors on stanky houses. In the UK it's completely illegal and 99% of the police don't give a shit, they've got better stuff to be doing.

TacosNSalsa

Have fun New Yorkers. UK next. I said "within 10 years" 3 years ago and it's looking more and more like we're on track for that.

Indeed, but are cops going to give a flying fuck now unless you're being a douchebag about it? I can't imagine they're gonna knock on the doors on stanky houses. In the UK it's completely illegal and 99% of the police don't give a shit, they've got better stuff to be doing.
I hope so but I have little faith in my fellow New Yorkers that their won't be a visible contingent that will act like douchebags. I've watched someone that got pulled over right in front of my friends stoop where we sitting run a red light blatantly , almost hit someone and bitch at the cop for stopping them .

• LOL
Reactions: AV
Top Bottom